Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

how do you get pets to cast there own spell?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 28, 2013
ok so i am fairly new to pet hatching and i was doing a dungeon with a random girl and her pet was casting spells and then she was casting spells. can some one please explain to me how to get my pet to that,
p.s. can a school pet do this? i am pretty sure anything would help.

Survivor
Jan 18, 2011
Hi.

Your pet has a list of talents that it can learn when it grows. It has 10 talents that are locked, and each time your pet grows (to teen, adult, ancient, epic, mega), it unlocks one of its 10 talents.

That means your pet can unlock up to 5 of the 10 talents it knows.

There are talents called "may cast ___" which are the spells your pet can cast.

For a list of "may cast" talents, see this page: http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Category:May_Cast_Talents

You should search your pet on the wiki: www.wizard101central.com/wiki/

It will tell you what talents your pet can learn. Your pet might not even know any "may cast" talents. What you will have to do is hatch your pet with another pet that knows these spells, or you have to buy one with crowns.

Delver
Oct 29, 2013
Some pets have "may cast" talents in their pools. If such a talent is manifested the pet may cast a certain spell.

Other pets add item cards to a wizard's deck when the pet is equipped; these cards are ones the pet gives when it's a certain age or are manifested during pet training. When the card comes up in the wizard's deck and he/she chooses to cast it, the pet is shown doing the casting.

Some pets have both may cast talents and give cards. My necromancer's primary pet is one; he adds a Feint item card to the deck and has five may cast talents (Batusi, Unicorn, Fairy Friend, Ardent Amplifier, Incredibly Infallible) manifested so during fights he may cast Lifebat, Unicorn, Fairy, Amplify, or Infallible at any time.

Miranda Nightsinger, Exalted Necromancer
Scarlet Windhammer, Grandmaster Pyromancer
Iridian Lotusblade, Magus Sorcerer
Sabrina Boomblossom, Initiate Theurgist

Defender
Mar 28, 2011
Not all pets come with "may-cast" talents, but some do. Others can gain them through hatching, so you can look for a pet that potentially has them or hatch with a player whose pet has them.

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Category:Talents

There's a list of talents. You can click on a talent to see what pets come with it. Remember though, there's only a chance to get a certain talent so it might take more than one try.

Mastermind
Dec 05, 2012
you gotta be lucky and get it as a pet talent when you level up your pet. you cannot just declare your pet can do it.

Mastermind
Dec 05, 2012
and yes, all pets can cast their own spells.

Survivor
May 27, 2013
ashley fairyhunter on Aug 5, 2014 wrote:
ok so i am fairly new to pet hatching and i was doing a dungeon with a random girl and her pet was casting spells and then she was casting spells. can some one please explain to me how to get my pet to that,
some pets have this ability where they can cast things but you have to train it to get them. like say for instance most people want pets to cast healing spells or cast shields. you can also hatch to combine abilities like if your storm pet EX: had healing current and my ice pet had tower shield we could hatch to combine those abilities and hope fully you can get what you want. to know what abilities pets have i recommend you to go to wizard101 central and go into category pets and youll know all their abilities and where you can get them.

i really hope this helps you
- chris dawnmender
- lvl 64
-

Survivor
May 07, 2009
You're in luck If you want to start off simple, you can go to celestia to buy a starfish for 10,000 gold but it's worth it! My first starfish got May cast sprite at adult and it's easy to get....

Alicia mistgrove lvl 66 Wizard

Survivor
Sep 28, 2013
or anything to do with pet hatching, i dont know what to look for or who to hatch with or what ill get or any thing so any information on the topic would help

Survivor
May 27, 2013
do you mean hybrids go wizard 101 central, go to pet category and search hybrids and it will show you the parents and where you can get them and favorite snacks etc.

Mastermind
Dec 05, 2012
hatching doesn't matter, you have to level it up.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Blaze Deathward on Aug 6, 2014 wrote:
hatching doesn't matter, you have to level it up.
Leveling is a waste if it doesn't have the talent. You have to hatch for the talent, or get a pet that has it in the pool, then level it up.

Hatching matters a lot of you want combinations of talents that doesn't come on a first generation pet. It's the only way to get them.

Survivor
Sep 08, 2013
All pets have abilities that might be helpful for you or just helpful for your pet.
Most beginner pets that can be bought in areas like the Shopping District, The Oasis, and Digmoore Station usually don't provide a lot of good spells, they usually give talents that increase their Strength, Intellect, Agility, Will, and Power - Those are called selfish talents. However, pets that have been gotten from the Crown Shop, bundles, promotional vendors, and or rare boss drops usually give better talents suitable for the player. Even though not all give an item card or a May cast, they still give other good stats. Common pets may have the chance to provide more max health, max mana, accuracy, damage, and resistance. Those abilities can't be obtained when you first get the pet, they have to be trained first
For example, I have a Shaolin Monkey pet from the pagoda bundle. He first starts out with Time of Legend, but over time as I've trained him to adult, he has unlocked Pip o Plenty (+3% Power Pip Chance) and Health Gift (+70 More max health) Originally when I first got pip o plenty at teen it only had 1% more and at adult 56 more health. He is at 300/500 xp, so now that talent has boosted.
May cast talents also don't unlock at the beginning as well. Like the other talents, you have to train him first. Some don't even cast a spell for you, they usually give a small spell like a shield or a blade or rarely negative wards and charms, and very few can stun.
Most people don't really get the talents they really want for a certain pet, but usually they hatch them with another pet with better stats. For example, if you have a pet that can give a balance blade but you also want it to heal you, you can hatch it with a healing pet, and there may be a chance you might have both stats.
Hope this helps!
Hunter ShadowRunner, 44

Champion
Jul 13, 2013
Blaze Deathward on Aug 6, 2014 wrote:
and yes, all pets can cast their own spells.
No, all pets can not cast their own spells. Some just aren't good enough to do that, but most have at least one spell.
But not all pets can cast their own spell.

Survivor
Apr 16, 2014
this is just a chance of it happening. i have a starfish pet that has sprite sometimes it will cast it more than twice in a battle and sometimes it will take like ten. it is just like pip chance inconsistent.

p.s. a pet can cast sprite it is the kracken i believe.

Survivor
Apr 16, 2014
Alicia Mistgrove on Aug 6, 2014 wrote:
You're in luck If you want to start off simple, you can go to celestia to buy a starfish for 10,000 gold but it's worth it! My first starfish got May cast sprite at adult and it's easy to get....

Alicia mistgrove lvl 66 Wizard
lol my starfish was a struggle. i am a storm and i saw a talent in the wiki and it had a heal. ported to my friend in cl bought it. at teen it gave me may cast ice blade and i am storm I:. at adult it gave me health witch was not the worst and finally at ancient i got it