Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Boosting (PvP)

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 22, 2013
10
It is obvious that "boosters" have taken over the Ranked PvP leaderboards. Boosting is where a group of people gather multiple accounts in order to "boost" a certain character's rank. Most boosters are guilty of sharing accounts with other people, but it is hard to prove. Boosting has been declared by Kingsisle to be a PvP strategy, and does not break any rules. So the following questions arise: Should you report "boosters"? Is it okay for you to boost?
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Let me know how you feel about the topic of boosting down below!

~~~~~~Connor Sandtail

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
1024
What? When has boosting been determined a PvP strategy by Kingsisle? Can you cite your source please.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4163
Boosting, as in having one account throw fights in order to boost other account's ranking? That's cheating in my opinion, but very hard to prove. I don't think KI condones this at all. Puppeting on the other hand, mixing a team with a high and low level account to lower the avg level to get easier matches, that is a valid "strategy".

Delver
Mar 13, 2010
299
Eric Stormbringer on Oct 3, 2016 wrote:
What? When has boosting been determined a PvP strategy by Kingsisle? Can you cite your source please.
I feel like there was a response that while they don't feel it's sporting the current boosting doesn't technically break any rules.

I can see how you can take that as tacit endorsement of the (low) practice.

Mastermind
Nov 19, 2014
365
seethe42 on Oct 3, 2016 wrote:
Boosting, as in having one account throw fights in order to boost other account's ranking? That's cheating in my opinion, but very hard to prove. I don't think KI condones this at all. Puppeting on the other hand, mixing a team with a high and low level account to lower the avg level to get easier matches, that is a valid "strategy".
wouldn't matter because raging also cheating to for making dirty move in pvp to hard to make a combat by?

people still most having issus with hackers issus because can't stop them

Defender
Oct 24, 2012
175
JustinFrostHunter on Oct 5, 2016 wrote:
wouldn't matter because raging also cheating to for making dirty move in pvp to hard to make a combat by?

people still most having issus with hackers issus because can't stop them
Justin, man, I see you all the time and your grammar keeps getting worse and worse.
Please, do us a favor and study a dictionary lol.

Explorer
May 09, 2011
96
Boosting should be 100% outlawed. Not everyone can do it without donating, therefore it shouldn't be allowed.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
578
Leicrex on Oct 5, 2016 wrote:
Justin, man, I see you all the time and your grammar keeps getting worse and worse.
Please, do us a favor and study a dictionary lol.
Even if his grammar may be bad, it doesn't give you the right to comment about it and then laugh about it. Also a dictionary is for the definition of words, not spelling. The nicest thing to do would be trying to understand what he says without calling his grammar out. If you don't understand it then you can ask him to go more into depth of what you need more understanding of.

Defender
May 02, 2015
120
Boosting,

Is it fair, and should it be completely illegal? In terms of something that feels pretty badly exploitative, yeah probably.

Where it gets gray is for people who have multiple accounts. I have three accounts and (though I don't pvp) don't you think with all of the costs associated with maintaining those multiple account that a person should be able to do this?

Like if I"m trying to get one character up in a 1v1 setting and I encounter my others, if I encounter one of my wizards, shouldn't I have that right to boost? Well, maybe not so much of a right as it would be more of a slap in the face if I couldn't reap those benefits from having those 3 accounts. It's expensive, man. Perks needed.

I think (and correct me if I am wrong) this might be the biggest issue in 2v2 or 3v3 or even 4v4 when a booster just leaves at the start leaving the other team at a huge disadvantage.

Maybe the way to fix this is to report/make it illegal to leave anything higher than 1v1? Because I don't pvp, but I have joined tournaments just to get arena tickets. As a rule, unless I join with my group for 2v2 or 3v3 (so I can leave with everyone), I don't join by myself because that's pretty rude to the players who are trying.

Then again, I guess people could just stay in.. And even if they also made a filter for not just passing or going afk, determined boosters could still just make bad plays all day. So idk.

Maybe this is a good/half way solution because making it so that you just can leave might be a deterrent in and of itself. I mean, if you had however many screens up to be boosting, think of how much that would take away from the fight that you're actually trying to win.

Maybe this is a good idea in that it doesn't get rid of boosting entirely, but makes it a lot harder to do.

And maybe to keep people from sharing accounts (which is an obvious rule), idk, can KI make it so that one account can only be played from say up to 3 different IPs max? Idk just a thought.

Survivor
Oct 24, 2015
2
I have written K I about boosting. I asked if it is against the rules. I also asked if you can report someone boosting. They replied saying it is not against their rules. They said boosting is allowed in the game.

Survivor
May 16, 2011
2
frostednutella on Oct 7, 2016 wrote:
Even if his grammar may be bad, it doesn't give you the right to comment about it and then laugh about it. Also a dictionary is for the definition of words, not spelling. The nicest thing to do would be trying to understand what he says without calling his grammar out. If you don't understand it then you can ask him to go more into depth of what you need more understanding of.
I agree and disagree. I agree that laughing about it was wrong. You should never laugh at someone else's misfortune or errors when it comes to education. That said, I disagree and say that you should most definitely point it out when it's noticed. Unfortunately he does have very bad grammar. I read his post multiple times to try and understand it, and then even shared it with some of my friends to see if they could. We "sort of" get the gist of it, but it was not easy at all and I get the feeling that if you have him go into further detail it would just become more confusing because he has already struggled to explain it previously. We're not talking about someone's appearance or something they can't control. Grammar can be improved if the person knows that there is a problem with their grammar in the first place. You do him no favors by not calling it out and alerting him to his broken communication. I get where you're coming from and it's commendable to want to stand up to someone on behalf of someone else, but if you really want to help him encourage him to improve his grammar. The other guy was wrong for laughing, but I think I can see where he may have been trying to do just that.

Delver
Aug 05, 2013
253
They should remove leaderboards because there is no point in them because of the exhausting amounts of boosters. A leaderboard's point is to show which players are at the top. It has lost its purpose and should be removed.