Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How are these Journeyman and Novices so good?

1
AuthorMessage
Defender
Apr 02, 2009
105
Just the other day I was watching my friend duel and a dude in the crowd asked to fight me. He was a novice. I took him on in practice and all of a sudden he's using fire dragon storm lord scarecrow and all these amazing spells.

It happened again in a ranked match and now I am only knight. This is outrageous! Something has to be done about treasure cards they are just unfair in the arena!

Dylan ShadowTallon Lvl44 Diviner

Explorer
Dec 19, 2008
60
Woah! Now that is just unfair....

You probably worked really hard for that rank, and to loose it to a novice using treasure cards? Wow. I think that banning treasure cards in pvp might be the only solution! I really don't like it when I see a wizard using frost giant and fire dragon! it really bothers me!

Jennifer Angleweaver
level 48 thaumaturge

Defender
Jul 18, 2009
160
garyboy11 wrote:
Just the other day I was watching my friend duel and a dude in the crowd asked to fight me. He was a novice. I took him on in practice and all of a sudden he's using fire dragon storm lord scarecrow and all these amazing spells.

It happened again in a ranked match and now I am only knight. This is outrageous! Something has to be done about treasure cards they are just unfair in the arena!

Dylan ShadowTallon Lvl44 Diviner


Sounds like you need to get some treasure cards or learn how to pvp.

Here's a hint: Shields. They have lower health. You should easily beat them.

Defender
Jul 01, 2008
143
They have grandmaster players who make those "good" cards, trade them over to their novices, and hit the arena.

Also, it's unfair to be able to put level 48 pets through shared bank. There have been quite a lot of novices with colossus or wraith trailing behind. :\

Defender
Jul 18, 2009
160
Slushie3704 wrote:
They have grandmaster players who make those "good" cards, trade them over to their novices, and hit the arena.

Also, it's unfair to be able to put level 48 pets through shared bank. There have been quite a lot of novices with colossus or wraith trailing behind. :\


So it's "fair" for people to buy a card at store with similiar pets and do it?

They have low power pip chance so it will take them awhile to build up to use the attack and plus it makes it extremely predictable. Learn to shield and kill them with ease.

Survivor
Jun 09, 2009
27
If someone does not PVP until they are lvl 50 they will be private and have all the high level spells.

Explorer
May 12, 2009
53
Seriously, set lvl limits on treasure cards in the arena not out of arena just in it OK?

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
563
Penguin4ever wrote:
Woah! Now that is just unfair....

You probably worked really hard for that rank, and to loose it to a novice using treasure cards? Wow. I think that banning treasure cards in pvp might be the only solution! I really don't like it when I see a wizard using frost giant and fire dragon! it really bothers me!

Jennifer Angleweaver
level 48 thaumaturge


I agree with Jennifer AngleWeaver, it could be treasure cards. And I don't like frost giant or fire dragon being casted on me either. And I've seen novices with high level pets like a helephant and wraith

Caroline Sunbright
Master theurgist level 49

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
563
Slushie3704 wrote:
They have grandmaster players who make those "good" cards, trade them over to their novices, and hit the arena.

Also, it's unfair to be able to put level 48 pets through shared bank. There have been quite a lot of novices with colossus or wraith trailing behind. :\


The thing where you get cards and donate them to the novices, I do that too.

CarolineSunbright
Master theugist lvl 49

Survivor
May 26, 2009
49
why not hit them when they are saving up the seven pips to attack with a grand spell? they have much lower health so not as many buffs are needed, also try hitting them with their own medicine i use wild bolt on my balance and death guys, it gives an extra advantage if you can get it out

Explorer
Oct 12, 2009
75
treasure cards are TOTALLY FAIR. you have an ace in the hole like triton or stormzilla. unfortunatley they dont. its the only way for them to survive against higher lvls. but they cant have an unlimited amount like you can, can they? poor poor lower lvls Andrew dragonstalker, lvl 23 balance

Defender
Apr 27, 2009
127
i have big trouble understanding how you lost. after he used it after 7 pips. he has to regain those pips all over again. why couldnt you shield, heal, and attack in those critical 7 turns he was building up pips?

Survivor
Dec 18, 2008
14
sparkboy187 wrote:
treasure cards are TOTALLY FAIR. you have an ace in the hole like triton or stormzilla. unfortunatley they dont. its the only way for them to survive against higher lvls. but they cant have an unlimited amount like you can, can they? poor poor lower lvls Andrew dragonstalker, lvl 23 balance


-_- you just egged novice and journeymans to use treasure cards. saying poor poor poor poor lower levels when your BALANCE? balance has so many advantages and i really dont think its fair when balance uses powerful spells like judgement even though it can be shielded.

Explorer
Feb 09, 2009
58
qXiLL wrote:

Just for your information, we've tried taking it up with KI, they aren't recognizing how cheap it is I'm assuming. We who complain about wild bolt are those who get abused by it. Just because you use it constantly to win doesn't mean we're ok with that. We express our opinions, yours doesn't have any power over us so why must you try and demand us to stop "complaining" when you have no point but a bias one?

By the way, a noob is a rookie or in PvP terms, it's a person who lacks the skill and can't compete with the higher players.

Rank: 1618, and I still "complain" about wild bolt. I 1v1 most of the time.


Yeah but those people with treasure cards are showing that they CAN COMPETE. Not only are they competing they're winning against more powerful players who have access to all the same resources. So who here is the "noob". For those of us who have been gaming for years and years the "noobs" are the ones complaining on the forums.

By your own definition they're the ones showing they can't compete.


Delver
Dec 26, 2009
243
There is a bunch of words I have to say that helps.

1. BLADES!
2. TRAPS!
3. SHIELDS!

Everyone they must be casting things like Fireblade, Fire Trap so come on! Everyone quit crying! So what's the big deal? Maybe it's just that you're not so good so don't go around asking people if they used treasure cards! I have fought tough low levels too. One level 5 casted wild bolt on me and I didn't even have a third of my health left. Everyone! I think you should ban things like Judgement, Tempest, Wild Bolt and so on because they all can have major power!

Delver
Jul 30, 2009
254
nlhf1995 wrote:
i have big trouble understanding how you lost. after he used it after 7 pips. he has to regain those pips all over again. why couldnt you shield, heal, and attack in those critical 7 turns he was building up pips?


I was wondering that myself. Seems that the person complaining wasn't playing smartly themselves and is upset that they got outsmarted by a lower leveled player.


damionte wrote:
Yeah but those people with treasure cards are showing that they CAN COMPETE. Not only are they competing they're winning against more powerful players who have access to all the same resources. So who here is the "noob". For those of us who have been gaming for years and years the "noobs" are the ones complaining on the forums.

By your own definition they're the ones showing they can't compete.


I'd have to say they're sore losers myself...Obviously, although they're aware that other players use gold cards or bolt...They go into the game thinking that players won't. They don't plan ahead and have a strategy set up in order to face unknown factors they'll run into in-game.

Then because they aren't making workable strategies, they're laying the blame at the feet of those that are planning ahead, and crying 'foul' instead. Because their plan the whole time is 'I should be able to win most of the time because I'm so high level'...

Hate to see how they are at playing chess. Because half the best plays in chess is at the benefit of the pawn making the best moves.

There's an old saying. Nothing's fair in love and war.

Well, PVP is the 'war' aspect. That means when you enter the arena, you are there to win. And to win, you use any and all available resources you can get.

Gold cards and bolts is just that...Resources in the game intended to be used in order to win at battle. If you're one of those choosing not to use them, that's your business. But don't get bent out of shape because other players are smart enough to use the resources available to them and beat you with those resources.

You don't want to lose? Then either learn how to play in a manner that counters their type of play, or start using the resources that's just as available to you as it is to the person beating you with them.

But if you lose because of some mistaken idea that their play is 'unfair'? All you are is sore losers that aren't able to win unless games are dumbed down enough to the point that wins are just handed to you on a silver platter.

Games are supposed to be a challenge, especially the higher level you get. If getting whooped by a low level player, who's playing smarter, is too upsetting to you? Then perhaps you shouldn't be in the PVP arena in the first place.

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
563
AlicornsPrayer wrote:
nlhf1995 wrote:
i have big trouble understanding how you lost. after he used it after 7 pips. he has to regain those pips all over again. why couldnt you shield, heal, and attack in those critical 7 turns he was building up pips?


I was wondering that myself. Seems that the person complaining wasn't playing smartly themselves and is upset that they got outsmarted by a lower leveled player.


damionte wrote:
Yeah but those people with treasure cards are showing that they CAN COMPETE. Not only are they competing they're winning against more powerful players who have access to all the same resources. So who here is the "noob". For those of us who have been gaming for years and years the "noobs" are the ones complaining on the forums.

By your own definition they're the ones showing they can't compete.


I'd have to say they're sore losers myself...Obviously, although they're aware that other players use gold cards or bolt...They go into the game thinking that players won't. They don't plan ahead and have a strategy set up in order to face unknown factors they'll run into in-game.

Then because they aren't making workable strategies, they're laying the blame at the feet of those that are planning ahead, and crying 'foul' instead. Because their plan the whole time is 'I should be able to win most of the time because I'm so high level'...

Hate to see how they are at playing chess. Because half the best plays in chess is at the benefit of the pawn making the best moves.

There's an old saying. Nothing's fair in love and war.

Well, PVP is the 'war' aspect. That means when you enter the arena, you are there to win. And to win, you use any and all available resources you can get.

Gold cards and bolts is just that...Resources in the game intended to be used in order to win at battle. If you're one of those choosing not to use them, that's your business. But don't get bent out of shape because other players are smart enough to use the resources available to them and beat you with those resources.

You don't want to lose? Then either learn how to play in a manner that counters their type of play, or start using the resources that's just as available to you as it is to the person beating you with them.

But if you lose because of some mistaken idea that their play is 'unfair'? All you are is sore losers that aren't able to win unless games are dumbed down enough to the point that wins are just handed to you on a silver platter.

Games are supposed to be a challenge, especially the higher level you get. If getting whooped by a low level player, who's playing smarter, is too upsetting to you? Then perhaps you shouldn't be in the PVP arena in the first place.


I'm glad I don't complain on here anymore. (Sorry about "Doom and Gloom - needs to change!" and "Saying somebody doesn't pvp well?" I just got really angry about something related to those topics when I wrote them.

Caroline Sunbright
Grandmaster theurgist

Survivor
Mar 02, 2010
12
I've fought exactly two PVP matches. I won the first, against a Magus Fire Mage, when I was 25th level. I lost the second against a Journeyman Storm Mage.

The difference was that I got Treasure Carded by the Storm Mage.

I wasn't upset. I didn't use Treasure Cards during either battle, just solid tactics. The Fire Mage was impressed and congratulated me. The Storm Mage tried to belittle me.

Some players will do anything to win. If they want to buy up all of those Treasure Cards and use them for PVP, that's great. As long as they're having fun. I really enjoyed the match with the Fire Mage. I was pleasantly surprised when I got fried two rounds into the battle with the Storm Mage, until the player got insulting.

PVP is very different than doing quests. It's full of surprises.

But those surprises are generated by Treasure Cards, Wild Bolts and other random, high fizzle, high pip, high cost options. The people who lose post Unfair! and the people who win post Fair! I stay away from PVP but I still say Fair.

My vote is to leave things as they are. If winning means so much to you, get your hands on the Treasure Cards (make them yourself?) and use the enemies' tactics against them. When I decide to be a Warlord, that's what I'll do. You probably won't see me in the Arena any time soon because I don't like how PVP is set up but that's a different post I made over in the Dorms.

I hope you win but, more importantly, I hope you're a good sport, win or lose.


Survivor
Jun 26, 2009
40
Ok the people who are complaining about pvp complaining I just want to put in my 2 cents.
I didnt pvp much because i wanted to reach grand. When I reached grand I gave it a whirl. When I did try i ran into novices who bladed then bolted and it almost always worked. so in about 4 rounds I was dead. See with all these wild bolters and treasure it kinda losses the fun. There complaining cause this stuff happpens over and over again. It losses the fun because always losing kinda quickly without like a fun battle.

Luke Griffenspear Fire Level 50
Austin Stormbringer Level 29 Storm

Defender
Nov 25, 2009
160
9rjb wrote:
Ok the people who are complaining about pvp complaining I just want to put in my 2 cents.
I didnt pvp much because i wanted to reach grand. When I reached grand I gave it a whirl. When I did try i ran into novices who bladed then bolted and it almost always worked. so in about 4 rounds I was dead. See with all these wild bolters and treasure it kinda losses the fun. There complaining cause this stuff happpens over and over again. It losses the fun because always losing kinda quickly without like a fun battle.

Luke Griffenspear Fire Level 50
Austin Stormbringer Level 29 Storm


I'm sure it must be annoying to lose so much when you're a grandmaster.
However, instead of thinking of it as "loosing the fun" Try to use your defeat to your advantage. Keep trying diferent things till you find the cards that work best. Once you have found the best cards for diferent situations, you should be able to win. No problem!
And seeing how people would rather complain instead of pratice.... That would quickly move you up to one of the best pvp players. After all... if your the only one trying to learn how to win, how will they know how to counter your attacks? They wont try I bet....

Destiny Dragoncoin lvl 42 Balance/Ice

Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
835
Dont group all low levels together, i have a lvl 19 death that is close to warlord and has NEVER used a card higher than rank 4, and NO wildbolts were used, nor judgement. Maybe some are just better then you

Defender
Feb 15, 2010
139
you know it IS unfair but really think about it novices dont have alot of power so its like they have to use powerful stuff or grandmasters kill them in a hit with some dragon or wild bolt :?

Survivor
Jan 31, 2009
2
grandmasters should get mad at novices because you lost to a low level wow come on people grandmasters are the best in pvp NOT novices and i seen novices win but not vs a grandmaster like last i watched my friend in pvp ranked she is a novice but she never cheats so novice leave grandmasters alone they isnt cheating its you guys if you hav any questions meet me at the commons in wizard city in amborse

Explorer
Mar 03, 2009
63
nlhf1995 wrote:
i have big trouble understanding how you lost. after he used it after 7 pips. he has to regain those pips all over again. why couldnt you shield, heal, and attack in those critical 7 turns he was building up pips?
he didnt lose he just saw him use them

Survivor
Oct 11, 2009
21
garyboy11 wrote:
Just the other day I was watching my friend duel and a dude in the crowd asked to fight me. He was a novice. I took him on in practice and all of a sudden he's using fire dragon storm lord scarecrow and all these amazing spells.

It happened again in a ranked match and now I am only knight. This is outrageous! Something has to be done about treasure cards they are just unfair in the arena!

Dylan ShadowTallon Lvl44 Diviner
yes it is unfair but the reason is because the novises beg there good friends for the treasure for example if you are strong a noob might beg you to add them as a friend so you can tell your good friends and other people not to give good cards to noobs and we might be able to spread it around enough to get a lot of people to stop! :D

1