Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Boosting teaches kids it's okay to cheat

1
AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Sep 01, 2009
370
Oh joy, you're thinking, another post about boosting. Why can't people just deal with it, you wonder? What's the big deal? It's just a game, who cares?

It is just a game, but it's a game marketed towards kids. Kids whose parents are trying to teach them that cheating is wrong. If you want something, you have to work for it, you can't manipulate the system. And what kids are learning in PvP is cheating and manipulating the system is not only alright, it's encouraged and rewarded by Kingsisle.

How? With PvP rank, their names on the leaderboard, a cool Warlord or Commander badge, and of course, gear. A boosted Warlord can, with just one tournament and a ton of crowns, buy all their gear in one fell swoop. This results in (for example) a novice character, who's only participated in ranked matches with themselves, strutting around the Commons with a badge and gear that should be restricted to players who don't cheat.

So little Suzy Rainbow Flame or Daniel Fire Hawk (I'm making these names up) learn, thanks to KI, that you don't really have to work for something, you can cheat and manipulate the system, and get cool prizes and prestige for doing so.

What happens when Suzy and/or Daniel try this in the real world? Why wouldn't they? After all, Kingsisle is a business, a company, making lots of money, ignoring and rewarding negative behavior. What happens when Suzy's parents find out KI is teaching their child to cheat? What happens when Daniel's parents get a call from school, telling them Daniel cheated on a test because "Wizard101 lets me cheat!"? Those parents log into their respective accounts and yank their credit card off, that's what.

As more and more kids learn, thanks to KI, that cheating is allowed and rewarded in-game, more and more parents are going to become aware of it. My son no longer plays Wizard, but if he did, and I learned about boosting through him, I would uninstall Wizard101. Which I might do when the membership is up, only because I support other parents trying to teach their kids right from wrong.

KI, in ignoring boosting, and encouraging and rewarding cheating and dishonest behavior, is basically teaching children to do the wrong things as long as they get something they want. And that's a dangerous game to play.

Explorer
Jun 17, 2011
72
Wow, you sent a really powerful message here. I have never thought of boosting in that way, but that makes boosting an even more critical problem in this game. Kids can learn a lot from this game, and cheating is something KI doesn't want kids to take away from it. I really hope Dworgyn (I had to walk to the death school to learn how to spell his name) or someone at KI notices this post because you have proved the best point about boosting I have seen yet.

See you in the Arena!

Justin Shadow

Survivor
Jun 26, 2011
13
Boosting has technically always been around. The only reason it became so widespread is because people made it more widespread. And another factor is that to get to warlord is extremely pay to win nowadays which is why many players quit. I only have one warlord and I didn't boost (legendary death lols). Back to my point of pay to win, why pay to get a good pet and farm for gear when you can boost by only using a membership? I think ki needs to show the lvl that people got their badge. Just to show whose playing legit or not. I doubt they could ban boosting. Or else they would have to a big overhaul since so many people do it lols. Just stay up late and check out random realms. They are always there

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
421
My suggestions?

Eliminate Ranked 3v3 and Ranked 4v4 entirely.
Separate the leaderboards into Ranked 1v1 and 2v2. Let us see who really dominates 1v1.
You want a child to recognize that something is wrong, you take the privilege away and explain why.

3v3 and 4v4 are really only the guaranteed PvP battles where boosters can be assured to match up with themselves. In general, who does them these days?
A group of 6 or 8 legit PvP players in a blue moon, sure. Extremely rare. With jade gear and ward pets popular, in my opinion, these ranked matches aren't popular.

Usually there are enough people playing 2v2 so boosters can't be assured that they will match up in such matches.

If people really want 3v3 or 4v4 matches, tournaments and practice are still available.

Boosting is available to everybody and that's the price that comes when doing PvP with Wizard101. I think even today, through all of the leaderboard nonsense, we can determine the PvP players who have really worked hard in their matches. Just go see them dishing out attacks and having a positive attitude in your local Arena.

Boosters also put themselves right in KIs scope with this outrageous ranks on the leaderboards. As far as I know, KI has mostly rid PvP of puppet teams. It's a start.

Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander
Nathan GreenEyes 117 Hot in more ways than one (lol)
(Currently questing through Mirage)
Nathan GreenEyes 110 Couch Potato Hoarder
Genevieve HexPyre 86+ PvP Warlord
(Currently questing through Azteca)

Survivor
Sep 23, 2015
30
This is coming from someone who doesn't PvP but just watches PvP matches.
The ideal for having "PvP Warlord" or later on "3rd age PvP Warlord" (Personally there should be another age) on your Wizard seems very cool I guess to people do that.

It personally disgusts me seeing people cheating the system.

If I was KI, I would make a new age and make Boosting a bannible offensive.

Like you said, Children can learn how to cheat (and get away scot-free). This could make the Children cheat in other games or even in real life.

KI needs to do something.

Survivor
Dec 30, 2009
44
Boosting is happening in 2v2 as well now because 2v2 is becoming vacant. There are a bunch of reasons why, such as dispel spamming, Juju spamming, and Guardian Spirit heal spamming (strategies which involve trying to get the opponent team to forfeit due to 6 or longer hour matches).

KI, please pay attention to what's happening team ranked PvP. Because there are so few legitimate teams, boosting is allowed to happen in 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4. If there were more teams, then the boosters would not get each other so easily.

As for the leaderboard, yes, there should be a distinction between 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4.

Delver
Jun 14, 2016
247
If boosting is addressed, then the level 50 elixir should be removed as well.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1318
I have no idea what "boosting" is but I don't PvP.

Is it a cheat or just an unpopular option in the game?

Hero
May 07, 2015
724
SparkleTude on Apr 24, 2017 wrote:
I have no idea what "boosting" is but I don't PvP.

Is it a cheat or just an unpopular option in the game?
its a cheat. and snee, you have a very good point! boosting teaches kids its okay to cheat, when really, it isn't. I think they should make boosting a bannable offence. its just unfair, there is like, level 10's or even level 1's or between, and the level 1 is walking around with a warlord badge. its just not right.

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
421
SparkleTude on Apr 24, 2017 wrote:
I have no idea what "boosting" is but I don't PvP.

Is it a cheat or just an unpopular option in the game?
Unpopular option. Boosting is where you usually join a 3v3 or 4v4 ranked queue (which are almost always deserted) to face yourself using multiple accounts and gain an auto-win to rank up quickly.

Sad, but players do what they do for rank, gear, or the leaderboards. Unfortunately, it affects the players that actually take loses and do the harder matches in ranked.

It does begin to explain why many PvP players are deserting PvP and moving to PvE these days.

Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander
Nathan GreenEyes 117 Hot in more ways than one (lol)
(Currently questing through Mirage)
Nathan GreenEyes 110 Couch Potato Hoarder
Genevieve HexPyre 86+ PvP Warlord
(Currently questing through Azteca)

Mastermind
Sep 01, 2009
370
SparkleTude on Apr 24, 2017 wrote:
I have no idea what "boosting" is but I don't PvP.

Is it a cheat or just an unpopular option in the game?
Boosting is, IMHO, cheating, but *technically* it does not violate KI terms. In a nutshell, it is the act of creating ranked PvP matches with one team that wants higher rank, and the other team simply discards all spells so team one wins. Every single time. You can do it with friends, or with multiple accounts.

There are a few videos about it, along with 1-2 threads on Wizard101 Central.

Mastermind
Sep 01, 2009
370
jester094 on Apr 23, 2017 wrote:
Wow, you sent a really powerful message here. I have never thought of boosting in that way, but that makes boosting an even more critical problem in this game. Kids can learn a lot from this game, and cheating is something KI doesn't want kids to take away from it. I really hope Dworgyn (I had to walk to the death school to learn how to spell his name) or someone at KI notices this post because you have proved the best point about boosting I have seen yet.

See you in the Arena!

Justin Shadow
It hit me about a week ago, when I remembered what our son learned playing Wiz, including social skills, reasoning, patience, and problem solving. And now, I guess we parents can add manipulating the system for prizes and "prestige" to the list.

Survivor
Dec 30, 2009
44
Perhaps PvP should have a level limit just like gardening and pet training. Perhaps Level 15 or something. With a level 1, there's just no investment. You can create and delete as many as you need for your boosting activities.

Delver
Jun 14, 2016
247
DylanLionEyes on Apr 25, 2017 wrote:
Perhaps PvP should have a level limit just like gardening and pet training. Perhaps Level 15 or something. With a level 1, there's just no investment. You can create and delete as many as you need for your boosting activities.
That would take out legitimate level 5 and 10 PvPers.

Though really, at those levels, PvP is pretty trivial if you have the right equipment.

Survivor
Sep 20, 2010
13
Snee648, your argument is already invalid by me just reading the title. Point A, boosting is not cheating, as me and probably dozens of other people have emailed KI and they have replied that boosting is not cheating. Point B, the only way you think boosting is cheating is because they boost one person's PvP rank. Who cares about who is in the leaderboards anyways? People boost just because they want gear, spells, and (possibly) bragging rights if you are a kid and want to impress your friends.
Sorry I had to create this post, but I had to, to prove a point. And that point was that boosting is not cheating. This mindset, dare I say, ideology, has gotten out of hand. Example, this post. Again, I apologize and hope this post doesn't ruin anybody's view of me as a person.
Hope to see you in the Spiral!
Jack LightGlade, Level 76, Level 50, Level 50, Level 16, Level 15
Wolf, Level 18

Historian
Mar 16, 2012
677
Snee432, That was a truly heroic post. Your point about what children are learning from games ( positive as well as negative ) is valid.
So all who are saying that because KI allows this "loop-hole" in PVP play has no impact either on the game or in real life is just clueless.
Why try to PVP "honorably" when you can throw matches or play against yourself; then enjoy the rewards of your "efforts"? This is just one of the many reasons why PVP isn't being enjoyed anymore. And this attitude can be carried over into real life making a huge impact on a child's life, should they choose to cheat to gain what they want.
Boosting can be addressed - it was in Pirate101, where boosters were refusing matches until they got a match with a friend or themselves. A time-out penalty for refusing a match was added.
How it would work here I have no idea, unless KI could add something monitoring accounts.
I don't think KI is ignoring this problem deliberately, just that it's so difficult to solve.
However, you could address the problem from the other end: if a parent is reading this and has a child engaging in PVP, perhaps asking them what their rank is and just how did they gain that rank or rewards is necessary. And if this questioning should reveal boosting, then a serious talk about how cheating impacts everyone is in order
( and maybe a punishment? )

Defender
Dec 06, 2009
115
Jack Black 6464 on May 7, 2017 wrote:
Snee648, your argument is already invalid by me just reading the title. Point A, boosting is not cheating, as me and probably dozens of other people have emailed KI and they have replied that boosting is not cheating. Point B, the only way you think boosting is cheating is because they boost one person's PvP rank. Who cares about who is in the leaderboards anyways? People boost just because they want gear, spells, and (possibly) bragging rights if you are a kid and want to impress your friends.
Sorry I had to create this post, but I had to, to prove a point. And that point was that boosting is not cheating. This mindset, dare I say, ideology, has gotten out of hand. Example, this post. Again, I apologize and hope this post doesn't ruin anybody's view of me as a person.
Hope to see you in the Spiral!
Jack LightGlade, Level 76, Level 50, Level 50, Level 16, Level 15
Wolf, Level 18
While boosting is not technically against the current rules, it is very much against the spirit of the rules and fair play. So technically you are correct it is not cheating, but that is due to bad rules more than anything.

I think the original poster's intent is in fact to make a convincing post to KI to change the rules to make it in fact cheating to boost...a sentiment which I completely endorse. I have seen too many good games ruined by people gaming the system.

My introduction to Wiz 101 PvP went something along the lines of this. I went in one day around level 10 and said hey this looks like fun, looked at the leader board and saw some people in my level range at the top and thought hey that is cool I want to be like that. Found myself being trounced over and over again in duels with people many levels higher than me.

Then I find out all those people my level got their ranking and all the cool gear, etc that comes with it by fighting fixed battles against themselves and I lost all interest in PvP. Boosting cheapens PvP for the people who want to do things the right way.

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
421
I'm going to have to agree with Jack Black 6464 on this one.

Wizard is by NO MEANS a "learning game". It was not made for educational learning and while you can use many in-game concepts to assist children in learning skills, it should not be understood as an approved educational system.

Frankly, you have made tons of posts about boosting and setting up the concept of it teaching kids negative behaviour is simply not right. It is NOT KI's fault that boosting exists, so you can apologize to them for mentioning that in your original post.

As a responsible parent, you should be monitoring your child's activities on the computer. If you feel they are receiving misconceptions about certain ideals, it's YOUR responsibility to make a change. Change starts with you. Make a plan to remove that issue from their lifestyle.

Sometimes you have to make the choice put down the wizard wand and be a parent. When the serious issues arise, you can't be doing both.

Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander
Nathan GreenEyes 117 Hot in more ways than one (lol)
(Currently questing through Mirage)
Nathan GreenEyes 110 Couch Potato Hoarder
Genevieve HexPyre 102+ PvP Warlord
(Currently questing through Khrysalis)

Historian
Mar 16, 2012
677
Jack Black 6464 on May 7, 2017 wrote:
Snee648, your argument is already invalid by me just reading the title. Point A, boosting is not cheating, as me and probably dozens of other people have emailed KI and they have replied that boosting is not cheating. Point B, the only way you think boosting is cheating is because they boost one person's PvP rank. Who cares about who is in the leaderboards anyways? People boost just because they want gear, spells, and (possibly) bragging rights if you are a kid and want to impress your friends.
Sorry I had to create this post, but I had to, to prove a point. And that point was that boosting is not cheating. This mindset, dare I say, ideology, has gotten out of hand. Example, this post. Again, I apologize and hope this post doesn't ruin anybody's view of me as a person.
Hope to see you in the Spiral!
Jack LightGlade, Level 76, Level 50, Level 50, Level 16, Level 15
Wolf, Level 18
Just because KI is saying boosting isn't cheating; doesn't mean that players taking advantage of a "loop-hole" and manipulating the system aren't cheaters. What's honest about throwing matches to gain rank and gear without fighting legitimately?

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
452
Jack Black 6464 on May 7, 2017 wrote:
Snee648, your argument is already invalid by me just reading the title. Point A, boosting is not cheating, as me and probably dozens of other people have emailed KI and they have replied that boosting is not cheating. Point B, the only way you think boosting is cheating is because they boost one person's PvP rank. Who cares about who is in the leaderboards anyways? People boost just because they want gear, spells, and (possibly) bragging rights if you are a kid and want to impress your friends.
Sorry I had to create this post, but I had to, to prove a point. And that point was that boosting is not cheating. This mindset, dare I say, ideology, has gotten out of hand. Example, this post. Again, I apologize and hope this post doesn't ruin anybody's view of me as a person.
Hope to see you in the Spiral!
Jack LightGlade, Level 76, Level 50, Level 50, Level 16, Level 15
Wolf, Level 18
'Fixing a Match' in ANY sport is considered cheating and a ban worthy Offense.

This allowable 'cheat' sets a Terrible example by allowing people to manipulate the system without consequences.
I do not see any valid points in defending this current trend. It is terrible for the game in many ways and can ultimately start hitting KI in the wallet if it hasn't already - many people have stopped playing because of this issue.

120 1st Age Warlord
120 2nd Age Warlord
63 Warlord
100 Commander
100 Commander

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
452
thelastdiviner on May 7, 2017 wrote:
I'm going to have to agree with Jack Black 6464 on this one.

Wizard is by NO MEANS a "learning game". It was not made for educational learning and while you can use many in-game concepts to assist children in learning skills, it should not be understood as an approved educational system.

Frankly, you have made tons of posts about boosting and setting up the concept of it teaching kids negative behaviour is simply not right. It is NOT KI's fault that boosting exists, so you can apologize to them for mentioning that in your original post.

As a responsible parent, you should be monitoring your child's activities on the computer. If you feel they are receiving misconceptions about certain ideals, it's YOUR responsibility to make a change. Change starts with you. Make a plan to remove that issue from their lifestyle.

Sometimes you have to make the choice put down the wizard wand and be a parent. When the serious issues arise, you can't be doing both.

Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander
Nathan GreenEyes 117 Hot in more ways than one (lol)
(Currently questing through Mirage)
Nathan GreenEyes 110 Couch Potato Hoarder
Genevieve HexPyre 102+ PvP Warlord
(Currently questing through Khrysalis)
Sorry, LastDiviner, I usually agree with you on your posts but... ?

Cheaters never Prosper, right? Isn't that what we were always taught?

The OP is correct in saying that this Game is promoted for all ages and they have a responsibility to live up to that Claim.
So, under that Promotion and Proclamation of Product, Her Point is Valid.

Boosting IS a fault of KI.

Learning Game? ABSOLUTELY. what better way to have kids learn Mathematics????

( BTW Insinuating that Bad Parenting is at fault is a Low Blow and completely unwarranted).

Survivor
Dec 30, 2009
44
sKochiya on May 2, 2017 wrote:
That would take out legitimate level 5 and 10 PvPers.

Though really, at those levels, PvP is pretty trivial if you have the right equipment.
Low level is mostly people exploiting a high level pet or TC or spell dropped from hoard pack or Lambent Fire. I mean, I find it agreeable that they can wait until Level 15 to do exactly what they're doing, but against people with more health.

Survivor
Dec 30, 2009
44
anecorbie on May 7, 2017 wrote:
Snee432, That was a truly heroic post. Your point about what children are learning from games ( positive as well as negative ) is valid.
So all who are saying that because KI allows this "loop-hole" in PVP play has no impact either on the game or in real life is just clueless.
Why try to PVP "honorably" when you can throw matches or play against yourself; then enjoy the rewards of your "efforts"? This is just one of the many reasons why PVP isn't being enjoyed anymore. And this attitude can be carried over into real life making a huge impact on a child's life, should they choose to cheat to gain what they want.
Boosting can be addressed - it was in Pirate101, where boosters were refusing matches until they got a match with a friend or themselves. A time-out penalty for refusing a match was added.
How it would work here I have no idea, unless KI could add something monitoring accounts.
I don't think KI is ignoring this problem deliberately, just that it's so difficult to solve.
However, you could address the problem from the other end: if a parent is reading this and has a child engaging in PVP, perhaps asking them what their rank is and just how did they gain that rank or rewards is necessary. And if this questioning should reveal boosting, then a serious talk about how cheating impacts everyone is in order
( and maybe a punishment? )
The Pirate101 fix could absolutely work in Wizard101, but only if there were more people in PvP. As it stands, the boosters generally get themselves because there's no one else in queue.

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
421
My second post was quite out of the blue, so I'd like to figure some things out.
I posted "Wizard101 should not be understood as an approved educational system." When I posted that I meant comparable to a math-help book. I completely accept that I can be wrong there as there are plenty of online math-game tools and I totally respect any parent that can effectively combine the 2 into a healthy learning experience.

I post" It is NOT KI's fault that boosting exists, so you can apologize to them for mentioning that in your original post." I meant that people are taking advantage of KI's system in place. They did not intend for this to happen. I completely agree with it being an unfair and unpopular option. No question. There should be something done. Games are always subject to cheating no matter what you play. It's difficult to compare our boosting issue to another game as the PvP systems are unique.

In terms of parenting, I have no right to tell you how to parent your child. I simply did not completely agree with the direction of this thread. Gotta attack boosting at different angles I suppose.

Apologises.
Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander
Nathan GreenEyes 117 Hot in more ways than one (lol)
(Currently questing through Mirage)
Nathan GreenEyes 110 Couch Potato Hoarder
Genevieve HexPyre 102+ PvP Warlord
(Currently questing through Khrysalis)

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
452
thelastdiviner on May 14, 2017 wrote:
My second post was quite out of the blue, so I'd like to figure some things out.
I posted "Wizard101 should not be understood as an approved educational system." When I posted that I meant comparable to a math-help book. I completely accept that I can be wrong there as there are plenty of online math-game tools and I totally respect any parent that can effectively combine the 2 into a healthy learning experience.

I post" It is NOT KI's fault that boosting exists, so you can apologize to them for mentioning that in your original post." I meant that people are taking advantage of KI's system in place. They did not intend for this to happen. I completely agree with it being an unfair and unpopular option. No question. There should be something done. Games are always subject to cheating no matter what you play. It's difficult to compare our boosting issue to another game as the PvP systems are unique.

In terms of parenting, I have no right to tell you how to parent your child. I simply did not completely agree with the direction of this thread. Gotta attack boosting at different angles I suppose.

Apologises.
Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander
Nathan GreenEyes 117 Hot in more ways than one (lol)
(Currently questing through Mirage)
Nathan GreenEyes 110 Couch Potato Hoarder
Genevieve HexPyre 102+ PvP Warlord
(Currently questing through Khrysalis)
Thanks, LastDiviner, for clarifying your views.

I have one son that cannot understand the concept of Math (even with private tutors); playing the game he gets a grasp (calculating blades, traps, etc.) If a kid finds math Fun somehow, yay right?

My apologies as well, I didn't mean to sound harsh in response to your opinions.

1