Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

handicap the weak?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 16, 2009
have you ever known a situation where the stronger player is set up to win? that is what has happened to W101 pvp. the ones with a lower level have been handicapped and it is backwards to handicap a weaker player.
first because of spells only available to high level players. like polymorph, gargantuan, critical and bubble spells. second because their healing gear is many times stronger. and third because if you lose to one of these players you will lose a ton of points if they have lowered their rank on purpose. there is no way to gain and keep rank when level 60 players have the rank of private. wish the game makers would do something to keep people from losing so many points against people who have much stronger spells. it really does not make sense.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
It often feels like the same issues keep popping up over and over...

How you use your spells matters more than the level of your wizard. I've defeated a few wizards well over ten levels higher than me.

But now more than ever it does feel like gear does play an important role, but still not as important as your opponents decisions. Though it cannot be denied that after level 50, there is a dramatic change in style and in the power of each class given that just about every gear, save for ice gives an attack boost above 40%, With storm being given the largest increase, almost like a "permanent feint" to their attacks.

But there is no such thing as one wizard being "set up to win". It's all about choices.

Mastermind
Dec 21, 2009
CorbinW wrote:
It often feels like the same issues keep popping up over and over...

How you use your spells matters more than the level of your wizard. I've defeated a few wizards well over ten levels higher than me.

But now more than ever it does feel like gear does play an important role, but still not as important as your opponents decisions. Though it cannot be denied that after level 50, there is a dramatic change in style and in the power of each class given that just about every gear, save for ice gives an attack boost above 40%, With storm being given the largest increase, almost like a "permanent feint" to their attacks.

But there is no such thing as one wizard being "set up to win". It's all about choices.

I agree. How you use your spells is far more important. At level 46 I could beat some legendaries, but I am a Legendary now and it can go the same way, with me being beaten. A smart player is better than a strong player.

Survivor
May 16, 2009
so basically you feel that a person using the same spells as you use, who can hit or heal much much bigger, is not a disadvantage to the people who can not. have you seen a critical spritely with a cosmic kris and stellar signet? or a critical vampire with gargantuan compared to a non-critical vampire without gargantuan? i realize people don't like anyone to critisize the game in any way but this is a handicap against a lower level player. even if you get a good hit in all they have to do is morph into a tree. if you are the same school and can resist their hits they can morph into another school. quite the advantage in my opinion. the backward handicap is real whether people want to admit it or not. sort of like giving Sea Biscuit a half track lead against a good mule. ;)

Survivor
Dec 10, 2009
MysticalKrystal wrote:
so basically you feel that a person using the same spells as you use, who can hit or heal much much bigger, is not a disadvantage to the people who can not. have you seen a critical spritely with a cosmic kris and stellar signet? or a critical vampire with gargantuan compared to a non-critical vampire without gargantuan? i realize people don't like anyone to critisize the game in any way but this is a handicap against a lower level player. even if you get a good hit in all they have to do is morph into a tree. if you are the same school and can resist their hits they can morph into another school. quite the advantage in my opinion. the backward handicap is real whether people want to admit it or not. sort of like giving Sea Biscuit a half track lead against a good mule.

I feel like the match-up system is not very fair. I recently got a membership, and was looking forward to Ranked PvP. However, both times I was pitted up against grandmasters. The way that you are sorted is indeed a handicap.

I think that there should be not only a rank sorting, but a level sort too. You can't be put up against grandmasters if you're only an adept, like I am. Put a sorter: you can choose the levels that you want to go up against. Yeah, it's more work, but I think that is a lot more fair.