Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A new idea for making PvP play fair

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
Playing last is too much of a disadvantage as the side that plays first knows in advance what shields, dispels, beguiles, weaknesses, and curses that it is up against and has first use of its pips in order to launch attacks and attack all cards at once against the side that goes last, while the side that goes last is lucky to get any card off without losing all pips in a failed casting attempt. To make matters worse, this unfairness of PvP game structure also prompts/encourages players to say some pretty nasty stuff against and between each other out of sheer frustration of the system.

I think the fix to this is to change it so that after each side selects its cards to be played during a turn, all cards are cast as if they had been simultaneously casted. That is to say any shields that are cast by players go onto players only after all other cards have been played, all beguiles, all dispels, all curses and negatives get placed only after all attacks have been made. Also since all attacks are really simultaneously casted, even if a player is killed their card would still be played. This resolves the disadvantage issue of going last over going first. Damage and healing cards would also be simultaneous, but that would mean that all damage would have to be added together at the same time and all healing as well. Basically all player turns would remain in order and everything would look the same except players that are killed would still cast and cast as if no new effects were upon them, and then at the end of the turn when all numbers are added and subtracted against each other the table would adjust to display who is alive and who is dead and by how much and with what effects that are upon them.

Champion
Jan 27, 2009
Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
thunderbird120 wrote:
That would totally eliminate any strategy...

if your only strategy is going first, then I am sad to inform you that there is a problem with it unless you can program it so you always go first (again, I did play once where a player on my side somehow was able to make our side go first for many rounds despite our side starting out playing last).

Survivor
Jul 22, 2009
seasnake wrote:
thunderbird120 wrote:

if your only strategy is going first, then I am sad to inform you that there is a problem with it unless you can program it so you always go first (again, I did play once where a player on my side somehow was able to make our side go first for many rounds despite our side starting out playing last).

So what your saying is both players cast spells at the same time. If you are, how would you kill the other person or the other person kills you? 8)

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
seasnake wrote:
thunderbird120 wrote:

That isn't what he's saying.

In turn-based PvP, we all know how to stack Traps as a team, how to wear down opponents as a team, et cetera. We can do this due to the distinct knowledge that we are in a specific order.

All players going at the same time, though... it's impossible to tell whether or not that ElementalBlade we're casting on the Storm Wizard will boost that Triton of his or not. Will the Satyr be partially wasted due to Mr. Death's boosted Vampire or not?

Another issue: Traps and Shields. Suppose two Wizards cast Helephant on the same target. The target has one FireShield, one ElementalTrap, and one Feint; which Spell hits what?