Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

It's not if you win or lose...

AuthorMessage
Defender
Apr 25, 2009
So, here's the scenario:

4v4. Level 25+ people on the opposing team, against two newbies, a 20 something life wizard, and a 29 (me). The newbies are quickly beat, because they're still in beginner robes, the life wizard on my team is beaten next, and it's only me left, with three people left on the opposing team. I actually manage to knock out another of my opponents out before I'm finally beaten. I lose the same amount of rank points as the two newbies that lost almost instantly and the life wizard that tried to heal the newbies instead of herself and me.

Whatever happened to "it's not if you win or lose, it's how you play the game?" I think the rank point system should reflect how good of a dueler we are, not if we win or lose. This is especially important with the current matching system, since sometimes you're put on a team where it's impossible to win. We should lose less rank points if we die later in the game, and lose even less the more damage we did relative to our teammates.

Defender
Oct 03, 2008
This would be very biased towards high levels. What system seems to be suggesting is that high level wizards should get more points than low levels, since the attacks of high levels will be way more powerful than anything the low level could do. Therefore the only way things would level is if the high level purposely doesn't attack, and possibly risk his whole team being taken out by the opposing who is prolly going all out. Otherwise, the high level will always get more points since they use better cards.

Another solution to your situation is to simply pair up with friends who are around your level. Then you would be so out matched unless your playing against a team whos a much higher level than yours.

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necromancer

Survivor
Jul 01, 2009
I think you're asking for quite a programming feat here and are perhaps beating your chest a bit, as well. What if someone healed you instead of themselves, and in turn dies, so that you could live longer and thus deal more damage. While that might satisfy your needs, what about that person?

There are so many variables and different points of views that makes programming some ranking system like this to be extremely hard to do flawlessly.

The simplest answer is if you lose, you lose. Nuff said. If you're on a team, it's a team effort, not a me me me effort. Your matchmaking comment may be valid, but why not offer better suggestions there rather than asking for something I have yet to see any game actually pull off (and most don't even try).

In fact, if the game supported individual action over teamwork, I think you'd be right back here complaining how the game doesn't reward you enough for supporting your teammates.

Defender
Apr 25, 2009
cbfan14 wrote:
This would be very biased towards high levels. What system seems to be suggesting is that high level wizards should get more points than low levels, since the attacks of high levels will be way more powerful than anything the low level could do. Therefore the only way things would level is if the high level purposely doesn't attack, and possibly risk his whole team being taken out by the opposing who is prolly going all out. Otherwise, the high level will always get more points since they use better cards.

Another solution to your situation is to simply pair up with friends who are around your level. Then you would be so out matched unless your playing against a team whos a much higher level than yours.

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necromancer

And you see a problem with this? If there's a bunch of low level players on your team not helping, and you save the whole team, of course you should get a whole bunch of points. The mooching newbies shouldn't get the same amount of points as you.

I think you're asking for quite a programming feat here and are perhaps beating your chest a bit, as well. What if someone healed you instead of themselves, and in turn dies, so that you could live longer and thus deal more damage. While that might satisfy your needs, what about that person?

There are so many variables and different points of views that makes programming some ranking system like this to be extremely hard to do flawlessly.

The simplest answer is if you lose, you lose. Nuff said. If you're on a team, it's a team effort, not a me me me effort. Your matchmaking comment may be valid, but why not offer better suggestions there rather than asking for something I have yet to see any game actually pull off (and most don't even try).

In fact, if the game supported individual action over teamwork, I think you'd be right back here complaining how the game doesn't reward you enough for supporting your teammates.

It's not that difficult.

Take damage dealt and amount of healing cast, and add them together for each member. Then with those numbers figure a percentage of "points" for each team member. Then give them that percentage of total reward points.

And what's the deal with the whole "if it's outside the box it can't be done." approach? You're definitely not a storm wizard, that's for sure.

Survivor
Jul 01, 2009
It's actually not quite that simple. What if you get focus targeted and blown up by the other team quickly. I should lose more points than you, who gets blown up last because fate had it be so?

Like I said, there are so many variables to what you're asking that it is no where near "simple." Sure, your idea might be simple, but it also has many flaws. Contribution is not simply calculated by who does the most healing or the most damage.

Survivor
Mar 16, 2009
How about this if you want individual points based on your individual effort do 1v1. Otherwise it's a team effort from the sounds of it you happen to be one of those players when going against a boss who tells everyone to pass so you can get a big hit kill even though it will take you two more rounds to kill it and with everyone attacking it could be dead already (You are also the one I happen to usually ignore and just kill the boss anyway). Go play 1v1 and get your individual effort points or learn how to play in a group with lower players who may not have the same level of gear as you do.

Talon Deathweaver, Grandmaster Death Wizard.

Defender
Nov 05, 2008
Blazian wrote:
cbfan14 wrote:

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necromancer

And you see a problem with this? If there's a bunch of low level players on your team not helping, and you save the whole team, of course you should get a whole bunch of points. The mooching newbies shouldn't get the same amount of points as you.

It's not that difficult.

Take damage dealt and amount of healing cast, and add them together for each member. Then with those numbers figure a percentage of "points" for each team member. Then give them that percentage of total reward points.

And what's the deal with the whole "if it's outside the box it can't be done." approach? You're definitely not a storm wizard, that's for sure.

ok here is my to cents, you picked your team members, so don't battle with "newbies" on your team, only team up with friends you know will 'pull thier own wieght' now as for as asking ki to do all the math you want so you get what you want how about you write the programing for the game to do this? you can then submit it to ki. oh wait you can't write all the programing code, or we would be playing YOUR GAME and not ki

Defender
Apr 25, 2009
ok here is my to cents, you picked your team members, so don't battle with "newbies" on your team, only team up with friends you know will 'pull thier own wieght' now as for as asking ki to do all the math you want so you get what you want how about you write the programing for the game to do this? you can then submit it to ki. oh wait you can't write all the programing code, or we would be playing YOUR GAME and not ki

Ok, deal. Everyone just stop having ideas to make the game better, since they can't do it themselves. If you can't write the programming yourself then you can't have a good idea. Great job kid, you must be really smart.

Also, trying to coordinate a team of friends that are all your level and that all are good duelers is impossible. Plus, I didn't pick my team members, the matching system that thinks just because a grandmaster and a hero of unicorn way are both privates they're the same decided for my team to be newbies.

I'm really sick and tired of the whole PvP community. First, all the hardcore PvPers have this huge attitude problem, and furthermore somehow all their whining and complaining finally got the stupid chain stunning fixed, at the expense of the rest of us. Sickening.