Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Level 5 Balance PvP...?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 15, 2012
Greetings PvP Connoisseurs,

After conducting a long search across numerous social platforms such as YouTube and several Wizard101-related forums sites including this one, I still have yet to encounter a proper answer to the subject at hand. Thus, I have decided to ultimately create a whole new thread raising the question myself:

Is there currently a definite, competitive strategy and deck setup for Level 5 Balance PvP?
(Apologies if this question has already been answered somewhere - I did my absolute best to scour the internet.)

Long story short, I am an aspiring Low Level PvPer who has already acquired all the standard level 5 gear:
-Midsummer's Cowl
-Jacket of Withstanding
-Watchtower Boots
-Ascendant Staff
-Ring of Refreshment, etc.

However, the main reason that I would like to pursue Balance in specific and not any other schools that have well-known, decently effective strategies such as Myth's Orthrus strat, is because of my pet. Earlier, I had watched a couple videos on Youtube regarding low level pvp and took notice of someone who utilized the Clockwork Paladin - a distinct/renowned balance pet that offers an overpowered minion card - and was able to perform what seemed like a super effective strategy.

Seeing how potentially overpowered the minion could be in combat when utilized correctly, I decided to try and replicate the setup by first acquiring a decent Clockwork Paladin pet myself.

Though I am still currently in the hatching process to create the perfect pet, the talents that will be manifested at Mega are:

Spell-Proof 10%), Spell-Defying (5%), Pain-Giver (6%), Balance-Dealer (9%), and Charm Chopper (Maycast Enfeeble)

Given that I've spent hundreds of thousands of gold not to mention dozens of mega snacks hatching over and over again, I would prefer to use this pet to its full potential which is obviously most suitable for a balance wizard.

The only issue, of course, is how to go about the deck setup and overall strategy. Although I have watched a wide variety of pvp on YouTube throughout the years, I have never actually done any real pvp myself, so I am not able to come up with a strategy myself...

So, for all you seasoned pvpers, could you please offer some assistance to a fellow aspiring duelist?

----------
***If you didn't read anything above, here's a summary:

I am looking for a deck setup and detailed strategy sufficient for Level 5 Balance PvP that also makes good use of my would-be pet listed above. I would like it to be reasonably competitive with other popular strategies for low level pvp, and do not mind if the TC's involved in the strategy are expensive. Also, if you find that you cannot come up with something for level 5, how about level 10? As long as it doesn't require new gear, that could possibly work too.

Sorry for the long message, and thank you in advance to anyone who tries to help me out!

Survivor
Aug 31, 2013
I was able to get Veteran on a level 12 ice in the third age, and only had a snow beast with ice dealer, armor piercing, and may cast healing current. I may be able to help a little.

1) Are you using the Heartsteel? You didn't mention it by name, and it is a must-have.

2) I personally like the Footgear of Malediction more, it gives you an item card of hex, which is very helpful.

3) you didn't mention and amulet. If you are doing level 5 pvp, use the elven pendant for the fire elf card. This can help you remove shields more effectively. If you are doing level 10 pvp, you can bring Nightshades Choker for two cards of weakness.

4) What secondaries are you training? Fire might be a good option for fire elf, for the reasons mentioned above.

Now with the deckbuilding. For level 5, you should be using the Antique deck, as it gives you the most of everything you can have at level 5. This will allow you to have 6 cards in your sideboard.

A common strategy would be to have your main hit be judgment. You can definitely do lots of damage with this spell.

Try bringing a card of infalliable (+20% armor piercing and accuracy for 4 rounds, perfect for your level), two or three tower shields, two cards of judgement, and fill the rest with cards of monstrous so you can enchant damage spells in your main deck. Your main deck will most likely be used for healing, using elemental shield, and using scarab, scorpion, and fire elf. Your sideboard is more important. The goal should be to try to save up pips for a big judgment. You can shield and use wand hits to remove tower shields until you have six pips. Then you can use infalliable followed by judgement. If you are going second, and think they are going to shield, you could use an enchanted scarab to remove the shield. The judgement would have a base damage of 875 with no damage or resist applied.

Keep in mind that my pvp skills are a little rusty, but I want to do my best to help. I'd love to start a dialogue!

Survivor
Sep 15, 2012
Hey, thanks for the reply!

As of a few days ago, I came across an experienced Level 6 Warlord in-game, who was generous enough to acquaint me with a particular strategy that I initially had highly doubted would work. However, within only two days, I am now a proud Knight (14-4) and must admit his strategy is so startlingly effective that it's scary. Since I did not yet ask his permission to give away the strategy/deck setup, I'll hold off on that for now unless he's okay with it. With that said, the original purpose of this thread has been fulfilled.

I did however read over your advice for a strategy, which also would most-likely have worked out pretty well. Thanks for taking the time to write it all out! I do appreciate it.
And although I play super defensive to the point where my minion is practically the main source of attack, my major hit is Judgement, yeah.

----------
But to answer your questions, yes, I am indeed rocking the Heartsteel along with everything else you recommend - just forgot to mention it :P.

So for clarification, here is a full list of the items I'm currently using:
Midsummer's Cowl, Jacket of Withstanding, Watchtower Boots, Ascendant Staff, Heartsteel, Ring of Refreshment, Elven Pendant, Antique Deck

I plan to stay put at Level 5, as the gear I have available suits it best. Also, I would prefer to work with what I have, just to save myself the effort of additional grinding/crown spending. If I ever gather enough tickets, I'll probably invest in Commander Gear.

From the 2 Training Points given, I used one for Stun Block, which actually came in handy a few times. As for the other one, I'm actually not sure what to do with it... perhaps Infection? Any suggestions? I just don't want it to clutter my deck, since my current setup already sometimes runs into this issue.