Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Fire Warlords.......

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Over the past seven weeks or so, I have watched a lot of PvP battles on the weekends. Especially Fire vs Ice in 1v1, and what I have seen kinda amazed me. Fire seems to consistantly beat Ice, at the Warlord level.

Let me start with, I have an Ice, Balance, Storm level ~40 and a start (Level 20+) on a Death Wizard. My Ice and Balance do all the PvP's, but I can't wait to get my Storm up a bit.

Of the last (11) 1v1 PvP battles between Fire and Ice, I only saw two Ice Warlords win. I even watched a girl Fire Warlord taunt an Ice Warlord, while she beat him. That was one of the best matches that I have ever watched, as she had me laughing through most of it.
With all the complaints on Ice being tough to beat in the Warlord Level of PvP, this is not what I expected to see.

The other item that I did notice is that Wizards still get mismatched, and are battling someone they shouldn't be. Both Wizards may both be Level 60, but you can quickly see the mismatch in experience.
I watched a Fire and an Ice this past Sunday morning, and the Ice won both matches, but it was a poor fight. The Ice was rated well over what the Fire was rated, so I ignored those two fights.
This is one area that KI needs to look at and try to fix asap, imo. If you can select ranges in the Practice pvp, it shouldn't be that hard to make reg PvP close to that way also. Or at least give a message, that there is no one available for your PvP match......

Joseph LionHunter.
Level 60 Ice and Balance.

Explorer
Jan 07, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
Over the past seven weeks or so, I have watched a lot of PvP battles on the weekends. Especially Fire vs Ice in 1v1, and what I have seen kinda amazed me. Fire seems to consistantly beat Ice, at the Warlord level.

Of the last (11) 1v1 PvP battles between Fire and Ice, I only saw two Ice Warlords win. I even watched a girl Fire Warlord taunt an Ice Warlord, while she beat him. That was one of the best matches that I have ever watched, as she had me laughing through most of it.
With all the complaints on Ice being tough to beat in the Warlord Level of PvP, this is not what I expected to see.

Joseph LionHunter.

I agree with you. I have never thought that ice wizards were overpowered, and in fact think that fire now is the dominant power in pvp and has been since the new level 58 spell. Most of their spells are DOT and are very hard to shield against, you just cant possibly put up that many fire shields to have a win. Ice has never been the overpowered wizard, Fire is IMO.

Mastermind
Mar 16, 2010
EvilDroid wrote:
Lion359 wrote:

Joseph LionHunter.

I agree with you. I have never thought that ice wizards were overpowered, and in fact think that fire now is the dominant power in pvp and has been since the new level 58 spell. Most of their spells are DOT and are very hard to shield against, you just cant possibly put up that many fire shields to have a win. Ice has never been the overpowered wizard, Fire is IMO.
Fire is more powerful? Didnt another post that had the title of,"Ice is indeed OVERPOWERED" say that ice is overpowered because it has high resistances and high health?

Survivor
Feb 14, 2010
Hello. First off I'd like to thank you for keeping calm about this whole thing and not ranting over which one is more powerful, why there is so many fire and/or ice warlords, etc. I like to watch PvP duels as well, and yes, many of them have a fire against something else, or another fire. Now, ice is definitely favored more than any other school in the spiral, you may disagree but it's pretty obvious with the 3300+ health and 36% resist (more or less depending on pet talents, Heartsteel, different sets of resist on gear) When I do watch these battles, fire is usally the one to win. Both schools of ice and fire are pretty strong, but I have noticed that most (not all) fire wizards rely on critical hits, which really spoil PvP, or they Gargantuan their spells. Usually they blade up, shield, set up traps and such and then bam! efreet their opponent and the game is over. Not to mention that weakness is quite overpowered don't you think? It's always fun to watch these two schools verse each other because it's nearly always a close match. Even lower ranks, that aren't warlords, have the same tactic. But I guess it's all skill and kills ;)
ASF-Balance PvP Warlord

Armiger
May 10, 2010
It is very interesting to see how all schools decide how to strategize themself for pvp. Balance is all over PvP and can now use up to 4 feints, making them entirely unstoppable, especially with critical. Fire can efreet or Heck Hound opponents into submission. Ice has high health and great resist all. Life can now attack individuals or attack all with their intense healing power. Death, even more feints now, with 4 possible, and a powerful Skeletal Dragon for those that decide to shield. Myth, with powerful attacks to go through shields, great stuns, earthquake, minions, and Medusa.

Storm is the only one that is almost left in the cold, however, with great critical hit points, and gargantuans on wildbolt, kraken, triton, storm is still deadly.

If you pay attention, you can see every school at warlord, however, people will always see what they want to see and say that one school is more powerful than another! When in truth, it is the person playing the character that makes them powerful!

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
I'm not exactly sure why this is, but it may be that Fire has the same resist to Ice and Storm, that Ice does across the board.
Plus Fire has more internal boost, while both Fire and Ice hits are boosted on each other. The Efreet is 895 damage, while Snow Angel is only 700, and when both are boosted, I think that Fire may have the advantage.

Both have Rings that Boost, both have treasure cards that boost, but Fire has the best Shield breaker in the game, especially when boosted with Gargantuan.

What I saw in the matches, is that Fire was able to knock off Shields, and Efreet over and over, and Ice just couldn't heal fast enough to stay in the match. Even with sending out boosted Snow Angels and it's Finger OTS.

It seems to me, that KI may have planned it this way, between these three Wizards, idk. When these three Wizards battle it out, it always seems to be a great PvP, that I like to watch.

Joseph LionHunter.
Ice and Balance Level 60.
Storm on the way.
PS:(My brother is a level 60 Fire and "Fries" me in the combat ring).

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
I don't think ice is too strong in 1v1. They can over power death life and balance, but yet struggle against myth,fire and storm. This makes ice seem spretty fair in 1v1. Though when you look at 4v4, ice is getting pretty powerful. Reason being is that most people use AoE's which have a weaker damage output then the single target spells in 1v1. After are team has done are beautiful show of attacks the ice is still left with about 1400 health while the other team members are dead. If the whole battle, the ice was just stacking blades, then after your pipless, and the ice has 1918 respective health left. The can just put on one more blade and do 1000 a turn to your team. If they take time to shield, the can angle followed by Frost Giant, assures two of the 1000 dot hits to hit, plus the third, the original hit, and the frost giant. Unless you spent the battle stacking shields, your dead unless your ice. Now, the only counter to this is myth. So lets look at 4v4, Ice is strong against fire, storm, balance, life and death, but weak to myth. Does that really seem balanced? I is have to agree with you, Fire is the best school for 1v1.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Solstice64 wrote:
I don't think ice is too strong in 1v1. They can over power death life and balance, but yet struggle against myth,fire and storm. This makes ice seem spretty fair in 1v1. Though when you look at 4v4, ice is getting pretty powerful. Reason being is that most people use AoE's which have a weaker damage output then the single target spells in 1v1. After are team has done are beautiful show of attacks the ice is still left with about 1400 health while the other team members are dead. If the whole battle, the ice was just stacking blades, then after your pipless, and the ice has 1918 respective health left. The can just put on one more blade and do 1000 a turn to your team. If they take time to shield, the can angle followed by Frost Giant, assures two of the 1000 dot hits to hit, plus the third, the original hit, and the frost giant. Unless you spent the battle stacking shields, your dead unless your ice. Now, the only counter to this is myth. So lets look at 4v4, Ice is strong against fire, storm, balance, life and death, but weak to myth. Does that really seem balanced? I is have to agree with you, Fire is the best school for 1v1.

Just for kicks! I would take 4 legendary storm wizards in PvP anyday over 4 legendary ice wizards and storm would win everytime!

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
I've noticed more and more ice wizards with little or no skill at warlord rank, this is more than likely the case for some if not most of the matches you are referring to. I suggest you level a fire to legendary and try your luck at 1200 rank, it takes much practice to consistently win with fire. I'm at 1180 right now and roughly 80% of my fights are against ice wizards. Pre celestia I would reach 1600 easy and downrank just to get fights but things have changed. As things stand ice is the dominant school in pvp right now, the sheer amount of ice wizards above warlord is clear evidence of that. Rarely do you see a fire wizard at warlord without a good strategy but as it stands level 58 gear is a good enough strategy to get your ice wizard to 900. Maybe it's ice's turn to be the big dog, I accept that but fire is hardly a problem in pvp.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
travisAk wrote:
I've noticed more and more ice wizards with little or no skill at warlord rank, this is more than likely the case for some if not most of the matches you are referring to. I suggest you level a fire to legendary and try your luck at 1200 rank, it takes much practice to consistently win with fire. I'm at 1180 right now and roughly 80% of my fights are against ice wizards. Pre celestia I would reach 1600 easy and downrank just to get fights but things have changed. As things stand ice is the dominant school in pvp right now, the sheer amount of ice wizards above warlord is clear evidence of that. Rarely do you see a fire wizard at warlord without a good strategy but as it stands level 58 gear is a good enough strategy to get your ice wizard to 900. Maybe it's ice's turn to be the big dog, I accept that but fire is hardly a problem in pvp.

Fire is a force to recon with in all aspects of PvP, 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 matchups. Not many schools can say the same thing!

1v1, who has the power and ability to shred through shields like Fire? Who has a spell like heck hound that does massive damage over time?

If you have a problem and you are fire, I suggest trying new strategies, because fire is probably the best at PvP!

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
darthjt wrote:

Just for kicks! I would take 4 legendary storm wizards in PvP anyday over 4 legendary ice wizards and storm would win everytime!

I would love to watch your ice vs storm 4v4 match, but in my mind, whoever went frist would win, though going second, ice would have a higher chance of winning. (Not enough to make a difference unless the storm team made a mistake.) Win everytime? In one turn you can put 4 storm shields on the life, how are you ganna get trough that, the next turn, you can make it 7 and the life can put up conviction. Your stormslords would be rendered useless with storms lack of abilty to clear shields. I gtg cant talk no more...

-Solstice

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
darthjt wrote:
1v1, who has the power and ability to shred through shields like Fire? Who has a spell like heck hound that does massive damage over time?

If you have a problem and you are fire, I suggest trying new strategies, because fire is probably the best at PvP!
are you implying that other schools can't effectively remove shields? Death and ice have their own low pip DOT spells which seem to do the trick and couple that with their hard-hitting level 58 DoT's and their combo will rip you up. Fire is no longer "THE" DoT school anymore, even heck hound is not fire specific with storm hound and now ice bound making their appearance. (notice storm hound is readily available as a treasure card now). I lost a two hour match going second by a crafted healing ice because he saved his boosts by throwing a fire elf when I had more towers than ice shields, a tower breaker easily obtained by all schools, the combo was flawlessly thrown against me. The time of fire owning DoT is over. If you ask me life should get a low pip DoT spell to balance things out a bit. Myth has double attacks and stuns so they are good. Darthjt you go to great lengths to prove how schools are balanced then say fire is the strongest? Flip flopping?

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Solstice64 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

I would love to watch your ice vs storm 4v4 match, but in my mind, whoever went frist would win, though going second, ice would have a higher chance of winning. (Not enough to make a difference unless the storm team made a mistake.) Win everytime? In one turn you can put 4 storm shields on the life, how are you ganna get trough that, the next turn, you can make it 7 and the life can put up conviction. Your stormslords would be rendered useless with storms lack of abilty to clear shields. I gtg cant talk no more...

-Solstice

When you guys work out the teams, let me be one of the Ice, as my Storm is still working on his levels....

Joseph LionHunter,

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Solstice64 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

-Solstice

If ice went first, it would be a little harder, I grant you that, but it still greatly depends on what ice does.

Try this on for size. 3 storm use tempest with gargantuan off the bat, or you could have all 4 use it. If 3 use tempest then the 4th uses empower!

Second turn, they all use tempest again with gargantuan and 4 uses storm lord!

You would be amazed at the damage Storm can do, especially if they hit critical!

Armiger
May 10, 2010
travisAk wrote:
darthjt wrote:

are you implying that other schools can't effectively remove shields? Death and ice have their own low pip DOT spells which seem to do the trick and couple that with their hard-hitting level 58 DoT's and their combo will rip you up. Fire is no longer "THE" DoT school anymore, even heck hound is not fire specific with storm hound and now ice bound making their appearance. (notice storm hound is readily available as a treasure card now). I lost a two hour match going second by a crafted healing ice because he saved his boosts by throwing a fire elf when I had more towers than ice shields, a tower breaker easily obtained by all schools, the combo was flawlessly thrown against me. The time of fire owning DoT is over. If you ask me life should get a low pip DoT spell to balance things out a bit. Myth has double attacks and stuns so they are good. Darthjt you go to great lengths to prove how schools are balanced then say fire is the strongest? Flip flopping?

No, not flip flopping at all. The schools are pretty even, I do agree with you though, Life does need a good DoT spell.

What I mean by Fire is the best for PvP, is that fire has an easier time with PvP, for any beginner. Anyone can figure out an easy strategy with fire, because fire is geared for PvP!

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
darthjt wrote:

If ice went first, it would be a little harder, I grant you that, but it still greatly depends on what ice does.

Try this on for size. 3 storm use tempest with gargantuan off the bat, or you could have all 4 use it. If 3 use tempest then the 4th uses empower!

Second turn, they all use tempest again with gargantuan and 4 uses storm lord!

You would be amazed at the damage Storm can do, especially if they hit critical!

I never thought of that tactic before so I am curious of the damage.

320+225=545
545*1.65=899
899*.63=566(ices resistance,)
566(with decimals)*3=1699 damage the first turn.

The second turn:
160+225=385*1.65=635
635*.63=400
400*3=1200

690+225=915
915*1.65=1509
1509*.63=951

951+1200+1699=3850 If the ice wizards had their school ring, then they would live by about 10 health. Though they would be stunned making them die from the next tempest. This is assuming no spritely, spell-proof,bad pips, fizzles or critical from the storm. So the storm would seem to have won.
Though lets see if my awesome ice strategy can over come it, wink wink. Going second, I doubt my ice strategy could win, but going first, it could. Since your storm strategy gave me a idea.

First turn.

Ice one: empower
All others ice blade.

Turn two:
Ice one: Frost Giant
475+225=700
700*1.28=896
896*.64=573 damage the second turn, stun stops the kill that they would have faced.
All other ice use a treasure ice blade.

Turn three:
First Ice uses conviction, fortify, tower, does not really matter.

The other ice all use giant (the reason why I am not using snow angle is becuase during the first turn giant deals more damage in one turn, and if the storms live, then they are most likely dead, so I am trying to maximize the amount of damage dealt on the turn of attacking.)

896*1.4=1254
1254*1.45=1818
1818*.64=1164
1164*3=3492 (no need to add the initial hit for no storm wizard has over that amount of health.)

Once again, assuming no spritely, spell-proof, bad pips, fizzles, and critical.

So basically whichever team went first would win. Though thank you darthjt, looking into the deeper meaning of these numbers, the schools seem much more balanced then I once thought.

-Solstice64

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Hey Solstice64,

Um, well, I could win, but if you all start taking and using my strategies, that it gets a lot harder!

Ok, let me rephrase my sentence. I can win on normal people that don't read my strategies here on the message boards!

But yes, it is quite interesting to see the differences in schools and how they might use things to benefit themselves, like criticals, or global resists. Really makes you think, what is more important!

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
darthjt wrote:
Hey Solstice64,

Um, well, I could win, but if you all start taking and using my strategies, that it gets a lot harder!

Ok, let me rephrase my sentence. I can win on normal people that don't read my strategies here on the message boards!

But yes, it is quite interesting to see the differences in schools and how they might use things to benefit themselves, like criticals, or global resists. Really makes you think, what is more important!

The first sentence made me laugh, the only reason why is the "Um, well, I could win..." sounds like something someone would say after they lose instead of gg. (Not saying that you lost the argument at all, its just that those few words gives me memories of sore losers.) Anyways this is beside the point.

Yes, you are correct. It is much easier to win against someone who doesn't know what you are doing. Your idea gave me an idea so I came up with that strategy. Truth is, this strategy would work in much more situations then just yours, as in I would use it as our teams normal strategy. So we would be going around doing that, the only thing that might change is if the threat of dieing that turn is nonexistent, then I would use angle instead. Though when fighting storm I would try to do the maximum amount of damage in one turn for from experience (and reading your post) I learned that storm deal massive damage with any number of pips. Point of this post is that I would do this even if I didn't know your strategy. (Many of these statement are very broad for there are more factors that go into what your going to do then just what I posted.)

The point of my first was to prove that your storm team could not win against a ice team going second, all I did was prove that they are both teams are evenly powered (Note: the amount of damage the storm team did winning going first was 3850+ whatever their finishing blow is, ices total damage winning was 4065, seems pretty fair to me. Also the only thing making one team win over the other is that one team went first.)

I also proved another of my points (that wasn't in this topic) right. This is critical! If there is already a perfect balance right there, then why did KI add critical!?

-Solstice64

Survivor
Aug 07, 2009
Lion359 wrote:

Let me start with, I have an Ice, Balance, Storm level ~40 and a start (Level 20+) on a Death Wizard. My Ice and Balance do all the PvP's, but I can't wait to get my Storm up a bit.

The other item that I did notice is that Wizards still get mismatched, and are battling someone they shouldn't be. Both Wizards may both be Level 60, but you can quickly see the mismatch in experience.
I watched a Fire and an Ice this past Sunday morning, and the Ice won both matches, but it was a poor fight. The Ice was rated well over what the Fire was rated, so I ignored those two fights.
This is one area that KI needs to look at and try to fix asap, imo. If you can select ranges in the Practice pvp, it shouldn't be that hard to make reg PvP close to that way also. Or at least give a message, that there is no one available for your PvP match......

Joseph LionHunter.
Every schools got its pros and cons. Well for instents death and life. Both can heal but one must always win with more higher spell traps and such. I'm a Balance too. Like I said, pros and cons

MeganGriffinSword
lvl 50 grandmaster
Balance and Death

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Well Solstice64, why they added criticals is a good question!

My thought, is to add a new and exciting dimesion to the game.

Mobs in Dragonspyre went from having maybe one power pip, to having 3 or 4 power pips in Celestia! So, to add fun and challenges, they added criticals, where you can critical hit for massive damage, or critical heal from the high powered attacks!

It also gives characters another choice in gear, going from resists to criticals! Power pips to accuracy! Giving our characters a more unique and distinguished feel.

But, this is just my thought.