Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Help on PvP deck setup

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 21, 2011
I need a little help. I am a Transceded (lvl 70 in case i spelled that wrong)
Conjurer, and i want to know how to have a great pvp (1v1) deck. Right now i am a corperral (not spelled right), and i wish to get to a higher rank. Here is how my deck is set up so far...

The deck is Bundle of Ananse's Stories-
Max spells- 64
Max Copies- 6
Max Myth copies- 8
Sideboards- 30

I have these spells in it so far:

6 Colossals
6 Gargantuans
4 satyrs
5 basilisks
1 time of legend
6 medusas
4 orthrus
4 myth traps
5 myth blades
3 pierce
2 shatters
2 stuns (single)
5 convection spells
5 vengence spells
1 reshuffle
5 spirit blades

Does anyone have a good myth deck setup that they'd care to share?

Logan GhostWhisper~ Transceded Conjurer

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Your deck is very imbalanced and you have way too many sun spells. What kind of amulet do you use? what kind of gear do you have? Here is what I have been working with, I've been playing Myth for a very long time in arena, with some golden moments and some bad moments. This is what has been working pretty well so far:

4 towers, 2 volcanic shields, one ice shield, one ether shield, 3 Infallible aura, 3 fortify, 2 gargantuan (in your case 2 colossal)
4 weakness, 2 earthquake, 2 frog and a pet frog spell
3 myth blade, one spirit blade. One +40 myth blade from poetic chieftain helm, a wintertusk craft hat
Wrms bite Amulet for bladestorm +25 and a plague -25 to all(trust me, this amulet is brilliant for minion play)
2 talos, one troll minion, 3 minotaur, 1 medusa, 2 basilisk, 1 orthrus
3 pixie, 3 sprite.
4 time of legend
1 shatter
2 infection
1 reshuffle
1 cleanse ward
1 vaporize (myth dispel)

Treasure side board:
2 towers
1 earthquake
1 minotaur
1 ninja pig (in case minotaur cant reach deep enough for the kill and you're good at counting the damage from your strikes)
2 black mantle
1 triage (or 3 if you can find them easy enough)
1 sprite

I highly suggest you craft the Stellar signet from celestia for this set up since you wont be using the life mastery amulet.
Also, try to get your pet frog with spell proof and pain giver to make up for some lost attack boost. But your infallible aura, which can be very powerful for spells like orthrus and minotaur and basilisk, cuts away 15% of your opponents resist for 4 turns, It's very deadly and very useful.. It definitely makes up for the loss of 6 points attack boost.

With this set up you should have a heal around 55% or more so your pixies will heal for 608 or around that if you decide to use the tricksy helm instead of the poetic chieftain.
You better have the waterworks set up though. No resist, no survivability.

Honestly though, it's much more difficult to defend against your opponent now than it was just a year ago. :/ We myth keep getting stuns while other schools get great defensive things like -90 weakness or super high health. We're stuck in the middle and earth can't stop an enchanted strike. You better grab spritely when you can. You're gonna want the free heals and the large heal boost to make up for our middle ground. We keep getting stuns, but stun blocks can really ruin that.

You gotta balance your attacks with your defenses. Havnig 10+ enchant spells will often leave you stuck discarding power boosts looking for defensive spells and attacks.

Try to build up your pips fast before hitting. If you hit too early with myth you can have some problems later on. This may not be best for you but for me, I do best when I can drag my opponent into a longer fight. And medusa is great for buying you two rounds if needed.

This deck covers most areas and as a result, does not specialize in anything, this can be a problem for some people, I prefer to keep things middle ground and it works pretty good for me. I'm great at making up for what goes missing in my main deck which you can probably guess....

I suggest the quagga wand. It gives you two dispel strikes against death, and if you can erase a skeletal dragon, your good to go. Practice timing with this deck, give it a shot if you can. It's crazy looking though, I know. Once you know who you are facing, feel free to discard from your hand whats necessary.

Don't ever count out minotaur. I cant even begin to count how many times he has been the finisher spell in a match aganist someone who tries to shield once with just 700 health. Just pull up a bull and watch it smack the defenses away. It's a great finisher and is cheaper to cast than orthrus. Don't ever count out the minotaur if you can handle it.

Survivor
Jan 21, 2011
Your deck is very imbalanced and you have way too many sun spells. What kind of amulet do you use? what kind of gear do you have? Here is what I have been working with, I've been playing Myth for a very long time in arena, with some golden moments and some bad moments.

Thanks for the help. :P My gear, as of the moment, is the myth lvl 60 gear from the waterworks (i.e. Tricksy Hood, Cape, Boots). My pet right now is an Epic Yuletide Spirit with May Cast sprite and unicorn, +90 mana, and +5 attack. The amulet I use is the Witch's Star Amulet, gives one balanceblade (+30%) and Hex (+35%). The schools I study in are Myth (primary), Death (secondary), and life up to satyr. I don't have any shields for fire, ice, and storm atm.

Hope this info helps a little more. :-)

Survivor
Jan 21, 2011
Oh and I forgot to add in my last post that I already used up all my training points. Is is probably a good idea to buy them back and start again (like get ice's tower shield, balance's weakness, and such)?

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Good you have your waterworks gear.
Yes you should redo your training points for the shields. No PvP player should be without any sort of shield! And remember that Tower shield is the most important shield in the arena because it is the only defense against the balance element, and since it is a universal shield it can act as extra defense against any attack. So I may have only 2 volcanic shields and one ether shield in my deck, but those other towers act as defenses to those schools as well. Read that part carefully though, I'm not suggesting stacking the towers, meaning a tower over volcanic shield when facing a fire or storm. Stretch out your defenses, you don't want to lose two shields in one strike,

Why not defend yourself while building pips at the same time? You gotta have your shields.

Weakness is great when topped with fortify to soften damage over time attacks. But remember the wyrms bite amulet I mentioned? Well, that -25 plague also will stack with the weakness for even greater safety against a damage over time attack. And since so many people make use of them now, you gotta have those specific charms to defend yourself. so get that weakness! It's also a great security spell to defend your minion if you use one in case your opponent uses a hit all spell.

Please note that the deck set up above is just a guide and not my full solid set up. it's designed to show you how flexible you can be. I have used that deck before though and it has had its good moments against higher level players.

However you do it, these are the questions you should start asking yourself if you do redo your training points and try my deck:

"How many pips will I have after this attack/heal?"
"How many pips does my opponent have?"
"Why is my opponent taking long to strike, is the opponent fishing for something?"
"Can I afford to cast a minion now?"
"Should I discard this spell to move my hand along or wait?"
"How many blades does my opponent have activated?"
"How many attacks/heals/shields do I have left?"
"What is my attack range given my opponents resist? Can I afford to strike plain or do I need to build to overcome their defenses?"

With practice these questions will come to you quicker and you will be able to answer them with ease. Just be sure to keep counting. Of course though, the answer to some of those questions may not always be one you like.

That's all I can really say to help. Oh make sure your block rating is above 90.

Now go shake the arena.

Survivor
Jan 21, 2011
Thanks for the help! So, you are suggesting to get the wyrm's bite amulet? Got it.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
darkfire4558 wrote:
Thanks for the help! So, you are suggesting to get the wyrm's bite amulet? Got it.

For this set up, yes the wyrms bite amulet is great. Once you find a certain way you want to go with this set up, then you can use the amulet that will fit your personalized style best. But yes, try the wyrms bite amulet for this my style. Take it for 5 practice matches or so and let me know how it works for you, or if you think there is something that could be better about it, I'm open to different ideas. I'm open to considerations from most people. I wont discriminate against experience level too harshly for deck discussion here.

Let me know how this plays out for you in the future.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Actually, there is one very important rule I must get out there to you:
Do not rush

Remember the list of questions above. The last question is about figuring out your range of damage done with your spells and counting where you fall with your attacks. This is an especially important question to keep in your head.

I've been making absolutely awful mistakes tonight, and it is because of that one question. I've rushed into the finish and it has cost me two matches.

If you are going second and you bring your opponent down to their last 400-600 points of health, and you have a time of legend up, and you have a humungofrog, do not immediately cast humungofrog. Since you are going second there is a chance that your opponent will heal and you will be caught empty with nothing to answer back, forced to build up again while your opponent might have some pips left over to get offensive.
If you have a higher attack, like minotaur waiting just one turn away, then cast a myth blade if available, then hit with minotaur. This will not only keep you up to speed with the opponent, you will be secure with enough pips to continue on however you have to, say if your opponents decides to hit and its a big one, you can heal it with the pips you did not spend attacking, etc.

The same goes even if you are going first. If you are the one really low on health, even if you put up a weakness over your opponent, you never know if the next strike will be enchanted so your resistance will break in this scenario Don't do what I did recently, I knew talos was going to end the fight, I already had a weakness over my opponent, I could have used a pixie and waited, even though I would have been empty on pips. I was hit for just 30 points over my remaining health, ending the match in a draw after Talos picked up on my opponent.

I can't stress this one thing enough,

Don't rush to the finish!

I can't believe I fail to follow my own advice and it's costing me. Bleh. Well maybe you can do better with it.

Survivor
Jan 21, 2011
Let me know how this plays out for you in the future.

Taking your advice under my consideration, here is my new deck...

Still Bundle of Ananse's Stories

2 stun block
5 tower shields
2 volcanic shields
3 gargantuans
3 colossal
2 pixies
2 satyrs
3 basilisk
2 time of legend
2 ether shields
3 medusas
2 talos
2 minotaur
3 mythtrap
4 mythblade
2 orthrus
2 pierce
1 shatter
1 stun (single)
2 convections
2 fortify
2 infallible
2 vengence
3 infections
1 reshuffle
3 spirit blades
3 weaknesses

So far, with this new deck, and in practice 1v1, I had a streak of 6w & 0L, one of which was a warlord. and this deck is a lot better. I find myself using spells now while waiting for pips, instead of passing every time.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
I'm...I'm stunned :p

Ok, just a few questions, I'm not picking on you or anything, I would love to read on your choices for your set up. Let's compare:

1: Why do you have all those myth traps? You can use your talos for traps and troll traps a lot as well. Not to mention, time of legend is myth's forever trap. It boosts all your hits by 25% and of course it helps boost the minions hits as well.

2: I still think you can cut the enchants by half to three enchants. Why six of them when you have a bunch blades?

3: How do you do without earthquake in your deck? Aren't you concerned about an opponent stacking blades? Earth may not stop an enchant but it is useful for preventing your enemies climbing bonus on a big hit.

4: Why no frogs? Your enemies might try to summon minions too, and doubling up on frogs with talos is just awesome :p

It's great to see your new deck working out for you, but I'd love to know your responses to those questions. I will post my new solid set up after for comparison.

Survivor
Jan 21, 2011
1. I love to stack on the wards and charms lol. Lets say I don't have a shield to put on. Than I'll use a myth trap/blade while i'm waiting.

2. This mostly goes along with the next question. I like doing attacks that do massive damage that blow away the enemy. This way, as in question 3., they have little or no time to blade, and they have to resort to using their pips for healing. :P

3. This is why I have so many sun spells. It gives them hardly enough time to stack charms. Plus I do shield quite often now, so I have little worries about massive damage being rained down upon me (stuns are different though xd).

4. Normally, I just forget about the minion. If you kill the wizard, than the minion will die too :P But if they do have a minion, (none of them usually have above 500 hp. anyway) and if my talos decides to frog, than i'll try to blade talos. (*hint* that is why I have so many blades)

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
darkfire4558 wrote:
1. I love to stack on the wards and charms lol. Lets say I don't have a shield to put on. Than I'll use a myth trap/blade while i'm waiting.

2. This mostly goes along with the next question. I like doing attacks that do massive damage that blow away the enemy. This way, as in question 3., they have little or no time to blade, and they have to resort to using their pips for healing. :-P

3. This is why I have so many sun spells. It gives them hardly enough time to stack charms. Plus I do shield quite often now, so I have little worries about massive damage being rained down upon me (stuns are different though xd).

4. Normally, I just forget about the minion. If you kill the wizard, than the minion will die too :-P But if they do have a minion, (none of them usually have above 500 hp. anyway) and if my talos decides to frog, than i'll try to blade talos. (*hint* that is why I have so many blades)

Interesting, is it still going good so far? This is what I'm doing now actually, this is my solid set up and my strategy for it:

4 towers
3 legend shield (death and myth)
3 volcanic (fire storm)
4 weakness
3 fortify
3 infallible (who needs critical when you can dampen their resist?)
4 Time of Legend
2 talos and one minotaur minion
4 pixie 3 sprite
1 shatter
3 minotaur, one orthrus
3 basilisk 2 medusa
2 frog 3 earth
3 infection
3 myth blade
2 spirit blade
1 reshuffle
2 cleanse ward
Wyrms bite amulet
quagga blade

Treasires: 2 tower 2 black mantle 1 time of legend, one sprite one satyr, one ninja pig, one earth one minotaur one triage

Strategy:
I don't like getting caught by an opponent who does nothing but stack blades, so I try to keep earth close to me when possible. If I have basilisk in hand I will try to build up power for that. If I have to hold off on basilisk because of either too much offense from my opponent, I try to weather the rounds of damage with any protection I can get and hold off for either a shatter or my double strikes.
I carry three minotaurs because he is what I call a quick access attack. he is medium pip cost for me and rushes through shields dealing decent damage. As I mentioned before, he is usually my finisher/pick up spell and is probably my most flexible tool offensively. Since earth has the problem of ruining infections and the like, I hold off on weakness if opponent is blading to earth them off.

Offensively, I try to shoot for basilisk if its around, but because of the pip cost, I play around without it since I have more than one way to break down my opponent with my set up. Medusa will provide me two rounds, orthrus will knock them back hard, talos can add some pressure, etc.

My pet doesn't have spritely so I carry three sprites, in case I'm fighting a damage over time spammer, I sprite over them and follow up on the bigger more threatening DOT's with a 700 heal pixie. Two if needed.

The only criticism I will have for your deck would be that you still have more firepower than you need. I mean, it only takes one basilisk with one myth blade, a gargantuan and time of legend to hit for 2000 damage against anyone with 30-35% resist.

The reason for my wyrms bite amulet is so that I don't have to blade talos. He blades himself and when I use the bladestorm, I'm not only blading him but I'm stacking up on a blade for myself. So it's ok to remove a spirit blade, lets say. You have enough firepower in your own deck to defeat a 50% resist ice almost 3 times over!

If anything, I highly suggest you carry earth as a treasure for quick emergency access if you are 100% comfortable with your set up. You may shield a lot with your main deck now, but even so, with a deck as large as yours those shields can be tricky to dig up in some fights. And there is nothing more terrifying than looking at an opponent with stacked blades ready to unload and you don't have anything to push them back. Medusa can stun them, but they will still have those blades. Anyway, good to see it's working out as you claim.

Oh in regards to fire, always try to keep a wand spell in hand in preparation for an efreet strike. And always always put up spirit blade AFTER your single blade charms. This way, storm cant disarm your blade, they will hit the life one, fire cant steal your blade, they will steal the life blade. And if hit by leviathan, you will only lose one useful blade for you.
Carry a myth dispel for those who carry the myth mastery amulet (The blue orb that floats around the opponent) this way you can silence their earth. You're the myth, let them know who controls the rocks around here!

Go, and be extravagantly victorious :p

Survivor
Jan 21, 2011
Thanks for the help. Oh and btw, Just thought it place this out, since you were talking about my firepower, in a 1v1, my most powerfull hit is a medusa that struck 14,000 damage (they blocked the critical otherwise it would have been 28,000).

Everyone has their own oppinion for their deck. Like i probably could not survive with yours mearly because i dont understand your deck all too well. And probably just as you most likely dont understand my deck.

Survivor
Jun 09, 2010
Most players have some way of healing or defending like tower or life mastery amulet, so you'll prob. need to stop them if you want to win, first things first shield yourself a few times, then time of legend ( btw you need more in deck). dont try and blade. next is to just shield and conviction and maybe a pierce untill you have all or at least mostly power pips next you either gargantuan orthrus,minotaur or basalisk (i suggest minotaur for low pip cost) to take away shields, (wait a round if you used basalisk) then medusa for high damage and stun, after that either blade and gargantuan cyclopes or gargantuan troll, which will kill most wizards except for maybe ice. here is the deck setup that strategy works with

3 myth blades
4 time of legends
6 gargantuans
2 pierce
4 orthrus
5 minotaur
3 trolls
3 cyclopes
4 satyr
2 shatters
2 reshuffle
2 pixie or fairy for life students
6 convictions
2 vengeance
1 spirit blade
and this IS for 1v1 in case you thought it wasn't because of basalisk

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
darkfire4558 wrote:
I need a little help. I am a Transceded (lvl 70 in case i spelled that wrong)
Conjurer, and i want to know how to have a great pvp (1v1) deck. Right now i am a corperral (not spelled right), and i wish to get to a higher rank. Here is how my deck is set up so far...

The deck is Bundle of Ananse's Stories-
Max spells- 64
Max Copies- 6
Max Myth copies- 8
Sideboards- 30

I have these spells in it so far:

6 Colossals
6 Gargantuans
4 satyrs
5 basilisks
1 time of legend
6 medusas
4 orthrus
4 myth traps
5 myth blades
3 pierce
2 shatters
2 stuns (single)
5 convection spells
5 vengence spells
1 reshuffle
5 spirit blades

Does anyone have a good myth deck setup that they'd care to share?

Even as a Storm, I think that you'll do fine with just Colossals for enchantments. I'd also add a second Time of Legend, it's bad news if your opponent casts another bubble that you can't change.