Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hydra Hoard Packs and PvP

AuthorMessage
Community Leader
I honestly think that everyone is overreacting. This all boils down to a single wand's critical block. And new cards on the gears. All from the Hydra Hoard Pack.

Think about it.. new cards on the lower level wizards will help them fight the higher leveled PvP players who have Critical, Block and Armor Piercing. How do you fight that? It's not fair to lower leveled players who have to fight that and lose points. It isn't their fault.

Also, the spirit school and balance has LOUSY block and resist. So how can they protect themselves in PvP? But yes you don't wanna the elemental schools to be impossible to defeat.

But then, if you take away the critical block, how can we all protect ourselves in the game? I don't wanna the bosses' cheats or stats to be nerfed just because of PvP. That'd just ruin the whole game. I mean in a way PvP is ruining the game. I came here to play the game, not worry about PvP and spending so much crowns on that. If PvP did not exist, there would be no cause for this kind of discussion.

My solution: Make two different gear systems. One for PvP (cannot cross over into the questing) and one for questing (cannot cross over to PvP) to be purchased with tickets. We need better PvP arena gear for Level 70s, 80s so on. Every level, add new PvP Arena Gear. This way you have more balanced clothes that covers both sides of the game. "One Size Fits All" cannot exist in this game. We seriously have to set up a new system. It's getting ridiculous.

Oh and PS: the crit wand? Why can't you just have it be dropped in the game if it's THAT powerful? Or sold in Crown Shop even for a crown price? Why in a pack? That doesn't make any sense. Unless that wand is a common drop in the packs perhaps. But not everyone wants to spend crowns on packs. Please don't forget that a lot of us are struggling money wise in this economy. We do want to spend money, but not to the point where you have to spend so much of it.

Need help with Zeke, Packs, Pets, Gear? Stars of the Spiral has guides for everything that you can think of. Click here to visit our site today!
Community Leader
I have absolutely no problem with the wand's stats. I think a wand with great critical block and a little heal boost is a FANTASTIC addition, both to PvP and PvE, perhaps even necessary in both.

My issue is with the point you made at the end - that this wand is only in a hoard pack. If you have two skilled PvP'ers facing each other, its doesn't come down to foresight or proper planning, or even good/bad deck luck.... it comes down to who has (and is willing to spend) the most money IRL. Whoever had the means to keep spending and spending and spening until they got a wand, wins. We saw it with the raven's pack, and now again with this one, which makes a pattern that troubles my greatly.

I have three accounts - I pay money to KI every month to have access to all areas of the game, derby, PvP, etc. It's like I'm being told "You want to have access to PvP? Sure, just pay this sub fee! Oh wait, you meant you wanted to stand a chance at WINNING PvP? Well, that's a whole other story.... what was your credit card number again?"

This gear really is great, imho, and the stats make a huge difference. Which is why it shouldn't only be for the players who can pay through the nose until they get what they want. it makes PvP the playground of the rich and spoiled and leave those who are willing to work hard with no way to get the items they'd put effort into obtaining. Most people would be willing to farm, or even save up the 10K crowns necessary to buy a new wand. But to ask them to pour money into these packs endlessly until they get the new item (that you have to have to compete) is both taking advantage of the players with money to burn, and a slap in the face to those that don't - as though the commitment they made with a subscription isn't good enough.

Hoard packs should be for items that don't affect the balance of the game. Mounts, pets, housing items, pet energy gear, etc, are all AWESOME items in a pack. But to include gear with stats that can change the balance of the game? That's not cool. :/

For gameplay tips, check the official Mercenaries101 fansite! To request free, experienced help with bosses & dungeons, click here for our forum.
Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
cheyinza wrote:
I honestly think that everyone is overreacting. This all boils down to a single wand's critical block. And new cards on the gears. All from the Hydra Hoard Pack.

Think about it.. new cards on the lower level wizards will help them fight the higher leveled PvP players who have Critical, Block and Armor Piercing. How do you fight that? It's not fair to lower leveled players who have to fight that and lose points. It isn't their fault.

Also, the spirit school and balance has LOUSY block and resist. So how can they protect themselves in PvP? But yes you don't wanna the elemental schools to be impossible to defeat.

But then, if you take away the critical block, how can we all protect ourselves in the game? I don't wanna the bosses' cheats or stats to be nerfed just because of PvP. That'd just ruin the whole game. I mean in a way PvP is ruining the game. I came here to play the game, not worry about PvP and spending so much crowns on that. If PvP did not exist, there would be no cause for this kind of discussion.

My solution: Make two different gear systems. One for PvP (cannot cross over into the questing) and one for questing (cannot cross over to PvP) to be purchased with tickets. We need better PvP arena gear for Level 70s, 80s so on. Every level, add new PvP Arena Gear. This way you have more balanced clothes that covers both sides of the game. "One Size Fits All" cannot exist in this game. We seriously have to set up a new system. It's getting ridiculous.

Oh and PS: the crit wand? Why can't you just have it be dropped in the game if it's THAT powerful? Or sold in Crown Shop even for a crown price? Why in a pack? That doesn't make any sense. Unless that wand is a common drop in the packs perhaps. But not everyone wants to spend crowns on packs. Please don't forget that a lot of us are struggling money wise in this economy. We do want to spend money, but not to the point where you have to spend so much of it.

Its called warlord, and commander gear. all they really need to do to achieve this is make waterworks and wintertusk crafted gear banned from pvp, which i don't see why they would do that, because it isn't the problem in pvp imo. The problem is puppet teams, spamming spells that you are helpless against, dirty pvp, and so on. Yes the system needs to be fixed. I completely agree, but if they would do this, i think it would be taking the completely wrong approach. What they need to improve is the system in which people are just having a good fun time battling each other, and not constantly trying to find new ways to abuse the system.

As far as the critical wand goes, why is everyone complaining about it? If you don't want to spend all the money and crowns on it then fine, that's your choice. They are trying to make money off of it, which i don't blame them for doing. If you are looking for a good wand i suggest looking into getting the "Wyrd oak staff". That's the wand i use and i think its pretty epic. It gives something like 25 universal critical and 75 critical block and of course the power pip to start.

Community Leader
I have the Wyrd Oak staff - several on each account, for all of my archmages, and you're right in that it's not a bad alternative for schools that want to keep a little bit of critical. But if I choose to play defensively and as healer or back up healer (my ice, life, balance, death) I will be more than 50 critical block and 10% heal boost behind. That's not even close to equitable.

You say, "If you don't want to spend all the money and crowns on it then fine, that's your choice. They are trying to make money off of it, which i don't blame them for doing." What is my choice? To lose to another simply because they are willing to dump endless amounts of money into packs and I am not? I suppose that is my choice, but I don't have to like that I'm being put in the position that I now need to MAKE that choice. Of course I don't blame KI for trying to make money. I WANT to see KI succeed as a company. I just don't think the correct way to do that is by giving a distinct advantage to those who pour money into the packs. Pay to win may be profitable, but that doesn't make it a good business practice. If KI needs money from PvP that badly, charge a separate cost for PvP access over and a above a membership. Though I'm sure there would be an uproar, I'd rather pay a bit extra for access on equitable grounds than have a few pay to gain an unfair advantage. IMHO the hoard packs would be just as successful with just mounts, pets, cool new housing items, pet energy gear, etc... the balance of the game doesn't need to thrown in favour of those with more money in order for them to make money on these. In general I like the hoard packs. I STILL like the hoard packs. I just don't like this one item that they've decided to include in it.

For gameplay tips, check the official Mercenaries101 fansite! To request free, experienced help with bosses & dungeons, click here for our forum.
Explorer
Dec 12, 2010
i just made a life character and it is crazy unfair for our block and critical! I am thinking of making my storm back up again. I miss my storm and all of my storm's friends!!!

Explorer
Dec 12, 2010
Survivor
Dec 18, 2009
My opinion about the game when it comes to spending money is you must be responsible and be smart about it. Not saying anyone is short of a brain or anything but look if there is anything about this game that's true when it comes to spending money is not all the time you get your money worth.
These hoard packs are big money makers to K.I. and they have that right to a profit. Whether its fair or not they will do what they will when it comes to anything they add to the game and that's final. They will not make the hoard pack drops any higher, it will always be a arm and a leg cost till you get what you want. While as appealing as the mounts look and everything else they add that allures players to open their wallets you simply have to ask yourself if this is all worth it or not? I am sry but i rather spend my money on something that is absolute. Think about it the hundreds of dollars you spent on a chance to get this mount or staff could have been spend on a bundle pack that gives you crowns a mount, a wand, etc or something else you could have used.This is how i did every hoard pack, if i dont get it in 5 bucks (2500) then i am not trying anymore. Not trying to tell anyone what to do like i said this is simply my opinion on it.
As for pvp? the only thing i can say is you have to walk in with the best stats and gear out there and that's just the truth. High resist, high critical block, Huge healing boost, a good pet and fingers crossed because i tell you at this age in the games players are going hardcore. I can say K.I. didn't think alot of things through when they shot out all these new additions to the game. Whether people agree with me or not pvp isn't about strategy anymore, you just need to have simple twinks to win. you either bring your wizard with the 4 things i mentioned or you will get eaten alive in there,and before anyone asked yes i have pvp. lvl 80 Necromancer Joshua Deathwraith pvp captain and i stopped there. I cant get my wizard with the means to be a competitive fighter in pvp because its simply a chance to get what i want like everything else in the game is.
This is a game of chance, Probability is the focus here and this is where the game is headed. Not to be blunt but i will suggest lowering your expectations when it comes to making things slightly easier in the game. They will make it as hard as they can. While most may say K.I. focus is to make it a challenge, i say this: Challenge exist in any game or any activity, the level of the challenge itself determines how achievable the task is. Whether its trying to get an item from a pack or trying to win a battle in pvp you just gotta know when to back off a bit. K.I. approach to this game for millions of it subscribers is throwing stars in the sky and say reach for them.

Survivor
Jan 20, 2012
I know this is kinda off topic but i am kinda not liking the new pack gear, especially hydra hoard gear. they are now allowing people to get critical at lower levels. Its annoying!
I got a level 16 is warlord or it least he was but then i went against a level 40 private. So even though he has almost 3 times my health and is going first i am beating him, then he casts a treasure card leviathan and criticals! i would have survived without critical cause of my gear but i cant block cause of my level!
KI please take critical away from people below level 50 its so difficult to handle in the game.

Connor Deathhammer
level 16 ice ( FORMER warlord)