Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Questions About Pets + Suggestions?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 05, 2013
I recently started an ice wizard who is at around level 45. I'm decently new to the game, along with that being pets. I know that they can have specific talents, and I believe that if you hatch with another good pet, you can get their talents. For example, let's say I had a pet with Talent A, and a pet somebody else had with Talent B. Let's also say that the pet I have can't learn Talent B normally. If I breed them, will my pet still have a chance of learning Talent B even if it's not in its list of talents it can learn normally? Another question I have; what would be a good ice pet for me? I know that Ice Dealer is good for ice wizards, and that Spell Proof is basically a must-have. I also have some rough information about gems you can socket onto pets that give some really good stats. Can I get a recommendation on what pet I should use?

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
ElectechGaming on Jul 20, 2018 wrote:
I recently started an ice wizard who is at around level 45. I'm decently new to the game, along with that being pets. I know that they can have specific talents, and I believe that if you hatch with another good pet, you can get their talents. For example, let's say I had a pet with Talent A, and a pet somebody else had with Talent B. Let's also say that the pet I have can't learn Talent B normally. If I breed them, will my pet still have a chance of learning Talent B even if it's not in its list of talents it can learn normally? Another question I have; what would be a good ice pet for me? I know that Ice Dealer is good for ice wizards, and that Spell Proof is basically a must-have. I also have some rough information about gems you can socket onto pets that give some really good stats. Can I get a recommendation on what pet I should use?
YES!!!! You can get the talents of another pet on the baby you make when you hatch! You can even get their body type too or maybe if you're lucky, a hybrid (they're quite rare)!

What talents work best for you will depend on how you play your Ice Wizard. You might even like to make a couple of different types to fit with different gear sets.

Ice Dealer is the best damage boost (10%) and Spell Proof is the best universal resist (10% to all schools).

If you are going for damage boosts then you will probably also want Ice Giver (5%) and Pain Giver (5%). There is also Pain Bringer (3%) and Ice Boon (3%) but you will only be able to have 1 of those if you also want Spell Proof. You can jewel them though if have the jewels.

If you go mainly defence you might like to make a Ward Pet - something with Spell Proof (10%), Spell Defying (5%) and all 7 Ward talents (15% each) and an extra talent you like eg Fearless Fortifier (maycast Fortify), Charm Chopper (maycast Enfeeble) or perhaps a heal. Then try to get a nice combination or a few combinations for your gear sets or battles.

Before you focus too much on talents I recommend raising your stat bars (the numbers next to strength, agility etc). The max is 255 250 260 260 250 and these affect the maximum percentages you'll get for your wards or damages etc. When you hatch with something look at these as well as the talents and raise them on your babies. Each time you increase them, train the baby to adult then hatch it again to increase them more each hatch.

When your stats are good focus more on the pool and talents (don't hatch with anything that has lower stats than your pet or you will make a weaker baby!).

If you need any help just ask!

Good luck and Happy Hatching!

PS. Percentages listed are for max stat pets without additional boosts by way of 'selfish' talents.