I have been playing the new Pet Derby game in the Test Realm with my Wraith, Lord Maximus. We have never gotten 3rd place before, so I would like to post my different strategies for it. *Please post other Derby strategies here*.
Also, my Wraith is on the Ancient stage, so the different terrain cost might be more for you.
1. When on Cobblestone, push the up arrow as many times as possible. It only costs 2.
2. If your pet is slower in water, try taking the land path if there is one. There might be an obstacle in the way, for extra morale, unlike the water.
3. When brick walls come up, immediately switch to a different lane than the brick wall. You cannot break through these.
4. When a long chain of obstacles come up in different lanes, push the right or left arrow immediately after pushing the Space Bar. This way, after you jump/duck over/under the obstacle, you automatically go left/right.
5.When near the end of a race, use all of the points that you have left.
6. Try to keep a speed boost on at all times.
7. When you see an obstacle, don't avoid it. Get into its lane to get Morale!
8. When a star is in sight, get it at all costs! They can give you a defensive shield from other Pet abilities and obstacles for 5 seconds, or they can give you a speed boost. Maybe both!
9. When having a star's defensive effect on you, at least try to get Morale from obstacles, instead of taking advantage of it and running into them.
10. Always try to switch to a Cobblestone lane, unless there is a star in a different lane.
11. When making turns, try to get into a lane closest to the edge of the turn, unless, of course, there is a star/Cobblestone lane.