Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Death pvp

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 28, 2009
hey guys. I got my level 60 death to commander a couple months ago, then decided to take a little break from wizard101. Then i decided to start playing again! But when i started pvping again I'm doing horrible! i use to be commander and now I'm down to knight already. Im in full commander gear anyone got any ideas that could help me out? Thanks :D

Wolf
Level 60
Legendary Death

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Magic,

Death is hard to win with after Wintertusk, Death may have been hurt more than any other Wizard (along with Ice's DOT).
Before Wintertusk we had Posion and Skeleton Dragon, but both of those spells have been crushed with Triage. Add to that we can no longer put up a Death shield for very long and then heal, because of Shatter (and earthquake with the Myth amulet).

Death has to play a long pvp game to weaken and slowly wear down the oppenent. To do this we need to live long enought to do it.
We have Infection and you have to learn Weakness, if you haven't.
I would suggest that you get the Life Amulet and learn Life up to Satyr.
Yes, we can heal ourselves, but with the huge hits now from Fire and Myth, it's is really needed, I find. I have quit 1v1 with my Death, as it really cannot win from second against Fire, Myth, Ice or in most cases Balance.
The Life and Myth Amulets are now on most wizards in PvP.

If you get into the point where your oppenent has no or is low on pips and you are at 10 or 11 pips, bring out your minion. Make sure your health is close to being maxed at this point.
Make sure you have learned the Ice Tower Shield, as you will need that for sure.
I expect that you have learned Gargantuan, if not you gotta have it.
If you learn reshuffle, then you must have Ghost with it.
Vengence is a must for healing, make sure you learn this spell for a number of reasons. You always want to try for a Critical heal, after taking a big hit.
Make sure you plan out your combos against the aveage resistance of 35% or so, as you will at least need to adjust for this value.
Make sure to place your infection, weakness and shields at the correct time, unless you plan on just spamming them. Just remember that a good player will just slowly remove them, if you spam them. Timming is critical to winning, so you need to at least follow the basic rules of placement.

Make sure to have the Water Works gear, as these clothes do help.
If you can get into and out of the Tower of the Helephant a few times, maybe you can get the Ring and Athame. These will help with a Death, depending on your setup.

If you can work up a strategy with Empower (hits you 250 for three pips), this can work out very well in PvP. It can help in a number of ways, so think about adding this, but be careful with it and only use it to gain an advantage.

Death is currently weak with 1v1, and I would suggest that you find a partner and 2v2 with a death. Or par with a Wizard that has a good low Pip Ring to use. Death's Doom and Gloom is a great ring, but is seldom used, and can't complete with Ice, Myth, Fire, etc.

Just a few items off the top of my head, good luck.

Joe,
Joseph LionHunter. (Ice, Balance, Storm and Death Legendary).

Delver
Aug 30, 2011
Lion359 wrote:
Magic,

Death is hard to win with after Wintertusk, Death may have been hurt more than any other Wizard (along with Ice's DOT).
Before Wintertusk we had Posion and Skeleton Dragon, but both of those spells have been crushed with Triage. Add to that we can no longer put up a Death shield for very long and then heal, because of Shatter.

Death has to play a long pvp game to weaken and slowly wear down the oppenent. To do this we need to live long enought to do it.
We have Infection and you have to learn Weakness, if you haven't.
I would suggest that you get the Life Amulet and learn Life up to Satyr.
Yes, we can heal ourselves, but with the huge hits now from Fire and Myth, it's is really needed, I find. I have quit 1v1 with my Death, as it really cannot win from second against Fire, Myth, Ice or in most cases Balance.
The Life and Myth Amulets are now on most wizards in PvP.

If you get into the point where your oppenent has no or is low on pips and you are at 10 or 11 pips, bring out your minion. Make sure your health is close to being maxed at this point.
Make sure you have learned the Ice Tower Shield, as you will need that for sure.
I expect that you have learned Gargantuan, if not you gotta have it.
If you learn reshuffle, then you must have Ghost with it.
Vengence is a must for healing, make sure you learn this spell for a number of reasons. You always want to try for a Critical heal, after taking a bit hit.
Make sure you plan out your combos against the aveage resistance of 35% or so, as you will at least need to adjust for this value.
Make sure to place your infection, weakness and shields at the correct time, unless you plan on just spamming them. Just remember that a good player will just slowly remove them, if you span them. Timming is critical to winning, so you need to at least follow the basic rules of placement.

Death is currently weak with 1v1, and I would suggest that you find a partner and 2v2 with a death. Or par with a Wizard that has a good low Pip Ring to use. Death's Doom and Gloom is a great ring, but is seldom used, and can't complete with Ice, Myth, Fire, etc.

Just a few items off the top of my head, good luck.

Joe,
Joseph LionHunter. (Ice, Balance, Storm and Death Legendary).

Actually, I think Ice and Life comes with Death too, of slowly rubbing off the bad guy's strength. Unlike Storm that pwns them in just a few shots, these schools aren't that powered up.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Fin3cy6 wrote:
"Actually, I think Ice and Life comes with Death too, of slowly rubbing off the bad guy's strength. Unlike Storm that pwns them in just a few shots, these schools aren't that powered up. "

Fin3cy6,

I agree with that, but Death does have Skeleton Dragon for 1010 over three rounds. It had plenty of hit before Wintertusk and lost a about 30-50% or more depending on when Triage is used. Life gained in Wintertusk and Waterworks.

So what I was trying to say in my posting, is that Death and Ice both got hurt more than any other Wizards in the Wintertusk release.

Traiage and Shatter hurt the Death Wizard in many ways, which had already been hurt by the Myth Amulet.
In my opinion, this effectively took Ice and Death out of 1v1 and allowed Fire and Myth to take the top spots.

I understand that everyone was crying over Ice being hard to beat, but they hurt Death even more when they did the updates. Imo the updates were very unfair to Death, but they did stop all the crying over Ice.

Joe.

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
Well, I'm a death wizard, and I don't exactly do "crying".
But, Death really got hurt, and somehow Fire and Myth got good in single PvP.
Odd with Conviction and Triage running amok.

I give Kingsisle kudos for taking away Ice's extreme power with universal resist by giving it to every school and introducing criticals. But, I'm curious, what's going to make Death better with the next set of updates?

Death had a brief period to wreak havoc in PvP somewhere in between the Waterworks and Wintertusk updates. The reason for this is because all the other schools gained something useful with the new spells, but all death got was a sorry excuse for a Balanceblade that hurts you for more then it's worth and a huge weakness that's too pip costly to be anything more then moderately useful.

There's a reason you don't see Death warlords sitting in the arena while you wait for a match.

Explorer
May 09, 2011
I greatly agree, I am a Death legendary constantly finding new strategy for PvP, I am training pets. I have all my Waterworks gear, and Tower Of The Helephant gear. I agree, Death is becoming very rare to get Warlord, and I have one friend that is one. Most of the times I PvP 2v2 with my Ice friend, Death and Ice are a very good combination. Also, I have to be careful with the fizzling, I am starting to get fizzling more than usual, my luck. Well, my advice is to 2v2, Ice and Death, if you could. Good Luck. :-)

-Mason D.