Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is it normal to do really good and then not?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 23, 2011
20
So i have been trying to get good in pvp to get the warlord gear. I experimented with all my characters to see which one was best. My lvl 72 death is 9 wins 19 losses, lvl 34 life 1 win 3 losses my lvl 36 balance 7 wins 9 losses, my lvl 5 storm 5 wins 9 losses and finally my good one my level 16 fire at first i was undefeated with 6 wins 0 losses but right when i became Sergeant i went and quested up to level 17 and I got paired up with lvl 40's and Warlords i went straight down to 500 again after being at 568. I got 6 losses in a row is this normal or am i just unlucky. But seriously a level 17 fire with low health and bad cards against level 40 ices with 43 resist this isn't even fair i could understand if i as a warlord but to fight someone 23 level higher , so is this normal?

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4120
It illustrates a big problem with pvp matching. If you want to be high ranked early in pvp, you basically have to skip playing pve to prevent leveling up. As you level up and rank up you get matched up to higher levels so matches will always get harder if you play the game and do pvp on the same character. It shouldn't be an either/or choice.

Survivor
Sep 23, 2011
20
seethe42 on Apr 8, 2014 wrote:
It illustrates a big problem with pvp matching. If you want to be high ranked early in pvp, you basically have to skip playing pve to prevent leveling up. As you level up and rank up you get matched up to higher levels so matches will always get harder if you play the game and do pvp on the same character. It shouldn't be an either/or choice.
Ok, thank you now i understand why it suddenly got so hard.

Explorer
Oct 10, 2010
92
David JadeBreaker on Apr 8, 2014 wrote:
So i have been trying to get good in pvp to get the warlord gear. I experimented with all my characters to see which one was best. My lvl 72 death is 9 wins 19 losses, lvl 34 life 1 win 3 losses my lvl 36 balance 7 wins 9 losses, my lvl 5 storm 5 wins 9 losses and finally my good one my level 16 fire at first i was undefeated with 6 wins 0 losses but right when i became Sergeant i went and quested up to level 17 and I got paired up with lvl 40's and Warlords i went straight down to 500 again after being at 568. I got 6 losses in a row is this normal or am i just unlucky. But seriously a level 17 fire with low health and bad cards against level 40 ices with 43 resist this isn't even fair i could understand if i as a warlord but to fight someone 23 level higher , so is this normal?
Yes, I see many wizards start out at 9 wins and 1 loss, or
15 winds and 1 lost, and then they fail at that point.
As you level up, you will get better players, and ones with
solid strategies, that can stop you cold. A 23 level
difference can be difficult, I certainly agree with that.

So, ignoring all the wizards, but the Fire Wizard, here is what I think.
I would level your fire wizard up until he gets Heck Hound, at 130 damage per pip.
Purchase Crown gear, if at all possible.
Start gardening, and get up to a Level 5 gardener as quick at you can.
This will give you a supply of snacks to Level up a good pet.
If you can, have three or four Wizard farming plants for snack.
Keep one wizard to bring up the Pet, and for hatching more, etc.

See if you can get a pet with double resist, damage and accuracy.
If you can also get May cast Fairy, even better, this is very (very) helpful.

While building your wizard's pet up, get into 1v1 Practice matches,
and battle as much as you can. Record the matches, so the really
hard matches, or the ones where you are second, you can learn from.

The more experience you can attain, the better, and it will really help
you once you walk into Ranked.

I would also spend some spare time with the Loremaster, trying to
get the fire spell. This will be a huge plus, if you can get it.

Once last comment, don't be afraid to change you deck, as needed.
Do you need more damage, can find enough shields, are you
agressive enough, etc. I change my deck a little all the time,
even after I thought I had a perfect setup. The game changes,
and therefore you deck must change.

Survivor
Sep 23, 2011
20
IcicleWar on Apr 9, 2014 wrote:
Yes, I see many wizards start out at 9 wins and 1 loss, or
15 winds and 1 lost, and then they fail at that point.
As you level up, you will get better players, and ones with
solid strategies, that can stop you cold. A 23 level
difference can be difficult, I certainly agree with that.

So, ignoring all the wizards, but the Fire Wizard, here is what I think.
I would level your fire wizard up until he gets Heck Hound, at 130 damage per pip.
Purchase Crown gear, if at all possible.
Start gardening, and get up to a Level 5 gardener as quick at you can.
This will give you a supply of snacks to Level up a good pet.
If you can, have three or four Wizard farming plants for snack.
Keep one wizard to bring up the Pet, and for hatching more, etc.

See if you can get a pet with double resist, damage and accuracy.
If you can also get May cast Fairy, even better, this is very (very) helpful.

While building your wizard's pet up, get into 1v1 Practice matches,
and battle as much as you can. Record the matches, so the really
hard matches, or the ones where you are second, you can learn from.

The more experience you can attain, the better, and it will really help
you once you walk into Ranked.

I would also spend some spare time with the Loremaster, trying to
get the fire spell. This will be a huge plus, if you can get it.

Once last comment, don't be afraid to change you deck, as needed.
Do you need more damage, can find enough shields, are you
agressive enough, etc. I change my deck a little all the time,
even after I thought I had a perfect setup. The game changes,
and therefore you deck must change.
I am now working on a level 5 Myth 4 wins 1 loss my resist is 25% to life 21% to ice and 17% to the rest and i put my best pet on her it gives may cast sprite may cast fairy 9% spell proof and may cast empowerment. So far so good and i got the royal fusilier's hat and robes with jade mystery boots ascendent staff and heartsteel. so i this a good set up?

Defender
Jul 26, 2009
169
Its because the game sees your winning, And it pairs you with increasingly hard opponents.

The way the system works is it combines your level with your rank. and then it finds people with a close rating. ,
A level 30 with 900 rank = a level 50 Private
A level 50 with 0 Rank ~ = A level 30 Captain
If that makes sense, after a number of games you should be paired with people of whom you ave an advantage over.

Its not luck, its just the system working as intended.

Survivor
Sep 23, 2011
20
David JadeBreaker on Apr 10, 2014 wrote:
I am now working on a level 5 Myth 4 wins 1 loss my resist is 25% to life 21% to ice and 17% to the rest and i put my best pet on her it gives may cast sprite may cast fairy 9% spell proof and may cast empowerment. So far so good and i got the royal fusilier's hat and robes with jade mystery boots ascendent staff and heartsteel. so i this a good set up?
I now have he PvP Commander badge.