Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is PvP Ruining this Game?

1
AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
1473
This is not PvP101, but that's what it's turned into!

Every time I enter the Forum it's the same thing. Whenever I hear a spell has been excluded, it's because of PvP. Whenever I hear a spell doesn't work the way it's supposed to, or has been altered for no apparent reason, it's because of PvP. Whenever I hear someone complaining about a school, it's because of PvP. Why did you add this to the game, KI?! You keep "fixing" things to appease the members of some extracurricular activity, and I'm sick of it. Every spell idea has to take PvP into account, and it's really unfair because it's hindering the game something fierce. I'm so close to just saying "forget this game" and closing my account.

Defender
Jul 28, 2009
191
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
This is not PvP101, but that's what it's turned into!

Every time I enter the Forum it's the same thing. Whenever I hear a spell has been excluded, it's because of PvP. Whenever I hear a spell doesn't work the way it's supposed to, or has been altered for no apparent reason, it's because of PvP. Whenever I hear someone complaining about a school, it's because of PvP. Why did you add this to the game, KI?! You keep "fixing" things to appease the members of some extracurricular activity, and I'm sick of it. Every spell idea has to take PvP into account, and it's really unfair because it's hindering the game something fierce. I'm so close to just saying "forget this game" and closing my account.
hey just dont even bother with pvp i only pvp with my friends unless i bored pvp was better before cirtical and new lvl 60 spells came out you just have to remember it that way

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
158
Well, of course KI needs to take PvP into consideration when designing spells, as PvP is part of the game. They have to design for the big picture, not just PvE.

Besides PvP is the best and most accurate way to determine whether a spell is too strong, or too weak, or unfair in some way. You cannot really determine these things on AI enemies.

Sometimes you need to see the effect of a spell on a real player, and tweak it accordingly.

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
278
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
hey just dont even bother with pvp i only pvp with my friends unless i bored pvp was better before cirtical and new lvl 60 spells came out you just have to remember it that way


I believe he is not referring to playing PvP. His issue is that because PvP exists, it is detracting from his PvE experience.

In all honesty, I can't say that the spell changes for Myth amounted to anything to so severly impact my adventuring as to make me want to cancel. They didn't amount to anything, period, heh.

Don't know what your school is, but were some classes hit harder than others with spell nerfs?

Armiger
May 10, 2010
2080
Did they make another change? Is there something that I missed?

You are absolutely correct though, changes are constantly being made because of PvP, changes that effect everyone on the game, not just the people of PvP...

Although, I must admit, KI did a great job with earthquake, the chain stuns, and the stun blocks... They are different from PvP to PvE, so, for that, I must give them props!

Delver
Aug 13, 2010
234
The criers made this game harder for schools to actually complete quest. If they could just find a tissue...

PVP is a fun hobby. People have farming, gardening, I have PVP. But a hobby isn't fun when others are crying over it.

It was created for fun, not for war. PVP is where you show off your skills and learn to be better, not to cry a river!

People who rage over PVP either...

A. Lose to much, they have a score of 12-134.

B. They say how good they are, but end up being defeated.

and C. They are plain sore losers.

So, basically PVP for some people is a hobby, others, something to weep over.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
1473
loki1201 wrote:
Well, of course KI needs to take PvP into consideration when designing spells, as PvP is part of the game. They have to design for the big picture, not just PvE.

Besides PvP is the best and most accurate way to determine whether a spell is too strong, or too weak, or unfair in some way. You cannot really determine these things on AI enemies.

Sometimes you need to see the effect of a spell on a real player, and tweak it accordingly.


The fact that you just said that irks me and is the reason why I made this thread. PvP should not be the "big picture"; I don't know if you meant it to come off this way, but the way you said it sounded like PvE was the extracurricular activity and PvP was the main method of combat. That's what's wrong here in my opinion. I hate that KI is bending over backwards to appease the members of a small aspect of the game. I'm never gonna be able to propose certain spell ideas because I know, with PvP, they'd be out of the question, and that to me is frustrating. I'm sure it's frustrating on the game developers as well.

If PvP is the best indicator of a spell's power, than why don't the game developers just have access to it? It's ridiculous and annoying to have amazing spells put into the game, then taken away, or made as rare treasure cards, because the PvP whiners deemed it too powerful. PvP is a menace and I hope KI realizes this.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
1473
HooVooLoo wrote:
I believe he is not referring to playing PvP. His issue is that because PvP exists, it is detracting from his PvE experience.

In all honesty, I can't say that the spell changes for Myth amounted to anything to so severly impact my adventuring as to make me want to cancel. They didn't amount to anything, period, heh.

Don't know what your school is, but were some classes hit harder than others with spell nerfs?


I'm not just talking about the Myth spells; I'm talking about all the spells that have had to be curbed because of this terrible addition to Wizard101. Even the ones that we don't know about. I'm not even just talking about spells; I'm talking about the fact that PvP has turned a lot of players into spoiled crybabies that think if their tantrum is loud and pathetic enough that KI will do something about whatever they're blubbering about. It's become grade-A foolery, and I'm sick of it.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
407
Changes are made becuase of pvp due to how much players enjoy it. If not many of KI's customers pvped, then they wouldn't bother to chancg things for that reason.

Survivor
Nov 05, 2009
28
darthjt wrote:
Did they make another change? Is there something that I missed?

You are absolutely correct though, changes are constantly being made because of PvP, changes that effect everyone on the game, not just the people of PvP...

Although, I must admit, KI did a great job with earthquake, the chain stuns, and the stun blocks... They are different from PvP to PvE, so, for that, I must give them props!
lol pvp didnt ruin everything, it just made a giant addiction, every time i go online and i ask a friend for help they are like: i am pvp..................................later: cant help i am STILL in pvp

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
890
Until a complete overhaul is made of the pvp system here,it will probably continue to be a detriment to many pve players. Pvp is much too easily exploited in it's current form,and will continue to be an issue until KI decides to address the problem. So far though, I haven't seen any willingness on their part to do so.

Mastermind
Feb 16, 2009
329
Solstice64 wrote:
Changes are made becuase of pvp due to how much players enjoy it. If not many of KI's customers pvped, then they wouldn't bother to chancg things for that reason.


KI changes things on PvP's behalf because people DON'T enjoy it. You don't change things when the majority enjoys it. That's like trying to fix something that's not even broken.

I think you were's trying to say that they change things because of how MANY people enjoy it, which is a load of balogna if you ask me, because as has been previously stated, PvP is an extremely minor part of the game. If you play this game just to PvP, chances are, you're playing for the wrong reason. I suggest World of Warcraft, where you won't even NEED an arena to PvP, in some cases.

But I digress. All you whiners who complain that 'This spell was made wrong.' or 'I hate opponents that heal.', try this.

Go out into the REAL Wizard101, you know, the one with quests, monsters, and rewards. Use the spells you say are made wrong. Cast a heal on yourself. Think about the people who do THAT all the time, out in the REAL Wizard101, the next time you feel like complaining on the PvP board.

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
158
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

... the way you said it sounded like PvE was the extracurricular activity and PvP was the main method of combat.


I'm sorry if it sounded that way in my post. I didn't mean it to come across like that.
I understand your frustration, but all I was saying was that PvP is an element of the game, and when the developers create something (spells, clothes etc.) they need to make sure that creation works properly in both aspects - PvE and PvP.

I know that you don't care much for PvP. But I'm fairly certain the % of people that PvP is a lot higher than you realize.
On my buddy list, at least half are hardcore PvP'ers. Almost borderline addiction. Now, if that's just my buddy list, imagine how many others are out there. With over 15 million wizards in the Spiral, I would estimate hundreds of thousands would PvP. And that's being moderate. That number is likely higher. The PvP community is in no way a small minority.

AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

It's ridiculous and annoying to have amazing spells put into the game, then taken away ... because the PvP whiners deemed it too powerful.


I know the spells you are talking about.
1. Wild Bolt
2. Earthquake

Those are like the only 2 spells everyone loves to complain about. And both were changed rightfully so. Maybe some people like to fight dirty on AI enemies, and that's fine, but when fighting real people, try to have some honor and strategy.
And if you can't (which they couldn't), then KI will do it for them (which they did with the changes).


Squire
Mar 07, 2011
520
I'm not even just talking about spells; I'm talking about the fact that PvP has turned a lot of players into spoiled crybabies that think if their tantrum is loud and pathetic enough that KI will do something about whatever they're blubbering about. It's become grade-A foolery, and I'm sick of it.
Who exactly is having a tantrum?

I do agree. however. People complain a lot. And mostly, they look silly doing it. Maybe there should be a forum called 'Complaints." And all complaints about anything go in there. That would be a forum I would probably never visit.

Survivor
Apr 17, 2010
1
I really do think pvp is ruining this game.On every one of my adept characters that are warlord i end up fighting low rank legends AND loosing 25-30 points

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
278
Solstice64 wrote:
...which is a load of balogna if you ask me...


I suddenly crave a baloney sandwhich.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
407
Superwiz1560 wrote:
Solstice64 wrote:
Changes are made becuase of pvp due to how much players enjoy it. If not many of KI's customers pvped, then they wouldn't bother to chancg things for that reason.


KI changes things on PvP's behalf because people DON'T enjoy it. You don't change things when the majority enjoys it. That's like trying to fix something that's not even broken.

I think you were's trying to say that they change things because of how MANY people enjoy it, which is a load of balogna if you ask me, because as has been previously stated, PvP is an extremely minor part of the game. If you play this game just to PvP, chances are, you're playing for the wrong reason. I suggest World of Warcraft, where you won't even NEED an arena to PvP, in some cases.

But I digress. All you whiners who complain that 'This spell was made wrong.' or 'I hate opponents that heal.', try this.

Go out into the REAL Wizard101, you know, the one with quests, monsters, and rewards. Use the spells you say are made wrong. Cast a heal on yourself. Think about the people who do THAT all the time, out in the REAL Wizard101, the next time you feel like complaining on the PvP board.


When was it proven to be a minor part of the game? Did you see that feedback Friday that asks how much people pvp. Guess what, the largest amount of votes went to "all the time." So if more people enjoy pvp then not, then how is it a minor part of the game?

Survivor
Jul 12, 2010
22
I agree with you. I enjoy it a great deal. I find it to be quite a challenge but find the negativity to be a little bit off-putting.

SantaIceBurg wrote:
The criers made this game harder for schools to actually complete quest. If they could just find a tissue...

PVP is a fun hobby. People have farming, gardening, I have PVP. But a hobby isn't fun when others are crying over it.

It was created for fun, not for war. PVP is where you show off your skills and learn to be better, not to cry a river!

People who rage over PVP either...

A. Lose to much, they have a score of 12-134.

B. They say how good they are, but end up being defeated.

and C. They are plain sore losers.

So, basically PVP for some people is a hobby, others, something to weep over.

Delver
Aug 30, 2011
261
loki1201 wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

... the way you said it sounded like PvE was the extracurricular activity and PvP was the main method of combat.


I'm sorry if it sounded that way in my post. I didn't mean it to come across like that.
I understand your frustration, but all I was saying was that PvP is an element of the game, and when the developers create something (spells, clothes etc.) they need to make sure that creation works properly in both aspects - PvE and PvP.

I know that you don't care much for PvP. But I'm fairly certain the % of people that PvP is a lot higher than you realize.
On my buddy list, at least half are hardcore PvP'ers. Almost borderline addiction. Now, if that's just my buddy list, imagine how many others are out there. With over 15 million wizards in the Spiral, I would estimate hundreds of thousands would PvP. And that's being moderate. That number is likely higher. The PvP community is in no way a small minority.

AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

It's ridiculous and annoying to have amazing spells put into the game, then taken away ... because the PvP whiners deemed it too powerful.


I know the spells you are talking about.
1. Wild Bolt
2. Earthquake

Those are like the only 2 spells everyone loves to complain about. And both were changed rightfully so. Maybe some people like to fight dirty on AI enemies, and that's fine, but when fighting real people, try to have some honor and strategy.
And if you can't (which they couldn't), then KI will do it for them (which they did with the changes).


Now I don't see any more whiners about those two spells, as the changes are made: Wild Bolt has higher accuracy but has a chance of doing a mere 10 points of damage; Earthquake no longer removes Stun Shields. But soon people will again come to the message boards and try to complain and remove another spell they hate (Ra, Snow Angle, blah blah blah).

Mastermind
Feb 16, 2009
329
Solstice64 wrote:
Superwiz1560 wrote:
Solstice64 wrote:
Changes are made becuase of pvp due to how much players enjoy it. If not many of KI's customers pvped, then they wouldn't bother to chancg things for that reason.


KI changes things on PvP's behalf because people DON'T enjoy it. You don't change things when the majority enjoys it. That's like trying to fix something that's not even broken.

I think you were's trying to say that they change things because of how MANY people enjoy it, which is a load of balogna if you ask me, because as has been previously stated, PvP is an extremely minor part of the game. If you play this game just to PvP, chances are, you're playing for the wrong reason. I suggest World of Warcraft, where you won't even NEED an arena to PvP, in some cases.

But I digress. All you whiners who complain that 'This spell was made wrong.' or 'I hate opponents that heal.', try this.

Go out into the REAL Wizard101, you know, the one with quests, monsters, and rewards. Use the spells you say are made wrong. Cast a heal on yourself. Think about the people who do THAT all the time, out in the REAL Wizard101, the next time you feel like complaining on the PvP board.


When was it proven to be a minor part of the game? Did you see that feedback Friday that asks how much people pvp. Guess what, the largest amount of votes went to "all the time." So if more people enjoy pvp then not, then how is it a minor part of the game?


I'm not going to say that a lot of people don't PvP, because that would be a lie. However, I stand by the fact that PvP is only a minor part of the game.

You make little actual gameplay progress in PvP.

You can't gain experience from it.

The only worthwhile usable rewards you get from PvP besides pets (and most of those are semi-worthless) can only be used in PvP.

There are only two quests in the entire game that requires you even go near the Arena.

PvP is not a major part of this game. Major changes should NOT be made just for the sake of PvP. Wild Bolt I can understand. The first Stun rehaul was just plain nonsense.

And have you even seen some of the crazy requests for changes and observations??

okay this is what I think they gave too much power to the ice school and death school -insert drivel- I recomend to review this and find a solution

OMG again life wins cause of one big attack they need to either lower their 58 spell or unnerf all ices stuff

Oh, and I hate nature- their 1200-point heals should be banned, like, forever.

Treasure cards, I think, shouldn't work in PvP, as you should have to earn your spells. It's annoying to be a more powerful wizard but get beaten by a less powerful wizard by the only power of treasure cards.

I'd bet anything that all of the people who said the nonsense above me voted "all the time" for that PvPoll on that Feedback Friday.

So I stand by what I originally said, thank you.

By the way, sorry if that seemed like a tirade.

Survivor
Jan 17, 2011
18
Fin3cy6 wrote:
loki1201 wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

... the way you said it sounded like PvE was the extracurricular activity and PvP was the main method of combat.


I'm sorry if it sounded that way in my post. I didn't mean it to come across like that.
I understand your frustration, but all I was saying was that PvP is an element of the game, and when the developers create something (spells, clothes etc.) they need to make sure that creation works properly in both aspects - PvE and PvP.

I know that you don't care much for PvP. But I'm fairly certain the % of people that PvP is a lot higher than you realize.
On my buddy list, at least half are hardcore PvP'ers. Almost borderline addiction. Now, if that's just my buddy list, imagine how many others are out there. With over 15 million wizards in the Spiral, I would estimate hundreds of thousands would PvP. And that's being moderate. That number is likely higher. The PvP community is in no way a small minority.

AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

It's ridiculous and annoying to have amazing spells put into the game, then taken away ... because the PvP whiners deemed it too powerful.


I know the spells you are talking about.
1. Wild Bolt
2. Earthquake

Those are like the only 2 spells everyone loves to complain about. And both were changed rightfully so. Maybe some people like to fight dirty on AI enemies, and that's fine, but when fighting real people, try to have some honor and strategy.
And if you can't (which they couldn't), then KI will do it for them (which they did with the changes).


Now I don't see any more whiners about those two spells, as the changes are made: Wild Bolt has higher accuracy but has a chance of doing a mere 10 points of damage; Earthquake no longer removes Stun Shields. But soon people will again come to the message boards and try to complain and remove another spell they hate (Ra, Snow Angle, blah blah blah).


They better not remove Ra, i still want to get that. Plus to be on topic yes many people complain, but they are in the pvp arena and many people lose but that is in the Arena, not the questing world. Most of the time you will lose, but i think the pvp is great for practicing different tactics.

Delver
Aug 30, 2011
261
Superwiz1560 wrote:
Solstice64 wrote:
Superwiz1560 wrote:
Solstice64 wrote:
Changes are made becuase of pvp due to how much players enjoy it. If not many of KI's customers pvped, then they wouldn't bother to chancg things for that reason.


KI changes things on PvP's behalf because people DON'T enjoy it. You don't change things when the majority enjoys it. That's like trying to fix something that's not even broken.

I think you were's trying to say that they change things because of how MANY people enjoy it, which is a load of balogna if you ask me, because as has been previously stated, PvP is an extremely minor part of the game. If you play this game just to PvP, chances are, you're playing for the wrong reason. I suggest World of Warcraft, where you won't even NEED an arena to PvP, in some cases.

But I digress. All you whiners who complain that 'This spell was made wrong.' or 'I hate opponents that heal.', try this.

Go out into the REAL Wizard101, you know, the one with quests, monsters, and rewards. Use the spells you say are made wrong. Cast a heal on yourself. Think about the people who do THAT all the time, out in the REAL Wizard101, the next time you feel like complaining on the PvP board.


When was it proven to be a minor part of the game? Did you see that feedback Friday that asks how much people pvp. Guess what, the largest amount of votes went to "all the time." So if more people enjoy pvp then not, then how is it a minor part of the game?


I'm not going to say that a lot of people don't PvP, because that would be a lie. However, I stand by the fact that PvP is only a minor part of the game.

You make little actual gameplay progress in PvP.

You can't gain experience from it.

The only worthwhile usable rewards you get from PvP besides pets (and most of those are semi-worthless) can only be used in PvP.

There are only two quests in the entire game that requires you even go near the Arena.

PvP is not a major part of this game. Major changes should NOT be made just for the sake of PvP. Wild Bolt I can understand. The first Stun rehaul was just plain nonsense.

And have you even seen some of the crazy requests for changes and observations??

okay this is what I think they gave too much power to the ice school and death school -insert drivel- I recomend to review this and find a solution

OMG again life wins cause of one big attack they need to either lower their 58 spell or unnerf all ices stuff

Oh, and I hate nature- their 1200-point heals should be banned, like, forever.

Treasure cards, I think, shouldn't work in PvP, as you should have to earn your spells. It's annoying to be a more powerful wizard but get beaten by a less powerful wizard by the only power of treasure cards.

I'd bet anything that all of the people who said the nonsense above me voted "all the time" for that PvPoll on that Feedback Friday.

So I stand by what I originally said, thank you.

By the way, sorry if that seemed like a tirade.

I do say that the treasure cards are getting a little overused. I was fighting a low level, I think he was level 10. Since I don't want to kill him right away, I ignored the Feint and just Wraith'ed him. He still lived, but he needed one more pip for his Pixie. But instead of using Infection to lower his healing abilities, I passed to let him earn his needed pip. On the next round, he still passed even though he had two pips, so I figured he didn't draw the healing cards into his hands yet. So I passed again. On the sixth pass, I thought maybe I should just end this, but before I did he Stormzilla'ed me :?

Armiger
May 10, 2010
2080
Personally, I think Superwiz1560 hit the nail, right on the head!!!

X Marks the spot - and Wham! Knock Out!

So, let me ask this, from all the whining little geniuses out there...

If you are going to put, a low level warlord, against a legendary, do you think that storm bats is going to do enough damage to take that Legendary out?

What are lower level wizards supposed to do? They are not put against people even close to their own rank, their only chance of winning is treasure cards... So, if you are a higher level wizard, and you are losing to a lower level wizard, don't blame treasure cards, blame yourself and your so called "strategy"!

Now, that being said, on to other issues...

How is it, that these higher level wizards whine and complain? When they win, they get 30 points, for beating a low level wizard.... Yet, when they lose, they only lose 2... Come on, get with the program...

And you complain why?

PvP is so off base, it is not even funny... The only thing pvp is good for, is if you are a Legendary Wizard... When did PvP become more about level than it did about skill?

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
407
Superwiz1560 wrote:


I'm not going to say that a lot of people don't PvP, because that would be a lie. However, I stand by the fact that PvP is only a minor part of the game.

You make little actual gameplay progress in PvP.

You can't gain experience from it.

The only worthwhile usable rewards you get from PvP besides pets (and most of those are semi-worthless) can only be used in PvP.

There are only two quests in the entire game that requires you even go near the Arena.

PvP is not a major part of this game. Major changes should NOT be made just for the sake of PvP. Wild Bolt I can understand. The first Stun rehaul was just plain nonsense.

And have you even seen some of the crazy requests for changes and observations??

okay this is what I think they gave too much power to the ice school and death school -insert drivel- I recomend to review this and find a solution

OMG again life wins cause of one big attack they need to either lower their 58 spell or unnerf all ices stuff

Oh, and I hate nature- their 1200-point heals should be banned, like, forever.

Treasure cards, I think, shouldn't work in PvP, as you should have to earn your spells. It's annoying to be a more powerful wizard but get beaten by a less powerful wizard by the only power of treasure cards.

I'd bet anything that all of the people who said the nonsense above me voted "all the time" for that PvPoll on that Feedback Friday.

So I stand by what I originally said, thank you.

By the way, sorry if that seemed like a tirade.


Pvp may be minor gameplay wise, but that doesnt matter to KI if so much people keep paying their subs to continue ranked pvp (or use crowns.) Pvp is also the main encourager of buying crowns items (like mega snacks and crowns gear.) Many people in pve would buy those, but in pvp, some younger people feel forced to do so in order to win.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
1473
malt22 wrote:
Who exactly is having a tantrum?

I do agree. however. People complain a lot. And mostly, they look silly doing it. Maybe there should be a forum called 'Complaints." And all complaints about anything go in there. That would be a forum I would probably never visit.


I used to be a part of this section of the Forum and I left because every other thread was someone whining about an attack or a school and saying it needed to be weakened or removed completely. As of now, I can't name anyone in particular, but I remember a lot of the foolery I'd see around here. I doubt this section has changed very much, so I'm pretty sure you won't need to look very far to see what I'm talking about.

1