Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Fizzle

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 14, 2009
I have a big complaint about the amount of fizzle lately as a player I have gotten lately. I have lost several PVP matches due to fizzle, where I was a corporal and now busted down to private because of 3 fizzles in a row where I could have defeated my opponate if I had not fizzled the amount of times I had. I did not fizzle this much when I first started this game and the amount of fizzle has increased since I have played.
Can we do something about this?

Survivor
Feb 13, 2009

That is a big problem that most diviants have. I read somewhere online that to stop this problem click on the light area around them. I myself have not tried this yet but hopefully it works. Good luck

Survivor
Nov 16, 2008
I agree. I have the same complaint in another section of this forum.

This exact same thing has happened to me. I counted 9 fizzles in my match (no, I'm not counting ones with a dispell and no, I don't use wild bolt).

Survivor
Jan 13, 2009
Airiana wrote:
alemorg2630 wrote:
I have a big complaint about the amount of fizzle lately as a player I have gotten lately. I have lost several PVP matches due to fizzle, where I was a corporal and now busted down to private because of 3 fizzles in a row where I could have defeated my opponate if I had not fizzled the amount of times I had. I did not fizzle this much when I first started this game and the amount of fizzle has increased since I have played.

That is a big problem that most deviants have. I read somewhere online that to stop this problem click on the light area around them. I myself have not tried this yet but hopefully it works. Good luck
clicking on the light ... i have not tried that most of the time my phoenix doesnt fizzle but ... it did today! :(

Survivor
Jan 13, 2009
Airiana wrote:
alemorg2630 wrote:

That is a big problem that most deviants have. I read somewhere online that to stop this problem click on the light area around them. I myself have not tried this yet but hopefully it works. Good luck
it has worked wonders for me. in the last six battles ( at least ) i have not fizzled once thank you so much! :D

Defender
May 15, 2009
alemorg2630 wrote:

Yes.

Wear +accuracy armour/spells to reduce fizzle chance.

Plan for fizzles, particularly if you are Storm like I am. Fizzles are the risk you take for the high-damage reward. Your deck and your tactics should always have a Plan B for consideration.

Note that none of these are guarantees--they only manage the risk, not eliminate it.

The game would be pretty predictable and boring if every spell cast every time.

Defender
Dec 31, 2008
I don't get it, click the light area around what? And what does "deviants" mean in this context?

Survivor
Mar 29, 2009
susume wrote:
I don't get it, click the light area around what? And what does "deviants" mean in this context?

A deviant is a student from the storm school, and your apost to click the light around your opponent, i think.

Defender
May 15, 2009
Survivor
Dec 18, 2008
RoloX2 wrote:
alemorg2630 wrote:

Yes.

Wear +accuracy armour/spells to reduce fizzle chance.

Plan for fizzles, particularly if you are Storm like I am. Fizzles are the risk you take for the high-damage reward. Your deck and your tactics should always have a Plan B for consideration.

Note that none of these are guarantees--they only manage the risk, not eliminate it.

The game would be pretty predictable and boring if every spell cast every time.

well what we are talking about is like life fizzleing almost every single time and i agree i fizzle too much because i lost a fight due to me fizzleing all of my strongest spells and running out

Survivor
May 10, 2009
Explorer
May 31, 2008
My friend wears a mix of Dropped gear from DS that give her a plus 15% Storm accuracy so her Storm spells have a 85% of hitting - which is just as much as my death spells.

Survivor
Jun 21, 2009
alemorg2630 wrote:

ya.
If your are a fire or storm wizard that has 70 or 75 % nonfizzle, make your secondary school a life or balance that has 85 or 90 % nonfizzle chance.
That will help to reduce amount of fizzles but will somewhat lower power.

Defender
May 15, 2009
draglord102 wrote:

well what we are talking about is like life fizzleing almost every single time and i agree i fizzle too much because i lost a fight due to me fizzleing all of my strongest spells and running out

I doubt that you fizzle "almost every single time".

I would argue that you didn't lose because your strongest spells fizzled but you lost due to poor deck design. Your deck's make-up should take into account the probabilities of fizzles...especially if you play Storm or Fire. This is called risk management and it applies to many things.

Survivor
Dec 14, 2008
Interesting, it is the Spell that you are casting, in conjunction with the "percent to hit" your equipment gives, that determines your chance to hit, not the School your Wizard is in.

Defender
May 15, 2009
pyroking13 wrote:

If your are a fire or storm wizard that has 70 or 75 % nonfizzle, make your secondary school a life or balance that has 85 or 90 % nonfizzle chance.
That will help to reduce amount of fizzles but will somewhat lower power.

Much lower since you can't use power pips on those spells.

Survivor
Jun 15, 2009
alemorg2630 wrote:

So, because of this, you must be a storm class or fire class. Don't worry, we all have our days when we fizzle ten times in a row. I mean, I'm school death and one time i fizzle my Pirate (I call him bob :D) seven times in a row. But after that, through out the whole week I played, I haven't fizzled yet. Also, fizzling is not ALL bad. It saves you pips, and gives you a chance to use an even stronger spell that costs more pips the next move.

Survivor
Jan 27, 2009
Swift98 wrote:
My friend wears a mix of Dropped gear from DS that give her a plus 15% Storm accuracy so her Storm spells have a 85% of hitting - which is just as much as my death spells.

By my understand this is not correct. I believe the armor accuracy boost works the same as damage boosts and thus are multiplicative instead of additive.
i.e., 70% x (100% + 15%) = 70% * 1.15 = 80.5%

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
As a storm wizard i know what it is like to fizzle three or four times in a row, it hurts, especcially when it is on a boss. I have tried the light thing, it seems to work somewhat, but doesnt ensure hits, i have still fizzled many times while using that method

Explorer
May 09, 2009
I also get a ton of fizzles even though I am a (proud) Life student. I counted my centaur fizzles 6 times in 1 day, all in the different worlds. I click on the name tag all the time so I really don't think it is a difference if you click on the enemy.

Please fix this, KI,
Marcus Legendcrafter, LVL 34, LIFE storm

Defender
May 15, 2009
Inspired wrote:
I believe the armor accuracy boost works the same as damage boosts and thus are multiplicative instead of additive.
i.e., 70% x (100% + 15%) = 70% * 1.15 = 80.5%

I don't believe so; hit 'C' to look at your accuracy stat. Mine shows the sum of my base and my bonuses.

DeejMaster wrote:
Interesting, it is the Spell that you are casting, in conjunction with the "percent to hit" your equipment gives, that determines your chance to hit, not the School your Wizard is in.

Not sure what the point of that was; however, technically, you may arguably be correct, pragmatically you are not. Your school determines your spells, from which your accuracy is derived. Excluding the 100% spells in all schools, each school's spell's accuracy is consistent: Storm=70%, Fire=75%, etc., so, in effect, your school does indicate your accuracy.

Survivor
May 10, 2009
I posted this in another thread, but its definatly worth a look regarding fire and storm wizards.

From your posts I'm guessing you do not play a High level Fire or storm wizard and are just harping on anyone getting a accuracy boost. If you want to openly object to anything suggested that is your right, but you are harping on post that have valid points.

As it stands. Every class has a strong point and a weak point. If you look at the classes and break them down into weaknesses you will see that while most wizards (all but two) have 1 real strength and 1 real weakness. Storm and fire are the ONLY schools who do not fit this profile. Storm and Fire wizards are the only schools who have 1 strength and 2 weaknesses

Balance- Average damage High survivability High Accuracy
Myth- Average damage High survival High accuracy
Life- Low damage High survival High accuracy
Death- Medium damage High survival high accuracy
Ice- Medium damage High Survival High accuracy
Storm- High damage Low survival Low accuracy
Fire- High damage low survival low accuracy

Notice a trend here?

The other schools are basically balanced on strengths and weaknesses. These are just a basic run down of where they stand but it suffices to prove my point

All the schools have the ability to deal high damage with certain spell combinations, but I left those out of this. All the other schools have high survival be it from High HP, Crazy good shields (frost,balance) The ability to heal etc...

All of the schools except fire and storm have good accuracy.

Lets take the Lowest damage school and the highest damage school and average their damage over a 100 spell casts of their biggest attack.

Storm- Stormzilla 650-730
Life- Centaur 515-595

We will now take the average damage done on this spell

Stormzilla - 690
Centaur- 555

Stormzilla x 100 (casts) = 69,000 damage. we won't consider traps or blades. 69,000 X .70 ( Non-fizzle chance) = 48,300

Centaur x 100 (casts) =55,500 X .90 (Non-fizzle chance) = 49,950

Now lets throw in some blades/traps. Only 1 blade and trap per!

Storms Blade = 30% trap = 25%

Life blade = 40% trap = 25%

Once again we will use the average damage of

Storm - 690 X 1.30 (Blade) = 897 x 1.25 (trap) = 1121
Life - 555 X 1.40 (blade) = 777 x 1.25 (trap) = 971

Once again over 100 casts

Storm 1121 X 100 = 112100 X .70 (chance to not fizzle) =78,470 Damage
Life 971 x 100 = 97100 X .90 (chance to not Fizzle) = 87,390 Damage

This same thing happens to fire. Over the course of 100 rounds (used to balance the Fizzle % chance) You see that

No traps , No blades

Storm did 48,300 damage
Life Did 49,950 damage

Why is the highest damage school being out done by the lowest?

1 Trap, 1 blade school specific.

Storm did 78,470 Damage
Life did 87,390 Damage

Once again why is the highest damage school losing to the lowest damage school?

Now we see that life ( the lowest damage school) can out damage storm ( the highest damage school) but what else do we need to note.

Storm (and fire) Give up their Health and Fizzle Rate for this supposively higher damage.. the problem is they arent even doing the HIGHEST DAMAGE. We have schools with more health, better shields, absords, heals, accuracy doing more damage than the schools that sacrifice all those things for it.

Is the system broke? Maybe not. Is the system balanced? Definatly not.

Survivor
Mar 27, 2009
Tgrable wrote:
I posted this in another thread, but its definatly worth a look regarding fire and storm wizards.

From your posts I'm guessing you do not play a High level Fire or storm wizard and are just harping on anyone getting a accuracy boost. If you want to openly object to anything suggested that is your right, but you are harping on post that have valid points.

As it stands. Every class has a strong point and a weak point. If you look at the classes and break them down into weaknesses you will see that while most wizards (all but two) have 1 real strength and 1 real weakness. Storm and fire are the ONLY schools who do not fit this profile. Storm and Fire wizards are the only schools who have 1 strength and 2 weaknesses

Notice a trend here?

The other schools are basically balanced on strengths and weaknesses. These are just a basic run down of where they stand but it suffices to prove my point

All the schools have the ability to deal high damage with certain spell combinations, but I left those out of this. All the other schools have high survival be it from High HP, Crazy good shields (frost,balance) The ability to heal etc...

Lets take the Lowest damage school and the highest damage school and average their damage over a 100 spell casts of their biggest attack.

Life- Centaur 515-595

Stormzilla - 690
Centaur- 555

Stormzilla x 100 (casts) = 69,000 damage. we won't consider traps or blades. 69,000 X .70 ( Non-fizzle chance) = 48,300

This same thing happens to fire. Over the course of 100 rounds (used to balance the Fizzle % chance) You see that

No traps , No blades

Storm did 48,300 damage
Life Did 49,950 damage

Storm did 78,470 Damage
Life did 87,390 Damage

Now we see that life ( the lowest damage school) can out damage storm ( the highest damage school) but what else do we need to note.

Storm (and fire) Give up their Health and Fizzle Rate for this supposively higher damage.. the problem is they arent even doing the HIGHEST DAMAGE. We have schools with more health, better shields, absords, heals, accuracy doing more damage than the schools that sacrifice all those things for it.

Are you saying storm isn't good at ANYTHING because that is rude

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2009
well, if your storm school, we can't help you there. storm school hits VERY high but has high fizzle rate.

FIRE on the other hand, it fizzles more than it should. heck hound fizzles about 6/10. its 75%, but it feels like its 40%.

fire is the one that needs an accuracy boost. i lost to many bosses and monsters due to one little fizzles of a spell that would have saved my life. i know it happens, but it needs to stop happening this much.

Survivor
Jan 27, 2009
Tgrable wrote:

Notice a trend here?

Life- Centaur 515-595

Stormzilla - 690
Centaur- 555

No traps , No blades

Storm did 48,300 damage
Life Did 49,950 damage

Storm did 78,470 Damage
Life did 87,390 Damage

This is a flawed analysis. Apart from creating a high versus low survival attribute that doesn't really exist in the game. Any analysis of damage over time cannot be made that ignores PIPs. By multiplying damage by accuracy it implies that the damage potential of those PIPs used to cast a fizzled spell are wasted and they are not. Also, the damage from a 5-PIP spell like Stormzilla shouldn't be equally compared to a 6-PIP spell like Centaur.

Even in a perfect match where blades and traps were available exactly when needed and power PIPs came up predictably so no turn would otherwise ever be wasted; you would still have additional PIPs accumulated with storm over say life to heal or cast another or better damage spell. (i.e., my Stormzilla fizzled, okay here's a Triton, and if that fizzles too, how about a Tempest with that pile of accumulated PIPs for both the enemy and his friends? or I suppose I could complain and wish that I was Life so i could do some lesser damage with my Centaur that rarely fizzles, but when I does, well I can cast another Centaur.)

I find a much better measure of damage (as well as healing) to be damage per PIP, with accuracy being a separate measure of how hard I'll have to work on average to take advantage of that damage per PIP. Finally having played every class, I would say that the schools are balanced quite well throughout most of the leveling and end up balanced at the end. However, this does not, nor should it, mean that they are equal.