Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Critical too strong for block?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 27, 2008
I have a question on the Critical I mean yea I'm life level 82 Life my block rating is 113 sometimes I don't but some people have over 198 or higher ratings and when their rating is super high or if they use vengeance it seems to stop my block all together I just wanna know is that just luck or is it making the critical strong enough to ignore my block?

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
dionwhite on Jan 27, 2013 wrote:
I have a question on the Critical I mean yea I'm life level 82 Life my block rating is 113 sometimes I don't but some people have over 198 or higher ratings and when their rating is super high or if they use vengeance it seems to stop my block all together I just wanna know is that just luck or is it making the critical strong enough to ignore my block?
From what i have heard, the calculations for critical are like adding and subtracting, the more critical the attacker has over the block that the defender has, that is the chance of a successful critical. I hope that made sense.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Critical and critical block can be raised with the gear you equip along with the other options. If you're not blocking, you might want to check out different gear.

Survivor
Oct 24, 2010
i agreed cause there people with 350+ critical percent and without vengence

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
113 is still a danger number - get your block rating to 170+ and you will notice a big difference. I am sitting at 200 on all schools I have never had a critical land on me pvp or pve.

Cheers,

Explorer
Aug 23, 2012
Block hardly means anything anymore. Storms can get 350 crit+, because crafted gear gives 225 alone. There is also a wand that gives 100 critical, boots that give 60, (Greenwardens brilliant boots), and pets that I have seen give up to 26 critical. When you add this up, it is almost 400. Storms critical needs to be debuffed.

Explorer
Nov 17, 2012
hmm I sometimes hear that people are gonna quit wizard101 because of critical reaching over 400,but i wouldn't quit one of my favorite online games in the world besides free realms lol. (Blaze Moonmender promethean)

Defender
Sep 29, 2008
I agree the criticals go really high now i guess its a criticals cycle next world will probably be all bout blocking criticals like zafaria was i find it annoying i can only get my block so high though at around 230 and storms be running around with over 400 crit lol.

Defender
Mar 19, 2011
Critical: in avalon,Zafaria,Azteca is useless and PvP.

Come on guys now we are raging over critical again since Celestia?
Critical can be avoided by either farming for wyrd-oak staff, Using conviction, having Avalon Crafted boots
Now if it's in the case of Heals You're screwed
Use convictions or (Doom And Gloom at your own safety )

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
Well I have been recently trying out a more offensive side of me in pvp, by offensive I mean having 300+ critical. I was once battling a wiz with about 120 crit block, first he blocked all my attacks but later some of them slipped by and then about 3/4 of the time he did not block. Don't get me wrong though, I was once in a long match with this other guy, criticaled probably every single time without block, but when I casted my winning spell, block! And I lost.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Dionwhite,

Let me give you an example of how I believe that Critical and critical block work, it most likely not what you would expect.
If someone has 300 critical and the other person has 220 Critical block, the criticals will not hit every time.
The person with 300 critical may go critical around 50% of the time, but the critical number that is generated is not 300, it appears to be a random number from 0 to 300. The person with Critical Block will generate a number between 0 and 220.
This is why a person with a Critical of 500 can be blocked with a critical block of 190. I have done a lot of testing on Critical and Critical block, and this is how it seems to work. I have brought my Storm wizard up to a critical of ~415 and have had it blocked by a wizard at 120 block. I have had my storm wizard at 100 critical and had it pass a wizard with 120 block. So the number that is generated at the time of the attack, has to be random, imo.

Vergnence just increased the Critical rating, so it will be more often to critical and have a higher number that could be used when the random number is calculated.

This is how I see it works, if anyone has additional information or has done testing, I would really like to see it.