Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Down with PvP

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
1473
I know this isn't gonna be the most popular thread in this section, but I'm gonna say it: I think Wizard101 should abolish PvP. Now before you stop reading and go directly to leaving an ignorant response to this post, I'd like you to think about the points I've made to support my idea:

1. PvP is drastically flawed. Players of all levels come to PvP; however, KI insists on pairing players by 'ranks'. This is an increasingly alarming problem as Wizard101 expands with the addition of new players every day and the addition of new levels making for stronger wizards. I've experienced and heard so many complaints about the frustration that comes from being paired against wizards that are a lot more experienced than you are just because of a common rank. Of course your only choices are to fight it out and hope that your defeat isn't inevitable or leave and risk losing a great deal of PvP points and even being demoted. It's been suggested a great deal of times that the rank system be changed, but KI still hasn't addressed this issue yet.

2. PvP doesn't help you with the main purpose of the game: the storyline. PvP mainly serves as a distraction to players from the storyline (notice how I didn't say "...who aren't done with the game", because no one has really finished Wizard101). Even if you don't agree with that, you can't deny that PvP does nothing to enhance your character. Yes, you're allowed to buy equipment with the PvP points you gain from winning fights, but the equipment you buy can be pretty lackluster compared to equipment you can buy at the bazaar, from vendors in the different worlds, or (and this is a really crazy idea) get from the monsters you fight. You might ask, "If PvP is so useless, then why aren't you against the Pet Pavillion, too?" That's because in the Pet Pavillion, you upgrade your pets to aid you and even give you spells in battle (no matter how frustrating it is). PvP does nothing to better your Wizard101 experience.

3. (and the most important point for parents) PvP is the breeding ground for unsportsmanlike behavior. PvP is supposed to be a place where players compete for fun, but many get ridiculously competitive for no apparent reason. I personally have heard more offensive and disgusting things in PvP than I've heard anywhere else (and I go to college!). I've even heard some off-color things in PvP that I didn't know about. What really annoys me is what sore losers people can be. On one occasion, I had defeated someone and they wouldn't stop going on about how "I cheated" and how he was gonna "hunt [me] down" and "do horrible things" to me and my family. I left the arena, and by some weird twist of fate he happened to teleport to the same place, where he continued to verbally abuse me. I even went to another realm and he happened to find me again.

I've gotten so tired of these problems that I've stopped playing PvP altogether (so to whatever administrator that was planning on telling me that I don't need to play PvP, I don't). I'm old enough to avoid trouble places like PvP, but the kids that play the game aren't so lucky. We need to make the game more appropriate for them while not sacrificing the necissities for us mature players (like communication), which is why I say that PvP has to go.

Survivor
Aug 08, 2010
4
Why remove it just because you don't like it? I mean, you're obviously not playing it, you said so, so keeping it in or taking it out has no effect on the game for you at all. You're not there to experience any of the points you made. However, many do enjoy it, at least to some extent, or there wouldn't be so many playing it. So by taking it out, you're taking out something that those people do enjoy.

I'm not saying the system isn't flawed or anything like that, but people do still enjoy it.

The only one of your points that I think holds water for a reason to take it out is 3, and the workaround that is to simply make PVP age restricted, not taking it out.

I understand you don't like it, but just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it should be taken out. Even if an overwelming majority don't like it (which isn't the case), it still shouldn't be taken out just for that, since there are those that do, and like you said, it doesn't effect anything you do with the main game. Calling it a distraction is actually a good thing, since sometimes, people want to take a break from the quests and farming of the game.

I've done PVP. I've enjoyed it a few times, and I've got frustrated a few times. But I wouldn't want to take something away from others if they enjoy it, just because I don't.

Delver
Aug 14, 2009
251
Just because you are bad in pvp doesnt mean we should remove it, and pvp isnt a distraction, it is like a break someone takes from the quests and what grands do when they are bored. STOP THE COMPLAINING. I admit, I ain't the best pvper out there, and I do get fustrated and angry when someone laughs in my face when I lose, but GET OVER IT.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
1473
I think the biggest flaw in your argument is your canstant assumption. You assumed, and mentioned several times throughout your response, that I'm against PvP just because "I don't like it". I never mentioned not liking PvP, and if I came off like that you got it all wrong. I just said it's ridiculously flawed and that the problems with PvP have been around for a while, yet KI hasn't rectified any of them. If KI finally managed to revamp PvP, then maybe I'd give it a second chance because it seems like a good idea with horrible execution. It also seems like you assumed that I've never played PvP. Why would I spend my time writing this if I hadn't experienced PvP firsthand? I'm pretty sure I mentioned my experiences with PvP especially in my 3rd point. You also assumed that I wanted to abolish PvP for my own personal gain. It's no gain of mine (as you mentioned, I clearly said I've stopped playing PvP); abolishing PvP would be the gain for the next generation of players who haven't been tainted and/or don't want to be harassed on Wizard101. As I mentioned, PvP is a breeding ground for flaring tempers, ridicule, and downright despicable language. It's where proper internet etiquette and sportsmanship come to die. Abolishing PvP would make Wizard101 a lot cleaner. You say people "enjoy" PvP; people also "enjoy" alcohol, that doesn't mean it's a good idea to keep it around. By the way, you say that people distract themselves from fighting monsters to fight other wizards, who are definitely more powerful and a lot more annoying? Makes perfect sense.

Delver
Mar 15, 2009
203
I agree with point three,I dont care to hear foul language in a game thats made for kids,
I know i can turn off chat or report or ignore them but how many people can i fit on my ignore list how many times do I have to report them.
You say that the players are the MOD's in the game what good is that if the player's are the one's causing the problems in the game?

I know you only got about 120 employee's working for you but maybe you should think about hiring a few people to multi-task as MOD's as part of thier job description.

so far player's being the MOD's DONT WORK! more parents are getting tired of their kids see all the foul language and sex talk on here and very little is being done about it.

So do something soon or all you'll have on you game is a bunch of foul mouth people playing and you will not win any more awards as a kids friendly game.

Survivor
Aug 08, 2010
4
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I think the biggest flaw in your argument is your canstant assumption. You assumed, and mentioned several times throughout your response, that I'm against PvP just because "I don't like it". I never mentioned not liking PvP, and if I came off like that you got it all wrong. I just said it's ridiculously flawed and that the problems with PvP have been around for a while, yet KI hasn't rectified any of them. If KI finally managed to revamp PvP, then maybe I'd give it a second chance because it seems like a good idea with horrible execution. It also seems like you assumed that I've never played PvP. Why would I spend my time writing this if I hadn't experienced PvP firsthand? I'm pretty sure I mentioned my experiences with PvP especially in my 3rd point. You also assumed that I wanted to abolish PvP for my own personal gain. It's no gain of mine (as you mentioned, I clearly said I've stopped playing PvP); abolishing PvP would be the gain for the next generation of players who haven't been tainted and/or don't want to be harassed on Wizard101. As I mentioned, PvP is a breeding ground for flaring tempers, ridicule, and downright despicable language. It's where proper internet etiquette and sportsmanship come to die. Abolishing PvP would make Wizard101 a lot cleaner. You say people "enjoy" PvP; people also "enjoy" alcohol, that doesn't mean it's a good idea to keep it around. By the way, you say that people distract themselves from fighting monsters to fight other wizards, who are definitely more powerful and a lot more annoying? Makes perfect sense.


I absolutely see your side, I just disagree. I know you played PVP, but don't anymore.

BUT, my point was, if I want to play it, and you don't. You can choose not to play it, and it still stay in the game. By taking it out, I can't choose to play it.

Like I said, it can have an age restriction to keep the rudeness etc. away from younger players, and I've ran into rude players, but after experiencing it, if I choose to go back to it, then it's my own fault for subjecting myself to it.

As far as taking a break from fighting monsters to fighting tougher wizards, well yeah, that's good. Monsters can be predictable and easy to beat after a while. Real people aren't so. It can be a challenge. I like challenges.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
1473
I already said, this isn't about me. I'm old enough to make the decision to avoid places like that. I'm not trying to say that young people can't make their own choices; I'm just saying that there are some things that people shouldn't have a choice in especially when there's a lot more wrong then they're is right. If my friends aren't lying to me, PvP hasn't changed much since I stopped playing it, so that has nothing to do with anything. Also if you haven't noticed, rudeness knows no age and in fact it's usually the younger kids that are using foul language and being sore losers, so age restriction doesn't really solve the problem. Plus, PvP age restriction would just be a repeat of open chat age restriction; I've had people who have open chat tell me they're 9-12. The obvious choice is to disable age modification, but what if I decide to give my account to...my 13-year-old cousin for example? That idea doesn't work.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
1473
I'm actually pretty good at PvP, but I stopped playing for the reasons I put in my post. Maybe you should read it again and make sure you comprehend it.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
1473
Delver
Aug 14, 2009
251
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I think the biggest flaw in your argument is your canstant assumption. You assumed, and mentioned several times throughout your response, that I'm against PvP just because "I don't like it". I never mentioned not liking PvP, and if I came off like that you got it all wrong. I just said it's ridiculously flawed and that the problems with PvP have been around for a while, yet KI hasn't rectified any of them. If KI finally managed to revamp PvP, then maybe I'd give it a second chance because it seems like a good idea with horrible execution. It also seems like you assumed that I've never played PvP. Why would I spend my time writing this if I hadn't experienced PvP firsthand? I'm pretty sure I mentioned my experiences with PvP especially in my 3rd point. You also assumed that I wanted to abolish PvP for my own personal gain. It's no gain of mine (as you mentioned, I clearly said I've stopped playing PvP); abolishing PvP would be the gain for the next generation of players who haven't been tainted and/or don't want to be harassed on Wizard101. As I mentioned, PvP is a breeding ground for flaring tempers, ridicule, and downright despicable language. It's where proper internet etiquette and sportsmanship come to die. Abolishing PvP would make Wizard101 a lot cleaner. You say people "enjoy" PvP; people also "enjoy" alcohol, that doesn't mean it's a good idea to keep it around. By the way, you say that people distract themselves from fighting monsters to fight other wizards, who are definitely more powerful and a lot more annoying? Makes perfect sense.
your not always gonna get a good person who is like "Hello, are you doing good, want some cookies? I lost, oh well, have a good day", People have different attitudes and they take it out on other people. There is options to avoid them:

1. Report and ignore

2. Just ignore

3. block pvp chat

As for me, I don't pay mind to them people and its funny when they say "your gonna die noob" and then i pull out a hydra and kill them, so i dont block my pvp chat.

Defender
Jun 03, 2009
103
Thank you for this most important thread though choice is an issue here. I happen to agree with most all of your points.
If this is to be a child friendly game why isn't more done to remove these foul mouthed players and preditors. Pvp is based on nothing but a distraction FOR kings to keep pleayers IN the game pay and playing in ranked matches instead of making improvements and adding more challeges they have pvp and those who happen to think its cool to Feed off other players I happen to have played in pvp and I have a few players with rank and some with some gear but the pvp system has serious FLAWS. so it should be fixed as kings claims to be doing or other thigs put in it place. like something ALL players can take up as a challenge.
What I'm saying here is this we pay to play we have a right to ask for better sevice decent moderators where they are need to be and a game that IS friendly to players of all ages.
AS of now I have a full account (5) grandmasters and a magus and the game has become far to boring to pvp or play anymore. Listen up Kings how many players are you planning to lose before you decide its time to fix whats obviously broken because PVP IS broken remove it or fix it.
Yes we have every right to complain if we pay to play this game get over that.

Survivor
May 09, 2010
43
Delver
Mar 15, 2009
203
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I know this isn't gonna be the most popular thread in this section, but I'm gonna say it: I think Wizard101 should abolish PvP. Now before you stop reading and go directly to leaving an ignorant response to this post, I'd like you to think about the points I've made to support my idea:

1. PvP is drastically flawed. Players of all levels come to PvP; however, KI insists on pairing players by 'ranks'. This is an increasingly alarming problem as Wizard101 expands with the addition of new players every day and the addition of new levels making for stronger wizards. I've experienced and heard so many complaints about the frustration that comes from being paired against wizards that are a lot more experienced than you are just because of a common rank. Of course your only choices are to fight it out and hope that your defeat isn't inevitable or leave and risk losing a great deal of PvP points and even being demoted. It's been suggested a great deal of times that the rank system be changed, but KI still hasn't addressed this issue yet.

2. PvP doesn't help you with the main purpose of the game: the storyline. PvP mainly serves as a distraction to players from the storyline (notice how I didn't say "...who aren't done with the game", because no one has really finished Wizard101). Even if you don't agree with that, you can't deny that PvP does nothing to enhance your character. Yes, you're allowed to buy equipment with the PvP points you gain from winning fights, but the equipment you buy can be pretty lackluster compared to equipment you can buy at the bazaar, from vendors in the different worlds, or (and this is a really crazy idea) get from the monsters you fight. You might ask, "If PvP is so useless, then why aren't you against the Pet Pavillion, too?" That's because in the Pet Pavillion, you upgrade your pets to aid you and even give you spells in battle (no matter how frustrating it is). PvP does nothing to better your Wizard101 experience.

3. (and the most important point for parents) PvP is the breeding ground for unsportsmanlike behavior. PvP is supposed to be a place where players compete for fun, but many get ridiculously competitive for no apparent reason. I personally have heard more offensive and disgusting things in PvP than I've heard anywhere else (and I go to college!). I've even heard some off-color things in PvP that I didn't know about. What really annoys me is what sore losers people can be. On one occasion, I had defeated someone and they wouldn't stop going on about how "I cheated" and how he was gonna "hunt [me] down" and "do horrible things" to me and my family. I left the arena, and by some weird twist of fate he happened to teleport to the same place, where he continued to verbally abuse me. I even went to another realm and he happened to find me again.

I've gotten so tired of these problems that I've stopped playing PvP altogether (so to whatever administrator that was planning on telling me that I don't need to play PvP, I don't). I'm old enough to avoid trouble places like PvP, but the kids that play the game aren't so lucky. We need to make the game more appropriate for them while not sacrificing the necissities for us mature players (like communication), which is why I say that PvP has to go.


I agree with you on most everything but dont remove it fix it. the matching of levels/ranks really stinks and the foul language is really really bad!!
that the main reson i quit playing and I am a warlord got sick of the language rather i won or lost I still got ppl swearingat me.

And yes i mute and reported and ingnore I sould'nt have to do all that is KI would take steps and ban those ppl who cuss in game.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
403
Ok....... i do agree that pvp is basically useless. And that noobs can be rude. But you cant get rid of it becuase your bad at it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
403
Firefrog16 wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I think the biggest flaw in your argument is your canstant assumption. You assumed, and mentioned several times throughout your response, that I'm against PvP just because "I don't like it". I never mentioned not liking PvP, and if I came off like that you got it all wrong. I just said it's ridiculously flawed and that the problems with PvP have been around for a while, yet KI hasn't rectified any of them. If KI finally managed to revamp PvP, then maybe I'd give it a second chance because it seems like a good idea with horrible execution. It also seems like you assumed that I've never played PvP. Why would I spend my time writing this if I hadn't experienced PvP firsthand? I'm pretty sure I mentioned my experiences with PvP especially in my 3rd point. You also assumed that I wanted to abolish PvP for my own personal gain. It's no gain of mine (as you mentioned, I clearly said I've stopped playing PvP); abolishing PvP would be the gain for the next generation of players who haven't been tainted and/or don't want to be harassed on Wizard101. As I mentioned, PvP is a breeding ground for flaring tempers, ridicule, and downright despicable language. It's where proper internet etiquette and sportsmanship come to die. Abolishing PvP would make Wizard101 a lot cleaner. You say people "enjoy" PvP; people also "enjoy" alcohol, that doesn't mean it's a good idea to keep it around. By the way, you say that people distract themselves from fighting monsters to fight other wizards, who are definitely more powerful and a lot more annoying? Makes perfect sense.
your not always gonna get a good person who is like "Hello, are you doing good, want some cookies? I lost, oh well, have a good day", People have different attitudes and they take it out on other people. There is options to avoid them:

1. Report and ignore

2. Just ignore

3. block pvp chat

As for me, I don't pay mind to them people and its funny when they say "your gonna die noob" and then i pull out a hydra and kill them, so i dont block my pvp chat.


Same its hilarious sometimes

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
1473
DanielThunderFlame... wrote:
Ok....... i do agree that pvp is basically useless. And that noobs can be rude. But you cant get rid of it becuase your bad at it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I already said, when I played PvP I was good at it, and that has nothing to do with this. I stopped playing because of the reasons in my post.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
848
Pvp is certainly in need of major revisions. I don't think it should be abolished though. They just need to do a complete overhaul of it to make a much fairer playground for all participants. It is easily exploited in its current form.

Defender
May 31, 2009
116
Akihiro,

I must confess that when I saw the title of your post I assumed it was going to be yet another mindless rant that, to me, sounds a lot like waaaaaaaaahhhh. Fortunately I actually read your post and must say that although I disagree with your "solution", you certainly made some valid points. However, there are a few things to point out that I think are worth mentioning.

1. Pvp is not Broken, nor majorly flawed. I've been playing for quite a while, and though there are some issues that could use looking into, it still can be enjoyable. Also, to your point about opponents being matched by Rank – nothing could be further from the truth. 99% of the time my lvl 29 Warlord gets matched up against lvl 48 and above, Privates to Sergeants. I have faced a few Adept and Magus Warlords and Commanders, but those are so rare. The truth is that matches are based on a combination of things, and while having a low level Warlord against a High Level Noob seems unfair to some, at the end of the day it still usually comes down to who went first. It might not be ideal way to match things, but the other option would be to wait for someone of your rank and level and wait times would increase a Hundred Fold! I do think that the way in which points / rank is figured out right now is a travesty – nothing like fighting for over an hour, against a Grandmaster, going second, and then getting ZERO points for winning – but that is another issue all together.

2. Can’t argue really with this point, but just because something isn’t involved in the MAIN point of something does not mean it has no relevance. It’s fun to do and that should be enough reason to keep it around.

3. Yes, this is a nightmare indeed. Months ago I added my support to a post wanting to block the word NOOB, and then suggested the word CHEATER be blocked as well, and WOW, did I get an earful! I think so many lose sight of the fact that this game is geared to the younger generation and, as a FAMILY FRIENDLY option it should make more effort towards that goal. It’s not about RIGHTS, as some critics of mine asserted, it’s not about being BIG BROTHER, as others pointed out – it’s providing an enjoyable and friendly atmosphere for ALL ages. As such, I agree with those out there that suggest not getting rid of pvp, but doing something to curb what has become an appalling example of sportsmanship to the next generation. My one suggestions would be to maybe add an option in pvp to “summons a MOD” into the arena with you without alerting the other player. Right there, right then, a MOD could do a quick look at the chat and determine if someone has crossed the line. If so – silenced, or banned. If Not, the player calling the MOD gets warned. If it’s complicated, then the real time MOD will report it for further review. The result of this would be to get rid of the few (as a percentage) ruining the game for the many as quickly as possible.

Alas, I’m quite certain my suggestion for number 3, and in fact the whole idea that KI is going to get very strict on curbing the bullies and naer-do-wells, is never going to come to pass for one good reason – the hooligans of the game PAY to play. This game is, after all, a business, and NO business is going to turn away business because there is some higher moral ground to stand on. Call me a cynic, but as long as paying players keep the folks at KI employed, it’s in nobody’s best interest to get rid of too many of them. I wish it weren’t so, but as much as many of us would like to think otherwise, the Spiral has to deal with real world issues too.

Again, I don’t agree with your conclusion that pvp should be removed from the game, but I do think you’re argument has some merit to it in certain parts.

Casp

Survivor
Dec 14, 2009
1
i am a lvl 43, and know matr, if playr's ore just bad with wut thay say, ore not, i love pvp. if you report a playr, it shud not be falls, and gevin a lot of liy,s, he ore she, needs to lren not to, sum haw. thx if you git all that. good game I DO LIKE PVP :)

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
1473
Caspeen wrote:
Akihiro,

I must confess that when I saw the title of your post I assumed it was going to be yet another mindless rant that, to me, sounds a lot like waaaaaaaaahhhh. Fortunately I actually read your post and must say that although I disagree with your "solution", you certainly made some valid points. However, there are a few things to point out that I think are worth mentioning.

1. Pvp is not Broken, nor majorly flawed. I've been playing for quite a while, and though there are some issues that could use looking into, it still can be enjoyable. Also, to your point about opponents being matched by Rank – nothing could be further from the truth. 99% of the time my lvl 29 Warlord gets matched up against lvl 48 and above, Privates to Sergeants. I have faced a few Adept and Magus Warlords and Commanders, but those are so rare. The truth is that matches are based on a combination of things, and while having a low level Warlord against a High Level Noob seems unfair to some, at the end of the day it still usually comes down to who went first. It might not be ideal way to match things, but the other option would be to wait for someone of your rank and level and wait times would increase a Hundred Fold! I do think that the way in which points / rank is figured out right now is a travesty – nothing like fighting for over an hour, against a Grandmaster, going second, and then getting ZERO points for winning – but that is another issue all together.

2. Can’t argue really with this point, but just because something isn’t involved in the MAIN point of something does not mean it has no relevance. It’s fun to do and that should be enough reason to keep it around.

3. Yes, this is a nightmare indeed. Months ago I added my support to a post wanting to block the word NOOB, and then suggested the word CHEATER be blocked as well, and WOW, did I get an earful! I think so many lose sight of the fact that this game is geared to the younger generation and, as a FAMILY FRIENDLY option it should make more effort towards that goal. It’s not about RIGHTS, as some critics of mine asserted, it’s not about being BIG BROTHER, as others pointed out – it’s providing an enjoyable and friendly atmosphere for ALL ages. As such, I agree with those out there that suggest not getting rid of pvp, but doing something to curb what has become an appalling example of sportsmanship to the next generation. My one suggestions would be to maybe add an option in pvp to “summons a MOD” into the arena with you without alerting the other player. Right there, right then, a MOD could do a quick look at the chat and determine if someone has crossed the line. If so – silenced, or banned. If Not, the player calling the MOD gets warned. If it’s complicated, then the real time MOD will report it for further review. The result of this would be to get rid of the few (as a percentage) ruining the game for the many as quickly as possible.

Alas, I’m quite certain my suggestion for number 3, and in fact the whole idea that KI is going to get very strict on curbing the bullies and naer-do-wells, is never going to come to pass for one good reason – the hooligans of the game PAY to play. This game is, after all, a business, and NO business is going to turn away business because there is some higher moral ground to stand on. Call me a cynic, but as long as paying players keep the folks at KI employed, it’s in nobody’s best interest to get rid of too many of them. I wish it weren’t so, but as much as many of us would like to think otherwise, the Spiral has to deal with real world issues too.

Again, I don’t agree with your conclusion that pvp should be removed from the game, but I do think you’re argument has some merit to it in certain parts.

Casp


First, thank you for using correct grammar, and not starting your argument with "your just a soar looser cus you dont know how 2 play pvp! XP" To be honest, your post has me starting to turn on my position to remove PvP (not completely abandoning it, but...) since you do bring up a great solution. You bring up some excellent points and I completely agree with your last opinion (it's not cynicism; it's being realistic): even though parents all over the world would be so happy to see KI really buckle down, I doubt I'll see it any time soon. Thank you for your insightful and lucid rebuttal to my post.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
1473
GOHon0900009 wrote:
i am a lvl 43, and know matr, if playr's ore just bad with wut thay say, ore not, i love pvp. if you report a playr, it shud not be falls, and gevin a lot of liy,s, he ore she, needs to lren not to, sum haw. thx if you git all that. good game I DO LIKE PVP :)


If you could retype your post in English, I'll respond to it.

Survivor
Jul 24, 2010
4
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I know this isn't gonna be the most popular thread in this section, but I'm gonna say it: I think Wizard101 should abolish PvP. Now before you stop reading and go directly to leaving an ignorant response to this post, I'd like you to think about the points I've made to support my idea:

1. PvP is drastically flawed. Players of all levels come to PvP; however, KI insists on pairing players by 'ranks'. This is an increasingly alarming problem as Wizard101 expands with the addition of new players every day and the addition of new levels making for stronger wizards. I've experienced and heard so many complaints about the frustration that comes from being paired against wizards that are a lot more experienced than you are just because of a common rank. Of course your only choices are to fight it out and hope that your defeat isn't inevitable or leave and risk losing a great deal of PvP points and even being demoted. It's been suggested a great deal of times that the rank system be changed, but KI still hasn't addressed this issue yet.

2. PvP doesn't help you with the main purpose of the game: the storyline. PvP mainly serves as a distraction to players from the storyline (notice how I didn't say "...who aren't done with the game", because no one has really finished Wizard101). Even if you don't agree with that, you can't deny that PvP does nothing to enhance your character. Yes, you're allowed to buy equipment with the PvP points you gain from winning fights, but the equipment you buy can be pretty lackluster compared to equipment you can buy at the bazaar, from vendors in the different worlds, or (and this is a really crazy idea) get from the monsters you fight. You might ask, "If PvP is so useless, then why aren't you against the Pet Pavillion, too?" That's because in the Pet Pavillion, you upgrade your pets to aid you and even give you spells in battle (no matter how frustrating it is). PvP does nothing to better your Wizard101 experience.

3. (and the most important point for parents) PvP is the breeding ground for unsportsmanlike behavior. PvP is supposed to be a place where players compete for fun, but many get ridiculously competitive for no apparent reason. I personally have heard more offensive and disgusting things in PvP than I've heard anywhere else (and I go to college!). I've even heard some off-color things in PvP that I didn't know about. What really annoys me is what sore losers people can be. On one occasion, I had defeated someone and they wouldn't stop going on about how "I cheated" and how he was gonna "hunt [me] down" and "do horrible things" to me and my family. I left the arena, and by some weird twist of fate he happened to teleport to the same place, where he continued to verbally abuse me. I even went to another realm and he happened to find me again.

I've gotten so tired of these problems that I've stopped playing PvP altogether (so to whatever administrator that was planning on telling me that I don't need to play PvP, I don't). I'm old enough to avoid trouble places like PvP, but the kids that play the game aren't so lucky. We need to make the game more appropriate for them while not sacrificing the necissities for us mature players (like communication), which is why I say that PvP has to go.


Hey there, thanks for mentioning your thoughts on the subject. After playing different RPGs for over 10 years and this game for a few months, I have to say that the mindset of people who play this game is that the end result is what is desired. While that is definitely one approach to take, I don't think it is the most appreciated mindset to have in an RPG. The more appropriate mindset to have when playing an RPG is enjoying the journey. I'm going to touch on that topic in a bit. Let me first address your points.

1. You believe that "PvP is drastically flawed." That is of course, your opinion, of course. I would disagree. There is a lot of different strategy involved based on the situation. It's a lot of fun figuring out strategies against people, as opposed to the AI for the "mobs" that we go up against. It is typically intriguing and challenging. Therefore, I appreciate the aspect of PvP and I am very good at it because I understand the functions of the game between offense, defense and understanding your situation on what your strengths and weaknesses are for your particular wizard and his/her class.

2. Things that this game allows us to participate in are just options. Technically, I don't have to play this game. I typically work - at a university. So, usually, I'm not even in the game anymore except at nights and weekends! It doesn't have to enhance your storyline for the aspect of PvP to be considered "fun." That in itself is the "meaning" behind it. If it is not fun, then don't do it (which of course is your opinion and you are entitled to it). In a sense, I don't even read the storylines anymore after getting to grandmaster on my first wizard. They are all the same EXCEPT for the class storylines which do differ. While the storyline was intriguing initially when playing Wizard101, it's completely irrelevant to me now that I've already read it before.

3. In any game, you are going to get sore losers and whiners. Let me repeat that, but with emphasis of "IN ANY GAME." My question is - why does it bother you what a complete stranger says/writes to you? Why do you value that person's opinion that extent? Perhaps that is an area you may want to evaluate for yourself. Now, in regards to those people who are sore losers - it is absolutely comical to me. This guy is asking me to let him win during the countdown and during the match. I do not reply to him because all I care about is that it is a good match because that is part of the challenge/excitement for me. My opponent only focuses on winning. When he ends up losing, he calls me a "noob." Cool. So, if I am a "noob" and I beat you, what exactly does that make you? That's exactly what I told him. Basically, I am having fun with him. For stuff like that, you just need to have fun with it. You mention other people take this stuff so seriously... okay...? So, play around with it! That doesn't mean you need to be so serious as to propose that you want to abolish PvP.

To sum up, PvP doesn't work for you. But, it is fun for a lot of other people. That's what this thread is all about.