Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A Proposed Possible Improvement to PVP

AuthorMessage
Delver
Feb 16, 2010
There are so many rants about what is bad about PVP and some suggestions have been made to help it. Many of those suggestions are made by those that may be seeking side objectives to help them or a particular school win more at PVP. Many of the suggestions / complaints end up nerfing spells that are extremely useful in PVE and engendering an even wider chasm between the PVP and PVE players. I’ve put some thought into a possible improvement to PVP that would hopefully negate the need for nerfing spells as well as answer many of the complaints I see posted. I’m sure it is not a perfect solution, but let me know what you think.

1. All duels last a maximum of 20 rounds of play. The winner is determined as follows:

a. You defeated the other player/ team. (This is the obvious goal of course.) You get 10 PVP ranking points for the out-right win.

b. Both player/teams survived for the full 20 rounds so the winner is calculated by a weighted formula ultimately determined by KI. It should take into account a number of factors but with a focus on dealing damage as well as being able to withstand damage taken. The emphasis is on damage inflicted because, after all, the goal is to defeat your opponent, not merely outlast them. Other factors to be included should be the total health at the start and end of the duel of the players, the amount of healing received, and the level and PVP ranking of the wizards involved. Healing is counted in the totals to give credit for the work healers do, but only at half its value. You need to be alive to get the best scores, but the emphasis should be on damage. The winner is the one with the most calculated battle points at the end of the duel. He/they are awarded 5 PVP ranking points for the time ended match win. The loser gets no points, but does not lose any either. In the event of a draw, no points are awarded to either side. For team PVP, the respective damage, health, wizard level and ranking for all team members are added together for calculation purposes. I’ve come up with a formula that I think meets those guidelines just to be sure it could be done. I’ve shown it below and you are welcome to plug in some numbers and try it out and to comment on any suggested changes. I’m no math genius so I’m sure there are better ideas out there, this is just a sample model.

2. No polymorph cards are allowed.

3. No ATTACK treasure cards are allowed other than those you enchanted yourself. This allows you to use spells that you have learned, not attack treasure cards you purchased that may be beyond your level or out of your school. (So yes, go to Unicorn Way and enchant away.) You can still use boosting and utility treasure cards and healing treasure cards. But remember healing only counts half in the score calculations.

4. Only minions for which you have learned the spell for will be allowed. No treasure card minions permitted.

5. As in the current PVP, no henchmen allowed.

6. All pets are permitted. Yes this means a level 1 or 2 wizard could have a pet that will give him the scarecrow, or efreet etc, but he still has to get the pips to use it.

7. All gear for your level is permissible unless some PVP only gear is developed. For the purists who really want to know who is the better strategist, I like the idea of only having your wand and using only your level 1 gear with base stats for all duels. But a lot of folks have worked hard to get the gear they use, so I’ve allowed all gear. And in truth, choice of gear does reflect different play styles, strategies, and skill levels so it does make sense to allow variation in gear.

8. Your PVP position ranking is determined by your total PVP ranking points from all duels times the number of wins and divided by the total number of duels.

9. Arena tickets are also awarded – 4 tickets for a loss or a draw, 8 tickets for a time ended win, 16 tickets for an out-right win.

I won’t deal with matching problems, but the formula below is meant to encourage team mates to be better proportioned in their abilities and to have everyone focused on inflicting damage.

Battle Points = (((E+(B*(A-B)/A)+(0.5*F))*(1-(ABS(C-D)/(C+D)))))*(G/100)
A = Beginning health of your wizard or wizards
B = Ending health of your wizard or wizards
C = Wizard level of Team One (your team)
D = Wizard level of Team Two (opposing team)
E = Total damage inflicted on the opposing wizard or wizards
F = Total healing you received in the battle, including any pet healing or minion healing
G = Your PVP Position Ranking at the start of the duel
ABS = Absolute Value of the expression

As noted above, for team play the respective values for all team members are added together for each variable.