Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How Rude!

AuthorMessage
Champion
Jan 23, 2009
I recently have run into a pack of players who think that they are supporting each other by jeering on their opponents. Okay I could ignore them, but why should I have to. If you are there you are there to watch not to second guess and insult the players. KI should make it so that observers get great views and if they are going to be able to see what I am choosing then they should be muted. Wizards should not be allowed to call out what you are about to play unless we just let everyone in. Nor should they be allowed to talk to either player.

Its distracting, and in some cases the offender cross the line and because bullies intimidating players. I was playing a game while my son was watching and reading and then a group of wizards there to cheer on a friend so little to cheer her on and more to insult me and intimidate me. Some may call this strategy I call it cyberbullying. I would like that something be done about this.

With all the great players, new rules gear and spells pvp has become quite the challenge. I should be able to enjoy my game without having to ignore a whole gang of bullies. They're simply there to make their friend's challenger feel small.

Using harrassment and pretend that they dont know what you mean when you ask them to stop. This is not fun. Oh and calling out my cards that's just cheating.

I am suggesting that we either not allow peeks into the players hands OR silence the peanut gallory. There is a culture of cheating in pvp and its talked about openly in the arena. KI I know you have been trying but this once is an easy fix. That last up date seemed like a cool idea (the sneak peek) but its turning out to be a way to cheat. All one needs to do is have a friend or another account and you can watch and see what the other is doing. Its like playing poker and bluffing with all your cards on the table.

I hope something is done soon. I was so disturbed by the nonstop taunting of the other wizards that I had to report one and that did not even bother her she continued to press the issues.

Is it fair that I have to miss out on talking to friends and all to mute the bullies? Shouldnt they learn self control rather than trying to force anyone who is insulted into ignoring them? Maybe its me maybe I am being too sensitive. I really dont think I was. I am just tired of the string of overbearingly rude personalities deciding that they can say and do whatever they like dispite your vocal objectiions. If I can silence the player against me I would like to be able to silence the audience as well. Its distracting its rude and mostly its unnecessary.

I hope something can be done.

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
Elder Wizard Sojo on May 25, 2013 wrote:
I recently have run into a pack of players who think that they are supporting each other by jeering on their opponents. Okay I could ignore them, but why should I have to. If you are there you are there to watch not to second guess and insult the players. KI should make it so that observers get great views and if they are going to be able to see what I am choosing then they should be muted. Wizards should not be allowed to call out what you are about to play unless we just let everyone in. Nor should they be allowed to talk to either player.

Its distracting, and in some cases the offender cross the line and because bullies intimidating players. I was playing a game while my son was watching and reading and then a group of wizards there to cheer on a friend so little to cheer her on and more to insult me and intimidate me. Some may call this strategy I call it cyberbullying. I would like that something be done about this.

With all the great players, new rules gear and spells pvp has become quite the challenge. I should be able to enjoy my game without having to ignore a whole gang of bullies. They're simply there to make their friend's challenger feel small.

Using harrassment and pretend that they dont know what you mean when you ask them to stop. This is not fun. Oh and calling out my cards that's just cheating.

I am suggesting that we either not allow peeks into the players hands OR silence the peanut gallory. There is a culture of cheating in pvp and its talked about openly in the arena. KI I know you have been trying but this once is an easy fix. That last up date seemed like a cool idea (the sneak peek) but its turning out to be a way to cheat. All one needs to do is have a friend or another account and you can watch and see what the other is doing. Its like playing poker and bluffing with all your cards on the table.

I hope something is done soon. I was so disturbed by the nonstop taunting of the other wizards that I had to report one and that did not even bother her she continued to press the issues.

Is it fair that I have to miss out on talking to friends and all to mute the bullies? Shouldnt they learn self control rather than trying to force anyone who is insulted into ignoring them? Maybe its me maybe I am being too sensitive. I really dont think I was. I am just tired of the string of overbearingly rude personalities deciding that they can say and do whatever they like dispite your vocal objectiions. If I can silence the player against me I would like to be able to silence the audience as well. Its distracting its rude and mostly its unnecessary.

I've noticed the same things as well. People tend to be complete jerks when it comes to PVP. However my experience with the harassment side mostly comes during the matches where it can be referred to as trash-talk (mind you the trash-talker didn't even cast a spell). But I can see where you're coming from and I'd honestly hate it if people did that during my matches. Let's hope that KI reads this and does something about it. For the record though, I never knew that you could look into the player's hands. If that's possible then there ought to be a way that if you don't want your hand showing you could turn off that option.

Explorer
Jul 16, 2012

My solution: Ban spell names in the arena.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
I believe I know the pack of players you are talking about. There have been several complaints about them in the Arena as well as on the boards. They taunt and torment other observers as well as opponents to their friends in PvP.

It's annoying and seriously reduces the enjoyment of the game. If you are being harassed or bullied, it is reportable. If possible, have friends come in to watch and take screenshots or video.

Putting these players on ignore does not solve the issue. They just go to someone else to bully and harass, and that could mean a young child who would be seriously affected by this (and if it IS the same bullies, they have done this).

They love to cheat, taunt, torment, harass and bully anyone in the arena (including spectators). This needs to stop.

Brynn IceBlade
Leader, Wizard City Protectors

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Spectator mode is a mistake and always has been;
it just opens the door to cheating and harassment.

I agree with this assessment~ either mute the peanut gallery or get rid of spectator mode. Of all the things wrong with PVP, this is the worst judgement call by KI in the history of ever.

-

When people harass me, I just put them on ignore. That way, I can still chat with friends freely~ my fire wizard sometimes faces people who bring friends into the arena just to taunt from the sidelines, just like what happened to Sojourna and her son; real sports have restrictions (rules against things like unsportsmanlike conduct and cheating), so why should the arena be any different?

Me and the OP have disagreed on a great many things in the past, but this is not one of them. For the love of all things sacred, KI, please listen to your community.

-v.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
@Sojourna and TSLsmokey, This is not the first time I have heard about this lately and I agree that the bullying seems to be getting way out of hand. As Que has stated, ignoring them is not a solution and having friends there would help.

If I might suggest, when you are in a match, turn off your Chat bubbles to reduce the distraction these bullies are causing for you. You and your teammate could at this point use group chat and of course, if you are playing with a family member, you may not even need that unless in separate rooms. Many PvPers have been doing this just for that reason. If you are just watching a match, be sure to report if the infractions are reportable. But please refrain from any verbal exchange with the bullies.

As for the Spectator View, Your selected spell does not show up until you Cast it. At least that is the way it is supposed to work and from the matches I have watched, that is how it is working. If this is not how it is working when you are in a match, please be sure to file a ticket/bug report to KI.

Fallon WinterLeaf
A Founding Member, "Wizard City Protectors"

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
I'm glad someone brought this up, but more for the combat preview of seeing your spell, than the rudeness. The rudeness has been around since I started playing 2 years. I ignore liberally and recommend others do the same.

What bothers me is that my opponent's friend gets to see what my spell is exactly. For example, when I cast a bubble my opponent probably assumes it's a regular deck bubble. But what if it's treasure card bubble? Now my opponent knows I put an extra powerful bubble up, when this is information he simply should not have access to see.

Other problems with this view is seeing if a spell is enchanted, seeing if a spell is a treasure card, seeing if a weakness has extraordinary on it, etc. etc. Smart players can gain useful information just by knowing the exact nature of your spell.

Defender
Apr 22, 2012
Joshua Starflame on May 26, 2013 wrote:
I've noticed the same things as well. People tend to be complete jerks when it comes to PVP. However my experience with the harassment side mostly comes during the matches where it can be referred to as trash-talk (mind you the trash-talker didn't even cast a spell). But I can see where you're coming from and I'd honestly hate it if people did that during my matches. Let's hope that KI reads this and does something about it. For the record though, I never knew that you could look into the player's hands. If that's possible then there ought to be a way that if you don't want your hand showing you could turn off that option.
I agree with you LAST point. If you don't trust other players you should be able to turn off the thing that allows spectators to see your spell, if you were hiding that you were fire, and you finally use a fire spell and you fizzle, say efreet, the spectators tell the other team and they shield, it's SO annoying please add this feature Kingsisle

Survivor
May 16, 2013

I don't understand why people don't understand this....

1. People cannot forewarn other's spells

2. Ingoring IS the easiest solution (I hate trolls as much as the next guy)

3. People cannot forewarn other's spells

4. Reporting does add up to something in the end

5. People cannot forewarn other's spells

Okay so, the spectator mode shows the audience your spell. Yes it does. Does it show it before it is cast? Only sometimes in 4v4s (pet casts reveal wizard casts, small issue in my opinion) Spectator mode shows the spell AS IT IS BEING CASTED. Not before and not after. I just posted on a thread about this same topic. Spectator mode was the greatest part of the last update IMO.

Wolf Skullslinger, Thaumaturge by Trade

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Spectators should NOT be able to chat with participants, or vice versa, in any match.

It's too easy for scouting to occur.

I'm appalled and disgusted with spectator behaviour in general, but recognize that online gaming attracts a lot of folks with low social skills, so this problem isn't endemic to KI.

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
I am sorry but it did not appear to like that when I watched. I went to look and I could see not only what he played but what he planned to play and switched. I can see there is a delay but only the slightest of delays and if you are text with your friend in combat you can let them know.

Still in any event its not a good idea and is only being used to intimidate other players.

Survivor
Apr 17, 2011
Dr Von on May 27, 2013 wrote:
Spectator mode is a mistake and always has been;
it just opens the door to cheating and harassment.

I agree with this assessment~ either mute the peanut gallery or get rid of spectator mode. Of all the things wrong with PVP, this is the worst judgement call by KI in the history of ever.

-

When people harass me, I just put them on ignore. That way, I can still chat with friends freely~ my fire wizard sometimes faces people who bring friends into the arena just to taunt from the sidelines, just like what happened to Sojourna and her son; real sports have restrictions (rules against things like unsportsmanlike conduct and cheating), so why should the arena be any different?

Me and the OP have disagreed on a great many things in the past, but this is not one of them. For the love of all things sacred, KI, please listen to your community.

-v.
Okay this is a problem but I dont think getting rid of spectator mode the anwser since some people have tourment.

but we should be able to turn off spectator mode

Explorer
May 18, 2010
I don't think spectator mode is too bad. However, I do not think it should show the spells being cast. It does get annoying when someone's pet heals and the viewers shout the spell that is being cast.

Remember though, there's always going to be rude people in this world and nobody can change how they act. Hopefully they will grow up but the best thing to do is just ignore them-all they want is attention.

Survivor
May 16, 2009
I believe that those within the battles themselves should not have access to text or any other chat (seeing it or participating in it at all) to minimize the possibility of such scouting. You are busy with a battle. It's that simple.

Spectators should just do that ... watch. Remove their chat ability entirely within the Arena when a battle is occurring. No chat, no bullying, no scouting, no problem. If someone is dead set and determined to cheat, it will require contact options outside of Wizard101, which will not be under KI's control.

What say you?

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
Dude, you are aware people don't see what you use until you are actually casting it, right? However, I do agree it is unacceptable to have wizards bullying each other. I mean, come on, are some people that much of no lives they have to bully people in a game? Get real guys, you're not cool if you bully someone... you're cool if you stand against it.

Survivor
Jul 14, 2012
wolf legend on May 28, 2013 wrote:
I don't understand why people don't understand this....

1. People cannot forewarn other's spells

2. Ingoring IS the easiest solution (I hate trolls as much as the next guy)

3. People cannot forewarn other's spells

4. Reporting does add up to something in the end

5. People cannot forewarn other's spells

Okay so, the spectator mode shows the audience your spell. Yes it does. Does it show it before it is cast? Only sometimes in 4v4s (pet casts reveal wizard casts, small issue in my opinion) Spectator mode shows the spell AS IT IS BEING CASTED. Not before and not after. I just posted on a thread about this same topic. Spectator mode was the greatest part of the last update IMO.

Wolf Skullslinger, Thaumaturge by Trade
Yeah your most certainly right. I just don't get why most people are so ignorant of this info people try and tell them?

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
xxAaronxx121 on Jun 4, 2013 wrote:
I don't think spectator mode is too bad. However, I do not think it should show the spells being cast. It does get annoying when someone's pet heals and the viewers shout the spell that is being cast.

Remember though, there's always going to be rude people in this world and nobody can change how they act. Hopefully they will grow up but the best thing to do is just ignore them-all they want is attention.
I'm with you on your first point, about not showing the spells being cast.. However the thing is that with games like this, the people usually don't grow up. Yes there are cases where they do grow up, but this is very rare. If they manage to get a reaction out of people that's when they keep doing this rude stuff. Now, there are people trying to help and while I think it works sometimes, I'm going to have to agree with an earlier post by DragonLady and say, yeah don't reply to the bullies. They'll classify it as a reaction that they like and they'll keep on doing it. I had to learn this lesson the hard way in real life and I really don't want people to have to learn it the way I did, that being said I know the temptation to respond to these people is seriously bad and 9 times out of 10 you will respond. My advice, though easier said than done, do the 1 time out of 10, don't respond at all. Just attempt to enjoy your game and like DragonLady said, if the insults are reportable, report them. Don't let them get away with this, but don't respond to them either.

Explorer
May 18, 2010
Joshua Starflame on Jun 5, 2013 wrote:
I'm with you on your first point, about not showing the spells being cast.. However the thing is that with games like this, the people usually don't grow up. Yes there are cases where they do grow up, but this is very rare. If they manage to get a reaction out of people that's when they keep doing this rude stuff. Now, there are people trying to help and while I think it works sometimes, I'm going to have to agree with an earlier post by DragonLady and say, yeah don't reply to the bullies. They'll classify it as a reaction that they like and they'll keep on doing it. I had to learn this lesson the hard way in real life and I really don't want people to have to learn it the way I did, that being said I know the temptation to respond to these people is seriously bad and 9 times out of 10 you will respond. My advice, though easier said than done, do the 1 time out of 10, don't respond at all. Just attempt to enjoy your game and like DragonLady said, if the insults are reportable, report them. Don't let them get away with this, but don't respond to them either.
Yes, I agree with you about the majority of people don't grow up. But it could also be that they are just trying to "fit in" with the "populars". They get hooked with their buddies and peer pressure occurs if whether they should do what their buddies are doing. Especially at a younger age, some people can easily get influenced by their buddies. In some cases their buddies could turn out to be a bad example but the younger ones try to fit in and go with it.

I'm not saying everyone does this-some actually try to avoid it. However, some try to take advantage of others occasionally.and forms a clique. At that point you have a group of "immature/rude" people but [possibly] a larger portion of them are just trying to fit in.

Explorer
Nov 17, 2012
lol i really never had a problem like that in pvp but now i think i'll be more careful lol PS: dragonlady ty 4 actually giving good advise lol. (Blaze Moonmender promethean)

Survivor
Feb 04, 2012
I don't remember that Spectator View allows you to see the spell about to be cast far ahead of time. When I've used it, it only shows the spell the person is about to cast a few microseconds before the spell is actually casted. By then, it would be too late to change your spell.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
crunkatog on May 28, 2013 wrote:
Spectators should NOT be able to chat with participants, or vice versa, in any match.

It's too easy for scouting to occur.

I'm appalled and disgusted with spectator behaviour in general, but recognize that online gaming attracts a lot of folks with low social skills, so this problem isn't endemic to KI.
I suggested something very similar in another thread.

Teams should only be able to chat within their team. Spectators should not be able to chat with a combatant.

The one answer to this would be make the Arena, a NO CHAT ZONE. Spectators could still chat with someone outside the arena, but as far as inside, NO. By doing this, it would in effect, stop the bullying and cursing in the arena.

As for the Spectator view showing the spells as they are being cast, I honestly think it takes away from the overall excitement and thrill of seeing the outcome. If you were watching a football game or other sport, you don't have the option of seeing what the next play is going to be. The same was certainly true in centuries in the past for watching gladiator games, jousting or any other that involved combatants.

Survivor
Oct 23, 2010
You guyys are right they should be muted and they shouldnt pick on other wizards or people be nice or just mind your own business Ryan Trollgrove Level 90

Survivor
Nov 15, 2009
The spectacator mode should just show everything but the spell. Problem solved case closed.

Explorer
Dec 20, 2012

Its absolutely WRONG what wizards do to other people. Some people showed up watching my sisters duel and they were like girls can't duel, and making jeers about girls . It was absolutely sexist and i think that people should just be quiet and watch the duel, if anybody else agrees with me, comment.

Alyssa IceBlade
Corporal of

Explorer
Jul 16, 2012
Hello, this is a thread on the Message Boards, not an arguing contest.
Please stop fighting!