Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Good strategies, gear, and level?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 07, 2017
I'm planning on doing pvp soon, though i have no experience with this or ideas of how to do this. I just need some basic help from some pvp players. I have many questions; so be prepared. Also, recommendations for gear etc are helpful!

For my level, 42, would i match up with a lvl 56 for example? Are there any good gear i should use for my level? How should i set up my deck? Any good TC, Spells? Should i start with practice pvp first? Are there any recommended levels i should start pvp with? (I have lower leveled characters, or i can create a new character.)

How does pvp work? If i lose, does anything happen? What about if i win? What does 'ranking down' mean? What strategy should i go for? I don't use strategies in combat, and i know its bad but i don't. Thanks!

Julia Goldheart, Level 42

Survivor
Dec 30, 2009
rosemerrie on May 15, 2017 wrote:
I'm planning on doing pvp soon, though i have no experience with this or ideas of how to do this. I just need some basic help from some pvp players. I have many questions; so be prepared. Also, recommendations for gear etc are helpful!

For my level, 42, would i match up with a lvl 56 for example? Are there any good gear i should use for my level? How should i set up my deck? Any good TC, Spells? Should i start with practice pvp first? Are there any recommended levels i should start pvp with? (I have lower leveled characters, or i can create a new character.)

How does pvp work? If i lose, does anything happen? What about if i win? What does 'ranking down' mean? What strategy should i go for? I don't use strategies in combat, and i know its bad but i don't. Thanks!

Julia Goldheart, Level 42
Yes, you can get matched up against a level 56 if you get higher rank. But in the beginning, you'll be matched up against lower level warlords. They have experience and you don't. So that can be frustrating. Try practice PvP and tournaments, but they won't be like ranked.

The tournaments will give you tickets, even if you are in 9th place. Use the tickets to buy Duelist gear. If not you can use Magus Zeus gear or Crown gear to get started.

If you lose, you lose rank. If you win, you get points for rank and a couple arena tickets. The higher your rank, the more arena tickets. "ranking down" is a way of exploiting the matchmaking system by keeping all your Commander/Warlord gear and using them at a lower rank. If you rank down, you are trying to get "easy matches" making it harder for people who are starting out to rank up. A new player wouldn't normally get these people but since they ranked down by purposelessly losing matches, their rank number is inaccurate. In the past, people did it so that they could accumulate tickets. But nowadays, you can get 1000 more tickets by doing tournaments. So, the only reason people would rank down today is for "boosting" their other characters' rank or because they want "Easy matches"

The strategies depend on school and level. Look on YouTube.

Survivor
Sep 19, 2009
If I were you I'd wait and start PvP at level 50, It's one of the more popular levels to start and in my opinion still one of the most down to earth types of PvP, as you really won't see tons of juju spammers or guardian spirit users, etc. If you do start PvP at your current level, make sure you go in with the right gear, I agree with DylanLionEyes gear suggestions, Magus Zeus gear can get you through to captain, then I'd buy captain gear, because without it it'll be hard to keep going.
As for deck set up and strategies, chose a play style that'll work for you, if you fight more offensively, PvP that way, if you fight more conservatively, PvP defensively, If you don't exactly know your dueling tendencies, experiment! Duelist101 is a great place to find ideas for decks, play styles, etc. Also, watching other Warlords that are around your level is a fantastic way to learn other players strategies and play styles, this will help you to better predict your opponents spells, and give you insight on how you should use yours.
RANKED PvP DO'S
  • Always have a strategy
  • Always include key PvP cards in your spell deck (Tower Shield, Weakness, Reshuffle, Infection, etc.)
  • Say "Good Match" or "gg" after every battle, even if the other player was an idiot
  • Have experience even if it is just in the practice arena
  • Make sure your Treasure Cards in your side deck are fully stocked every match
RANKED PvP DON'TS
  • Never go in with a questing deck!!!
  • Don't call someone a noob after beating them, everyone has to start somewhere
  • Don't go back into the arena after losing a heated match, if you're mad, take a break before coming back, its not fun for anyone to lose, but don't make it worse by going back in guns blazing
  • Don't boost to gain rank, it's stupid and unfair to those who of us working for our ranks
  • Don't give up! If you lose the first couple of matches, or feel like your just not getting it, keep trying! winning comes with experience, just keep at it and you'll get it!
Best of luck!