Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

insane bolt's ratio hit

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 23, 2011
13
This spell is banned only in pvp for low level wizards and none storm high level but not for storm promethean level. The times I was hit by it far more exceeds the times the caster was hit. Used many times by storm wizards in the opening salvo, plus critical, damage boost, pierce and, infallible, before i can even cast my first spell my head was already turning. By experience it is like four-to-one ratio. Four- being the target is hit , and one - for the caster. Can this spell be banned in pvp entirely even for storm promethean since the target can only pray or wish that the caster will be hit by it? It removes good strategy and this spell only depends entirely in luck.

pindot77

Hero
Dec 16, 2009
772
The ration is 80% chance to hit opponent and 20% chance to hit self. I disagree that this spell should be banned from PvP. It comes at a heavy drawback(instant defeat if backfiring) which helps to balance this spell. Insane bolt is an essential tool for storm wizards as it is our primary way to shift tempo and is an excellent last resort. I do however agree that the ratio should be readjusted to 70-30 as I suggested to KI over 2 years ago:
Insane Bolt: A complete Analysis from a 1v1 PvP perspective.

Defender
Apr 17, 2009
191
It is a 1/2 chance, Flip a coin, Thats the chances of you getting hit over and over again, It is a perfectly fine spell in PvP, Either you get deaded/damaged in 1st round, or they lose first round. It is a extremely risky hit.

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
318
MiguelThefirst on Oct 27, 2013 wrote:
It is a 1/2 chance, Flip a coin, Thats the chances of you getting hit over and over again, It is a perfectly fine spell in PvP, Either you get deaded/damaged in 1st round, or they lose first round. It is a extremely risky hit.
I highly doubt the chances of insane bolt hitting your opponent or yourself is a 50/50 chance since I've seen insane bolt hit the opponent WAY more times than it killing its caster. I agree with Eric's observation that the chances of insane bolt hitting your opponent is 80% and the chances of insane bolt hitting yourself is 20%. I think insane bolt should have a 75% chance of hitting your opponent and 25% chance of hitting yourself.

Survivor
Feb 02, 2013
47
It's meant to be that way... Think of it from this point of view: Why would they make it more likely to kill yourself than to inflict some good damage on the enemy? Obviously, they're going to make it more likely to hit the enemy.

Defender
Apr 07, 2011
156
Eric Stormbringer on Oct 27, 2013 wrote:
The ration is 80% chance to hit opponent and 20% chance to hit self. I disagree that this spell should be banned from PvP. It comes at a heavy drawback(instant defeat if backfiring) which helps to balance this spell. Insane bolt is an essential tool for storm wizards as it is our primary way to shift tempo and is an excellent last resort. I do however agree that the ratio should be readjusted to 70-30 as I suggested to KI over 2 years ago:
Insane Bolt: A complete Analysis from a 1v1 PvP perspective.
Insane bolt should be banned entirely. That spell hasn't got any relation with strategy. Its just a gambling spell, ruins good matches.

Hero
Dec 16, 2009
772
Jerry Saibot on Oct 28, 2013 wrote:
Insane bolt should be banned entirely. That spell hasn't got any relation with strategy. Its just a gambling spell, ruins good matches.
No the spell should not be banned entirely. The main premise of your argument seems to be that since this is a spell based on chance then it should be banned. This is extremely illogical as most of this game is based on chance. Any spell under 100% accuracy is a chance to cast, every turn power pip gains are a mere chance. Even the hand you get and the cards you draw are based on chance. Chance on it's own is no reason to ban a spell. As for the strategy aspect, insane bolt can be used very strategically: At the beginning of the battle to set the tone, midway through battle to change the tempo, at the end of the battle to possibly change the outcome of the match. Insane bolt is one of the key strategic spells given to the storm school and I find it makes for very interesting matches.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
523
Jerry Saibot on Oct 28, 2013 wrote:
Insane bolt should be banned entirely. That spell hasn't got any relation with strategy. Its just a gambling spell, ruins good matches.
Using this logic, they should also remove critical since it has nothing to do with strategy. I'm all for removing both.

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
195
Jerry Saibot on Oct 28, 2013 wrote:
Insane bolt should be banned entirely. That spell hasn't got any relation with strategy. Its just a gambling spell, ruins good matches.
From what I've read I see no reason why it should be banned. Sure it's powerful but comes with a drawback as well.. and I'd say that the luck aspect makes things more exciting since you don't know if it's gonna hit you.. or smack the opponent who cast it in the first place.

Survivor
Nov 22, 2012
29
yea insane bolt is totally OP i've seen first turn kills that dont even give the opponent a chance at the game.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
1359
Storm has faced enough nerfs, I think they can keep it. It's their choice to risk themselves.