Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Defeated defeated defeated

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Sep 24, 2011
I don't have a pvp rank because I have lost to a warlord uncountable times. It doesn't matter if your max lvl the warlords have super high resist and damage. I understand the fact they pair a warlords with people high lvl then them but it doesn't make a difference. So my idea is to pair up warlords with warlords and people that don't have a rank with each other. Of they did this I might actually stand a tiny chance.

Thanks a bunch
Sophia Sparklestone

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
SophiaSparklstone on Mar 26, 2014 wrote:
I don't have a pvp rank because I have lost to a warlord uncountable times. It doesn't matter if your max lvl the warlords have super high resist and damage. I understand the fact they pair a warlords with people high lvl then them but it doesn't make a difference. So my idea is to pair up warlords with warlords and people that don't have a rank with each other. Of they did this I might actually stand a tiny chance.

Thanks a bunch
Sophia Sparklestone
If this was implemented into ranked pvp, it would create a rank wall that would be near impossible to get past at a certain rank. I strongly dislike this idea. Higher levels have huge advantages. Use them, and you will win. Don't, and you'll lose. It's as simple as that.

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011

Thanks a bunch
Sophia Sparklestone
I kinda agree with this. I have no issue at all with this idea but the fact that it may take a little longer than usual to find a match. Other than that, I agree.

Survivor
Apr 23, 2009
Well, what they excel with in resist, damage, and pip chance, they lack in health. It doesn't matter if you're a low level, either. They will always be a lower level if they fight a Private.

There's also a few tips any good PvPer would follow.

1. Don't PvP with a baby pet! Baby pets give no stat boosts. Spell Proof and Spell Defy are nice ways to get resist up. Get your damage up with talents like Pain-Giver or something else. You can also train your pet to cast lots of spells. May cast Infallible is good for breaking through resist and shields. May cast Fairy can be the difference between defeat and victory.

2. Treasure cards are not cheating! If they were, they would have been taken out a long time ago. Everyone can get treasure cards, so you may as well use them to their fullest. There's people who may call you a "cheater" or a "tc noob" for doing so, but they're just a bit jealous they don't feel like spending the gold on them. Also, people like to report others for doing so. If they report you, please know it's a false report. Don't be scared about it and don't report them back, as that's also a false report.

3. Try to get gear that offers a balance between damage and resist. Health is not as important as resist. This also depends on your school. Fire and Storm should focus a bit more on damage than health or resist. Life should have more resist to be able to survive and heal others.

4. If you're not good in 1v1, try another type like 2v2, 3v3, or 4v4. This way, other schools could help you out. With a Life student on your team, you can focus more on attacking than staying alive. With a Balance on your team, you can blade up faster. Other schools can really pull out their skills to help you win.

Now, on your note about the matching system. Sometimes there aren't enough people your level and rank to match you against. Instead of never finding you a match, they simply pair you with lower levels with higher rank. It's more fair than you know.

Delver
Jan 21, 2014
i am not a member but i think its ok, because i have a friend that is soooooo he shows me the ranked boards and you are right about that, he is a overlord and gets pared up with NOOBS

sincerly
isaac goldheart

"to help others, you must help youreself, even if change is enevitable"

Survivor
Oct 19, 2009
If you want to kill lower lvl warlords, you just need to get more pierce. They need that resist because their health is so low. All you have to do is pierce through the resist and you can easily one shot them. They usually have around 45% universal resist, so if you use infallible, pierce blade, pierce enchant (or maybe pierce blade tc if you don't have the enchant), you would get them down to around 5% to 10% resist. From there you can easily one shot them.
Hope this helps, Seth Fireblade Lvl 95

Survivor
Feb 22, 2009
I agree. I been losing to magus wizards when I'm a level 70 just because they have crazy resist and a spell of mine can't even scratch them even with a 20 pierce enchant. They spam weaknesses and tower shields and when I actually get a warlord almost dead it's pet heals itself. It's quite frustrating. When I get matched up with another player who has the exact same kind of gear I have, I win. But not enough people who have my rank and gear even play because we get into a match with a warlord. There's not much we can do.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010

Thanks a bunch
Sophia Sparklestone
Sophia,

Thehy already tried this, and everyone screamed that they couldn't get a match.
So, KI changed it to the way it is, so you didn't have to wait several hours or more,
to get a match.
They try to match you up with your level to start with, but if no one is there, they keep
expanding the search ring. Finally, if someone is in the que long enough, they will
get matched wtih just about anyone it seems.
I have one question for you, how many Practice Matches did you go into,
maybe 75, or was it 100? It takes a long time to get a solid stategy and your
deck balanced for flow. I see many people go for 10 Practice and think they
are ready for Ranked, a mistake imo.

All I can say, if you are losing a lot of Ranked, I would drop back to Practice,
and make sure you are winning 3 of 4 matches at a minimum before returning
to ranked. Ranked will always be alot harder, and you have to play fast, and
know what the opponent can do, or may do.

good luck.

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011

Thanks a bunch
Sophia Sparklestone
If you work on your strategy, you'll soon be beating those Warlords. You just have to find out something that works for you in PvP.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
I was the same as you a while back, frustrated and loosing. Almost all of us start out that way. I was great at PVE, and thought that would make me great in PVP too. Not so! PVP is a different game entirely, and it takes a lot more preparation of gear, pets, strategy, and cunning to be effective in PVP. At first, it seems unfair, as if every opponent is a "cheating boss." They aren't. They are just real, thinking people who also really want to win.

My own turn-around was when I stopped being frustrated, and started paying attention to what the other players -- who were beating me -- were doing. How did they beat me? Obviously, they had found winning strategies. So, by paying attention to what they were doing, I could see how to win myself. "Turn about is fair play" as the saying goes. What were they doing that I could also do? What are the strengths in their gear and pets that I could develop for myself?

On the "Chivalry" thread I just put a long post about the things I noticed that helped me. A few others there have also posted some good tips, as well as offering help to another player who was struggling, and seems to be deciding now to stop being mad about it, and start learning how to play PVP effectively. Maybe this would help you too.

Good luck! Keep at it. Sooner or later you will figure out a style of play that works well for you.

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
Aaron SpellThief on Mar 26, 2014 wrote:
If this was implemented into ranked pvp, it would create a rank wall that would be near impossible to get past at a certain rank. I strongly dislike this idea. Higher levels have huge advantages. Use them, and you will win. Don't, and you'll lose. It's as simple as that.
Yea, thats the problem with this idea. So difficult to find solutions in pvp lol.

Defender
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks a bunch
Sophia Sparklestone
Sophia,

Over on Central, there are groups that will help you learn PvP. I strongly suggest that you contact them,
and ask them for some help. They will tell you what gear, etc to use, after they watch your playstyle.
Then they will suggest how to set up your deck and sidedeck, and how to play it.
They will practice with you for as long as you need it, and they are really helpful.
They will often help you with your pet, and hatch with you to get the talents that you need.

I find that overall, what people need is more experience, and when they get this,
they tend to start to rank up.
It was a slow process for me, it took me hundrends of PvP matches, before I was
able to figure out the right combos and when to use them. When you can start guessing
when the player is trying to do to you, you can then learn to counter it.
It's the idea's like this that start to form, that will be so helpful as you learn to pvp.

Best of luck.