Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Falling flat on pvp

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 27, 2011
When I'm in a battle with an enemy it is pretty easy for me because I'm lvl 33, but when it comes to pvp I fall flat. I don't know why but no matter how many times I practice I still can't get it

So can any one give me some tipes on how I can get better at pvp

Elizabeth ThunderCoin
lvl 33 storm wizard

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
PvP is a lot different than PvE. Yes, it's complicated, but I can give you some tips. With your storm wizard you may have problems defending, especially against balance at your level. Remember, not even the greatest warrior can win every battle. But in order to help your wins "outweigh" your losses, you will need to do what storm is meant to do. Deal damage fast and hard. Training the infection spell from Mortis, the Death Tree in Nightside will help you to stop them from healing. You may want to add a few of every shield you can cast in battle, your dual fire and ice shield, and every shield from your secondary school. Also if you have weaknesses add them. Then, in order to do damage, do not worry about one hitting them such as using stormblade, storm trap, elemental blade, and elemental trap, and darkwind. Instead use maybe a couple of stormblades and add smaller spells like lightning bats to deal with shield, if you have the wild bolt its also a good shield breaker. Be tricky with yuor attacks. Then, at the exact instance you catch them without a shield use your biggest attack on them. Add infections to weaken their heals. Remember to heal up yourself and keep on guard using shields, and eventually you should have them. Good luck out there.

Survivor
Jul 31, 2009
well, make a pvp noob. have them be lvl 5. i have a ice for the health. no speical clothes just nonhelping ones. i, has people say, a "cheater" because i use treasure cards, but theres no harm in a little help. if this doesnt work maybe it ur method. i wand, trap, kraken and i win most of the time and am a captin has so far.

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
I'm a level 33 Storm Warlord.

To be good at it for a storm of this level takes A LOT of work and a lot of crowns. Here goes:

- The first thing you want to do is plant twelve dandelions if your skill in gardening is awful. You are aiming to get yourself to the point you can plant evil magma peas (crown plants), plant like five of those and start collecting treasure tritons. Don't even try the maelstorm snap dragons. Their drop rate will drive you up the wall.

- You need to train 2 points into fire to fire elf. Five points into ice to tower shield. Three points into balance to weakness.
Do not touch life as a secondary school. You also need to train one point for reshuffle at the hidden shop by Colossus Boulevard (near Mindy Pixiecrown?) and one point in infection by the tree Mortis near Sunken City.
-> If you don't have enough training points to train all these, you need to complete more of Prospector Zeke's quests: Wizard City, Krokotopia, Grizzleheim and Marleybone. Do try not to gain more levels or experience. Perhaps you have a friend that will port you to all the cats and stray things you have to find.
-> If you used your training points wrong, you have to go to the registrar by Golem Court and use crowns to buy back your points. Don't try to get around being good at PvP if you used your training points wrong. As far as storm goes, I know it inside and out and this is the best possible way.

- After you are TRAINED right, you want to have the BEST gear you can. The best STARTER gear for you is sold at Marleybone. You use the defensive/healing set, not the aggressive set. There is a hat, shoes and a robe and they ALL costs crowns. You want to use Heartsteel, a crown athame sold in Wizard City. Youthful ring, a crown ring sold at Krokotopia (the Lucky Ring Diego sells is better if you have the tickets). Nightshade necklace. NOTHING else. Sold at the bazaar. Bolt blade for a wand, this is sold at the crown shop (or a myth blade if you decide to go for the alternative strategy discussed later).

- Once you are TRAINED and EQUIPPED right, you want to work on your pet. This will take A LOT of farming and hatching. The best place to farm is Wintertusk. Don't do any dungeons because you'll get xp. You'll need a legend friend to help you farm. Ask them to help you. You are trying to hatch a pet with these talents: spritely, spell-proof, defy, sharp shot. Other good talents you might possible get: storm-shot and health gift, but you DO need spritely and spell-proof before you even step into the arena. That would be good. I use a pet egg with spell proof, spritely, sharp shot and storm shot. So I dont fizzle.

- After you have completed all the stuff above (maybe one month down the road), you want to throw out whatever deck you are using and buy yourself a Watchman's Deck (it's called something like this) and then FARM again so that you have a lot of the following treasure cards:
a. Self-heal only Pixies. You will load three on your treasure deck.
b. Tower shields. You will load three on your treasure deck.
c. Fortify. You will load one on your treasure deck.
d. Mutate fire elf to storm elf. You will load two LIGHTNING elves into
your treasure deck.
e. Monstrous. You will load TWO monstrous krakens into your treasure
deck.
f. Triton (from your garden). You will load one into your treasure deck.
e. Weaknesses and plagues. You will load however many of these fit into
what's left of your treasure deck.

- Unto your Watchman Deck, you are going to load the following cards:
a. Four tower shields.
b. Three volcanic shields (from ice school).
c. Four pixies.
d. One cleanse charm (to clean infections only).
e. Three darkwinds.
f. Three storm blades.
g. Four infections.
h. Four weaknesses.
i. Two water minions.
j. One storm prism.
k. One storm bat.
l. One serpent.
m. One reshuffle.
n. Three krakens.

Strategy notes: You FORGET about thermic shields because if ice and fire want to kill you really they will do you damage over time and you should be weaknessing them, not shielding them. You FORGET tempests (unless you are doing team fighting which I STRONGLY do NOT recommend) because you will handle minions with your own minion's taunt or with the storm bats/krakens you loaded.

You DO NOT EVER discard your reshuffle if you get it in your hand. You just pray you dont get it early in the game. You survive judges by placing a weakness and a tower when they about ready to pop you out. You do the same with the heck hounds. You do the same with a ice wizard who wants to frostbite you at five pips. You kill the opposite minions with the bats or krakens. You try to control the bubble. You dont cast tower shields or weakness when they are at low pips. You don't use a life mastery amulet, you use a weakness amulet so you can double-stack your weakness on a balance wizard or anyone really, myth, fire and ice. All those schools need to be double weaknessed. Even death with their poison.

- You going to be sitting there shielding, healing, tower, weaknessing and blading up, trying to let your minion handle other minions long enough for you to be at full pips after your opposite player has attacked you and you have survived and then you will use your storm elf, double kraken preferably or triton (when they being particularly annoying) and it's GG if you have your bubble up and you hit with blades.

Alternative strategy: Equip a myth wand, drop one weakness and one infection and load storm prisms instead. You will be trying to hit with myth which is a school less shielded against. If you use this strategy, carry treasure supercharge on your treasure deck and use it.

There is only one storm wizard level 33 that I know of and that is me.

It takes a lot of work but if you want to do it, you can. Just dont expect to be warlord overnight. In addition, you'll want to only 1v1 and never stay in queue longer than 2 minutes.

Finally as long as your resist sucks, you'll have to play the odds by queueing yourself at the right time. That is when there's no ice, fire, myth, balance of HIGHER RANK and levels (15-29) sitting on the 1v1 queue which you can look at before you queue up. -.- Once you get your resist over 40%, you can queue up whenever and expect to kick some booty most of the time.

If you have a training point left over, train Conviction with Diego.

Diego will sell you a storm elf pet, that's the pet you want to hatch until you have the talents described above.

Good luck!
Laura Watersong (Level 33 Storm Warlord)

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
That sounds like a great strategy, laura, but i just have a few things to add to it:

If I remember correctly, Fierce Hound gives all of the pet talents that you described. To get one you'll either have to wait at the hatchery on a crowded realm for maybe a half hour to forty-five minutes, as, really, these aren't too common. Either that, or pay 40 bucks to get the epic bundle (first one) from a Gamestop store. Even this is a lot easier then farming Wintertusk as a level 33, as you haven't unlocked this yet, and most people (including me) wouldn't spend that long trying to get a pet of that magnitude from a Wintertusk boss for another person. If the person who started this thread wants to hatch with me, (I have a fierce hound that has Spritely, and it's at adult.) then I'd agree with that, as long as I know when you're on.

Most of the treasure cards (and not many people know this) that laura described (with the exclusion of triton and storm elf) can actually be found at the wizard city library. Even tower shield! You don't need to do tedious gardening just to get these spells.

Mutate storm elf is usually available in the bazaar located in Olde Town for a cheap price, and Triton ... well, with Triton, you'll need to be patient to get one, but eventually, someone will sell one to Elik, the owner of the shop, and you'll get it.

Life might be useful, actually. Storm has low health, so you'll at least want to train up to Sprite for when your spritely pet doesn't help you. If not this, and if you have enough training points, skip out on Weakness (but not the amulet.) and the sprite and train Feint from death. This will allow you to keep a small deck, so you can get the cards you need easier.

Hope this helped!