Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Eliminate Shadow Magic, Entirely Overpowered

1
AuthorMessage
Defender
Mar 30, 2010
175
There are no LEGITIMATE coutners for Shadow Magic in the game, stun or make them fizzle that is it really.

Please remove this atrocious new magic from the game as it takes the fun and creativity and whole purpose of the Wizard101 game out of the equation from the door.

Shadow Magic is runing the arena worse than immunity and this issue needs addressed ASAP.

This is an important issue that needs fixed.

There is no strategy with Shadow Magic if you can't make the person fizzle or stun them.

Please fix the arena, this is way out of hand.

Thank you.

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011
364
ViciousVenomousVix... on Mar 14, 2014 wrote:
There are no LEGITIMATE coutners for Shadow Magic in the game, stun or make them fizzle that is it really.

Please remove this atrocious new magic from the game as it takes the fun and creativity and whole purpose of the Wizard101 game out of the equation from the door.

Shadow Magic is runing the arena worse than immunity and this issue needs addressed ASAP.

This is an important issue that needs fixed.

There is no strategy with Shadow Magic if you can't make the person fizzle or stun them.

Please fix the arena, this is way out of hand.

Thank you.
I'll also suggest a counter, you can play Magus PvP, even if you climb up in the ranks you still will not fight them up till about 2500 rank. You could do Grandmaster or Legendary PvP, but you will eventually fight Prometheans.

Think about it,
Wolf Skullslinger

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1556
What I do to counter shrike is actually pretty simple. If I'm a Balance wizard, I'd try to Mana Burn them before they even used Shrike, then I could Black Mantle/Loremaster, or just simply use Availing Hands before they hit. If I'm Fire, I use Efreet or let my Fire Elemental use Smoke Mantle on them or I could even cast a 70 shield or if I had Krampus, I'd probably use that too. If I'm Ice, it's really simple, Winter Moon and Freeze are your best friends. As a Life, I'm not too sure how to counter Shrike, but I guess using Regenerate/Guardian Spirit could be a solution? On Myth, I love to cast Talos anyway so I can Medusa them, Talos most likely breaking the stun shield, the I can Medusa again. Storm can just continue hitting the opponent as most storms have low resist and won't need to worry about Shrike anyways, and death can Bad Juju spam.

Those are just my ways of surviving the spell and I haven't really lost to it yet from first or second, but for sure those plans aren't always going to work. It's not overpowered, you just have to figure out your own creative ways of surviving against it.

Hero
Dec 16, 2009
772
What do you mean there is no strategy against shadow magic? How is making them fizzle or stunning them not a strategy? If you would prefer not to use this simple technique you may have better luck dual shielding, healing past their attacks or taking the offense to them. Simply because you chose to ignore the multiple counters to shadow magic does not make it overpowered or a serious issue.

Survivor
Feb 03, 2013
13
Now everyone that's ice or life complain because their resist gets pushed off the brink. You guys got your OP time, I'd say it's pretty fair in the moment in being. Fire Wizards/Storm always got pushed around with 101 resist to their schools, 103 at least for fire and 105 to storm. KI balanced it out really good here. 50 pierce still at times doesn't work; we need infallible, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say regular infallible 15% pierce. (105 - 50 - 15 = 40 resist. Still, pierce blade= 31) Still good resist, and shadow shrike shouldn't still be up.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
449
TheRealBlaze on Mar 15, 2014 wrote:
Now everyone that's ice or life complain because their resist gets pushed off the brink. You guys got your OP time, I'd say it's pretty fair in the moment in being. Fire Wizards/Storm always got pushed around with 101 resist to their schools, 103 at least for fire and 105 to storm. KI balanced it out really good here. 50 pierce still at times doesn't work; we need infallible, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say regular infallible 15% pierce. (105 - 50 - 15 = 40 resist. Still, pierce blade= 31) Still good resist, and shadow shrike shouldn't still be up.
The thing about resist is, it has always been counterable. Converts, infallible, armor pierce enchants, and spears made it fairly easy to pierce through 100% resist if you were prepared. My fire, back when resist ruled the game, did this quite a bit. Now, however, resist is useless. 20% base pierce, 15% infallible, and shrike almost always nullify resist. Sure, occasionally the player will still have a small amount. With the ridiculous damage and critical, that won't matter. Kingsisle had the scale tipped toward defense, I agree. However, now the scale is tipped in the opposite direction, and in my opinion, max level pvp is even worse than before. Even grandmasters are affected by shadow spells..my grandmaster balance has battled many shrike users. Shrike takes away one of the only 2 advantages grandmasters have over the average max level, skill and resistance. (Skill only because if a grandmaster is paired with a level 95, they're going to be, on average, pretty low rank.)

Mastermind
Dec 17, 2010
357
Remember, Shadow Magic IS NOT JUST FOR PvP! I use it in boss battles if I ever run into Death Bosses. It is not entirely overpowered because: they get Backlash! Backlash is very dangerous at times. Just because you don't like it does not mean it's horrible. KI is not only looking at your opinion, but at everyone's. Also, stop spamming! Every time I see something related to Khrysalis, your posts always say how bad it is and that is's boring and how bad Shadow Magic is. Stop spamming! We get that you don't like it!

-Nick level 95

Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
38
TheRealBlaze on Mar 15, 2014 wrote:
Now everyone that's ice or life complain because their resist gets pushed off the brink. You guys got your OP time, I'd say it's pretty fair in the moment in being. Fire Wizards/Storm always got pushed around with 101 resist to their schools, 103 at least for fire and 105 to storm. KI balanced it out really good here. 50 pierce still at times doesn't work; we need infallible, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say regular infallible 15% pierce. (105 - 50 - 15 = 40 resist. Still, pierce blade= 31) Still good resist, and shadow shrike shouldn't still be up.
Yes, but you're only focusing on those two schools. Sure, shrike has made it better for fire and storm to handle ice wizards, but that's not the concern. There are other schools who are majorly affected because they don't even have half that resist(Death, Myth, Balance, Life, as well as other fire and storm wizards), so when you do your calculations, don't focus on only two schools, those are the minority. The real problem is that it's eliminating, for the most part, the other school's entire resist.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't mind the shadow school at all. Just trying to better help explain the original poster's issue.

Hero
Dec 16, 2009
772
Aaron SpellThief on Mar 15, 2014 wrote:
The thing about resist is, it has always been counterable. Converts, infallible, armor pierce enchants, and spears made it fairly easy to pierce through 100% resist if you were prepared. My fire, back when resist ruled the game, did this quite a bit. Now, however, resist is useless. 20% base pierce, 15% infallible, and shrike almost always nullify resist. Sure, occasionally the player will still have a small amount. With the ridiculous damage and critical, that won't matter. Kingsisle had the scale tipped toward defense, I agree. However, now the scale is tipped in the opposite direction, and in my opinion, max level pvp is even worse than before. Even grandmasters are affected by shadow spells..my grandmaster balance has battled many shrike users. Shrike takes away one of the only 2 advantages grandmasters have over the average max level, skill and resistance. (Skill only because if a grandmaster is paired with a level 95, they're going to be, on average, pretty low rank.)
All those supposed counters(which took multi turn setups) could be rendered obsolete in a single turn. Converts were often shielded both before and after the spell. Infallible, Pierce Blades etc, negated by a single shield which took ice one round to cast wheras it took all the other schools multiple rounds to set up. Shrike simply evens the playing field(a one turn set-up) and has a large number of counters. As for grandmaster PvP, I agree that is unfortunate but that requires a matching system fix not a nerf to a high lvl wizards abilities. Resist is not near useless against shrike if you do one simple thing...shield.

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011
364
TheRealBlaze on Mar 15, 2014 wrote:
Now everyone that's ice or life complain because their resist gets pushed off the brink. You guys got your OP time, I'd say it's pretty fair in the moment in being. Fire Wizards/Storm always got pushed around with 101 resist to their schools, 103 at least for fire and 105 to storm. KI balanced it out really good here. 50 pierce still at times doesn't work; we need infallible, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say regular infallible 15% pierce. (105 - 50 - 15 = 40 resist. Still, pierce blade= 31) Still good resist, and shadow shrike shouldn't still be up.
There were minuscule amounts of people that actually had immunity. With Shadow magic, a conservative storm (maybe 30 resist) has -20 resist (that's boosting 20%) WITHOUT gear pierce. Ice was never "OP" I was ice during that time. And you can't complain, if its anyone's "turn" its definitely not storm. Storm and fire got their OP time during the waterworks when they had about 10 less resist than ice (the resist school). Then ice became "OP" as people said. Now storm is back? It should have become one of the spirits..but that never seems to happen does it? So lets not talk about how fair it is to be OP now vs later.

Wolf Skullslinger

Hero
Dec 16, 2009
772
Wolf Skullslinger on Mar 17, 2014 wrote:
There were minuscule amounts of people that actually had immunity. With Shadow magic, a conservative storm (maybe 30 resist) has -20 resist (that's boosting 20%) WITHOUT gear pierce. Ice was never "OP" I was ice during that time. And you can't complain, if its anyone's "turn" its definitely not storm. Storm and fire got their OP time during the waterworks when they had about 10 less resist than ice (the resist school). Then ice became "OP" as people said. Now storm is back? It should have become one of the spirits..but that never seems to happen does it? So lets not talk about how fair it is to be OP now vs later.

Wolf Skullslinger
A miniscule amount had immunity and a much larger amount had 80+% resist. As far as I know the "boost" that shows up is a glitch and does not actually increase your attack's power.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4113
Wolf Skullslinger on Mar 17, 2014 wrote:
There were minuscule amounts of people that actually had immunity. With Shadow magic, a conservative storm (maybe 30 resist) has -20 resist (that's boosting 20%) WITHOUT gear pierce. Ice was never "OP" I was ice during that time. And you can't complain, if its anyone's "turn" its definitely not storm. Storm and fire got their OP time during the waterworks when they had about 10 less resist than ice (the resist school). Then ice became "OP" as people said. Now storm is back? It should have become one of the spirits..but that never seems to happen does it? So lets not talk about how fair it is to be OP now vs later.

Wolf Skullslinger
I don't know where you got that idea. 50% pierce of 30% resist or shield = 0% resist PERIOD. 50% pierce of 1% resist = 0 resist PERIOD. There's no boosting like you claim. Pierce only goes through existing shields or resist, it doesn't carry over into boosting your damage. All it does is lower damage reduction caused by shields or resist.

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011
364
Eric Stormbringer on Mar 17, 2014 wrote:
A miniscule amount had immunity and a much larger amount had 80+% resist. As far as I know the "boost" that shows up is a glitch and does not actually increase your attack's power.
I have seen it do more than normal when the "Boost" came up when the game calculated pierce/resist/damage amounts but I guess I could have imagined that, but then it is still legitimate to put up a shield, because it would (if you have any resist) still after piercing the shield, leave some or most of your resist.

Thanks for clarifying,
Wolf Skullslinger

Survivor
Feb 03, 2013
13
Wolf Skullslinger on Mar 17, 2014 wrote:
There were minuscule amounts of people that actually had immunity. With Shadow magic, a conservative storm (maybe 30 resist) has -20 resist (that's boosting 20%) WITHOUT gear pierce. Ice was never "OP" I was ice during that time. And you can't complain, if its anyone's "turn" its definitely not storm. Storm and fire got their OP time during the waterworks when they had about 10 less resist than ice (the resist school). Then ice became "OP" as people said. Now storm is back? It should have become one of the spirits..but that never seems to happen does it? So lets not talk about how fair it is to be OP now vs later.

Wolf Skullslinger
My point is, Fire, Storm, and Ice are the 3 schools I have as a Wiz. In Azteca I was on the verge of deleting my Ice because I couldn't stand how Ice's walk around with immunity to two schools and can pass themselves off as Gods, two schools you can walk around with and not worried about getting touched, also, Fire and Storm are the two highest hitting schools. Ice has been OP since Zafaria, Shadow Shrike balances it. You act like Shadow Magic is obtainable at any level. Usually levels 91-95 get shadow magic. Another thing I don't like about this, is Ice wizards knew that they were getting a bit OP, and continued along with it. Not a single Ice wiz stood up for Fire and Storm, just laughed in our faces. Shadow Shrike made PvP one step closer to being fair and balanced, if anything PvP was never messed up, just people having bad exp. with PvP and got mad about it. I'm most likely deleting my Ice wiz; it serves no purpose to keep him anymore. Fire and Storm remain my two favorite schools, and will continue questing on them both, never paying too much attention to one, and not enough to another.

Survivor
Feb 03, 2013
13
Aaron SpellThief on Mar 15, 2014 wrote:
The thing about resist is, it has always been counterable. Converts, infallible, armor pierce enchants, and spears made it fairly easy to pierce through 100% resist if you were prepared. My fire, back when resist ruled the game, did this quite a bit. Now, however, resist is useless. 20% base pierce, 15% infallible, and shrike almost always nullify resist. Sure, occasionally the player will still have a small amount. With the ridiculous damage and critical, that won't matter. Kingsisle had the scale tipped toward defense, I agree. However, now the scale is tipped in the opposite direction, and in my opinion, max level pvp is even worse than before. Even grandmasters are affected by shadow spells..my grandmaster balance has battled many shrike users. Shrike takes away one of the only 2 advantages grandmasters have over the average max level, skill and resistance. (Skill only because if a grandmaster is paired with a level 95, they're going to be, on average, pretty low rank.)
Let me use something, converts on an Ice=about immunity cut down to 50 resist. C'mon now Aaron, don't put Ice wizards in the dumb seat. No Ice wizard would allow any Fire or Storm wiz to take 5 rounds minimum to pierce; even if you do manage to pierce through it, your damage isn't being boosted. "shrike almost always nullify resist." I beg to differ, on my Storm I use SS a lot in pvp, still leaving my owl reduced to the damage of a Levy, Storm was all about damage, so what happens when we take 5 rounds just to pierce, we're toast. Damage and Critical won't matter, let's take a look at storm shall we? My wiz's friend has 63 storm damage, with a total of 120 block, 199 critical and 12 resist to schools. Good stats right? WRONG! He has a ranking of Private, 400 is his rating. He has to waste his time with piercing, even when the piercing section is done, he still has to boost damage.

tl;dr My point is that converts never worked, never ever. They always shielded.

Survivor
Feb 03, 2013
13
XxMoonMasteryxX on Mar 15, 2014 wrote:
Yes, but you're only focusing on those two schools. Sure, shrike has made it better for fire and storm to handle ice wizards, but that's not the concern. There are other schools who are majorly affected because they don't even have half that resist(Death, Myth, Balance, Life, as well as other fire and storm wizards), so when you do your calculations, don't focus on only two schools, those are the minority. The real problem is that it's eliminating, for the most part, the other school's entire resist.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't mind the shadow school at all. Just trying to better help explain the original poster's issue.
I totally get your point. But there's a flaw in your statement. What was KI gonna do? Give only Fire and Storm these spells, that would be so bias! The average Ice/Life has Immunity to yours truly, Fire and Storm, and a base of 53 to all others. 50% pierce= 3 resist left. Death, Myth, Balance, and Life aren't really the type of big hit schools, I would consider Death & Myth one though, but still, you're looking into a Ice point of view. Ice had their time, didn't say a blob about the resist until SS came along.

Defender
Jan 02, 2011
140
ViciousVenomousVix... on Mar 14, 2014 wrote:
There are no LEGITIMATE coutners for Shadow Magic in the game, stun or make them fizzle that is it really.

Please remove this atrocious new magic from the game as it takes the fun and creativity and whole purpose of the Wizard101 game out of the equation from the door.

Shadow Magic is runing the arena worse than immunity and this issue needs addressed ASAP.

This is an important issue that needs fixed.

There is no strategy with Shadow Magic if you can't make the person fizzle or stun them.

Please fix the arena, this is way out of hand.

Thank you.
Please remove it from the game? The game? You mean PVP. The game isn't just pvp. Pvp is actually only a small part of the game.

And it's not ruining anything, it's just making you have to change the way you PVP, and you obviously don't want to have to change.

Squire
Sep 07, 2011
593
Shadow magic has actually restored some balance. I like the change.

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
175
Sorry to the lot of you that think it's great, but it just simply is awful. I'm not sure how you can think Shadow Magic makes the game fun, becaused it kills the arena fun completely. Make it NO PvP Shadow Magic was a bust and an uncreative way to try to fix the arena, and it failed miserably.

Please take your time with Part 2 of Khrysalis as Part 1 was rather lackluster and the other updates haven't been any better. I apprecaite the hard work and the thought put into this game, but things need to improve, as I'm not impressed at all.

Please nerf Shadow Magic and make it no PVP as this spell does not belong in the arena. 50% pierce is entirely too much, it actually makes som players boost off you when you have less than 50% defense. It's horrible this Shadow Shrike spell.

Remove this spell immediately or fix it, it's killing the arena horribly.

Down with Shadow Magic.

It's awful, no skill, auto-win.

Please fix this Shadow Magic nonsense.

Thank you.

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
175
Nerf Shadow Shrike immiedately but it completely destroys the arena. This is one of the worst thought up ideas of the game, this awful Shadow Magic.

Please nerf Shadow Shrike immediately. It's entirely too powerful and it's taken ALL strategy and FUN out of the arena. Pleae make it NO PVP as it should have been in the first place.

Down with Shadow Magic.

Awful awful UNCREATIVE Shadow Magic.

Please fix this spell as it is blatantly overpowered with very few counters. If stun block is up one less counter.

Fix this spell it's too overpowered. Most overpowered spell in the entire game. Please fix this ASAP.

Thank you.

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
175
The backlash needs to AT LEAST double if people are allowed to 50% resist with little if any consequence.

It's ridiculous and out of hand. They can blade and attack and they take 100 damage. Big wow.

Please fix this spell and actually add a drawback that matters and not make it the overpowered "auto-win" spell that it is now.

This spell in its current form must be eliminated from pvp.

It's killing the arena aspect of the game. Eliminate Shadow Magic immediately from the arena.

Thank you.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4113
Stop spamming the forum with the same rant.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4113
Stop starting new threads for the same tired rant. You have like 4 new threads a day on this same old subject. Learn some forum etiquette.

Hero
Dec 16, 2009
772
The only way backlash is only doing 100 is if they reduced it to 10% AND they happen to be at only 1000 health. Shadow magic has NUMEROUS drawbacks. It is not killing the arena at all. Simply because you refuse to acknowledge the many counters does not mean this spell needs to be nerfed.

Hero
Dec 16, 2009
772
ViciousVenomousVix... on Mar 20, 2014 wrote:
Sorry to the lot of you that think it's great, but it just simply is awful. I'm not sure how you can think Shadow Magic makes the game fun, becaused it kills the arena fun completely. Make it NO PvP Shadow Magic was a bust and an uncreative way to try to fix the arena, and it failed miserably.

Please take your time with Part 2 of Khrysalis as Part 1 was rather lackluster and the other updates haven't been any better. I apprecaite the hard work and the thought put into this game, but things need to improve, as I'm not impressed at all.

Please nerf Shadow Magic and make it no PVP as this spell does not belong in the arena. 50% pierce is entirely too much, it actually makes som players boost off you when you have less than 50% defense. It's horrible this Shadow Shrike spell.

Remove this spell immediately or fix it, it's killing the arena horribly.

Down with Shadow Magic.

It's awful, no skill, auto-win.

Please fix this Shadow Magic nonsense.

Thank you.
You stating that it is horrible and overpowered does not offer any actionable evidence to your cause. We have all given you numerous counters and numerous ways to defeat shadow shrike. Shrike is in no way an auto-win. I have beaten opponents using shrike and I have lost to opponents while using shrike. Shrike is a great addition to PvP and does not need to be nerfed.

1