Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Balance needs a nerf

1
AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 22, 2009
48
Is this serious? Balance can take pips away and still damage you? Essentially pip locking you, and preventing you from using major moves? Is that at all fair? If a balance goes first, they can prevent me from even casting damaging spells against them? I was just wondering if the developers actually thought that one through. Honestly, balanace and ice dominate PvP, and whats the point of PvP if your class has no chance?

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
158
And when life goes first they can heal through all your efforts.
And when storm goes first they can bolt spam you to death.

Welcome to PvP.
At least with mana burn, you are still able to cast your spell on the same turn. They can't prevent you from attacking.
It's a 5 pip spell, that takes 3 rounds to prepare for.
Mana burn can't be spammed at 5 pips. There is always a break in between.

Prepare your deck by using lower rank spells, as well. Just as people need to be prepared with stun blocks or infections. You don't know what school u will fight, so have a versatile deck.
I assume you're doing 1v1.
You shouldn't be relying on rank 8 or 9 spells in 1v1 anyway. It's a great way to get yourself killed.

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
312
Oh my gosh enough with the complaining. Really balance is just a pain with mana burn. They can't spam the move since it costs 5 pips. Use attacks faster so you don't get hit as hard. And btw mana burn is only good going first since if they go second they might not hit you at all because you can use up your pips.

Ice on the other hand they are frustrating. I am not getting in to that.

Mastermind
Dec 11, 2011
333
Darthjp wrote:
Is this serious? Balance can take pips away and still damage you? Essentially pip locking you, and preventing you from using major moves? Is that at all fair? If a balance goes first, they can prevent me from even casting damaging spells against them? I was just wondering if the developers actually thought that one through. Honestly, balanace and ice dominate PvP, and whats the point of PvP if your class has no chance?


I agree and disagree. I agree with if they go first. I mean, it would be impossible. And it cost hardly any pips!

I disagree because I honestly saw this spell coming, and not only is this great in PvP, they can prevent a boss from attacking in PvE (Avalon.)

SuperNova is the one I actually hate. Taking an Aura away? Seriously? And doing damage?

~Eric CrowSpear - Diviner

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1556
Actually, it's a better thing if a Balance wizard goes first. If the Balance wizard uses Mana Burn on you the same round you attack, then it's almost useless, except for the damage. I'm a Balance wizard, with lots of experience in pvp, and Mana Burn is not Balance's top spell. If they just spam Mana Burn, then they're just dealing a very low amount of damage, while your wand attack may even be doing more. Mana Burn is a useful spell, but it shouldn't be what Balance relies on. If you can't take out a Balance wizard then just keep a bunch of rank 4 spells in your deck, it works out well. Well, there's nothing really more to say, it's your strategy!

Explorer
Apr 10, 2010
78
Agreed. Basically Ice, Balance, and Life rule the arena. I'm suprised life lost it's ultimate to a bunch of whiners yet Ice gets their immunity and balance their unstoppable crowdcontroll/damage spell. Here's my idea: make it take away 5 pips but inflicts damage to the user instead of you, ruining spammablity.

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
305
Way to steal my friends username...

Anywho, yes, they can. balance dispel. Solution made.

Defender
May 29, 2011
134
thejordanator wrote:
Way to steal my friends username...

Anywho, yes, they can. balance dispel. Solution made.


Easier said than done. Just saying.

Champion
Feb 29, 2012
488
mkt3 wrote:
thejordanator wrote:
Way to steal my friends username...

Anywho, yes, they can. balance dispel. Solution made.


Easier said than done. Just saying.


Easier said then done? Right about now I could march in the Bazaar, buy some and head straight to the PvP and spam them.

Easier done then said for once.

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
305
mkt3 wrote:
thejordanator wrote:
Way to steal my friends username...

Anywho, yes, they can. balance dispel. Solution made.


Easier said than done. Just saying.


You know, If you are not carrying balance dispel treasure cards, you are already ruining your chances to win. Balance dispels can dispel things that a crucial if you want to win. Reshuffle, blades, judgement mana burn, supernova.

It seems like there is so much to carry, but on my storm i pretty much have everything covered on the side board. I have balance dispels, tower shields, doom and gloom. Thats not all that hard to maintain.

Defender
May 29, 2011
134
ionya wrote:
mkt3 wrote:
thejordanator wrote:
Way to steal my friends username...

Anywho, yes, they can. balance dispel. Solution made.


Easier said than done. Just saying.


Easier said then done? Right about now I could march in the Bazaar, buy some and head straight to the PvP and spam them.

Easier done then said for once.


You cant predict if your opponent is balance. If you vs a myth you'd just be wasting valuable treasure card space.

Defender
May 29, 2011
134
thejordanator wrote:
mkt3 wrote:
thejordanator wrote:
Way to steal my friends username...

Anywho, yes, they can. balance dispel. Solution made.


Easier said than done. Just saying.


You know, If you are not carrying balance dispel treasure cards, you are already ruining your chances to win. Balance dispels can dispel things that a crucial if you want to win. Reshuffle, blades, judgement mana burn, supernova.

It seems like there is so much to carry, but on my storm i pretty much have everything covered on the side board. I have balance dispels, tower shields, doom and gloom. Thats not all that hard to maintain.


You cant predict what school your opponent will be. I use weakness treasures, whats a balance dispel gonna do? Not only that, but unless you have balance mastery amulet, its gonna cost 4 pips.( possibbly valuable power pips ) Just to dispell a something my opponent can get off with a elemental/spirit blade. I have a balance and life mastery amulet, being a warlord I altar my strategy every now then.

Simply saying treasure cards( dispels for this matter ) solve everything is easier said than done. My point exactly.

Dispels dont really work that often unless you have the first turn advantage, if not, then your opponent will probably just find a way to get rid of it.

To be honest, I only use dispels to delay my opponent. Other than that, I find them unneccasary.

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
393
mkt3 wrote:
thejordanator wrote:
mkt3 wrote:
thejordanator wrote:
Way to steal my friends username...

Anywho, yes, they can. balance dispel. Solution made.


Easier said than done. Just saying.


You know, If you are not carrying balance dispel treasure cards, you are already ruining your chances to win. Balance dispels can dispel things that a crucial if you want to win. Reshuffle, blades, judgement mana burn, supernova.

It seems like there is so much to carry, but on my storm i pretty much have everything covered on the side board. I have balance dispels, tower shields, doom and gloom. Thats not all that hard to maintain.


You cant predict what school your opponent will be. I use weakness treasures, whats a balance dispel gonna do? Not only that, but unless you have balance mastery amulet, its gonna cost 4 pips.( possibbly valuable power pips ) Just to dispell a something my opponent can get off with a elemental/spirit blade. I have a balance and life mastery amulet, being a warlord I altar my strategy every now then.

Simply saying treasure cards( dispels for this matter ) solve everything is easier said than done. My point exactly.

Dispels dont really work that often unless you have the first turn advantage, if not, then your opponent will probably just find a way to get rid of it.

To be honest, I only use dispels to delay my opponent. Other than that, I find them unneccasary.
so because you cant beat a balance wizard you think that every balance wizard in the game should be nerfed just so you can beat a balance in pvp? :?

Defender
May 29, 2011
134
gweedoboy wrote:
mkt3 wrote:
thejordanator wrote:
mkt3 wrote:
thejordanator wrote:
Way to steal my friends username...

Anywho, yes, they can. balance dispel. Solution made.


Easier said than done. Just saying.


You know, If you are not carrying balance dispel treasure cards, you are already ruining your chances to win. Balance dispels can dispel things that a crucial if you want to win. Reshuffle, blades, judgement mana burn, supernova.

It seems like there is so much to carry, but on my storm i pretty much have everything covered on the side board. I have balance dispels, tower shields, doom and gloom. Thats not all that hard to maintain.


You cant predict what school your opponent will be. I use weakness treasures, whats a balance dispel gonna do? Not only that, but unless you have balance mastery amulet, its gonna cost 4 pips.( possibbly valuable power pips ) Just to dispell a something my opponent can get off with a elemental/spirit blade. I have a balance and life mastery amulet, being a warlord I altar my strategy every now then.

Simply saying treasure cards( dispels for this matter ) solve everything is easier said than done. My point exactly.

Dispels dont really work that often unless you have the first turn advantage, if not, then your opponent will probably just find a way to get rid of it.

To be honest, I only use dispels to delay my opponent. Other than that, I find them unneccasary.
so because you cant beat a balance wizard you think that every balance wizard in the game should be nerfed just so you can beat a balance in pvp? :?


Dont put words in my mouth, cause i never said that. And i can beat a balance wizard, any school. I was just saying that unless you know what school your facing, balance dispels can be a little useless.

Balance is completely fine, I have a lvl 60 balance wizard myself. Its a good school, but nowhere near overpowered.

Survivor
Jun 15, 2010
36
Balance needs no such Nerf. Especially if Mana Burn is your only problem. If the Balance opponent spams it to that decree, fight them the way you would fight Young Morganthe.

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
403
Lucario450 on Jul 27, 2012 wrote:
Agreed. Basically Ice, Balance, and Life rule the arena. I'm suprised life lost it's ultimate to a bunch of whiners yet Ice gets their immunity and balance their unstoppable crowdcontroll/damage spell. Here's my idea: make it take away 5 pips but inflicts damage to the user instead of you, ruining spammablity.
Those schools do not rule the arena ( add every other school since they are all powerful). Since when did we spam mana burn? It cost five pips, and does not do much damage if done when the opponent has low pips. Why would anybody ever make a damage to user for removal of pips card! Insane. This is one of balance only good spell, if you did the damage to self no body would use it, and like i said nobody spams it.

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2923
this is ridiculous.
balance does not need a nerf~ you need to fix your strategy.

it's funny, whenever someone faces balance in pvp, they expect that we're just going to lie down and let them crush us. and, when we don't, they rant about judge and mana burn, then cry nerf.

1) tower shields, unbalance, and spirit armour exist for a reason; use them.
2) balance does not dominate pvp~ ice, life, and myth do.
3) go in without a game plan, you will fail miserably, every time.
4) if you don't use the resources available to you, that's your fault.

(i apologize preemptively if this is a double post~i lost connection to the interwebz just as i clicked submit, so i have no clue if it went through or not.)

now serving cheese,
-von

Explorer
Dec 24, 2008
83
Darthjp on Jul 26, 2012 wrote:
Is this serious? Balance can take pips away and still damage you? Essentially pip locking you, and preventing you from using major moves? Is that at all fair? If a balance goes first, they can prevent me from even casting damaging spells against them? I was just wondering if the developers actually thought that one through. Honestly, balanace and ice dominate PvP, and whats the point of PvP if your class has no chance?
Um, just because Balance goes first doesn't mean that the spell mana burn can keep you from casting anything.plus, the highest amount of pips you could have on the first turn is 4 if you have power pips and it takes 5 pips to cast mana burn.i love my Balance spell and its not going to change no matter how much you complain about it. So get over it. Go complain about some others schools spells or don't complain at all. Btw, the developers though out the spell very much just like they would any other spell.

Erica ShadowRunner lvl 86 Balance~ over and out

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
939
Darthjp on Jul 26, 2012 wrote:
Is this serious? Balance can take pips away and still damage you? Essentially pip locking you, and preventing you from using major moves? Is that at all fair? If a balance goes first, they can prevent me from even casting damaging spells against them? I was just wondering if the developers actually thought that one through. Honestly, balanace and ice dominate PvP, and whats the point of PvP if your class has no chance?
I dont think their overpowered and MB does steal pips but you still can cast the round it is cast even if they go first. The pips will disappear but your spell is still cast.

Survivor
Dec 04, 2012
23
Eric the Red on Jul 26, 2012 wrote:
And when life goes first they can heal through all your efforts.
And when storm goes first they can bolt spam you to death.

Welcome to PvP.
At least with mana burn, you are still able to cast your spell on the same turn. They can't prevent you from attacking.
It's a 5 pip spell, that takes 3 rounds to prepare for.
Mana burn can't be spammed at 5 pips. There is always a break in between.

Prepare your deck by using lower rank spells, as well. Just as people need to be prepared with stun blocks or infections. You don't know what school u will fight, so have a versatile deck.
I assume you're doing 1v1.
You shouldn't be relying on rank 8 or 9 spells in 1v1 anyway. It's a great way to get yourself killed.
Agreed. Everyone is always knit-picking about an "overpowered" spell. True balance isannoying at times, but you dont become a warlord by complaining to Ki that you lost to a spell specific to that school. And plus, ana burn is nothing compared to ice's newest spell. It takes ips and hits, so are you going to complain about every spell? As i always say, if you cant beat them, then just make an iceof your own or a balance of your own.

Personally i don't think anyone should criticize any school until you have your facts straight and you have at least looked at the defects of tha school. Balance is powerful, they have weakness, balance blade, etc. But all of their buffs are universal. Just weakness them and force them to remove their weakness. Any spell they us to take off a weakness/tower, will also take off their blades. And balance is in general suppose to be strong. It combines the elemental and spiritual schools to become a great school. They have the health and pipping of a life and generally the damage of fire-myth ratio. I created a balance of my own, its a strong school but it is possible to beat a sorcerer.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
1359
Dr Von on Feb 18, 2013 wrote:
this is ridiculous.
balance does not need a nerf~ you need to fix your strategy.

it's funny, whenever someone faces balance in pvp, they expect that we're just going to lie down and let them crush us. and, when we don't, they rant about judge and mana burn, then cry nerf.

1) tower shields, unbalance, and spirit armour exist for a reason; use them.
2) balance does not dominate pvp~ ice, life, and myth do.
3) go in without a game plan, you will fail miserably, every time.
4) if you don't use the resources available to you, that's your fault.

(i apologize preemptively if this is a double post~i lost connection to the interwebz just as i clicked submit, so i have no clue if it went through or not.)

now serving cheese,
-von
While I am not denying anything you say - (Although IMO spirit armor and unbalance would be a pretty stupid move from second) I would like to argue with #2. Balance dominates PvP easily. They are BY FAR the best school if your intent is to fight. Why?

1. Easy Reshuffle
2. The strategy of D&G spam + Mana Burn Spam (Let's not deny it - This strategy is EXTREMELY effective. I am still close to finding a PvP strategy that works everytime, it work's about 6/10 times against balance)
3. It's almost impossible to beat a balance from second. If you disagree, PLEASE von, provide me with a deck. I am in need of one. (And no, don't make it for a singular school. Make it for all schools.)

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2923
Rony The Turtle on Mar 1, 2013 wrote:
While I am not denying anything you say - (Although IMO spirit armor and unbalance would be a pretty stupid move from second) I would like to argue with #2. Balance dominates PvP easily. They are BY FAR the best school if your intent is to fight. Why?

1. Easy Reshuffle
2. The strategy of D&G spam + Mana Burn Spam (Let's not deny it - This strategy is EXTREMELY effective. I am still close to finding a PvP strategy that works everytime, it work's about 6/10 times against balance)
3. It's almost impossible to beat a balance from second. If you disagree, PLEASE von, provide me with a deck. I am in need of one. (And no, don't make it for a singular school. Make it for all schools.)
yes, i agree~ reshuffle is, quite possibly, a balance wizard's best commodity. but they certainly don't rule pvp, or my promethean sorceress would be a warlord by now.

balance is extremely effective in team pvp. in my first match since i was a grandmaster, i 3v3ed with 2 same-level friends (87 storm and 90 ice) and i did very little attacking. my main role was to make sure that:

1) my teammates were sufficiently buffed, and
2) carry enough heals that storm insane-bolting himself would not be the end of the duel.

-

my level 22 fire wizard is a sergeant. i have won against balance wizards, from first and second, though i don't typically waste time with things like dispels or auras (though i did use wildfyre once and subsequently won the duel with a fire beetle, lol).

i agree that spirit armour is something of a lousy move from second (depends on your opponent), but unbalance is not. why, you ask? unless that person is carrying cleanse charm...

-no weakness;
-no tri-blades or traps;
-no balanceblades;
-no mana burn;
-no reshuffle;
-no healing (since my availing hands will bypass any life dispels you try to put on me).

as a balance wizard, it makes total sense to wallpaper your opponent with that spell. they won't be able to wand it off or dispel fast enough. and, because we can use power pips with it... well, that part kinda tells itself.



as much as i would love to help you with a deck setup for all schools, i have only ever pvp'ed extensively with fire. maybe you should go and poke darthjt (who has, to my knowledge, pvp'ed with all schools) and ask him for his expert opinion on the subject.



-von

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
403
I am not going to give tips on strategy. Balance does not need a nerf. ( Yeah that was the end of post!)

Survivor
Apr 29, 2011
12
PvP King on Jul 27, 2012 wrote:
Actually, it's a better thing if a Balance wizard goes first. If the Balance wizard uses Mana Burn on you the same round you attack, then it's almost useless, except for the damage. I'm a Balance wizard, with lots of experience in pvp, and Mana Burn is not Balance's top spell. If they just spam Mana Burn, then they're just dealing a very low amount of damage, while your wand attack may even be doing more. Mana Burn is a useful spell, but it shouldn't be what Balance relies on. If you can't take out a Balance wizard then just keep a bunch of rank 4 spells in your deck, it works out well. Well, there's nothing really more to say, it's your strategy!
Yes this wizard is right, I also have a balance char and I play allot. Even though all of you are complaining about mana burn, it is not that harmful. I have it in my outfit and have only used it twice throughout the whole year that I've had it. My main spell is power nova since I am only a grandmaster and don't know ra yet. And power nova does not get rid of auras. But once it gets a critical, it can do some serious damage especially when I have all four of my usable balance blades on. One from my pet, one in my deck, one from all friends, and one dragon blade from my necklace. :P. -Lindsey Moon

Survivor
Jul 26, 2012
15
tdc69666 on Mar 1, 2013 wrote:
Agreed. Everyone is always knit-picking about an "overpowered" spell. True balance isannoying at times, but you dont become a warlord by complaining to Ki that you lost to a spell specific to that school. And plus, ana burn is nothing compared to ice's newest spell. It takes ips and hits, so are you going to complain about every spell? As i always say, if you cant beat them, then just make an iceof your own or a balance of your own.

Personally i don't think anyone should criticize any school until you have your facts straight and you have at least looked at the defects of tha school. Balance is powerful, they have weakness, balance blade, etc. But all of their buffs are universal. Just weakness them and force them to remove their weakness. Any spell they us to take off a weakness/tower, will also take off their blades. And balance is in general suppose to be strong. It combines the elemental and spiritual schools to become a great school. They have the health and pipping of a life and generally the damage of fire-myth ratio. I created a balance of my own, its a strong school but it is possible to beat a sorcerer.
guys if you've been to the balance school it says in the book it takes longer to learn but is emmeasurable

1