Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Critical limits

AuthorMessage
Squire
Aug 04, 2009
I was playing pvp on balance right, first turn the storm person on there side tempests with gargantuan criticals first round does 2k damage then next round gragantuan tempest critical again and we all dead, is that fair no storm is over powered. How ever from this display i came up with a solution to these problems

Simply make it so that you can only critical if you are using 4 pips or more. This will keep balance from using a one powerpip judge that will do close to 1k damage or a tempest that will do 2k damage on the first turn. And just also a critical isn't as dramatic if its a low pip spell. While i can see it would be difficult for healing, but still should a pixie really be able to heal 2k. Critical is a very new thing to wizard and its not been controlled much so this is my idea to make it fair and keep it under control

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
thorvon65 wrote:
I was playing pvp on balance right, first turn the storm person on there side tempests with gargantuan criticals first round does 2k damage then next round gragantuan tempest critical again and we all dead, is that fair no storm is over powered. How ever from this display i came up with a solution to these problems

Simply make it so that you can only critical if you are using 4 pips or more. This will keep balance from using a one powerpip judge that will do close to 1k damage or a tempest that will do 2k damage on the first turn. And just also a critical isn't as dramatic if its a low pip spell. While i can see it would be difficult for healing, but still should a pixie really be able to heal 2k. Critical is a very new thing to wizard and its not been controlled much so this is my idea to make it fair and keep it under control

sounds like a horrible solution that would only end up favoring some classes over the other without making a bit of difference

you can lower everyone's damage in the arena based upon table size, and can make criticals harder to hit but to eliminate criticals takes away players entire builds in terms of how they actually play the game, even if people didn't critical they would still get five blades up on themselves in a hurry and hit just as hard and harder

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
Perhaps a better solution to this type of onslaught would be to add avoidance into the game, which is a players as well as a monsters chance of avoiding being hit to be based only upon their school and level... I would likely give both ice and storm a decent amount of avoidance which would in a way protect storm a bit more from their insane bolt backfires, death would have the least avoidance followed by myth and fire, life would have a decent amount as they tend to be heavily targetted and could use it, at level sixthy avoidance could range from 20% for death up to 40% for ice.

not sure about this idea, but thought I would toss it out there

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
If avoidance were added, as I just wrote about, I think it should apply only against attack all attacks such as against tempest and dragons and the like and not against one vs. one attacks such as leviathan and helephant are.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
I can see this but I mean its a solution to something problamatic do you know how many storm students now a days just use a treasure gargantuan on a tempest and just will autmatically win because of critical and i dont see how it favors other schools storm can tempest with 4 pips, plus its not like it will affect people that use 4 pip spell often because you cant even gain critical until level 50. Just a one power pip tempest that can do 700 damage to all on its own and do up to 2k critical is just disgusting, it nots favoring other schools its just making storm a little less godly than they already are.

Survivor
Aug 09, 2009
Well here's one...I never knew that Insane Bolt was in the GAME.. This guy used it 3 straight times NO FIZZLE and I was dead......Whats that all about.....

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
100% critical damage is a bit high, and so is plus 80% damage with six to eight different stackable blades where only a few of them even cost a pip to place. I wouldn't be against criticals dropping to +50% damage rather than +100% and I also would not be against limitting the number of blades that can be stacked at a time.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Conviction, adds 90 to critical block, storm shields, blocks from 70-90% storm attacks, raise the critical block on your character!

Everyone has ways to not get hit by critical attacks, so, why must you complain that you lost because of them?

Except your loss and move on!

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
darthjt wrote:
Conviction, adds 90 to critical block, storm shields, blocks from 70-90% storm attacks, raise the critical block on your character!

Everyone has ways to not get hit by critical attacks, so, why must you complain that you lost because of them?

critical blocking on your character will help a little but won't by any means block everything, and conviction, storm shields, and the like are of no comfort when you go last and get hit hard or killed on the first turn before you even have a chance to play them

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
darthjt wrote:

Dart the topic is about doing like 2k damage on the first turn lol. I always take my loses when i see something that is at fault I talk about it and thats it. Tell me how is it possible to use conviction if your going second and its the first turn and a storm would use a tempest or something?? like honestly.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
thorvon65 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Dart the topic is about doing like 2k damage on the first turn lol. I always take my loses when i see something that is at fault I talk about it and thats it. Tell me how is it possible to use conviction if your going second and its the first turn and a storm would use a tempest or something?? like honestly.

Well, you may not be able to cast conviction before they go, but you can get the lifeforce blade as a drop, that adds 30 to critical block, there are rings and athames that add to critical block, gear adds to critical block. You can get critical block easily enough!

As for critical points, it is not a %, it is a number based on 500, so if you are storm and have 150 critical hit points, that does not give you 150% chance of critical hit! Like some people have said, it gives you like 35% chance.

Anyway, the critical system is a good system, but you have to get the stuff to block it. Same goes for your team, you can critical too, even unicorn can heal for mass damage right off the bat with a critical, so what's to complain about?

If you get your critical blocks up enough, they will hardly ever go through, even without using conviction!

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
I personally don't believe the team that goes first should be able to use attack cards on the very first turn. If it were programmed that they could not do so, both sides would be capable of setting up some defenses before initially being hit.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
darthjt wrote:
thorvon65 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Well, you may not be able to cast conviction before they go, but you can get the lifeforce blade as a drop, that adds 30 to critical block, there are rings and athames that add to critical block, gear adds to critical block. You can get critical block easily enough!

As for critical points, it is not a %, it is a number based on 500, so if you are storm and have 150 critical hit points, that does not give you 150% chance of critical hit! Like some people have said, it gives you like 35% chance.

Anyway, the critical system is a good system, but you have to get the stuff to block it. Same goes for your team, you can critical too, even unicorn can heal for mass damage right off the bat with a critical, so what's to complain about?

If you get your critical blocks up enough, they will hardly ever go through, even without using conviction!

Honestly Dart.. I see this all the time just because its not your opinion doesnt mean its crying or whining.. Its a response to whats going on. And getting block doesnt mean that the critical still wont happen. There are people that do that every PvP, 4v4 all storm first turn everyone garg tempest and other team loses.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
thorvon65 wrote:
darthjt wrote:
thorvon65 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Honestly Dart.. I see this all the time just because its not your opinion doesnt mean its crying or whining.. Its a response to whats going on. And getting block doesnt mean that the critical still wont happen. There are people that do that every PvP, 4v4 all storm first turn everyone garg tempest and other team loses.

Same can be said for other schools, Fire has a very devastating Meteor, Myth Has a very powerful Frog, Balance has a nasty SandStorm that loves to Critical all the time!

Life and Death are the only ones that can't hit all right off the bat! However, life can heal right off the bat, for over 1000 health!

I know what goes on in PvP, I am not blind. However, there is one easy solution if you can't figure out a way to stop the 4 storms from hitting you with critical all the time! Play 1v1 or 2v2, that totally solves the problem!

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
Here's your problem. You get hit with criticals but you do not want to change your gear selection to compensate, instead you come here to try and change the whole system so you can win more at pvp. You label one fight you had as a constant in the arena. I don't see this as being a big problem at all, why should KI change the whole game because you lost once at pvp?

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
travisAk wrote:
Here's your problem. You get hit with criticals but you do not want to change your gear selection to compensate, instead you come here to try and change the whole system so you can win more at pvp. You label one fight you had as a constant in the arena. I don't see this as being a big problem at all, why should KI change the whole game because you lost once at pvp?

Not asking Wizard101 to change the whole game, just to seperate out PvP from the game a bit and make adjustments based upon matches being 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4.

Criticals are less of a problem with adequate critical blocking gear, but the more players at a table the more likely a critical mass attack will get through on starting turns when no defenses have time to exist. Resistances have gone up to where players have around 30% resist all, but damage has gone up to where players have 70 to 90% damage bonus plus around 130 to 150 critical ratings while player health has largely remained unchanged. There are more defense and damage reduction cards now, but they take time to set up, while stackable blades have gone way up in number not to even mention a multitude of blade casting pets. All this leads to pure onslaught in the team PvP matches.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
Its not changing the system.. Honestly some of you guys take this way to personal... Its an idea to fix a pretty new thing to pvp. Like really its not complaining i'm sorry if you guys all rely on criticaling tempest or whatever spell you use. If you disagree. you disagree. If you have an actual valid arguement against share it but i really dont care to read anything if you guys just say its complaining. If you read some of your guy's post thats all your doing and its just rude like really. If you read the actual post i dont get how you get out of it that i'm just ranting and whining??

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Okay, first off, you complain about storm using tempest and hitting critical. Storm does not have DOT spells, you have to train fire elf and buy the treasure to have this feature. Or, you can get a storm hound or storm elf pet, both only come with 1 card.

So, that being said, storm shields are easy to come by. Critical Block Rating is easy to get. Storm has the least amout of Health! Every School can train tower shield and buy treasure tower shield.

How much more do you want to handicap storm?

Then you stated that life can heal with a fairy! First off, it heals 420, 840 with critical, now, with different gear, rings, and athames, yes, it can heal for a lot more. However, Life has the critical heal ability, unless the other schools decide to give up their resistances. Life, now, finally, has a hit all spell for 8 pips, but there are life shields, life dispel, life does not get a DOT spell at all. With all the other schools doing all this damage, Life needs to heal with the flow, since they are life!

How much more do you want to handicap life?

Simply put, if you don't come up with a good point, I lost because of this is not a good point, then to me, you are just complaining.

Then you just suggest that criticals be only made for 4 pip or more spells! Does that even sound fair? No it doesn't. Be realistic and make us take you seriously, otherwise, it just sounds like you are whining because you lost.

That is my opinion on the matter!

Armiger
May 10, 2010
seasnake wrote:
travisAk wrote:

Not asking Wizard101 to change the whole game, just to seperate out PvP from the game a bit and make adjustments based upon matches being 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4.

Criticals are less of a problem with adequate critical blocking gear, but the more players at a table the more likely a critical mass attack will get through on starting turns when no defenses have time to exist. Resistances have gone up to where players have around 30% resist all, but damage has gone up to where players have 70 to 90% damage bonus plus around 130 to 150 critical ratings while player health has largely remained unchanged. There are more defense and damage reduction cards now, but they take time to set up, while stackable blades have gone way up in number not to even mention a multitude of blade casting pets. All this leads to pure onslaught in the team PvP matches.

Everyone knows that there was a problem with stuns, KI has fixed that. Who goes first is still a slight problem, because Dispels can be seen, even with cloak. However, it is a choice to play Rank 4v4! With that choice there are consequences. You take a chance, knowing there are powerful wizards out there, knowing that they can critical, knowing that you may not go first.

Since you entered into this kind of a match, knowingly and willingly, I don't see how you expect KI to change things to fit YOUR needs!

If you don't like how 4v4 is set up for Ranked PVP, then 2v2, 1v1, or 3v3, but you know what you are getting into when you sign up for it.

You can have very high resistance to all schools, no matter what school you are! You can also have very high critical block, no matter what school you are. Legion Shield is a buyable treasure card at 35% shield to all team members for the cost of 1 pip.

Sorry, but you are not making any good arguements besides you lost!

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
darthjt wrote:
seasnake wrote:
travisAk wrote:

Everyone knows that there was a problem with stuns, KI has fixed that. Who goes first is still a slight problem, because Dispels can be seen, even with cloak. However, it is a choice to play Rank 4v4! With that choice there are consequences. You take a chance, knowing there are powerful wizards out there, knowing that they can critical, knowing that you may not go first.

Since you entered into this kind of a match, knowingly and willingly, I don't see how you expect KI to change things to fit YOUR needs!

If you don't like how 4v4 is set up for Ranked PVP, then 2v2, 1v1, or 3v3, but you know what you are getting into when you sign up for it.

You can have very high resistance to all schools, no matter what school you are! You can also have very high critical block, no matter what school you are. Legion Shield is a buyable treasure card at 35% shield to all team members for the cost of 1 pip.

how do I not make sense and how have I lost, and who do you think it was that argued so vervantly for the stunning problem to be fixed and whose idea do you think it was that you should be given different amounts of stun shields based upon 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 play to which Wizard101 implimented?.... give you a clue, it was me

You complain about complainers and yet all you do is complain about those who are actually trying to improve things.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
darthjt wrote:
seasnake wrote:
travisAk wrote:

Dart it is a valid arguement and you know reading your posts. Your not even
reading the actual post your just saying basically "Nope your wrong and complaining" I'm sorry idk if your not reading it or just reading the post and getting a different message from it but i cant tell you anything more you just gotta read the post sometimes instead of just ranting about it