Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is this game becoming pay to win?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 22, 2009
48
I've noticed that people in ranked are using jade gear, and much more crowns gear. And it seems that going against them, they always get to go first, get the cards when they need them, and are in a better overall position throughout the matchup. Is this game becoming pay to win? Are there any characters that actually duel without crowns gear? And what happened to skill winning duels? In every 1v1 I either run into an ice with high hp, high resist that goes first, a player wearing jade gear, and with a pet giving him 15% resist, while wearing heartsteel. Somewhere near 75-80% resist to all classes, or a balance wizard going first using mana burn everytime I get 3 power pips(6 pips). Does myth ever go first or get a fair opportunity to be successful? It seems as if its the most hated class in game in ranked PvP and by the devs. This class is never really shown any love by anybody. I've played a myth since this game launched and stuck with it. I was a warlord, and now with all the pay to win options out there, I don't see a way to get back to warlord. I just want to get my rank back and stop PvP'n. But with these changes, its impossible. The myth gimmick is amazing when going first, but when going second, its almost impossible to use things correctly. I can go through every class that has a better gimmick. Want to be a myth wizard? Use stun shields, carry 3 AoE spells for minions, put 1 shield up, and carry triages. There you go, you just beat talos, medusa/celestial calendar/ninja pigs, and basilisk. You may say the class is fine. Look at the leaderboard, I spent some time counting the top 500. Want to tell me the classes that have the least amount of wizards in it? I rest my case. PvP needs to go back to skill and a fair 50/50 chance for people to go first and second. Going second 13 games in a row, is ridiculous.

Explorer
Nov 29, 2012
66
I understand what you're saying about how Myth basically gets no love by any other school. Being a myth myself. I think one reason there might not be a lot of love for them is because there is not generally a lot of Myths, but whenever I see another Myth I look at his/her stats and they're almost always a warlord (Myth is more of a PvP school in my opinion).

I think the jade gear is mostly unfair but people used money for that so they might as well get something good. I don't think it should be banned from PvP though for that same reason (a lot of people think it should). The high resist for ice really needs a patch though. There is absolutely no reason anyone should be able to get 80-100 resist to a school.

What about the pets though? They can give 15% resist and a couple other things worth while. That's part of the reason people gain over 80+ resist. Almost all of these resist problems will never be fixed or will be fixed far from now. That's one reason I started my Myth over just so I could get the feel for things again. KI won't nerf a school because they think of it as unfair even though they don't realize what they have done to Myth and possibly some others.

Astrologist
Oct 22, 2011
1073
PvP these days is about crown gear. What happened to the skills and strategy of using the spells from your own school, and using what you have? Learning it inside and out, working on a great strategy that you could win with?

Nada, zip, zero, zilch.

At this time, I refuse to PvP in the second age. Until the PvP program gets completely rewritten, I'm out ... hanging up my wizard hat. I'm proud of what I've accomplished in the first age, but these days, it's too much effort and I'm not about to lower myself to use underhanded tactics just to try and win.

I guess I'm a little too old-school, for these new-age pay-to-win players

Survivor
Jul 08, 2010
30
Darthjp on May 12, 2013 wrote:
I've noticed that people in ranked are using jade gear, and much more crowns gear. And it seems that going against them, they always get to go first, get the cards when they need them, and are in a better overall position throughout the matchup. Is this game becoming pay to win? Are there any characters that actually duel without crowns gear? And what happened to skill winning duels? In every 1v1 I either run into an ice with high hp, high resist that goes first, a player wearing jade gear, and with a pet giving him 15% resist, while wearing heartsteel. Somewhere near 75-80% resist to all classes, or a balance wizard going first using mana burn everytime I get 3 power pips(6 pips). Does myth ever go first or get a fair opportunity to be successful? It seems as if its the most hated class in game in ranked PvP and by the devs. This class is never really shown any love by anybody. I've played a myth since this game launched and stuck with it. I was a warlord, and now with all the pay to win options out there, I don't see a way to get back to warlord. I just want to get my rank back and stop PvP'n. But with these changes, its impossible. The myth gimmick is amazing when going first, but when going second, its almost impossible to use things correctly. I can go through every class that has a better gimmick. Want to be a myth wizard? Use stun shields, carry 3 AoE spells for minions, put 1 shield up, and carry triages. There you go, you just beat talos, medusa/celestial calendar/ninja pigs, and basilisk. You may say the class is fine. Look at the leaderboard, I spent some time counting the top 500. Want to tell me the classes that have the least amount of wizards in it? I rest my case. PvP needs to go back to skill and a fair 50/50 chance for people to go first and second. Going second 13 games in a row, is ridiculous.
I agree, many of the really tough pvp players have crowns-only gear. I see the problem is more common with low-level wizards, especially with heartsteel, but it's still annoying in higher levels. Mega, crowns-only pets are a serious threat to my pvp ranking. They can give fifteen percent resistance, cast sprite or fairy randomly, and even cast other spells or give attack bonuses. I am proud to say I am currently a warlord who has never purchased a piece of crowns gear. In addition, I don't have a pet to assist me. I became a warlord solely by skill, good clothing, and monstrous and infallible treasure cards (since any lvl 45 can purchase those treasure cards, I don't see a problem with it). I have a lvl 45 ice who is a pvp warlord, and I've faced lv 30-40 opponents who had up to sixty percent resistance! It's harder to become a pvp warlord if you don't have crowns, in my opinion.

Survivor
Oct 22, 2009
48
Skill for PvP is what I think an option for some people should be.

1. No crowns gear at all. If you can buy it with gold, you can use it.
2. No pets. This is wizard101, not pet101 where pets take complete control of a match.
3. There is always debate over treasure cards, lets put it this way, treasure cards should still be used, but no mastery amulets. The professors in wizard101 should hate the idea of mastery amulets but I guess for some reason they like it.
4. If a wizard has gone second 10 matches in a row, how about making the next 10 matches an advantage to him, and let him go first?
5. Limit a certain amount of cards. Mana burn spamming is impossible to beat almost. Spamming dispels is another thing, I understand you carry that fancy mastery amulet, but not letting a wizard cast? That isn't pvp that's just annoying when somebody can't even cast. 4v4/3v3/2v2 I can understand when its 2 on 1. But in 1v1 come on.

This will make it fair for more wizards if they choose this option, plus high level myth will have a better chance of being successful. Our gimmicks are so easily beaten in 1v1 its ridiculous. The moment our opponent uses stun shields, a myth shield, and has triages, what else you can you do? Basilisk was a great spell before people started carrying triages and stun shields. It may be the most useless rank 9 spell for PvP. If they are going first. Maybe give an option for the player going second to fix their deck before the match starts since the match isn't in their favor?

Survivor
Oct 22, 2009
48
In between level 70-90 look how much ice is in it. I rest my case.

Explorer
Sep 05, 2010
65
Its becoming more pay to win I suppose.

Best gear in game used to be waterworks gear which you didn't have to pay for but took a REALLY long time to earn.

Pets are still (kind of) free, but most people with good pets won't hatch with you without bribing them with crowns items first.

Jade gear seems a little ridiculous to have 70% resist to all schools is also ridiculous, but just wait until some new gear is released where you can get immunity to all damage from all schools. I can somehow see that in the future.

Either way it seems I will just stick to my good old waterworks gear. I might try for the jade gear but I forget which pack they're from.

Defender
Jan 18, 2013
195
I think there should be two ranks of PvP. Open and restricted, players wearing any crown items cannot enter a restricted PvP match.

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011
364
Dogempire on May 15, 2013 wrote:
Its becoming more pay to win I suppose.

Best gear in game used to be waterworks gear which you didn't have to pay for but took a REALLY long time to earn.

Pets are still (kind of) free, but most people with good pets won't hatch with you without bribing them with crowns items first.

Jade gear seems a little ridiculous to have 70% resist to all schools is also ridiculous, but just wait until some new gear is released where you can get immunity to all damage from all schools. I can somehow see that in the future.

Either way it seems I will just stick to my good old waterworks gear. I might try for the jade gear but I forget which pack they're from.
Keeper's Lore. I saw a Myth with full jade gear who bladestacked and basilisked my friend who was PvPing. Guess what, he was an ice. Ice's are NOT invincible as everyone makes them seem. Take it from an ice who got beat by a 3 storm 1 Death team in 4v4. We had 2 ices and 2 lifes and still got beat. I'm tired of people complaining about Ice no one complains about shatter or guardian spirit (at least anymore) I'll share a little known fact with y'all the Azteca ice crafted gear is WORSE than the avalon gear. Its the fact that ALL OF YOU complained about it and they responded its "more advanced" in critical but thats about it. The resist went from 9% universal on the hat to 4% on the next hat. KI does listen, no matter what you think. Plus you don't need crowns gear, try crafted gear, see if you like a critical set up.

Wolf Skullslinger, Thaumaturge by Trade (level 88 1st Age Warlord)
Wolf Mythhammer, the Courageous Conjurer (level 60 1st Age Knight AND 2nd Age Knight)

Defender
Apr 07, 2011
156
I am a first age pvp warlord and currently a captain without any crown gear. Stop crying folks.

Survivor
Oct 22, 2009
48
Compared to how many others? Ice is unbeatable in PvP if you're halfway decent. If you lose at ice, you're terrible. Simple enough. In between level 70-90 on the ranked leaderboards, look how much ice in it. Another thing, for somebody to beat an ice, they can buy their way to victory with crowns. Nice, teaching kids to pay to win is a great thing isn't it?

Survivor
Jul 03, 2010
14
I really have to agree with this post.
Over the years of having wizard101 I've spent hundred of dollars to go towards making a better character so the game can be the least bit enjoyable. But no matter how much I try, no matter how much money I through in, I never get what I want, especially with the new packs. Sure, Wizard101 needs to make their money but really? I feel like its just a gambling game, where you pray you get what you want with your hard earned $20 worth of crowns. And the ones who are lucky and rich enough to afford it get a MAJOR advantage when it comes to pvp. The thing that's sad is that the game is SO much fun, and KI has done a great job with this game. But once they started adding in new worlds with new packs, money is nearly required to enjoy this. I really wish we could bring back the old Wizard101, where it was more questing and skill, not money and hoping you get lucky.

Defender
Sep 19, 2010
178
Myth is really not that good of a 1v1 school, but If you can figure out how to use it to your advantage then it can be pretty useful; If you go first use mythblade sharpened version and if you have a pet blade use it, make sure you use either a tower shield or a school specific shield, feint even if they have a huge stacking of shields, and use infallible/berserk shatter then solar calendar; if you do this and manage to hit under 10,000 damage you really need to change your gear set. If you go second, use 2 mythblades, shield, no traps and try to get 2 sharpened mythblades on, And use infallible/berserk shatter, minotaur in case they shield again, and then medusa. But really, If you are playing as a myth, your made for 4v4 anyway; most of the reason any myths are on the top 500 is because of 4v4; You want a team all about the same level with a storm or fire(Killer), A life(healer), A myth(breaker), and either a death or balance(Support) or an Ice(Tank). Just use earth the turn of the storm or fires big hit if you go before them, Or the round before if they go before you; also if they insist in buffing for half an hour keep one earth in hand at all times, but use a few if the enemy starts getting some scary blade stacking up; my myth has all the double shield spells trained, and he usually does mythblade shield spam on life earth when needed. There is other tactics on other schools to be able to beat anyone easily without having to use crowns, you just have to use your brain.

Mason ShadowwraithPromethean

Delver
Jul 15, 2011
290
A match starts, the first player puts on a blade, the second player casts an attack, criticals, and does over 4000 damage and kills the first player. Match over.

You can't just put so much blame and hatred on jade gear. People wear it because they end up fighting others who have 100 damage rating and 400 critical rating. If you truly want as close to a fair pvp duel as you can get, petition to make pvp no gear and no pets. Or ask that KI create some default gear choices that everyone has to use. What we have right now is either you turtle up and defend or you full out attack.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
449
You think myth is a bad pvp school? All you have to do is blade up a basilisk and do ninja pigs after it. Shatter leaves the opponent defenseless. Ninja pigs, with my gear, hits 1400 base damage with an enchant. Use the tools you get in your school. The minotaur minion shields itself, so it stays alive more than talos. Solution: Make jade gear no 1v1. In 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4, you have more people to hammer at it, so it is not as useful. Use doom and gloom. Turn pet heals down. People would still have stuff that they worked very hard or spent money on, but it would be tuned down so that there were not as many complaints. For jade gear in 1v1, use armor piercing. For ice, use converts if you're storm or fire. Complaining won't help anything. Create a strategy to get around crowns gear and pets. Win.

Survivor
Jul 27, 2010
25
I agree with this topic pvp is becoming more like pay to win sadly . Crowns gear, mega crown pets and mastery amulet and then you're a warlord in no time. It's unfair and paying will make you win not skill.

Defender
Mar 19, 2011
109
When Before second age pvp started i used my storm character as my only character to pvp
I used Clothing such as no Trade lvl 25 clothing that looked pretty Cool then once i became a knight everything changed I went from knight to sergeant back and forth I then wasted some time FARMING
for crown clothing i went to fight The prince from colossus boulevard I got the ATHAME: 5% resist universal
Then the jacket of the with standing from nightshade boots i got from a random pack i got gifted that gave me 3 universal resist i then helped some people out in order to convince them to hatch with me i succeeded
with my highest character i farmed in Dragonspyre to get the one+ pip wand to all levels
I never managed to get it so i waited. in total i had 19 universal resist and 27 to life
With the use of infallible TC cards i became a knight without wasting MONEY I"M GREEDY

They give some free stuff such as crown clothing mastery amulets and crown pets

now lets start hating on the xbox one XD

Survivor
Jun 16, 2009
17
BrynnerOfReign on May 12, 2013 wrote:
PvP these days is about crown gear. What happened to the skills and strategy of using the spells from your own school, and using what you have? Learning it inside and out, working on a great strategy that you could win with?

Nada, zip, zero, zilch.

At this time, I refuse to PvP in the second age. Until the PvP program gets completely rewritten, I'm out ... hanging up my wizard hat. I'm proud of what I've accomplished in the first age, but these days, it's too much effort and I'm not about to lower myself to use underhanded tactics just to try and win.

I guess I'm a little too old-school, for these new-age pay-to-win players
I totally know what you mean. The other day I thought hey I should do some PvP. I go into battle with a kid who is like 10 levels lower than me. He won when I got no good cards, went second, and resisted all my attacks. Plus if I had gotten a power pip my judgement would have taken the match, or if he didn't have 25% resistant
to all schools.

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
865
Completely agree, if you don't pay you basically have no chance over someone who DOES pay 90% of time.
-Jasmine FireBlade, level 86 pyromancer.

Defender
Jun 23, 2011
115
I have no idea whatsoever you are talking about. Clearly you are not understanding MYTH good enough. Myth are a gear school with powerful spells, Me, my self think myth is the best pvp school. Much going 2nd dose not effect myth that much, if you are a myth and you get beaten by ice? You clearly don't know your school good enough.
Here I speak for the silent players that dose not get on the here much: Myth is a great school with the most powerful spells! And it have no problem beaten ice EVEN if it have high resist!
Myth is loved by many people and stop thinking that some schools are bad!

Survivor
Mar 14, 2009
40
CPS Cole on May 12, 2013 wrote:
I understand what you're saying about how Myth basically gets no love by any other school. Being a myth myself. I think one reason there might not be a lot of love for them is because there is not generally a lot of Myths, but whenever I see another Myth I look at his/her stats and they're almost always a warlord (Myth is more of a PvP school in my opinion).

I think the jade gear is mostly unfair but people used money for that so they might as well get something good. I don't think it should be banned from PvP though for that same reason (a lot of people think it should). The high resist for ice really needs a patch though. There is absolutely no reason anyone should be able to get 80-100 resist to a school.

What about the pets though? They can give 15% resist and a couple other things worth while. That's part of the reason people gain over 80+ resist. Almost all of these resist problems will never be fixed or will be fixed far from now. That's one reason I started my Myth over just so I could get the feel for things again. KI won't nerf a school because they think of it as unfair even though they don't realize what they have done to Myth and possibly some others.
It shouldn't be whether a school is for pvp or not, all schools should be equal in both pvp and pve