Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why does Pet Hatching cost so much?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 13, 2009
I finally got my pet up to adult after countless hours of farming good pet snacks and playing those pet games (also buying crowns for ...Then i find out that to breed a common pet with another type of pet that is common/uncommon costs as much as 5-10k...and just from listening to others at the Hatchery, it costs 80k to breed the rare pets...AT LEAST 80k ',:S...why is this so expensive?

Defender
Jul 15, 2009
You are looking at some of the older posts.

Most hatches for higher pedigree pets will cost you about 40 - 45K.

As to why it is so expensive:

- Pedigree is defined by the total 'dots' of all talents available to a specific pet type. Uncommon has one dot, rare has two, ect.

- As a general rule, the rarer the talent, the better effect it will have for the pet. (Spell Proof is a Epic or 4 'dot' talent. Spritely is a Ultra-rare or 3 dot talent, and school-specific accuracy boosts tend to be Rare, 2 'dot' talents.)

- The more high-dot slots your pet has, the more likely it will get something relatively useful for your character. Note: Your mileage will vary. You can get a 3-passive trait School pet or Storm Hound just as easily as a 3 passive trait Piggle. One is just a whole lot more painful than the other.

The cost of hatching relates directly on the incidence of the traits being bred.
You are not spending 40K to get a new pet per se, although that is the result.
You are spending 40k on the chance that your Satyr will get spell proof, or your Firezilla will get Spritely.

This is a gamble. Only you can determine if it is worthwhile for your character's needs and your own desires.

Survivor
May 02, 2009
Naludog11 wrote:
I finally got my pet up to adult after countless hours of farming good pet snacks and playing those pet games (also buying crowns for ...Then i find out that to breed a common pet with another type of pet that is common/uncommon costs as much as 5-10k...and just from listening to others at the Hatchery, it costs 80k to breed the rare pets...AT LEAST 80k ',:S...why is this so expensive?

I am also very confused because i spent a lot of crowns to level my pet 2 adult, then when trying 2 hatch finding that i have 2 pay a sum of gold that only someone w/ unlimited crowns can get. i really dont care about special abilities here, i collect w101 pets. i was really mad when ravenwood news said they put lower prices for hatching, yet saw that it would take multiple quests from DS to pay. i hope they lower it further. yours truly,

Pet Fanatic

Explorer
May 06, 2010
Mario7709's little brother says:idk I wanted a pet, it costs too much to hatch it,it is not nice

Survivor
Nov 21, 2009
Naludog11 wrote:
I finally got my pet up to adult after countless hours of farming good pet snacks and playing those pet games (also buying crowns for

Assuming you dont even feed your pet, and buy energy, its not unreasonable to think you can play 10 pet games a day in 30 minutes. If you can get just over 3 points pet game on average, it will take you 8 days, for a total of 4 hours work to go from teen to adult. 4 hours hardly qualifies as countless.

Naludog11 wrote:

...Then i find out that to breed a common pet with another type of pet that is common/uncommon costs as much as 5-10k...and just from listening to others at the Hatchery, it costs 80k to breed the rare pets...AT LEAST 80k ',:S...why is this so expensive?

I would think cost is set so it requires some effort to make the money. The high end pets cost about up to 50k to breed. A 2h run at Malistaire with some friends nets me around 5-10k worth of items, when selling at bazaar. So a pet hatch represents 10-20 hours of playtime, which i think is spot on. Its been ages since i played the mid levels, but i would say its out of reach for a level 30 to make 1k an hour killing mobs, so i dont see the problem with hatching lower end pets, unless of course you only have reached wizard city, in which case you should level instead.

Survivor
Dec 06, 2009
Also, Pedigree affects Hatching Costs. If you're trying to mix two P-60 pets, you're bound to find costs in the 50-55k range. Miguel from our Project managed to lower his Ice Hound's pedigree down to around P-27, so hatching against that pet took about 17k with my P-53 Ice Colossus. Thus, if you're interested in just cosmetic equipment, try hatching to decrease your Pedigree Number (continually hatch the next Ice Hound child with an Imp or Firecat from the Pet Pavilion's Pet Shop.

If you're more interested in Statistics and Boosts, consider that creating your ideal pet is analogous to farming for Epic loot in other games. These pursuits for the best equipment bonuses involve patience, time, and sometimes resources. The coolest difference between Advanced Pets and farming for loot is that you DO have some influence/control over what your bonuses are!

Finally, if breeding had a lower fee, imagine that server memory will decrease due to increased instances of mixing without a costly price. More pets will be created if the effort behind this process is made less tedious or inexpensive.

--KBB

Defender
Jul 15, 2009
Its been ages since i played the mid levels, but i would say its out of reach for a level 30 to make 1k an hour killing mobs...

It depends what school your 30th level wizard is, and where he is.

A 30th level Life or Myth wizard in MB will likely not make 1k.
A 30th level Storm in MS.... might, depending on where he/she farms.

But yes, unless your character is on DS, as a general rule you are better served leveling than farming. Once there, find a mob that doesn't resist or shield against your school, and then go to town. 8) A well executed deck will have you killing a set of 4 every five minutes or so, in around 3 to 5 rounds.

I try to find a set that drops snacks as well as stuff, for the obvious reasons.