Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

20 million users and pvp mismatch excessive?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 10, 2009
I don't get it. I just saw a wizard101 page that said they have 20 million users. I find it very hard to believe then that when I go to ranked pvp and sign up for 1v1, I see between 24 and 71 each time depending on the time of day or night. Out of 20 million users, how many subscribe? I would guess at least a couple million? Out of say even one million subscribers, how can there be such a small number of pvp'ers in 1v1 each time I sign into it? How can there be such horrible mismatchs of levels and ranks?

I know most of you have seen post after post of complaints of being often mismatched against much higher leveled and or ranked players.

I have a simple partial fix if KI wants to hear it, but I am sure they have often heard of all of them. Since they have made it where a much higher leveled and or ranked player is matched with a lesser one often, why shouldn't the lesser one go first?

I simply can't believe with all the users that KI can't match pvp opponents better. They are not trying very hard.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Because out of all the active accounts on at any given time, most are likely to be engaged in PvE (it is the most time consuming). Then for those that are conducting PvP, they are split between 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4. That's why Pet Derby is so hard to get match. In that there is even less people signing up for competition.

Historian
May 01, 2010
I think that number is worldwide, so in one country, there can be a fraction of that (I think the united states has...maybe 9-10 million?) But anyway, new players hear the "horror stories" of the arena, and might not be very attracted to the arena, thus making it mostly older players, which are quitting by the day. Also, if you have noticed, is that the pvp system is getting more accurate, it seems to me, that a fair amount of the time, a high/low level team is matched against another high/low level team, and manipulating first turn, seems like a bad idea, because it would be abusable...

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
gabrielstovall wrote:
I don't get it. I just saw a wizard101 page that said they have 20 million users. I find it very hard to believe then that when I go to ranked pvp and sign up for 1v1, I see between 24 and 71 each time depending on the time of day or night. Out of 20 million users, how many subscribe? I would guess at least a couple million? Out of say even one million subscribers, how can there be such a small number of pvp'ers in 1v1 each time I sign into it? How can there be such horrible mismatchs of levels and ranks?

I know most of you have seen post after post of complaints of being often mismatched against much higher leveled and or ranked players.

I have a simple partial fix if KI wants to hear it, but I am sure they have often heard of all of them. Since they have made it where a much higher leveled and or ranked player is matched with a lesser one often, why shouldn't the lesser one go first?

I simply can't believe with all the users that KI can't match pvp opponents better. They are not trying very hard.

The issue? It's simple. Frustration.

Many have quit pvp out of frustration of losing and unfairness. Some also quit cause of rudeness.

Another reason is time zones.

In China, when it's day in the U.S., it's night in China. Late night. So take a couple million off the twenty million for the other side of the world.

range and data

Kingsisle doesn't track every single match out on the range of battles about to happen. That's a lot of battles. Plus, there are different versions of the game like the UK version. That might side track some battles too. Trust me, these three reasons are mostly why you don't see much.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
I glad this was posted, because some time ago, I was starting to think that the huge mistake in mistmatches was being fixed. It appeared at first that Levels where closer, and Warlord against Warlord was better.

Lately, I have started to see the mismatches showing up.
Warlord against Sargent, Level 55 against 70.
So it appears that the system may be better, it still have
a serious issue.

Joe.

Survivor
Aug 10, 2009
I have been testing KI's statement that the longer the wait on pvp matching, the greater the spread can be in levels and or ranks. I have found that more than two minutes gets risky quickly. I found that if I kept it to a minute or under before I left the que (1v1), that if it did hit, it was very close to my level. This is all done with a knight in the last couple days.

I suggest to all who wish to keep from being highly mismatched, that you leave the que if you haven't been selected within one minute for 1v1. Once you leave, you can go right back and sign up again. However, for 2v2 and above, I have no suggestions as those can try to select for hours.

Historian
May 01, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
I glad this was posted, because some time ago, I was starting to think that the huge mistake in mistmatches was being fixed. It appeared at first that Levels where closer, and Warlord against Warlord was better.

Lately, I have started to see the mismatches showing up.
Warlord against Sargent, Level 55 against 70.
So it appears that the system may be better, it still have
a serious issue.

Joe.

Was the warlord level 70, or 55? If it was 55, then it would make sense, 70, bad news...

From what I noticed, is that the pvp system tries to match up the teams with other friend teams of near same rank and level, (for each member) and as a last resort, it matches two randoms who are near the average of the players (to shorten time I guess....), and so not only they are at an advantage because of level, but the have the 1up on teamwork, probably rank, etc. So yes, the syste, has been getting better, but isnt quite there yet (this is for 2v2).

Mastermind
Sep 19, 2009
Not all 20 million players are on at the same time and, not all of the players online are signed up for pvp at the moment.