Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Just turn us back to Grandmaster already

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jun 13, 2010
58
I loved grandmaster pvp. It had it faults, like chain stunning w/ earthquake and balance using judgement/weakness and wild bolt. But the stats were more balanced, ice didn't get mega resist, pets didn't cast for you, life was the only school that could heal, and you didn't need criticals. I really hate the new amulets and crit / crit block.
But looking it over, this thread is useless. As much as I want to say yes, it isn't happening. There can only be one kind of pvp, and it would be stupid to keep raising the level cap and yet have an option to go to grandmaster gear pvp only. It's done and gone and many new spells were made for pvp, so it isn't going to happen.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
575
Why do a lot of people say that grandmaster were the "good old days"? I mean who was it good for? let's be honest here:

Grandmaster time, yes peoples stats were not as extreme as they were now so first turn advantage was not as much as an advantage then than it is now. But let's just think of the spells first.

Death's highest hitting attack at grandmaster was the skeletal pirate at 525 for 5 pips, but even so, they were far more likely to stick with the six pip wraith for 500 damage to heal and hit.

life did not have an AoE spell.

Balance was... well I guess balance wasn't so bad, except they had a hard time
boosting up their strikes without relying on feint and judgement. Seriously not many balance players make good use of spectral blast, especially back during the "good old days".

The only classes that didn't seem to have a problem were fire and myth as usual.

If we were to allow a PvP option for grandmaster, with only grandmaster spells and gear, forget about death having a good time in Arena if they were to go that route. I can literally count the times I lost to death on myth at grandmaster on my hand before they got skeletal dragon and enchants.

It wasn't until Celestia that players began to experiment more with their schools and bring more variety to arena as far as my experience goes. There was more confidence among the classes as well, especially life! This might be thanks to the heal boosts that came too.

And those two deserved the spells and gear they got. Forest lord for life, finally an AoE, and Skeletal Dragon for death, finally, although I think it's a little much for an 8 pip damage over time, death definitely deserved its power. It was quite a jump though, 500 damage from six pips to 1000 at 8 pips, wow!

Balance didn't seem to change too much except I found judgement being spammed less. But to say it was the "good old days". there seems to be a hidden bias there. So I wonder, who was it good for? It was great for me :p

Survivor
Jul 18, 2010
3
I love this idea, personally.

It should be put into the test realm for further explanation and just to see if its duable.

By the way, nice usernamed skier339 ;)

Survivor
Jul 18, 2010
3
Cape36 wrote:
I loved grandmaster pvp. It had it faults, like chain stunning w/ earthquake and balance using judgement/weakness and wild bolt. But the stats were more balanced, ice didn't get mega resist, pets didn't cast for you, life was the only school that could heal, and you didn't need criticals. I really hate the new amulets and crit / crit block.
But looking it over, this thread is useless. As much as I want to say yes, it isn't happening. There can only be one kind of pvp, and it would be stupid to keep raising the level cap and yet have an option to go to grandmaster gear pvp only. It's done and gone and many new spells were made for pvp, so it isn't going to happen.


Lol, you even gonna give this guy a chance? Its an ADD ON. Nobody has to do it if they don't want to. But as what it looks like, 99% people want this to happen. So we play the game, not KI. It should be our choice.

Explorer
Jun 13, 2010
58
skiblizzard wrote:
Cape36 wrote:
I loved grandmaster pvp. It had it faults, like chain stunning w/ earthquake and balance using judgement/weakness and wild bolt. But the stats were more balanced, ice didn't get mega resist, pets didn't cast for you, life was the only school that could heal, and you didn't need criticals. I really hate the new amulets and crit / crit block.
But looking it over, this thread is useless. As much as I want to say yes, it isn't happening. There can only be one kind of pvp, and it would be stupid to keep raising the level cap and yet have an option to go to grandmaster gear pvp only. It's done and gone and many new spells were made for pvp, so it isn't going to happen.


Lol, you even gonna give this guy a chance? Its an ADD ON. Nobody has to do it if they don't want to. But as what it looks like, 99% people want this to happen. So we play the game, not KI. It should be our choice.

What a selfish way to think. You realize that since they MAKE the game, they also have to play it to test it ..?
Now, what would be the point in making new spells? Mana burst is a pure pvp spell and is useless in pve. Technology never goes back in time; when the Ipod touch is there, the Ipod nano is gone. I don't see the point of even having a choice to go back in time to a specific point (it isn't as great as you are making people think) when there is so much new content in the game? Time moves forward, not backward.

Survivor
Jul 18, 2010
3
CorbinW wrote:
Why do a lot of people say that grandmaster were the "good old days"? I mean who was it good for? let's be honest here:

Grandmaster time, yes peoples stats were not as extreme as they were now so first turn advantage was not as much as an advantage then than it is now. But let's just think of the spells first.

Death's highest hitting attack at grandmaster was the skeletal pirate at 525 for 5 pips, but even so, they were far more likely to stick with the six pip wraith for 500 damage to heal and hit.

life did not have an AoE spell.

Balance was... well I guess balance wasn't so bad, except they had a hard time
boosting up their strikes without relying on feint and judgement. Seriously not many balance players make good use of spectral blast, especially back during the "good old days".

The only classes that didn't seem to have a problem were fire and myth as usual.

If we were to allow a PvP option for grandmaster, with only grandmaster spells and gear, forget about death having a good time in Arena if they were to go that route. I can literally count the times I lost to death on myth at grandmaster on my hand before they got skeletal dragon and enchants.

It wasn't until Celestia that players began to experiment more with their schools and bring more variety to arena as far as my experience goes. There was more confidence among the classes as well, especially life! This might be thanks to the heal boosts that came too.

And those two deserved the spells and gear they got. Forest lord for life, finally an AoE, and Skeletal Dragon for death, finally, although I think it's a little much for an 8 pip damage over time, death definitely deserved its power. It was quite a jump though, 500 damage from six pips to 1000 at 8 pips, wow!

Balance didn't seem to change too much except I found judgement being spammed less. But to say it was the "good old days". there seems to be a hidden bias there. So I wonder, who was it good for? It was great for me :p


Lol, first off, you say grandmaster days weren't good at all, then at the end you said they were great for me? Way to make sense lol, anyways I do see your point, but mostly everyone thinks their awesome.

Besides, if you don't like or didn't like the grandmaster days, no need to even use this system! You can stay in the system we have today :) again, I love what Jack Flame has done here, its a great idea

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
575
skiblizzard wrote:


Lol, first off, you say grandmaster days weren't good at all, then at the end you said they were great for me? Way to make sense lol, anyways I do see your point, but mostly everyone thinks their awesome.

Besides, if you don't like or didn't like the grandmaster days, no need to even use this system! You can stay in the system we have today :) again, I love what Jack Flame has done here, its a great idea


I never said at all that grandmaster days weren't good. Things were a bit more balanced back then because stats were not as high as they are now and Enchants were not so easily accessible, at least not the ones like monstrous or gargantuan. But in terms of the spells, some elements lacked the flexibility needed to be competitive, or if not because of the spells, then the gear, and the Celestia update helped those that were a little behind to me, them being Life, death, etc. I forgot to mention Ice. I remember all the complaints on Snow Angel when Celestia came out.

I say it was good for me because when I started playing and did the quiz where you are handed a wizard based on your answers, I ended up with the school that didn't have many problems, Myth.

Explorer
Jul 18, 2009
75
Although I started this idea, I am beginning to think it could be boring actually - considering there will never be anything new.

I still want this to happen of course, But i'm not as excited as I was because I just saw Professor Greyroses post about how they have confirmed that they are going to make changes to pvp. Now that is something to be excited about. (:

@jackflame

Explorer
Aug 14, 2008
66
Hmm. I like your idea. I remember the "Grandmaster Days" as well. I haven't PvPed since Celestia came about, but I'm not sure that I'd want to PvP right now, with all the problems they're having.

Still, I wouldn't expect too much from Greyrose or any of the other professors, at the moment. They're still trying to fix the many other PvP problems, and it might be a while before they even check your idea.

We'll see where this goes in the future, I guess.

Survivor
Feb 04, 2009
13
This is the best Thread I have seen on the PvP forums in about 2 years probably. Love the idea, loved the Era. KingsIsle needs to see this thread, look at the idea, and consider it. It would probably get many great reviews from the PvP player side of the game that would prefer the old strategic fighting that would often cause an average PvP match to go on for hours, rather then today's 5-10 minute, or single round kill fights.

Survivor
Sep 24, 2009
3
I was thinking the same thing. That was the best time to pvp. Mostly everyone was using commander gear and casting fair spells. Then all of a sudden wizard101 had to come out with critical which is based on luck not skill. Now no one uses commander gear unless your a noob or for the looks.

Defender
Aug 03, 2011
103
aless2209 wrote:
skier339 wrote:
Consider this, We make another "section" of pvp, where it nerds us back to the "Golden Days" of pvp. You know how there are a "Ranked" & "Practice" sections?

Well what if we added another one, another scroll. Where only level 50 and below gear is allowed, and only spells below level 50 are allowed.

I know it seems RIDICULOUS, but how many people might actually consider doing that?

What would happen would be:

It'd be set up the same, 1v1 2v2 3v3 & 4v4. And you make your teams and everything like usual. Then when you accept, it takes you to the arena, HOWEVER; if your wearing anything above level 50, it will be taken off and there will be no gear on you from that category.

For example, if you hit accept and your wearing a lvl 76 ring, when you enter the arena, you won't have any ring on. But if your wearing a lvl 50 ring, it will stay on.

Same goes for spells, if you have any sort of treasure or regular spell that was Celestia and after update, it would be ripped from your deck, and that slot would be empty, however if you have all spells that were before Celestia time, your deck would stay the same.

That was just an idea, it wouldn't harm anything , it would just be an add on to what we already have and it would only effect the popularity of the regular ranked pvp.

One more thing, level does NOT matter, just your gear. So you can be archmage and still do this. PvP gear is also allowed, as well as pets.

Tell me whatcha guys think

@jackflame


i like your idea but they were not the "Golden Days" of pvp. Back then, most people chain stunned, spammed wild bolt before it was changed, judgement being spammed, life's only strong spell was centaur and it didnt hit strong because of the arena gear's resistance, puppet teams, etc.


On another account in which I cannot remember what it is at the time (wasn't someone else's) me and my pvp team managed to beat a group of chain stunners. When they fizzled we found a gap and then decided to stun them back. We hit them hard and because they were offence-based, they had no protection against us. I used rebirth, fire used dragon, storm used storm lord but i can't remember who the fourth one was lol. Anyways, I was fine with the spamming because it was always easy to counter them. It really was the Golden Days of pvp.

But now pvp is currently set in the Dark Ages with this luck based critical. Of course it does take some serious skill to craft this gear, but not when it's relatively easy to gain immunity to fire and storm. I would LOVE to use this new type of pvp if it does not involve blasted critical.

It was just amazing how lucky you could be with just enough space for just enough cards. It was the day when shields were vital in 1v1 and where you couldn't just buy a treasure card and use it to remove shields or in a 4v4 when everybody stayed their own school and didn't use mastery amulets that could make a life a myth with big healing.

Please consider this KI! It was the best! Nobody was hateful or rude (except against chain stunners who also separately spam smoke screen), and everyone would smile because it was just fun to see all these spells taking place. I would love to go back to where you could farm for the best gear, and battle with your friends to gain points to buy all this cool stuff that was amazing for all levels.

Explorer
Jun 08, 2011
55
I have to disagree with most of you. If you want to duel like that, why not just make it be Level 50 and below? If the reason is because you are higher than level 50, that new scroll would basically just reduce everyone to grandmaster except for health, so what's the point? The Legendaries-Archmagies worked hard to get that gear and spells. The new scroll would almost make it seem like it's punishing the higher levels. :?

Defender
Aug 03, 2011
103
Suzirose wrote:
I have to disagree with most of you. If you want to duel like that, why not just make it be Level 50 and below? If the reason is because you are higher than level 50, that new scroll would basically just reduce everyone to grandmaster except for health, so what's the point? The Legendaries-Archmagies worked hard to get that gear and spells. The new scroll would almost make it seem like it's punishing the higher levels. :?


Ok, you must not have been reading, or understanding the game. It isn't punishing them, it is simply adding a new style to pvp. ALL spells in wizard101 are only intended to be for PvE . The spells are for the PvE, not for pvp, people use it in there, but they are not intended for pvp. There is always a point to everything, and because of this insane pvp where low levels using basilisk and triton, the high levels spamming shields, immunity, piercing, and the insane OP spells with huge enchantments. Not to mention the medium class 1v1 with critical gear for the levels 30-45 and huge hit spells being spammed. Back then, it was simple and fair. Nobody could have an unfair game except for chain stun victims. So while you are being beaten to death by these unfair matches i will stay in my level 50 arena having the time of my life.

Delver
Aug 13, 2010
234
Ah! I remember when spritely came out. I thought the other team was cheating because they kept using it! I thought they kept using hacks or something to skip our turns. Oh, I love grandmaster PvP!!!

Survivor
Nov 03, 2011
17
Grand master? GRAND MASTER??? seriously. there is more to pvp than grand master pvp. Cast scald. then mass triage. so what? It just means they are good at pvp. if you disagree then you are just being a sore loser about your loss. :x

Tyler firerider level 80 pyromancer, Corporal in pvp

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
588
skier339 wrote:
thewiz28 wrote:
Agreed : 0% If a level 80 wizard comes, he only has his level 78 gear. He goes to the arena and since he has above lvl 50 gear he would have no gear EQUIPPED!!!! And gear gives power pips, cards, health, mana, and lots of other stats. He goes in the arena, Against a lvl 50 storm. Now the lvl 80 guy will get beat because bad pvp took away his gear. I hope KI does not let this in the game, I hope the other 80 Archmages agree with me.

BAD idea


Lol, are you new?

Theres 3 levels where your wrong here:

CHOICE: First of all, you dont even have to come CLOSE to this "scroll", you dont have to participate at all, you can stay in your overpowered, luck based, unfair, no fun pvp the way it is now.

EFFORT: On your response, your telling me your lazy. Your telling me that that "archmage" would have no gear? well you can farm for it, like we used to do. Besides, most hardcore pvp'ers already have the Arena gear, which I said IS usable. You are obviously not a very active pvp'er. Besides, if you dont wanna farm for the lvl 50 gear, then just don't even come near my "ranked 50" scroll.

TONE: Next time why don't you read my idea more carefully, instead of just blurting out how terrible the idea is, i'm to lazy to get the gear blah blah blah etc. Because if your to lazy to get any work done, you have no right to say its a bad idea, cause then it doesnt even invole you anyways.

On the last note, Consider this an ADD ON. It will NOT change anything that exists today, it's just something new, you can be ALL over it, or you can never step foot near that scroll. It's your choice.

@jackflame

ps. I see by your join date you joined AFTER CL was implanted, by that I feel bad for you that were never around in Grandmaster Days...those were the best..


Its true the grandmaster era was the golden era. i loved those good old days

Delver
Aug 13, 2010
234
Just make Wizard101 Classic a new game that only goes up to level 50. Every update up to Celestia. Much better for us all.