Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Do the players and yourselves a favor

AuthorMessage
Explorer
May 17, 2009
55
Wizard 101 staff, many of us have figured ways to evolve our pets to epic without necessarily paying for about 3 dozen mega snack packs. So please make it a choice to be able to select pet talents for a certain amount of crowns. I remember seeing something about not being able to effect the nature of the spiral and thats why that isn't possible, but things change as time passes by, afterall isn't being able to train pets and mix breed an evolution in itself? SO guys start making a profit on pets again and just let us pay to choose our pets talents. And we finally dont have to continuously hatch and hatch until we have a pet with all the talents we'd like. And if you say it'll be too easy, its not! Afterall we do have to find those talents first, right? And many of us will still not want to waste too much time raising that pet and still buy mega snacks and energy potions. You'll be making a profit and we'll save a great deal of time, so make a great decision and let this be one of the next biggest updates.


Squire
Jan 21, 2010
534
Gambling encourages hope. Hope will rob you blind. That is why I doubt that we will even be able to pay crowns to select from a list of talents. We won't even be able to pay to exclude possible unwanted talents. As long as there is no guarantee, people hope. There is also the, "he got it, I can get it too," and the, "I am just as lucky, 'good as,' everybody else." They keep failing and keep trying because they know success is possible. The problem is; they don't take into account, the fact that chance does not care. Politics, games of skill, tests of strength; in all of these a person can acquire an, "edge." No one has an edge when it comes to blind-naked-chance, it doesn't care who you are or what you do, you get what it gives you and that is it. People continue to believe that they can influence pure chance. They hope for a favorable outcome. They hope and they spend, and hope and spend more.

If you are not willing to give up then I suggest budgeting your time and/or money, a month at a time till you happen to make your perfect pet.
All of the popular online games I have seen have some kind of chance based thing somewhere.
They all have it because it always makes money, a lot of money, every single time.
Do you understand?
This money making strategy never, ever, fails.
No matter who wins or loses the house always wins. This is an important life lesson that few people learn. Again, even letting you buy a skill is nowhere near as profitable as allowing you to try and pull it from a random bank. Even if I happen to get the skill I want the first time, there will be some unfortunate wizard who has to try fifty times to get the same result, which more than pays for my instant success.

The only way to beat this system is if everyone were satisfied with whatever skill they happen to get, which would be very similar to when pets were just a fashion accessory...

Armiger
May 10, 2010
2080
zebulous wrote:
Gambling encourages hope. Hope will rob you blind. That is why I doubt that we will even be able to pay crowns to select from a list of talents. We won't even be able to pay to exclude possible unwanted talents. As long as there is no guarantee, people hope. There is also the, "he got it, I can get it too," and the, "I am just as lucky, 'good as,' everybody else." They keep failing and keep trying because they know success is possible. The problem is; they don't take into account, the fact that chance does not care. Politics, games of skill, tests of strength; in all of these a person can acquire an, "edge." No one has an edge when it comes to blind-naked-chance, it doesn't care who you are or what you do, you get what it gives you and that is it. People continue to believe that they can influence pure chance. They hope for a favorable outcome. They hope and they spend, and hope and spend more.

If you are not willing to give up then I suggest budgeting your time and/or money, a month at a time till you happen to make your perfect pet.
All of the popular online games I have seen have some kind of chance based thing somewhere.
They all have it because it always makes money, a lot of money, every single time.
Do you understand?
This money making strategy never, ever, fails.
No matter who wins or loses the house always wins. This is an important life lesson that few people learn. Again, even letting you buy a skill is nowhere near as profitable as allowing you to try and pull it from a random bank. Even if I happen to get the skill I want the first time, there will be some unfortunate wizard who has to try fifty times to get the same result, which more than pays for my instant success.

The only way to beat this system is if everyone were satisfied with whatever skill they happen to get, which would be very similar to when pets were just a fashion accessory...


Very well said and very true. Could not have said it any better myself!

Champion
Jul 30, 2010
441
if that was true all the "richer" players would always have the advantage in pvp and pet derby and nobody would pay for them anymore.

Explorer
May 17, 2009
55
zebulous wrote:
Gambling encourages hope. Hope will rob you blind. That is why I doubt that we will even be able to pay crowns to select from a list of talents. We won't even be able to pay to exclude possible unwanted talents. As long as there is no guarantee, people hope. There is also the, "he got it, I can get it too," and the, "I am just as lucky, 'good as,' everybody else." They keep failing and keep trying because they know success is possible. The problem is; they don't take into account, the fact that chance does not care. Politics, games of skill, tests of strength; in all of these a person can acquire an, "edge." No one has an edge when it comes to blind-naked-chance, it doesn't care who you are or what you do, you get what it gives you and that is it. People continue to believe that they can influence pure chance. They hope for a favorable outcome. They hope and they spend, and hope and spend more.

If you are not willing to give up then I suggest budgeting your time and/or money, a month at a time till you happen to make your perfect pet.
All of the popular online games I have seen have some kind of chance based thing somewhere.
They all have it because it always makes money, a lot of money, every single time.
Do you understand?
This money making strategy never, ever, fails.
No matter who wins or loses the house always wins. This is an important life lesson that few people learn. Again, even letting you buy a skill is nowhere near as profitable as allowing you to try and pull it from a random bank. Even if I happen to get the skill I want the first time, there will be some unfortunate wizard who has to try fifty times to get the same result, which more than pays for my instant success.

The only way to beat this system is if everyone were satisfied with whatever skill they happen to get, which would be very similar to when pets were just a fashion accessory...


Personally i have no idea what you mean by this is making them money alot of money....because idk about you but most of us have found ways around paying for so many, many mega snacks for a gamble, and I guess what you just failed to realize is that you mentioned that this is in fact a GAMBLE (sometimes with real money cause of mega snacks), while this is actually a family game. There are many ways to level up pets quickly without paying an actual dime, and i'd say most players have taken advatage of these opportunities. So many that KI actually tried to take some of these methods away for a short time. Also what you call hope, i call a waste of time and energy chasing false dreams in the same boring ol' games for a maximum of 4 pet xp and only if you do good. Maybe if how good you do decided how much xp you got it'd be different, but no all we get is pet feeding but what good is that if you rarely get xp and get useless things in exchange. And i can't believe anyone even mentioned anything about "rich" people having advantages cause if your willing to spend money on crowns and subscriptions, then you undoubtedly would want to purchase an option like this, so dont say only people with money would get it cause any player that wants gain whatever advantage possible would want this, i know i hardly have any money and would take advantage of an option like this. Someone else may say something like but once you have your "perfect pet" that'll be it and once everyone has one they'll start losing money, but thats wrong because as long as new pets and talents continue coming out, everyone will want the best of the best, not to mention new players that come into the game and have to start from scratch. Some people will even have more than one pet for different occasions and opponents. In fact something like this would most likely make them more money and satisfy more players because it'll no longer be a GAMBLE anymore, but a 100% sure thing, which would inspire the purchase of more mega snacks and more energy elixirs. But right now, all pets are doing is having people cross their fingers and hope for the best with snacks they farmed and crafted for, and leaving people dissapointed 99% of the time. Bottom line is right now pets aren't living up to their full potential for KI and players alike, and most people often have to settle for something thats much less than perfect, despite spending so much time getting gold and even more time getting the best snacks (because MOST of us prefer not to pay for something so expensive i might add). Right now its all about luck, they should at the very least let your skill determine the pets skill or just let us pay for it either way most people i've talked to (and thats A LOT) dont contribute to the money they're making you mentioned above, and that few that do are just getting smaller and smaller, so why not make a good decision like this? Most likely cause of pvp'ers AS USUAL? well guess what, they could easily save up and take advantage of an option like this when they can just like almost every single strategic thinking player would.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
534
Wealthy players get to fail more often... They can raise pets faster by buying mega snacks. That is about it.

I mean; if you want a perfect pet A with four specific skills...
You have a pet A with two skills you want and breed it with pet B that has the other two skills you want. You get a pet B... Trying again you get a pet A then raise it to teen, but it has the wrong skill. You try again raise it to teen, then to adult and it learns the wrong skill. You try again and get another pet B. You eventually get another pet A that has the two skills that pet B had. At least you can breed two pet A and never have to worry about getting the wrong pet. You are still going to have the chance of getting the wrong skills. Keeping in mind that raising a pet to epic takes more time than raising it to teen, adult, and ancient combined. At which point I would ask, "do I really need four skills?"

So the wealthy player wastes two hundred dollars in one month, while the... less wealthy player wastes two hundred dollars in four months. Neither player gets even three out of the four skills they want. Meanwhile a mutual friend of theirs gets three talents they wanted and an ok talent at epic... and they only hatched once. So KI makes money and wealthy players do not have an advantage over less wealthy, they just spend money faster.

As for derby you get a pet with two pretty good skills then try to boost its stats as much as you can without giving the pet enough exp to get to ancient. I have a pet that is three exp from becoming ancient. This way you can cheer more often. You get more races at adult, I gave up trying to get a race at ancient, and there aren't as many skills your opponents can throw at you.

As for pvp I did run into a wizard who's pet cast unicorn by itself. I did lose that duel. The next time I fought that wizard their pet didn't do anything, and I won. I would hate to have to rely on my pet to when in pvp, they are even less reliable than minions.... *shudder*

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
534
TheMarksman wrote:


Personally i have no idea what you mean by this is making them money alot of money....because idk about you but most of us have found ways around paying for so many, many mega snacks for a gamble, and I guess what you just failed to realize is that you mentioned that this is in fact a GAMBLE (sometimes with real money cause of mega snacks), while this is actually a family game. There are many ways to level up pets quickly without paying an actual dime, and i'd say most players have taken advatage of these opportunities. So many that KI actually tried to take some of these methods away for a short time. Also what you call hope, i call a waste of time and energy chasing false dreams in the same boring ol' games for a maximum of 4 pet xp and only if you do good. Maybe if how good you do decided how much xp you got it'd be different, but no all we get is pet feeding but what good is that if you rarely get xp and get useless things in exchange. And i can't believe anyone even mentioned anything about "rich" people having advantages cause if your willing to spend money on crowns and subscriptions, then you undoubtedly would want to purchase an option like this, so dont say only people with money would get it cause any player that wants gain whatever advantage possible would want this, i know i hardly have any money and would take advantage of an option like this. Someone else may say something like but once you have your "perfect pet" that'll be it and once everyone has one they'll start losing money, but thats wrong because as long as new pets and talents continue coming out, everyone will want the best of the best, not to mention new players that come into the game and have to start from scratch. Some people will even have more than one pet for different occasions and opponents. In fact something like this would most likely make them more money and satisfy more players because it'll no longer be a GAMBLE anymore, but a 100% sure thing, which would inspire the purchase of more mega snacks and more energy elixirs. But right now, all pets are doing is having people cross their fingers and hope for the best with snacks they farmed and crafted for, and leaving people dissapointed 99% of the time. Bottom line is right now pets aren't living up to their full potential for KI and players alike, and most people often have to settle for something thats much less than perfect, despite spending so much time getting gold and even more time getting the best snacks (because MOST of us prefer not to pay for something so expensive i might add). Right now its all about luck, they should at the very least let your skill determine the pets skill or just let us pay for it either way most people i've talked to (and thats A LOT) dont contribute to the money they're making you mentioned above, and that few that do are just getting smaller and smaller, so why not make a good decision like this? Most likely cause of pvp'ers AS USUAL? well guess what, they could easily save up and take advantage of an option like this when they can just like almost every single strategic thinking player would.


If you are not spending money then you are spending a lot of time playing the game. You would be logging in before work or school to train your pet. Then log in after school or work to train it again, then finally just before bed to train it one more time. You would have the pet you wanted to train, on a low level wizard so that whenever that low level character leveled up your pet energy would refill for free. Low level wizards level up more often so that is more free refills. If you are playing then you are part of the vast mmo community that they advertise about. Even if all you do is raise your pets, you will probably have opportunities to gripe to other wizards about how hard it is to get the skills you want. As long as you play you are making KI money, if only indirectly.

Why wouldn't a family game have gambling? In fact many MMOs, family or otherwise, have some sort of chance based gimmick. It should provide a life lesson. It is possible to flip a coin and have it land on tails three hundred times in a row. Unlikely, but you could be the one it happens to!

Wasting money? Of course it is wasting money! Well actually your time or money is spent to keep the game going with updates and implemented player ideas ect... The hope is that the next hatch or the next skill that is learned is the one you want. It also comes with a feeling of entitlement. People assume that the universe owes them something if the 20th try fails. Especially if others are succeeding. Problem is we don't have any hold on Lady Luck, we cannot make her do what we want and we cannot make her pity us. When you come up against a force that you are helpless against, you hope to win anyway or you quit trying.

Then there are people who know that they cannot beat luck so they try to influence game developers. They may threaten to quit, they may claim support from the ignorant masses, they may wheedle, threaten and plead. They may believe that if they actually get enough support that they can bully the developers into compliance. They fail to realize that the game company employs people who have studied advanced marketing strategy.
More importantly they study their competitors. If everyone else is doing it and still making money, why should we stop? If someone is going to take a risk and try something different watch them for a year or two and see if it works. LOL,If I ran a company I would let the other guy take the risk, if they fail then I was smart to say where I am. If they succeed then it is no longer a risk, but a proven strategy, and I can copy them with confidence.

I for one do not want people to be able to buy specific skills. If that happens, then I will have to spend money to try to keep up with the rich players who did buy all four skills, at which point wealthy players will have all of the advantage. That would make an elite class of player whom no regular player could beat, that would definitely hurt sales. There may be a few of those wizards around now. Right now random chance makes it difficult to get to that level of awesomeness. They reach warlord, fairly quickly, and then only pvp for tickets or fun every once and a while. They effectively remove themselves from the pvp pool. I don't need hundreds of these folks having epic battles among each other and then swatting me like a fly. Lots of awesome wizards means that they are constantly knocking each other down in rank, they linger in the pvp pool.... One, or three of these wizards, every so often, is fine; twenty at the same time is not fine.

Explorer
May 17, 2009
55
If you are not spending money then you are spending a lot of time playing the game. You would be logging in before work or school to train your pet. Then log in after school or work to train it again, then finally just before bed to train it one more time. You would have the pet you wanted to train, on a low level wizard so that whenever that low level character leveled up your pet energy would refill for free. Low level wizards level up more often so that is more free refills. If you are playing then you are part of the vast mmo community that they advertise about. Even if all you do is raise your pets, you will probably have opportunities to gripe to other wizards about how hard it is to get the skills you want. As long as you play you are making KI money, if only indirectly.

Why wouldn't a family game have gambling? In fact many MMOs, family or otherwise, have some sort of chance based gimmick. It should provide a life lesson. It is possible to flip a coin and have it land on tails three hundred times in a row. Unlikely, but you could be the one it happens to!

Problem is we don't have any hold on Lady Luck, we cannot make her do what we want and we cannot make her pity us. When you come up against a force that you are helpless against, you hope to win anyway or you quit trying.

Then there are people who know that they cannot beat luck so they try to influence game developers. They may threaten to quit, they may claim support from the ignorant masses, they may wheedle, threaten and plead. They may believe that if they actually get enough support that they can bully the developers into compliance. They fail to realize that the game company employs people who have studied advanced marketing strategy.
More importantly they study their competitors. If everyone else is doing it and still making money, why should we stop? If someone is going to take a risk and try something different watch them for a year or two and see if it works. LOL,If I ran a company I would let the other guy take the risk, if they fail then I was smart to say where I am. If they succeed then it is no

See the thing you have to realize here is that this is the PET section of the forum, so we discuss ways to better pets, for the players and for KI. So yes, me and many, many people log into the game and play for a few hours a day, but thats just the beginning of how they earn they're money. Its not like the number of times we log in determines how much money they earn, plus we're trying to talk about how PETS and only pets would make them more money and improve gameplay, at least in this section of the forum, so please stay on topic with that. And ya its difficult to find and choose the 4 specific talents you want, and once you've succeeded in getting 2 of each of those talent on 2 separate pets that should be enough work, earning gold, earning/and or paying for snacks, and training to give you what you've been so determined to get. And at first it was, when it first came out all the talents came from the parents but once people took advantage of that, they changed it so new talents could come out, that belonged to like the pets' ancestors basically, and only one or two of the parents' talents. And lets see why wouldn't you want gambling in a family game? Well first off this is nothing like a coin toss which has no consequences if you lose! Also hmm maybe because it can be anyone in the family, and in this case its mostly, not only, but certainly mostly the children, so what kind of life lesson are we teaching them? (As long as there is a chance to waste money for an opportunity to finish quickly, then reaching the goal faster is worth it. But you need to keep one thing in mind, you only have a .0001% chance of getting what you paid for! So be irresponsible and throw all your money away for an extremely unlikely chance!) I dont know about you, but i know that this could have an big negative impact on how some children view how you handle money, and i wouldn't want my children thinking that its ok to waste money just to finish fast, only to reach your goal, yet fail and be disappointed! Lady luck? Seriously? What you call "luck," I call having the skills and patience to continue trying till you succeed, and that works in every single situaton of this game for everyone, pet talent hunting is like the only exception, not to mention the most time consuming. And in some occasions a few of those "luck" situations are more times than not solved with money, and this part of the game should be like the rest, about skills and patience or just be able to pay for what you want, not some gamble that leaves you banging your head against the wall after doing everything right, and some how still finding a way to fail! Now I'm not the type of person to threaten to quit when things aren't going my way, but I do know when things are just not living up to their full potential for everyone, and this is one of those times. And you see what you fail to realize about your money making strategy in this case is that if its a risk NOT AS MANY PEOPLE WILL BE WILLING TO TAKE THAT RISK, FOR A SMALL FEEBLE CHANCE OF GETTING WHAT YOU PAID FOR! Now if you give people what they paid for on the other hand, there will certainly be a much larger majority of people paying for that, much more than there ever were that paid for a CHANCE. And as long as you continue to introduce new and different things they will keep purchasing the best of the best in their opinion, and buy what your selling because they know its reliable, thats just how people think. And like i said PVP'rs can solve any problems they'll have with it by buying or possibly earning this(if they'll let the pet keep the 4 talents the parent's have by trying to get 2 pets with half of the talents you want). It'll be a must-have, so they'll make money and we dont have to keep working hard only to fail. But to be honest its not the pet that makes the player, its the player who makes the pet, so sure many people may purchase this option if its allowed, and use it for PVP alot. But that shouldn't matter because if your a real PVP'er then you would be able to strategize and come up with ways of your own to overcome these obstables just like you can with anything else, but thats only if you strategize, and not rely on your "Lady Luck." Pets just need to be able to live up to their full-potential at long last if its either by letting us use our skills to get those talents and/or letting us pay for them, either way everyone will be much better off than they are right now.


Squire
Jan 21, 2010
534
See the thing you have to realize here is that this is the PET section of the forum, so we discuss ways to better pets, for the players and for KI.

I was attempting to explain how your suggestion is not an improvement. It sounds like an improvement, in the short term. In the long term your suggestion actually hurts the players and the company. You listed financial gain as one of the reasons KI should use your suggestion... so I responded by talking about financial things.

So yes, me and many, many people log into the game and play for a few hours a day, but thats just the beginning of how they earn they're money.

I had meant to remind people that they can play pet games and feed their pets more than once a day. When I first started I only played after work. When I realized that I could play before work and my energy would have recharged by the time I came home. Since I tend to go to sleep about six hours after I get home I realized that was another opportunity to use pet energy. I had no intention of players earning money before work and before bed, just quick feeding runs.

why wouldn't you want gambling in a family game? Well first off this is nothing like a coin toss which has no consequences if you lose!

I was using a very basic example. We can use roulette if you like. You know that numbered wheel with alternating black and red squares on it? The attendant spins the wheel and throws a ping pong ball onto it. People bet on weather it lands on a black or a red square, or which number the landing square has. So a person could bet on red or black and each time they bet they could get it wrong. It doesn't matter how much they bet, or how often they bet. Whenever this person bets on a roulette spin they always lose. The interesting thing is things like this actually seem to happen in real life.

so what kind of life lesson are we teaching them? (As long as there is a chance to waste money for an opportunity to finish quickly, then reaching the goal faster is worth it.

Ah, I wasn't clear enough. I was so caught up in my idea that I just assumed that people would understand what I was trying to say.
In my mind tails has a negative connotation, to me, getting tails is bad.
I should have said: If you could flip a coin and call heads three hundred times the coin could still land with tails face up all of those times. The life lesson I meant this to show is that no matter how favorable the odds you can still lose an amazing, improbable, number of times.

What you call "luck," I call having the skills and patience to continue trying till you succeed, and that works in every single situation of this game for everyone, pet talent hunting is like the only exception, not to mention the most time consuming.


Lol, there is an algorithm working in the background that makes you less likely to fizzle after you have just had a spell fizzle. If you have two fizzles in a row a third fizzle becomes very difficult, if you manage a third fizzle in a row a fourth on the next turn is almost impossible without a negative effect, like smokescreen, on you. This is why storm wizards do sometimes manage to get a successful cast even with smokescreen on them. It has nothing to do with great skill or pure luck.
Most of the game has nothing to do with pure chance. Only boss drops, pet breeding, and pet skills use pure chance. These three are the exceptions because they are extra features. Because you can play the game without using these features KI can use them as hooks to keep you playing the game. This is why I think your suggestion is not a good one. You want to decrease the level of chance involved in getting a pet skill. If we have it your way, then people will spend less time perfecting their pet, they will reach the end of the game sooner. They will stop playing sooner. People won the game back when pets were just a fashion accessory, they had no skills and most gave no cards. Now It takes players much longer to reach Malistare, especially if they are trying to make an awesome pet. The game community thrives, many servers are full at peak times. Your suggestion about pet skills would create an initial burst of interest, but then getting a perfect pet would be too easy, and people would lose interest in pets again.

in some occasions a few of those "luck" situations are more times than not solved with money,


Having crowns only lets a player buy gold for hatching, or buy mega snack packs for learning skills faster. Wealth will help a player create a lot of dud pets that learn the wrong skills. the wealthy player still must rely on luck to get the skill they want, just like the normal players. If players could buy the skills they wanted their pets to learn then the wealthy players would have a clear advantage. The wealthy player could buy all the skills he wants on his pet in five minutes, while the normal player takes weeks to save up enough gold.

NOT AS MANY PEOPLE WILL BE WILLING TO TAKE THAT RISK, FOR A SMALL FEEBLE CHANCE OF GETTING WHAT YOU PAID FOR!


Explain Los Vegas Nevada, and Monte Carlo. One is a city in the United States the other is a whole country in the Mediterranean... Both are rich because of gambling and the tourism cause by gambling. btw you probably could find a prince or an oil baron betting a yacht on the flip of a coin, if you went to Monte Carlo...
On a more serious note: The beauty, or horror, about gambling is that people are never satisfied with breaking even. If they win back what they bet, they usually bet again! If win more than the amount they bet, they bet again! If they lose, they figure that the universe owes them a win... so they bet again! KI has applied chance to pets and now people can't stop trying to perfect them... they hatch again!

Now if you give people what they paid for on the other hand, there will certainly be a much larger majority of people paying for that, much more than there ever were that paid for a CHANCE.

If you guarantee something it becomes common, old news, been there done that. No matter how rare it used to be, guarantee kills novelty, and thus kills popularity.

so sure many people may purchase this option if its allowed, and use it for PVP a lot. But that shouldn't matter because if your a real PVP'er then you would be able to strategize and come up with ways of your own to overcome these obstacles just like you can with anything else,

There have been several things Pvp players couldn't stratigize their way out of. Enchanted treasure cards on low level wizards. Polymorph treasure cards on low level wizards. Even... chain stunning, though they fixed that somehow... I believe choosing four pet skills would be another thing Pvp players would not be able to deal with. It would be a lot like saying, "If you don't perfect your pet, don't bother to PvP."

If you did get your way, did you consider that KI may nerf all pets skills to balance it out? Like instead of 25 points in strength giving 1% in death proof.. changing it to 100 points in strength for that 1%. Or maybe just lowering the stats on any equipment added to the game after the pet skill change. "Everyone can make super pets now, so we need to do something to balance the game... I know, lets double the life on all of the monsters!"

So again: I think your suggestions in this thread are a bad idea I think that your suggestions would increase the popularity of pets for a short time, but then negatively affect the game in the long run.

We only have four people commenting? Are TheMarksman and I both covering all aspects of the issue so thoroughly that no one feels the need to comment?
Either way the topic is getting attention.

Champion
Jul 30, 2010
441
if you could buy the talents for crowns richer wizards would always have an advantage. it would ruin the purpose of hatching.

Explorer
May 17, 2009
55
Well you would think its gonna hurt them once players have what they need, but i've explained that new talents and pets will rouse the attention of many players and they're gonna wanna keep up with the best talents and pets, and since there's so many great ones and its almost impossible to choose from, then they'll more than likely want more than just one. Not to mention pets are hardly doing anything for them right now, just a few mega snacks a week for every 1/1000 players isn't much. Most players prefer to earn them than pay for them.

And the main thing your missing in your gambling situations is that some people do lose money, and most importantly you would need to be right 4 out of 4 times, not just once. And for everytime your right the stakes are raised and you basically dont have any chance but to keep going otherwise your pet will never reach its full potential. So with your roulette metaphor you would really have to think of it as spinning it and being right once first, then twice and being right those two time, then four times being right all those times, and finally 8 times and getting it right every single one of those times, cause the amount of xp doubles when you level up, so it'll really be a total of 15/15 times which seems kinda impossible when it comes to that.

Thats no life lesson it really doesn't make any sense to be honest, why would you want to put the idea in people's heads that you will always have a chance to fail, dont you know thats how failure begins? By allowing thoughts like that into your head? So you basically dont want people to have too much confidence in themselves, which is a terrible life lesson if you ask me.

And ya this is an extra feature, but its one that isn't making them too much money nowadays. Yes, it does keep players playing but its just one out of many, there are alot of other things players do FOR FUN when they finish the latest updates to the storyline. And pet raising is just plain boring playing the same ol' mini games over and over, I dont think i've met anyone who enjoys playing any of those games. Right now, there's many people who are raising pets to get just the right talents, but i think there's more whose just trying to get a collection of as many rare breeds as possible, so that'll also keep players using the pet pavilion.

Wealthy players may have somewhat of an advantage, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll choose just the right talents that'll help them win in every single occasions, and i'm not sure why it would take you that long to save up enough gold to hatch, only takes me about 20 mins. And what i meant about them being able to buy many things that'll give them advantages is all the things in the crown shop which are almost all really useful if you can afford it, or earn them.

Your talking about Las Vegas and applying it to a game with children in it, and you dont see anything wrong with that? And people go to those places because they're looking to have a good time spending money on exciting things. These pet mini games arent exciting even in the least bit so you can't compare those two. No one enjoys raising pets, they do it because they feel they're pet will help them enjoy the game more. So why not just let pet racing and hatching be the main thing to do with pets after everyone feels they have what they want, for the time being, till new pets and talents come out.

Guarantee will make pets become old news? Um you do realize how many different pets and talents there are? Alot of players are gonna want to have different pets with different talents, some are gonna wanna keep getting rare hybrids, some are gonna keep derby racing, so i dont think its possible for pets to become old news.

Ya I dont think they would nerf pet talents, cause they're way too critical in duels against NPC's, and yes people can overcome most things PVP I know i have, most people dont learn from their mistakes and try to figure ways to overcome them, and right now most pets are like 1 or 2 talents away from being what the player would want them to be, so how much of a difference would another make, i mean honestly can one extra talent thats the one the player was looking for really hurt anyone that much?

And Hanable, your only at a disadvantage if you believe you are. And pet hatching isn't all about talents you know. Plus can you honestly say that you enjoy earning gold and hatching every day, only to end up dissapointed almost every single time?


Explorer
May 17, 2009
55
But i've kinda been thinking about the just being able to purchase it part, maybe they could allow us to earn the talents we want like in some dungeon they could put in the pet pavilion. One different dungeon for each mini game, and only one player can enter it by his/her self. If your able to complete the dungeon in a certain amount of time, and on your own, then you get to choose the next talent. And this could even everything up, and make it interesting to level up your pet, just a thought but since this seems to be the biggest problem, its just and idea, any suggestions anyone? Just remember this, you may feel it'll give people really big advantages in everything but most players already have one or two pets that have at least 3 of the talents they want, so one more talent isn't gonna make anything worse for anyone. Unless you know of some talent that is so amazing it can make the difference in every single duel, and that isn't a may cast this spell, because those will only make a difference every once in a while, is there one that works every single time and gives you and really big, major advatage over everyone?

Survivor
Dec 19, 2008
14
Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
387
zebulous wrote:
Gambling encourages hope. Hope will rob you blind. That is why I doubt that we will even be able to pay crowns to select from a list of talents. We won't even be able to pay to exclude possible unwanted talents. As long as there is no guarantee, people hope. There is also the, "he got it, I can get it too," and the, "I am just as lucky, 'good as,' everybody else." They keep failing and keep trying because they know success is possible. The problem is; they don't take into account, the fact that chance does not care. Politics, games of skill, tests of strength; in all of these a person can acquire an, "edge." No one has an edge when it comes to blind-naked-chance, it doesn't care who you are or what you do, you get what it gives you and that is it. People continue to believe that they can influence pure chance. They hope for a favorable outcome. They hope and they spend, and hope and spend more.

If you are not willing to give up then I suggest budgeting your time and/or money, a month at a time till you happen to make your perfect pet.
All of the popular online games I have seen have some kind of chance based thing somewhere.
They all have it because it always makes money, a lot of money, every single time.
Do you understand?
This money making strategy never, ever, fails.
No matter who wins or loses the house always wins. This is an important life lesson that few people learn. Again, even letting you buy a skill is nowhere near as profitable as allowing you to try and pull it from a random bank. Even if I happen to get the skill I want the first time, there will be some unfortunate wizard who has to try fifty times to get the same result, which more than pays for my instant success.

The only way to beat this system is if everyone were satisfied with whatever skill they happen to get, which would be very similar to when pets were just a fashion accessory...
Yea i try this on test realm and am never lucky so am not gonna spend one crown on pets

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
534
watsupdog111 wrote:

Yea i try this on test realm and am never lucky so am not gonna spend one crown on pets


Don't give up on pets completely. I have bought a few, and found a few from the random card packs, that have quite nice skills. Indeed I only seem to become disappointing when I actually try to breed them.
The wraith I got when I reached level 48 learned pip o' plenty, death shot, death giver, an astute. Accuracy increase, power pip chance increase and damage increase... that wraith is a nice piece of equipment! I admit I was disappointed when it learned a selfish talent at epic. One thousand exp to get one more percent of accuracy boost....
I tried breeding the astute out by pairing it with a higher pedigree death pet, but the offspring always learn something useless, I haven't trained those wraiths past adult.
My assailing dragons like to learn gargantuan and spirits of nature seem to learn pierce fairly often. I would venture to say; that buying a crown pet isn't a bad idea, there is a good chance for at least one good skill. Gargantuan is quite fun at low levels. (note: for some reason, the death leprechaun and snowball pets give an additional card at epic, I don't know if that is worth it or not...)
Pets aren't bad, just don't obsess over attaining perfection.