Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Disabling Critical in PvP Only

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 16, 2011
I don't know how this just came to my mind (I just got killed in 2 rounds by a storm who critical 2 max wild bolts in a quick match tournament) but wouldn't it be best for everyone to just completely disable critical in PvP?
Critical, for me at least, just doesn't seem necessary for an environment such as the arena. PvP to me should NEVER have so many RNG factors that it can completely obliterate one's shot at winning a match. By removing critical from the PvP system, we can at least establish a decent skill gap and give an opening to address balance issues (see what I did there?) in further updates. Being "lucky" shouldn't have as much of a factor as critical does in literally every match in this current meta.
Other RNG factors such as accuracy, pip chance, pip conversion, stun resistance, etc., don't even manage to be as much of an X Factor as critical does. Even shadow pip chance, in my opinion, doesn't size up to critical. Sure shadow enhanced spells are powerful, but practically any spell with a critical can completely and instantly change a match's momentum to make it so that it's excruciatingly difficult to regain control.
And honestly, if PvP with critical being banned were to be tested, I feel like it would attract a lot of people. It could even start out in test realm in tournaments and then brought into live realm where it could then be implemented into ranked play. OR, for a more slow implementation and allowing more feedback if needed, become a new type of tournament first and then be brought over to ranked.
Tell me about your opinions on this! And please, keep it friendly!

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
Critical is fine , you can dispel storm for the same pips as his bolt is using. What level is this also? anything past 100 no one will be blocking critical hits. This gives all schools an edge when hitting with a critical. the problem with pvp is everyone knows everyone's school from the icon in the battle orders menu chat that should be changed over doing anything to the critical system.

Now 114 critical on a level 5 with rampage is priceless :)

Survivor
Sep 16, 2011
masterryan1969 on Dec 31, 2018 wrote:
Critical is fine , you can dispel storm for the same pips as his bolt is using. What level is this also? anything past 100 no one will be blocking critical hits. This gives all schools an edge when hitting with a critical. the problem with pvp is everyone knows everyone's school from the icon in the battle orders menu chat that should be changed over doing anything to the critical system.

Now 114 critical on a level 5 with rampage is priceless :)
I am referencing practically any level. The point is that there shouldn't be a way to up the damage of an attack by just being lucky enough to critical a spell and then be lucky enough to land. It's not really giving all schools an edge but rather giving each player an RNG crutch to rely on.
Bonus damage with no skill will literally decide match outcomes easily, and there is no reasonable way to counter it without relying on a second RNG crutch (critical block). Match outcomes need to be reliant on strategy, not the luck of the draw. Not to mention, critical heals are an issue as well.
In my opinion, seeing someone's school through the battle menu is nowhere close to being a problem as in every game there is always a way to know what class someone is using. What was a problem back then was being able to see the schools in the PvP Ranked kiosk, which was of course changed as people could easily set for you.
As for critical on a level 5, yeah it sounds fun to use critical against people who can't block. But critical wasn't meant to be on a level 5. It gives too much of an unfair advantage when one does critical, this being at whatever level you're playing at.