Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hatching?!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 23, 2013
I have seen many people with pets with talents they are not supposed to have. Like Polar Cats having sprite, and fairy, and unicorn, and spell-proof, and so on. So i was wondering: is this an example of genetics? Do you pass traits on to a completely new pet? It would explain why my Rescue Rover has twenty percent storm critical. Plz help me.

Talon Wildsword, Magus Pyromancer, Lvl 39

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
All pets have 10 possible talents and 5 set when hatched. Those 5 are the ones they will learn when trained. When you hatch new pets, the new pet will get it's 10 possible talents from the combined 20 talents possible in the parents. It's a mixture of both parent pets.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
talon wildsword on Feb 10, 2014 wrote:
I have seen many people with pets with talents they are not supposed to have. Like Polar Cats having sprite, and fairy, and unicorn, and spell-proof, and so on. So i was wondering: is this an example of genetics? Do you pass traits on to a completely new pet? It would explain why my Rescue Rover has twenty percent storm critical. Plz help me.

Hatching with the correct parents can gain those traits for the pet, yes. There is no guarantee, though that the offspring will get spritely if one of the parents has it. The problem ensues when you have to hatch over and over again to get those stats; hatching is quite expensive.

Explorer
Jan 27, 2011

Yes, hatching gives the chance of passing desired traits from one pet to another or to obtain an entirely new pet. Any pet can have any talent, you just need to hatch with the talents you want and continue to train your hatchling. Now as for what talents are passed that is, at least in my field of knowledge, unknown. Normally if two pets share some of the same traits the shared traits could pass on to the next pet or not pass on at all (or even create a new talent). It's just all about what pets your pair up to hatch and having a little to good amount of luck.

R.I.P.
Morgrim, Lvl. 83

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
thats exactly how it works hatching mixes up the traits of both parents into hatched pet over many times of doing this your finely tuned pet with the exact traits you want can be acheived its hard work but well worth it in the end :) i just wish it was a way to predict what the pet was going to have before using up your snacks and growing a bad pet

Survivor
Dec 23, 2013
Thanks guys. Now here is another question; my polar fox (at start) had a 4% resistance. Now it has 6%. What is going on here!? My friend says it goes up each time you level it up, but It has not leveled up since it has learned the 4% resistance. Plz help

Talon Wildsword, Lvl 39, Fire

Delver
Jun 27, 2013
AC3Z...

Your traits manifest in a certain place.

Tower shield, on my pets, always shows up in the top 3, and always above Spell Proof. Both are Epics, so I know when my pets hatch, that if there are epics up top, and one parent had something not epic up there, that the first is tower shield, and the second in Proof.

Proof is ALWAYS, in my pets at least, above Spell Defy, which is a rare, always above Sprite which is a rare. both of these talents always manifest for me in the middle 4.
Fairy always seems to manifest in the bottom half, slots 6and 7 for me. Deer knight in the bottom 3. Brazen Bezerker always bottom 2.
May cast Hex, has always been the very bottom slot for me.
Energizer bunny and Unicorn always turn up in the bottom 3 for me, but never on the very bottom.

I just hatched this week, trying to gain May Cast Balanceblade and may cast dragonblade on my Armaments. I've gotten them both, which both came from other pets where they were top 2 talents, and both came over onto my armaments in the top 2 spots. Haven't gotten both on 1 yet, but that will come.

My Armaments look like this at hatch. These are it's traits

01.Ultra Rare 01. May Cast Dragonblade
02.Epic 02.Tower Shield
03.Epic 03.Spell Proof
04.Rare 04.Spritely
05.Rare 05.Spell Defy
06.Uncommon 06.Fairy
07.Rare 07.Health Gift
08.Epic 08.Unicorn
09.Epic 09.Energizing Bunny
10.Rare 10.May Cast Hex

From months and Months of hatches, I know these traits are all in these spots.
There's a system as to where traits end up, you just have to figure it out.

Defender
Oct 27, 2013
Thanks guys. Now here is another question; my polar fox (at start) had a 4% resistance. Now it has 6%. What is going on here!? My friend says it goes up each time you level it up, but It has not leveled up since it has learned the 4% resistance. Plz help

if you train the pets stats, the pets talent bonuses will go up .

like when my pet leveled up to teen, it gained critical striker and only had +3 universal crit rating.

now my pet is halfway to epic and has +27 universal crit rating.

my polar fox stats are all maxed (except exp)

hope it helps

Explorer
Jan 27, 2011

When a pet learns a status talent, the status of that talent increases as certain pet traits are increased. You said its resistance is raising (which is good!) that means it probably learn Spell Proof am I right (since it's at 6%)? So, if you continue to raise it's Strength and Agility traits your resistance talent will continue to raise until it reaches maximum lol this is a GOOD thing, it just means that talent still has a ways to go until it reaches its full potential

R.I.P.
Morgrim, Lvl. 85

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
sargo42

thats awesome and pretty detailed may i hatch with you sometime maybe you can give me some tips on pet hatching since i am a novice really at it thx for that detailed explanation though very informative

Survivor
Dec 23, 2013
Yes, my Polar fox does have spell-proof. She is ancient now and she has 8% universal resist now . I am trying to make her learn spell defy, but i just leveled her up to ancient and she got the talent hex :(. So I guess I am gonna have to hatch a new pet.

Delver
Jun 27, 2013
ac3
I'd be glad to hatch with you
Give me a time, and realm for this weekend, and I'll do my best to get one of my Armaments there for you.

Morgrim
LvL 95 Death
LvL 85 Balance

Keira LvL 58 Storm

Logan LvL55 Myth

Explorer
Jan 27, 2011
talon wildsword on Feb 13, 2014 wrote:
Yes, my Polar fox does have spell-proof. She is ancient now and she has 8% universal resist now . I am trying to make her learn spell defy, but i just leveled her up to ancient and she got the talent hex :(. So I guess I am gonna have to hatch a new pet.
Lol you still have 2 more levels to go, so don't give up on her yet! My polar fox has learned (in this order): May Cast Hex, Spell Defy, May cast Unicorn, and Armor Piercer (gives 3% pierce). Lol I want her to learn either May Cast Fairy or Spell Proof, since I know she has both of them, and she's halfway to Mega. As long as they don't learn a selfish talent (a talent that benefits their stats and traits only and not yours) the pet is worth leveling :D

And if you reach Mega and find it's an ok but not desired pet (I don't use the word perfect because a 'perfect pet' differs depending on your wants/needs and play style) you can always hatch again with yourself or someone that has the talents you want! XD

R.I.P.
Morgrim, Lvl. 85

Defender
Oct 27, 2013
i want my polar fox to give may cast vegance or hex but i never got neither

its 496 exp to epic taking A FULL MONTH to train it to this far

it got these talents: in order:

-critical striker (at teen)
-unstoppable (at adult)
-and cassy i think at ancient

pet needs to be raised well :)