Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Frustrating PvP

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 10, 2010
Dear The Professors,

I am directing this message to you guys at KI because I know you're the only people who could do anything about this. Me and a lot of other players including many of my virtual friends in w101 have noticed a severe problem with the w101 pvp system. I know you've probably got things like this many times before, but he it comes again. Almost every time i join a pvp match with my level 35 storm wizard (a private), I get paired up with warlords, captains, commanders, and everything else besides privates. While their levels are about 11-20 or so, i am beaten every time because of pvp gear, crowns gear, mega pets, amulets, treasure cards and other common things you see many hardcore pvpers having. This is frustrating to me because 1) I have no chance to get to a higher rank if i don't use those things and when i'm getting paired with higher ranks and 2) It's rather unfair to everyone on w101 who wants to get a firm foothold in pvp because every time you are beaten, your rank goes down more and more and more. My storm character (however humiliating to admit) currently has a pvp rank of 300 something. What i'm really trying to say here is that you need to change the system. Pair privates with privates within a 5 level range of each other and warlords with warlord within a 5 level range of each other. I really appreciate you reading this excessively long message and i really hope you take into consideration how frustrating it is for us to try to do pvp these days. Even if you don't implement anything into the game like i am suggesting, i would really like an explanation for the reason you disregard everyone's comments about this. You are usually very open to suggestions from players, so i hope you take this seriously.
Thank you,

Flint Nightbreaker- 94 Pyromancer
Angus Darkthorn-52 Necromancer
Finnigan ( The star of my pvp adventure)-35 diviner

Defender
Apr 17, 2009
There's a practice PvP scroll for a reason, I recommend you use it, as for their gear they either bought/earned it, and you are higher level after all so it is a fair ranked match, despite the ranked themselves, and if they have gear and such above yours, get it yourself, practice makes perfect, remember that.
Level 95Miguel (Warlord)

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
dragon of platypi on Dec 5, 2013 wrote:
Dear The Professors,

I am directing this message to you guys at KI because I know you're the only people who could do anything about this. Me and a lot of other players including many of my virtual friends in w101 have noticed a severe problem with the w101 pvp system. I know you've probably got things like this many times before, but he it comes again. Almost every time i join a pvp match with my level 35 storm wizard (a private), I get paired up with warlords, captains, commanders, and everything else besides privates. While their levels are about 11-20 or so, i am beaten every time because of pvp gear, crowns gear, mega pets, amulets, treasure cards and other common things you see many hardcore pvpers having. This is frustrating to me because 1) I have no chance to get to a higher rank if i don't use those things and when i'm getting paired with higher ranks and 2) It's rather unfair to everyone on w101 who wants to get a firm foothold in pvp because every time you are beaten, your rank goes down more and more and more. My storm character (however humiliating to admit) currently has a pvp rank of 300 something. What i'm really trying to say here is that you need to change the system. Pair privates with privates within a 5 level range of each other and warlords with warlord within a 5 level range of each other. I really appreciate you reading this excessively long message and i really hope you take into consideration how frustrating it is for us to try to do pvp these days. Even if you don't implement anything into the game like i am suggesting, i would really like an explanation for the reason you disregard everyone's comments about this. You are usually very open to suggestions from players, so i hope you take this seriously.
Thank you,

So, basically you're saying that my balance should never get a match again on my balance? There are very few people around my rank within 5 levels of me. I am currently at 1990 rank, level 34, and if this happened, it could take days for me to get a match. I hope that this is never implemented.

Survivor
Jun 10, 2010
MiguelThefirst on Dec 5, 2013 wrote:
There's a practice PvP scroll for a reason, I recommend you use it, as for their gear they either bought/earned it, and you are higher level after all so it is a fair ranked match, despite the ranked themselves, and if they have gear and such above yours, get it yourself, practice makes perfect, remember that.
Level 95Miguel (Warlord)
Thank you for commenting, but it's hard to take advice like this from a warlord when the message is slightly against the way they set warlords up against lower ranks, so you'd probably be all over that. Also, if you read the messgae carefully, it isn't my fire wizard that i'm using for pvp, it's my level 35 wizard.

Survivor
Jun 10, 2010
Aaron SpellThief on Dec 6, 2013 wrote:
So, basically you're saying that my balance should never get a match again on my balance? There are very few people around my rank within 5 levels of me. I am currently at 1990 rank, level 34, and if this happened, it could take days for me to get a match. I hope that this is never implemented.
Maybe i did not say this well, but after warlord, it only matters what level you are, bot the rank.

Survivor
Jun 30, 2012
I think it is fair for higher level wiz to fight warlords. Look to upgrade your equipment for better overall defense in the bizarre if you can. Someitmes you have to pick one or two schools to have equipment for and then have more shields for the other schools. As a storm wiz, you should have many attack spells with one or two pip attack (like storm elf with attack over time) so that it is hard to shield you. Then attack with leviathan or other high rank attacks.

I have a high level non warlord wiz that has good, fair fights with lower ranking warlords. I also have a lower level wiz that is a warlord and he can win and lose to higher level wiz. I agree the lower level warlord has an advantage with the equipment they have, but it can be evened by using certain combinations of gear a with different school shields.

Good luck

Survivor
Aug 01, 2010
I don't mind fighting warlords. I have a level 30 storm and I beat warlords every time they have the same or less health than me. What I don't think is fair is to put a level 20 warlord against a level 50 private. The level 50 is obviously going to have more health and better spells than the level 20. Just because the level 20 is more experienced doesn't mean their chances are all that great. And I've played privates that have 2,500 health before, and I hardly have 1,200. It just wasn't fair. I know I was a commander or something, but still! My point is that I think it should be set up by either health, level, or both. It would be way more fair.

Delver
Oct 26, 2010
There are many flaws in the PvP system, such as this.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
A Balanced Life on Dec 10, 2013 wrote:
There are many flaws in the PvP system, such as this.
There are indeed.

You can beat just warlords as a Level 35 storm, but it will take a lot of battle preparation, probably more than people like to think about doing. I estimate that getting on your feet will take a month for most players.
  • Get a really good spell or two. Farm Loremaster with a higher level friend. Farm until you get a powerful spell that can surprise your opponent. If you're Storm, use a Life, Death, or Balance spell, which your opponent is less likely to shield against. Another option is to obtain a pet with a good hit card (e.g., Storm Hound), but if you have a discerning opponent, you will lose the element of surprise.

• Get lots of gold. Find a higher level friend who will let you join in farming Halfang in Wintertusk. You will earn much gold, very quickly. You will need this for pet hatching, treasure cards, and to buy a Red Barn Farm.

• Get a really good garden. To do this, farm the Boar Camp in Grizzleheim to get Couch Potato seeds. Plant the seeds and place the following objects near the plots: Litter, a Sandwich Station, and King Parsley. Couch Potatoes will give you Infallible treasure cards and Rank 9 pet snacks. Additionally, make sure you buy up Sour Fickle Pickle seeds when they appear at the Bazaar. Plant Sour Fickle Pickles in your garden to create a bank of Gargantuan, Colossal, Unstoppable, and Extraordinary cards. Place a Wooden Rake and a regular Fickle Pickle near them.

• Train a really good pet. Do not play Ranked PvP with anything less than an Ancient pet. Make sure your PvP pet gives Spell Proof, Spell Defy, and May Cast Fairy. The other talents are up to you, but without these, you won't live as long.

• Get really good gear. If you don't have PvP gear, and you don't have crowns, your best bet is either the Senator gear from Mount Olympus, or else No Auction Storm gear from Mooshu. Use the Sky Iron Hasta wand or craft the storm accuracy wand sold by the recipe vendor in the Garden of Hesperides.

• Get treasure cards. Some people act like treasure cards are a bad thing, but they're allowed, and if you plan them well, you stand to win a lot more. Carry Tower Shield, Weakness, Darkwind, Shatter, Reshuffle, and Triage cards at all times. Each of these cards prevents you from losing against one type of opponent. Additionally, enchant your best attacks with sun spell cards in the Golem Tower, then exit, so you have the cards ready to go for your PvP matches.

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
dragon of platypi on Dec 5, 2013 wrote:
Dear The Professors,

Thank you,

Hello,

Just pvp on your max level / level your storm to max push critical and damage thats the key in todays fast pvp matches you will see i got sick of losing on my balance and death. Storm, fire and balance still landing criticals though 316 base block while my critical was ok 298 it never landed because a 200 block will block it. low level pvp is out and the 50 warlords have to battle max levels all the time. Even with the good pvp gear if the max has push critical up the 50 has no chance to win they are not going to block any of the hits even with conv running.

Now my block is lame like 100 but I will land criticals on all but someone with 350 or block which is rare.

Survivor
Jun 16, 2009
Lucas Rain on Dec 11, 2013 wrote:
There are indeed.

You can beat just warlords as a Level 35 storm, but it will take a lot of battle preparation, probably more than people like to think about doing. I estimate that getting on your feet will take a month for most players.
  • Get a really good spell or two. Farm Loremaster with a higher level friend. Farm until you get a powerful spell that can surprise your opponent. If you're Storm, use a Life, Death, or Balance spell, which your opponent is less likely to shield against. Another option is to obtain a pet with a good hit card (e.g., Storm Hound), but if you have a discerning opponent, you will lose the element of surprise.

• Get lots of gold. Find a higher level friend who will let you join in farming Halfang in Wintertusk. You will earn much gold, very quickly. You will need this for pet hatching, treasure cards, and to buy a Red Barn Farm.

• Get a really good garden. To do this, farm the Boar Camp in Grizzleheim to get Couch Potato seeds. Plant the seeds and place the following objects near the plots: Litter, a Sandwich Station, and King Parsley. Couch Potatoes will give you Infallible treasure cards and Rank 9 pet snacks. Additionally, make sure you buy up Sour Fickle Pickle seeds when they appear at the Bazaar. Plant Sour Fickle Pickles in your garden to create a bank of Gargantuan, Colossal, Unstoppable, and Extraordinary cards. Place a Wooden Rake and a regular Fickle Pickle near them.

• Train a really good pet. Do not play Ranked PvP with anything less than an Ancient pet. Make sure your PvP pet gives Spell Proof, Spell Defy, and May Cast Fairy. The other talents are up to you, but without these, you won't live as long.

• Get really good gear. If you don't have PvP gear, and you don't have crowns, your best bet is either the Senator gear from Mount Olympus, or else No Auction Storm gear from Mooshu. Use the Sky Iron Hasta wand or craft the storm accuracy wand sold by the recipe vendor in the Garden of Hesperides.

• Get treasure cards. Some people act like treasure cards are a bad thing, but they're allowed, and if you plan them well, you stand to win a lot more. Carry Tower Shield, Weakness, Darkwind, Shatter, Reshuffle, and Triage cards at all times. Each of these cards prevents you from losing against one type of opponent. Additionally, enchant your best attacks with sun spell cards in the Golem Tower, then exit, so you have the cards ready to go for your PvP matches.
Haha Thank you Lucas.

I agree completely with him. You have to understand. This is RANKED pvp. Meaning everyone is trying to win the match. If you can get an advantage TAKE IT.

You are already a higher level wizard. That doesn't mean your spells are better (cause let's be honest, we warlords use treasure cards ) but, you can in a sense, cast more than the lower level wizard. My level 5 wizard can only cast one kraken and he is done for after that! Verses you who could cast 3 or 4 krakens and still be fine!

Survivor
May 20, 2009
I am frusturated with pvp because I thik that you should be able to rank 1v1 your own friends! I think it is completely stupid that you could get a chance of going against your friends in pvp if you are in 2v2 or 3v3 an ect. It would be way fun to get to 1v1 your friends in ranked pvp!
Sincerely, Sean Darkblade level 95

Defender
Mar 08, 2013
moonlight47 on Dec 26, 2013 wrote:
I am frusturated with pvp because I thik that you should be able to rank 1v1 your own friends! I think it is completely stupid that you could get a chance of going against your friends in pvp if you are in 2v2 or 3v3 an ect. It would be way fun to get to 1v1 your friends in ranked pvp!
Sincerely, Sean Darkblade level 95
That would be fun, but the problem is that people would take advantage of it and lose on purpose, so their friend(themselves on another account) can rank up to warlord.

Survivor
Apr 28, 2012
Well i to am very frustrated with ranked pvp i was a knight and for some reason these warlords just kill me with orthous and full pip judgement and puppets and it's getting boring and i hate it's boring and i don't like it please someone from kingsisle fix pvp it's broken and it's hard sincerely anthony ogreblade level 83 and my used to be knight luke skywalker level 28

Survivor
Apr 28, 2012
moonwhisper then why are warlords fighting me when i use my level 28 wizard

Delver
Mar 07, 2012
  • Strong, but Fabulous ( not ). Since you don't have access to the commander gear, you should start of with the best gear at the bazaar. You obviously don't have much resistant, but you can get a lot of extra attack. Remember, all that matters is the stats, don't worry about how it looks. Don't forget the rest of your gear, they help with pips and health. As for the amulet, I suppose you get a spell you need the most. Wands, you can choose to use your own school wands or another for tower shields.

• Cute and Cuddly. Make sure you have a good pet, one with the spritely and spell-proof abilities are what your looking for. If you don't have one with spell-proof, then spell defy is good. Pain-giver is a good ability to have as well. Breed your pet if you have to, make that pet flawless!

• Deck of Cards. Make sure you have a few heals, blades, traps. You should have weakness and tower shield spells too, maybe disease. You could prepare your attack spells by adding Colossal beforehand.

• Ready now! Well, you have everything you need now, go out there and make mama proud! :3 Also, remember the longer you wait, the bigger the difference for your rank and level.

• That was a Good Game. Sportsmanship is just as important as the things that got you here. If you win a game make sure to say "GG." ( Good game ) If you LOSE make sure to say "GG" as well. The most important part of PvP is to have a good time. So, have a good time.

• Try again. If you lost that match, oh well, you'll never know if you make it to the Warlord rating if you don't keep playing. Try again, you might just win the next time.

• Gear of Commanders. When you become a commander, make sure to snag some of that gear from Diego, it has some great stats. You should be set by then, you have everything you need.

• Be Proud of Yourself! Don't worry, no matter what others say, you'll make it one day and show them! Just do PvP for fun and not for the competition. You'll be more relaxed. :D

~ Vanessa Rainbowpetal, level 48 theurgist

Delver
Oct 26, 2010
MiguelThefirst on Dec 5, 2013 wrote:
Level 95Miguel (Warlord)
This post made me laugh. First of all, level 60s with 120 block facing storms with 500 critical is not a "practice makes perfect" kind of thing. This is unfair, I find myself facing myth, storm, fire, ice warlords with 500 critical and 100 damage every rank I do. This is why I quit rank and just do tourneys. But that's what Kingsisle wants. Us to stop ranking and pay an overpriced 500 crowns for a tournament.

Survivor
Jun 10, 2010
Thank you for all of these fine replies and posts! I really enjoyed reading all of them and a special thanks to Vanessa and Lucas!

Survivor
Apr 28, 2012
Kingsisle um well I just did a 2v2 with my friend and well he killed this guy with a tempest and then it was a tie we should have won because he killed him and thanks to that i went from commander back down to captain I am furious please fix it or I am never playing this game again.

Survivor
May 26, 2012
I will tell you what is frustrating (not sayin' that pvp isn't frustrating)! I just hit my bare pinky toe into a brick real hard