Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hammer of Thor Buff!

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Are we gonna just sit here and pretend that the design behind this spell isn't a clear message that once again fire is better than storm? before anyone gets bias about with their comments here me out.

Burning rampage 5 pip cost. Does 70+770 damage over 2 rounds (220+850) with epic enchant.While Catalan with similar pip cost does 700 damage flat with a -25% mantle. (1000) with epic enchant. Now playing the scene that both players were lets say, in a first position type scenario with both boasting 135% base damage. If the opponent set shield (-70%) ,storm would have to cast a wand hit of the same type or a 2 pip cost spell before initially going for a wide open Catalan costing them not only a turn but also allowing the opponent to react by placing another shield or going for a wide open counter attack.This would mean catalan would be taking into deduction if used on a shielded opponent. Mean while, burning rampage not only gets rid of the opponent First shield but also forces the opponent by surprise in 2 scenarios. For example their not only going to lose 2 shields for the price of one spell, because of the first initial impact of the 220 damage removing the first, but also the fact that fire can combo into a fire elf or fire beetle specifically leaving 3 traps which would essentially boots the 850 damage into a wide open (2000)+ damage considering the 135% boost of their stats and 35% boost of the traps. This not only render it more effective than Catalan but also prove my first point within the damage utility concept area between and now on to the next.

For the other 2 there is not much very in depth details is needed to compare the 2, which is Brimstone Revenant and Queen calypso. Both cost 4 pips.While brimstone does 470 damage (770) with epic enchant and (1810+)(boosted by stats) leaving a 25% fire trap later(arguably better imo), Calypso deals 20%+ 445-505 damage (996) max boosted with epic enchant and (2340+)(boosted by stats) leaves a 20% windstorm towards all other enemies. In damage comparison between these 2 spells the respect has been giving to the storm as the damage dealer while fire remains the combo setter as they should be.

As for the other 2 namely Catch of the day and Hephaestus both cost 5 pips. Catch of the day does 550-600 damage (900) with epic enchant (2115+)(boosted by stats) with a mini enfeeble effect that destroys the 2 most recent blades. Meanwhile Hephaestus does 425-475 (775) with epic enchant and (1821+)(Boosted by stat) that leaves a +25% global bubble spell for further increase damage on future spell potentially pushing there 135% damage to 160% boost on all outgoing damage spells until the global spell is replace by another. In this scenario both spells are situational spells and are considered balanced for the pip cost except for the outgoing boost towards them its a bit overpowered.

Now i see alot of people comparing Hammer of Thor to Winter Moon to make sure K I gets the message, that even Winter Moon an Ice spell does more damage and have a better effect (stun) than a cleanse charm spell but that is the first mistake were making. We shouldn't be comparing this spell with ice because first thing first by right this spell should of cost 4 pips and not 5 second it should of been compared to fire other spell Krampus why? because these 2 schools are damage schools and relatable arch nemesis. So by taking this into account if Krampus does 305-345 damage (645) with epic enchant and (1516+)(Boosted by stat) Then i wouldn't really have a big issue keeping hammer of Thor base damage at 475 base but would really consider the pip cost value to drop to 4 pips instead of 5 this would not only make it fair for storm for their lack of damage overtime but would prevent any other schools to reduce its damage for the low health it has in exchange. Who ever is behind designing new spells, for future reference pay attention to the max level stats and attributes and take that into account before referring to the balancing table.

Delver
Mar 09, 2018
angellifeheart on Aug 19, 2019 wrote:
Are we gonna just sit here and pretend that the design behind this spell isn't a clear message that once again fire is better than storm? before anyone gets bias about with their comments here me out.

Burning rampage 5 pip cost. Does 70+770 damage over 2 rounds (220+850) with epic enchant.While Catalan with similar pip cost does 700 damage flat with a -25% mantle. (1000) with epic enchant. Now playing the scene that both players were lets say, in a first position type scenario with both boasting 135% base damage. If the opponent set shield (-70%) ,storm would have to cast a wand hit of the same type or a 2 pip cost spell before initially going for a wide open Catalan costing them not only a turn but also allowing the opponent to react by placing another shield or going for a wide open counter attack.This would mean catalan would be taking into deduction if used on a shielded opponent. Mean while, burning rampage not only gets rid of the opponent First shield but also forces the opponent by surprise in 2 scenarios. For example their not only going to lose 2 shields for the price of one spell, because of the first initial impact of the 220 damage removing the first, but also the fact that fire can combo into a fire elf or fire beetle specifically leaving 3 traps which would essentially boots the 850 damage into a wide open (2000)+ damage considering the 135% boost of their stats and 35% boost of the traps. This not only render it more effective than Catalan but also prove my first point within the damage utility concept area between and now on to the next.

For the other 2 there is not much very in depth details is needed to compare the 2, which is Brimstone Revenant and Queen calypso. Both cost 4 pips.While brimstone does 470 damage (770) with epic enchant and (1810+)(boosted by stats) leaving a 25% fire trap later(arguably better imo), Calypso deals 20%+ 445-505 damage (996) max boosted with epic enchant and (2340+)(boosted by stats) leaves a 20% windstorm towards all other enemies. In damage comparison between these 2 spells the respect has been giving to the storm as the damage dealer while fire remains the combo setter as they should be.

As for the other 2 namely Catch of the day and Hephaestus both cost 5 pips. Catch of the day does 550-600 damage (900) with epic enchant (2115+)(boosted by stats) with a mini enfeeble effect that destroys the 2 most recent blades. Meanwhile Hephaestus does 425-475 (775) with epic enchant and (1821+)(Boosted by stat) that leaves a +25% global bubble spell for further increase damage on future spell potentially pushing there 135% damage to 160% boost on all outgoing damage spells until the global spell is replace by another. In this scenario both spells are situational spells and are considered balanced for the pip cost except for the outgoing boost towards them its a bit overpowered.

Now i see alot of people comparing Hammer of Thor to Winter Moon to make sure K I gets the message, that even Winter Moon an Ice spell does more damage and have a better effect (stun) than a cleanse charm spell but that is the first mistake were making. We shouldn't be comparing this spell with ice because first thing first by right this spell should of cost 4 pips and not 5 second it should of been compared to fire other spell Krampus why? because these 2 schools are damage schools and relatable arch nemesis. So by taking this into account if Krampus does 305-345 damage (645) with epic enchant and (1516+)(Boosted by stat) Then i wouldn't really have a big issue keeping hammer of Thor base damage at 475 base but would really consider the pip cost value to drop to 4 pips instead of 5 this would not only make it fair for storm for their lack of damage overtime but would prevent any other schools to reduce its damage for the low health it has in exchange. Who ever is behind designing new spells, for future reference pay attention to the max level stats and attributes and take that into account before referring to the balancing table.
While I agree that Thor could use a slight damage upgrade, it's also currently the hardest counter to lore/weakness/efreet/etc. The effect it has seriously does the job, especially at grandmaster-archmage.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
JewelKI on Aug 20, 2019 wrote:
While I agree that Thor could use a slight damage upgrade, it's also currently the hardest counter to lore/weakness/efreet/etc. The effect it has seriously does the job, especially at grandmaster-archmage.
No I don't think it needs a damage upgrade, it needs a pip cost downgrade. Saying its a hard counter to Efreet and lore master is an understatement and ill tell you why. See for sometime i have been noticing a pattern with the storm school. To compensate for its already low health storm was giving the ability to surpass every school it damage stats. For example a storm with 130% damage is considered its own base stats plus a storm free blade, so with that in consideration some of its high damage low pip cost spells like wild bolt are place into rng mode. Another pattern i saw is the ideology of making storm a brute force one shot component, that is able to dish out damage as fast as possible before the opponent even gets a chance to retaliate. But here is the main problem am seeing with max PVP specifically. Every school except life, are able to attain 130%+ damage without having to sacrifice most of their resistance, through pay to win gears and advance pet stats. When this became a thing now everyone is doing storm damage at max pvp especially balance and ice, who relies on global spells to deal advance amount of damage on combo set ups, while balance retains to lore master spamming. I think this is one of the main big issue about max pvp. Too many Schools are doing 2k+ damage with low level spells and 3-5k plus with high damage spell which isnt right esp when their up against a storm who has only 5k health to begin with. So with all that taking into account who deserves more attention in nerfs? the school that has the lowest health and is suppose to do the highest damage *cough* *cough*() or schools who have high solid base health and resistance heck even pierce now with storm damage. Just remember an ice with 105% base damage 65% universal resist and 31% pierce can attain 140% damage with just one global spell. Oh and did i mention every school has access to shrike? that also gives them 10% free damage? k.