Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

trying to farm storm cat

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 09, 2011
Is there a trick or quest or bur for Herkir? My husband and i have killed him defiantly more than 40 times, probably over 100 and still no storm cat. I'm wondering if it's been changed recently. We're on our 15th try tonight right now.
Is it a solo only drop? Is there another quest i have to do? Do i need to stand on my head while juggling eggs and singing Zimbabwe's national anthem?
Seriously though, any known bugs, tips, mistakes that keep the cat from dropping? or am i just incredibly unlucky? All the posts i've looked at are "I got it on my first try" or "I had to fight him 10 times!"
and just finished the 15th try tonight and got a pretty hat.... Herkir! Not a hat. Cat CAT drop the CAT!! GAAA!

Explorer
Mar 06, 2011
if you cant get it then its probably a solo drop or you arent fighting the right guy but its probably a solo drop

Survivor
May 09, 2011
Really? There are bosses that won't drop pets if you have other people in the battle? 0.0

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
stikle303 wrote:
if you cant get it then its probably a solo drop or you arent fighting the right guy but its probably a solo drop

I am 99% positive there is no such thing as "solo drop."

Survivor
May 09, 2011
That's what i was thinking, since it's got a sigil in the front, but the people who farm are solo, so they didn't know if it would drop for a group. We farmed another 20 times last night and 12 more this morning and still no cat. :\

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
I farmed Herkir last year when with my Ice GM when I was starting a storm wizard. I understand why you get susperstitious when farming and you down get drops after mutiple tries but I believe it is just random. It does not matter what "slot" you are in or how many players are in the battle.

I collected about 7 storm cats for myself, and 2 for my sons account. Sometimes it would drop to the first player, sometimes to the second player. Once I got drops in back to back fights and other times I would go as many as 20 or more battles without a pet drop. I farmed at different times of the day and in many different realms but there is no pattern to how the drops came.
40 battles without a drop is an extremely long drought though from my recollection, especially if that is 40 each. (Sometimes KI modifies the pet drops as in the case where the Silver Collosus stopped dropping the Icezilla last year)

I have farmed for dozens of pets and many other items and I can assure you that in my experience (and I am not a statistics freak) it is completely random.
In case you are curious, I kept farming for the cat until I trained one that had good talents for questing.

Survivor
May 28, 2011
UGh I feel your pain!

I have been farming him for a week or more now with my other char as well as a friend. One day we farmed him nearly non stop for about 10 hours and none of us on any of our chars have a single storm cat.

I would really like KI to confirm whether this pet is still obtainable from herkir or not because I getting really upset over it. It's become almost an obsession for me now.

I'm looking into how to contact them about it anyways, because all the threads I've read have said things like "He dropped it on my first try!" or "I farmed him 10 times and got 6 of them!" and as I mentioned I have probably fought him over 100 times and not has a single one. :\

Explorer
Mar 06, 2011
no there are no solo drops its just harder to get pets when there are more people in the battle (i did a little expereiment to.)

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
griffonlady wrote:
Is there a trick or quest or bur for Herkir? My husband and i have killed him defiantly more than 40 times, probably over 100 and still no storm cat. I'm wondering if it's been changed recently. We're on our 15th try tonight right now. Is it a solo only drop? Is there another quest i have to do? Do i need to stand on my head while juggling eggs and singing Zimbabwe's national anthem? Seriously though, any known bugs, tips, mistakes that keep the cat from dropping? or am i just incredibly unlucky? All the posts i've looked at are "I got it on my first try" or "I had to fight him 10 times!" and just finished the 15th try tonight and got a pretty hat.... Herkir! Not a hat. Cat CAT drop the CAT!! GAAA!
just like in life, you never seem to find something unless you're not looking for it. i wasn't farming for anything, just happened to decide to fight him the one time (it wasn't my first time fighting him, don't worry) and happened to get it. i had never even seen a storm cat before, but that drop was what made me decide to make a storm wizard for my final wizard. anyway, it's all just chance, so good luck! -gabriel darkthorn, adept diviner (and crew)

Survivor
May 09, 2011
well now i feel a bit annoyed. I got an answer from tech support.

"I'm sorry for the frustration, but I'm afraid there's not much we can do to get you the drops you're looking for. Boss drops are random, so there's always a chance that you won't get what you're looking for. Unfortunately, the way statistics work, there's no guarantee that you'll ever get the specific drop you're trying to get. The best we can suggest is that you take a break from these bosses and head somewhere else for a while and take a break from the repetition. When you're ready to try again, I hope you'll find yourself rejuvenated and your fighting spirit back! Keep at it, though, persistence is a great quality in a wizard!

Good luck! "

Later on i found out storm cat is no longer dropped (Wiki page)

So why couldn't the person working for the company say that it's not a drop any more? o.0 I've wasted hours farming that twerp for nothing because some one who was supposed to know and help me with information didn't want to do their job.... I know i'm playing a game which is basically a waste of time... but for crying out loud that is no way to run a business. Tell you one thing. I'm not renewing my subscription. Sony might be slow, but they do their work. I'm going back to Ever Quest 2.

Defender
Sep 18, 2009
They won't tell you if is is still available because keeping people farming keeps them playing. And some things are just crud luck. I wanted the unicorn statue something fierce since I wanted all the Wizard City statues to put in my home. I tracked every drop from every battle until I got it, and on my life wizard, I had to kill Lady Blackhope 85 times to get the statue. On my other 3 wizards I tracked, the most times I had to try before getting the statue was 6.
Sorry you didn't get your storm cat. While it would be nice to have a current and maintained list of available pet drops, I doubt it will ever happen.
Though maybe that upside down, egg-juggling, anthem singing routine will convince them. It sounds impressive to me.

Defender
Jan 09, 2011
hp1055cm wrote:
I farmed Herkir last year when with my Ice GM when I was starting a storm wizard. I understand why you get susperstitious when farming and you down get drops after mutiple tries but I believe it is just random. It does not matter what "slot" you are in or how many players are in the battle.

I collected about 7 storm cats for myself, and 2 for my sons account. Sometimes it would drop to the first player, sometimes to the second player. Once I got drops in back to back fights and other times I would go as many as 20 or more battles without a pet drop. I farmed at different times of the day and in many different realms but there is no pattern to how the drops came.
40 battles without a drop is an extremely long drought though from my recollection, especially if that is 40 each. (Sometimes KI modifies the pet drops as in the case where the Silver Collosus stopped dropping the Icezilla last year)

I have farmed for dozens of pets and many other items and I can assure you that in my experience (and I am not a statistics freak) it is completely random.
In case you are curious, I kept farming for the cat until I trained one that had good talents for questing.

it happened AFTER the pet update so it may be he doesnt drop it anymore its retired or just bad luck