Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

ANOTHER Ban-worthy word - Cheater

1
AuthorMessage
Defender
May 31, 2009
116
Not long ago there was a post here about banning the word NOOB. I, for one, am for such a ban because it is a word usually used as an insult. Family friendly as this game is (award WINNING, in fact), it would be nice to see taunting taken out of this game.

However, today I had a 1v1 one against some Balance whats-his-name Crowmancer and I thougt about another word that I wouldn't mind seeing banned - CHEATER.

Both of us were Warlords (around 1600), and I was fortunate to go first. After I had won, his friend from the sideline calls me a Cheater. "Why?", I asked. I was quite candid that I used Treasure cards, but so did he! Turns out, he noticed that I "stacked" two Tower shields - one was a Treasure Card, the other my leaned Ice Spell. Forget that he stacked his Weakness spell (via regular spell and Nova combo), what I did he deemed cheating.

Sticks and stones, blah blah blah - I get it. Yet another example of poor sportsmanship on display that I see quite a bit of. But as thick as my skin is to such juvenile rants, I do think that calling someone a Cheater, Liar, or something of the sort is a bit much. If you think someone has cheated, report them. As far as I know, there is NO way to cheat in this game, so if you really suspect this, so let THEM sort it out. But to call someone a cheater just because you don't like what they've, even though it's a move used by many, that's an unnecessary insult.

Please - don't make this a thread about using Treasure cards (NOT cheating!), or Wild Bolt (NOT cheating!), Chain Stunning (NOT cheating!), or using Minions in The Arena. You may not LIKE these strategies, and they may diminish the enjoyment for some, but they are all ALLOWED by the game so are NOT cheating!

However, just like we aren't allowed to foul language, I, for one, would love to see the use of the word CHEATER banned. As in my endorsement of banning NOOB, I don't think this game should encourage / allow / foster an environment of intimidation and poor sportsmanship. C'mon, these are kids! But where as a word like NOOB can be used without being an insult (as in, "Doh! Sorry I wasted your feint - what a noob!"), I daresay that anyone using the word CHEATER is doing so with malice. And, without exception, they are using the word unfairly and /or out of ignorance.

mlb

Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
835
wow this is the worst complaint forum i have ever read, i mean noob sure, but cheater? no

Explorer
Nov 07, 2008
91
Frankly I will agree with you. My newest wizard a level 7 myth was called a "noob" today because two Lv.40 players said that we shouldn't fight cause we'd get beat every time. I told them that I would take them on 1 on 1 each seperate with my Grandmaster Death. And they accepted. I beat both. At thge end of the match they both said "you aren't so tough with you're other are you NOOB" That aggrevated me. I would like to see the word noob banned but as for Cheater. Well that's not as big a deal.

Defender
May 31, 2009
116
AlecVolterra wrote:
wow this is the worst complaint forum i have ever read, i mean noob sure, but cheater? no


Woa - worst complaint EVER? So apparently we disagree on two things - the merits of calling people cheaters and the liberal use of hyperbole.

Seriously, use the word CHEATER in a positive context. Not only is it used almost exclusively as a pejorative, it's being used incorrectly since what folks are so quick to call Cheating ISN'T.

I'm sure the folks at KI have far betting things to focus their creative minds on, I just think that if a word is used solely as an insult or as a part of a false accusation, there's no need for it. Bottom line, taking name calling out of the game would make it a more enjoyable experience not just for me, but for my kids as well.

mlb

Defender
Jul 18, 2009
160
As a parent with a child who plays this game I have no worries over such words as "cheater" or "noob".

Part of being a parent is letting your child be gently exposed and see how these words are just words and that you can act in a good way without the need to use them.

Kids use worse in school without a filter in place. Let them grow up gently and be a parent to explain why any word used with ill intent is not beneficial to anyone.

Defender
Nov 25, 2009
160
hiway1999 wrote:
As a parent with a child who plays this game I have no worries over such words as "cheater" or "noob".

Part of being a parent is letting your child be gently exposed and see how these words are just words and that you can act in a good way without the need to use them.

Kids use worse in school without a filter in place. Let them grow up gently and be a parent to explain why any word used with ill intent is not beneficial to anyone.


(claps) Oh that is a GREAT oppinion! I'm with you 100 percent.

I think that being called a cheater isn't really even a good reason to get upset! After all, who is more childish? The one who says someone is a cheater, or the one who throws a baby fit over it?

Destiny Dragoncoin lvl 42 balance. Secondary is ice.

Defender
May 31, 2009
116
The one who says someone is a cheater, or the one who throws a baby fit over it?

Eh? Baby fit? I daresay you and Alec share the same passion for exaggeration!

Come on, if the only reason a word is used is to insult, and when it's used it's used incorrectly, why have it as part of the game?

Debate of how best to raise one's child aside, wouldn't this game be better if the brats and poor sports had to REALLY WORK to insult and name call? The anonimity of the internet allows cowards and bullies to thrive and I truly believe this game would be a better place without them. For the kids AND for those who want a reprieve from the poor sportsmanship that's only too prevalent in the real world.

mlb


Defender
Dec 23, 2009
129
The word has just become a catch-all to describe people you don't like, especially those who treasure in PvP. I've never called someone who uses treasure cards in a ranked PvP match a cheater. Skillless? All the time. Mediocre? Quite often. However it doesn't follow under the definition of "cheater" though because no gameplay mechanics were violated. I stand by my other descriptions of people who use TCs in PvP though.

Defender
Nov 25, 2009
160
Caspeen wrote:
The one who says someone is a cheater, or the one who throws a baby fit over it?

Eh? Baby fit? I daresay you and Alec share the same passion for exaggeration!

Come on, if the only reason a word is used is to insult, and when it's used it's used incorrectly, why have it as part of the game?

Debate of how best to raise one's child aside, wouldn't this game be better if the brats and poor sports had to REALLY WORK to insult and name call? The anonimity of the internet allows cowards and bullies to thrive and I truly believe this game would be a better place without them. For the kids AND for those who want a reprieve from the poor sportsmanship that's only too prevalent in the real world.

mlb



It's true that it would be nice for it to be harder to insult anyone but it's also true that some people call their friends cheaters for fun. No harm done there.

I wasn't trying to exaggerate by saying "baby fit" but you have to admit that it is common for little kids to fight over things like that.

Destiny Dragoncoin lvl 42 balance
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dog food is getting weird! One day people will be able to eat it.

Survivor
Aug 05, 2009
5
<blockquote class="uncited">
<div>this is absoluley the worsyt complaint i have seen on the message board ever Cheater is not a banable word neither is noob no matter what someone is always going to be called a noob and too ban an account from wizard101 like that is just absolutly pointless.



~Taylor~
~lvl 23 Life~

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
563
It was me who wrote it. I wasn't being mean to noobs, I wrote that because I don't want people to call low level wizards that.

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
563
Do you mean saying those funny things when you cast spells like, "Burn baby burn!"? Or the spell? Because I like those funny things that people say when they cast spells.

Survivor
Aug 19, 2009
10
GreyG wrote:
Frankly I will agree with you. My newest wizard a level 7 myth was called a "noob" today because two Lv.40 players said that we shouldn't fight cause we'd get beat every time. I told them that I would take them on 1 on 1 each seperate with my Grandmaster Death. And they accepted. I beat both. At thge end of the match they both said "you aren't so tough with you're other are you NOOB" That aggrevated me. I would like to see the word noob banned but as for Cheater. Well that's not as big a deal.


This is for all of the cry babies. If the word noob ever gets banned, there will just be a new word for noob. Get it....?

Defender
May 31, 2009
116
This is for all of the cry babies.

Nice - in a post about the how annoying name calling is, you uncork that well thought out, very compelling comment. How very cerebral of you.

I'm guessing YOU don't get it.

Look, there are soooo many MMORPG where adults of all ages can go to swear, menace, intimidate, name call - WHATEVER - to their harts content. Anyone who gets upset at being called Noob in any of those games definitely needs a thicker hide and probably doesn't belong there. THIS site, however, has won awards for being FAMILY oriented and, as such, is geared to a different crowd. Since so many who come to this site are younger, I truly believe more could be done to reduce / eliminate / get rid of those things that i don't think should be part of a Family game. Name calling, taunting, threatening, menacing - none of those things have a place in ANY game, but much less in a game that is geared to a younger crowd. Of course people will come up with other ways to display their classlessness and poor sportsmanship, but why make it easy for them?

Bottom line, if a word / words are used only as an insult - noob, cheater, liar, WHATEVER - why NOT get rid of them?

Of course, if you're one prone to replying to a constructive exchange of ideas with name calling this may be beyond your comprehension, but I, for one, feel this game would be so much better if all of the bullies would simply move on.

mlb

Defender
Dec 23, 2009
129
Bottom line, if a word / words are used only as an insult - noob, cheater, liar, WHATEVER - why NOT get rid of them?

Of course, if you're one prone to replying to a constructive exchange of ideas with name calling this may be beyond your comprehension, but I, for one, feel this game would be so much better if all of the bullies would simply move on.


I can think of plenty reasons as to why not. Yeah, this game is geared more toward the younger kids, but we live in a world where prepubescent children could easily jump onto a computer and look at porn, order a gun off of eBay, or enter millions of sites where the F-bomb is dropped like Hiroshima. I can understand protecting kids to a certain extent (which this game does in spades), but at some point it's just meaningless and Constitution-infringing censorship. Why not just go the next logical 1984-like step and ban any text not created by KI (no open chat), or just ban talking altogether? Eliminate thought-crime before it happens.

Looking out is one thing, but you're about two sentences away from projecting a world where 23 year olds put teeth under their pillows and still wait for a fat man to come down the chimney in late December.

Survivor
Aug 17, 2009
16
Well, I think that the word noob or cheater should be allowed because they're just stupid words, I always tell everybody to just forget about it. Me? I deal with the stupid people that say that, sure it annoys me when in arena they call me a noob or cheater because I heal like CRAZY, but for the last time if you idiots cant listen ITS JUST A GAME! So either deal with the words and stuff or cry for the rest of your life, Not to be mean.

No curse words were used in my message

Rebecca GoldenFriend
Level 50, Grandmaster Ice

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
412
Honesly I am all for free speech and I DO get the feels here.

But if this is about pvp the only reason the friends say anything is because you can block the player and they say these things to pysch you out. Like in a real time game they are messing with you so that you are focused on the words and not what you are doing.

So call me a noob or whatever but if i dont answer its because I have ignored you and stopped reading awhile ago.

Defender
May 31, 2009
116
Well, I think that the word noob or cheater should be allowed because they're just stupid words

Yes, and so is the F bomb, and so many other offensive words. But they are banned and I daresay no one questions that. But where as a lot of the 4 letter words are childish insults, accusing someone of cheating is an accusation of character. And, when used on this site, 99.9% of the time it's used incorrectly, so to me there's more reason to ban it than a lot of those other words.

but for the last time if you idiots cant listen ITS JUST A GAME!

Calling someone an idiot just because they disagree with your opinion? Nice - way to take the high road.

but at some point it's just meaningless and Constitution-infringing censorship.

You are correct - at some point it may be. But that point is so far removed from the context of banning a word in an online GAME that THAT is meaningless.

Why not just go the next logical 1984-like step and ban any text not created by KI (no open chat), or just ban talking altogether?

Sorry, there is nothing logical about that step. One plus one does not equal 11.

...but you're about two sentences away from projecting a world where 23 year olds put teeth under their pillows and still wait for a fat man to come down the chimney in late December.

Lol! Love that. I have absolutely no rebuttal. (mostly because I'd hate to upset the toothfairy and ruin my chance at some easy money.)

It's apparent that there are quite a few folks that disagree with me - including the people at KI - so this is a moot point. Especially so because, regardless of whether anything happens or not, I'll continue to play the game with my daughter. However, nothing I've heard has convinced me that allowing people to insult, bully, or menace is in anyway a good thing. ESPECIALLY if it's (potentially) directed at kids.

The truth is that noone would ever call, say, a 4th grader an idiot to his/her face, or a 3rd grader a cheater to their face. However, many here would have no qualms about saying those very things online because of the veil of anonymity that the internet gives people, and who is to say that the people on the other end aren't the aforementioned grade school kids? Especially here where so many ARE kids?

Contrary to what others might think, I accept that my daughters will be exposed to the many evils life has in store, and in the big picture, name calling is so trivial. However, if there's a chance to remove / diminish / tone down some of that, is that really a bad thing? Perhaps I'm the only one.

mlb

Defender
Dec 23, 2009
129
"Caspeen" wrote:
Lol! Love that. I have absolutely no rebuttal. (mostly because I'd hate to upset the toothfairy and ruin my chance at some easy money.)


(in Elvis lip-snarl voice) Thank ya. Thank ya very much...

I'm the witty smart-aleck by nature.

It's apparent that there are quite a few folks that disagree with me - including the people at KI - so this is a moot point. Especially so because, regardless of whether anything happens or not, I'll continue to play the game with my daughter. However, nothing I've heard has convinced me that allowing people to insult, bully, or menace is in anyway a good thing. ESPECIALLY if it's (potentially) directed at kids.

The primary fallacy in logic I see in this is that you can't know by sight if someone actually is a kid. People don't have their real life ages listed in their wizards' names, and they even go as far as blocking most numbers to the point where you have to even speak in code to convey an age or any other numerical-based message. I really don't want to assume that every person in the game is a nine year old until proven otherwise, although from the conversations I've had with many in there, I can understand why I would think they were that young.

The truth is that noone would ever call, say, a 4th grader an idiot to his/her face, or a 3rd grader a cheater to their face. However, many here would have no qualms about saying those very things online because of the veil of anonymity that the internet gives people, and who is to say that the people on the other end aren't the aforementioned grade school kids? Especially here where so many ARE kids?

You must've grown up in a different era than I did. I was in grade school in the eighties and even I dealt with that. Grade school children insulting each other, especially as tame and mild of a word as "idiot"? Everyday for me. Nowadays children have to worry more about, like if that kid brought daddy's pistol to show and tell so he can pull another Columbine. I welcome a day where my biggest worry is being called a bad name, especially a non-expletive one.

Contrary to what others might think, I accept that my daughters will be exposed to the many evils life has in store, and in the big picture, name calling is so trivial. However, if there's a chance to remove / diminish / tone down some of that, is that really a bad thing? Perhaps I'm the only one.

Well, in the words of a popular sitcom of my days: You take the good, you take the bad, you take 'em both and there you have...well, I'll stop there before I get the jingle stuck in my head.

Survivor
Apr 28, 2009
37
Defender
Oct 14, 2008
141
Okay, i seriously think that if somebody calls somebody a cheater, they're either jelous, or just JOKING about it, like being sarcastic.
So i disagree to ban cheater, because that would not be fair, because there are some bosses in the spiral that actually WILL cheat on purpose, and by the means is on Halloween, where those towers come with the hard bosses to challenge yourself... I think those bosses cheat on purpose. And i mean the workers of wizard101 make them cheat. So it would be fair to call those bosses cheaters, but not able to? I bet most of the people who called people cheaters are sarcastic, especially if they're their friends.

Defender
May 31, 2009
116
luna0616 wrote:
I bet most of the people who called people cheaters are sarcastic, especially if they're their friends.


Uh...not so much.

Even a simple search of the Subjects of many posts on this board alone will highlight exactly what I think is so ridiculous about the word CHEATER - People who wild bolt are called cheaters, people who chain stun are called cheaters, people who use treasure cards are called cheaters, etc.

While some do not like these aspects of the game, NONE of the above are example of cheating since they are allowed in the game. Yet still, on the forum here and in arenas all over, folks are accusing other folks of cheating for no other reason than THEY think their opponent has done something wrong.

I know this from personal experience as well as I have been repeatedly been called a cheater for one thing or the other. As my first post described, I was called a cheater for simply layering a Tower Shield with a Treasure Card Tower Shield. Ridiculous.

So while there may be a few conversations like "the final boss in Brisk Breeze is a cheater", I guarantee that the bulk of that word is used INCORRECTLY accusing a fellow wizard of doing something wrong.

mlb

Explorer
Mar 19, 2010
65
Honestly i sort of half agree and half dont, i used to pvp quite a bit but a recently stopped with all the corruption going on. When i did play though some of my friends called me cheater i knew they didn't mean it because they just sometimes say it because they dont agree with the outcome of the match, probably becuase they lost. However when you face people who arent on your friends list in the arena it isn't much different either. They will sometimes say cheater because they dont agree with the otucome of the match too. They probably know that you didn't really cheat. Maybe those people have just lost a lot of matches and there getting rather fed up of losing all the time. As for noob thats the bit that i am not sure about, i have been called "noob" countless times on my lower level players, sometimes it's said as a joke sometimes it's said in a hurtful way but then again, the words "your mean" aren't usually said in a positive way, is that a cause to ban them too? I highly doubt so. Seems to me that you need to not be so sensitive, no offense but if someone called me a cheater in the arena i would just say "lol". :)

Survivor
Feb 09, 2010
7
Banning noob? Cheater? Obviously you are not mature enough for open chat yet. You will be hearig these things forever in W101, use Menu chat until you grow up and learn to tolerate such comments. :?

Defender
May 31, 2009
116
DivineNexus14 wrote:
Banning noob? Cheater? Obviously you are not mature enough for open chat yet. You will be hearig these things forever in W101, use Menu chat until you grow up and learn to tolerate such comments. :?


If you read the full post (assuming that you can, of course), you'd see that my objection in general isn't for me but for the many younger ones who shouldn't be subjected to such poor sportsmanship. Monkey see, monkey do - let the monkey's go elsewhere.

And as to my objection specifically to calling someone a cheater, not only is it used being used as a hostile accusation, it's also used incorrectly.

I am, indeed, mature enough, thanks, but I still think the game would be better without bullies / name callers. People who lash out and are quick to insult, much like...I know there's an example out there somewhere....hmmm...

mlb

1