Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A random ability out of nowhere?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 13, 2009
Hey everyone! :D

I have recently found myself pulled into the wonderful world of pets, and so since I don't have much experience with these magnificent creatures, I have a question or two that's been bothering me lately.

I really love having a pet with spritely, and it can really help me out when dueling, but I only had my giraffe with that talent until just recently when the brave hound was available.

I decided a while ago to hatch my giraffe with the blaze beast to hope for a cute beast with spritely, and since I was having a good day, I got exactly that. So I just assumed that if I hatched the new spritely beast with my giraffe that the egg was for sure to get the ability! I couldn't have been more wrong. Instead of getting sprite in the fifth slot, there was another random ability ranked like either uncommon or common. (i don't remember exactly, but it wasn't a rare talent)

I have absolutely no idea where in the spiral that came from.
My first blaze beast was not a first gen pet, I hatched for it with a friend, so could that ability have been carried all the way from previous parents?

That being said, I'm too worried that something like that will happen to my other beasts if I try to hatch more spritely pets using them.
Would it be a better idea for me to hatch my giraffe with my new brave hound which are both first gen with sprite in the fifth slot? Would each hatch be a guaranteed success unlike my beast pets???
I need to know if all the gold I am putting towards this wont be a waste like some of my other sad attempts. :?

(and does anyone know what that mysterious random talent could have come from and why?????)

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, even if you might not have an answer. :P :D

Good Luck with your pets everyone! :D

~Megan NS

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
Pet hatching is a fun, adventurous game.

Now if your giraffe was hatched with your blaze beast, life shot, life proof, and life giver could have all been passed on as well. your blaze beast most likely also had an uncommon talent of some sort. Personally, i dont even hatch with people who have uncommon or common talents. This is how i avoid this problem. Your pet indeed does still have spritely, check the slot above it or below it. If there is a rare talent in either of these places, thats spritely. If the talent moved up, then that means it has an increased chance of getting it. If it moved down, then there is a less likely chance of getting spritely. Although nothing is certain, on my pet family, life shot disarmament, tower shield, and pip o plenty haunt my pets. Sometimes they skip generations. Sometimes they skip 5. Its all based upon luck. Generally if i have doubts about something, i try it on the test realm, or not at all. Thats my strategy. I can tell you that if you hatch 2 pets with the same talent, the chances of the next generation pet manifesting that talent are greatly increased, however it does not always receive the talent that you may desire. I learned the hard way, and most people eventually do also. Its just a game of luck

Defender
May 19, 2012
thejordanator wrote:
check the slot above it or below it. If there is a rare talent in either of these places, thats spritely. If the talent moved up, then that means it has an increased chance of getting it. If it moved down, then there is a less likely chance of getting spritely.

I shortened your reply to just the portion I'm curious about. I don't understand what you mean here. How can you tell what talents your pet will get before they get them? Check the slot above or below what? Thank you! :)

I hatched my life wizard's satyr with the hydra of my balance wizard from my other account. The pet my balance wizard got actually lost one point in pedigree, and she ended up with a hydra. The pet my life wizard got went from the 52 pedigree of it's parent to a 56 pedigree, another satyr. I then hatched my first satyr with the second and got another 56 pedigree satyr. What determines the pedigree of the pet and should I even be considering the pedigree, or only the talents that are manifested? I was thinking of hatching the two 56 pedigree satyrs and see if I couldn't get that any higher, but does it really matter?

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
fiziali wrote:
What determines the pedigree of the pet

The pedigree is determined by the dots on the pet's Powers and Talents added together.

Defender
Sep 10, 2011
What determines the pedigree of the pet and should I even be considering the pedigree, or only the talents that are manifested? I was thinking of hatching the two 56 pedigree satyrs and see if I couldn't get that any higher, but does it really matter?

From what i experienced so far, and I say this because some may have really different results, but I seem to have the best mix of talents from pets ranging from 62 - 75. So to answer your question if you should consider the pedigree and if it does matter, I would hatch between this range and expect to have good results. So the higher the pedigree of the parent pets, the higher the new pet will be. Sometimes there are exceptions, I did hatch before a level 64 pet to a level 73 pet and it got me a level 78 one but in the end its talents was not useful for me.

Still, the talents of the parent pets is MORE important than the pedigree of the pets you are hatching. I got an Onyx Shenlong Dragon that I hatched between very good parents for my death archmage. It is only 62 pedigree, but it has spritely, proof, defy, death dealer.and got pain giver at mega.

A very high pedigree didn't yield me any solid pet (76 - 80+) so far because most of it have "may cast" talents that is either barely casted or just plain useless. Same goes with pets that are lower than 60 Pedigree, its even worse because this is where the selfish talents mostly manifest.

Archmages
R. Lionhand
F. Stardust
J. Winterbane
Brahm

Explorer
Feb 12, 2011
fiziali wrote:
thejordanator wrote:
check the slot above it or below it. If there is a rare talent in either of these places, thats spritely. If the talent moved up, then that means it has an increased chance of getting it. If it moved down, then there is a less likely chance of getting spritely.

I shortened your reply to just the portion I'm curious about. I don't understand what you mean here. How can you tell what talents your pet will get before they get them? Check the slot above or below what? Thank you! :)

I hatched my life wizard's satyr with the hydra of my balance wizard from my other account. The pet my balance wizard got actually lost one point in pedigree, and she ended up with a hydra. The pet my life wizard got went from the 52 pedigree of it's parent to a 56 pedigree, another satyr. I then hatched my first satyr with the second and got another 56 pedigree satyr. What determines the pedigree of the pet and should I even be considering the pedigree, or only the talents that are manifested? I was thinking of hatching the two 56 pedigree satyrs and see if I couldn't get that any higher, but does it really matter?

Understanding how to predict the talents in your baby gene pet's pool was the hardest thing for me to understand, but once I did it made things so much more helpful. I now have some hatches that never even get trained to teen, because I have learned to track the talents I am looking to carry over.
This thread should give you some help - it may be overwhelming at first, but it is great once you understand it.
http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174997

Also - I just hatched 2 snow beasts with just ONE shared talent - spritely. Not only did it not manifest in the offspring, once I got it to epic I could confirm that sprite never even carried over to the offspring's gene pool. So just because both parents share a talent, it does not guarantee that it will even transfer - it does increase the odds, but does not guarantee it.