Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

question about process for pet hatching

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 11, 2011

I have been trying to better understand pet hatching by reading various guides and FAQs, but the process is still somewhat mysterious to me, and hatching mistakes are brutal (i.e., requiring me to spend 4 to 5 hours questing to get another 50K in gold for another hatching).

So, I just wanted to make sure I am doing it right. I have one mega pet (hybrid sea dragon) with 3 good talents and 2 bad talents. I want hatch to get an ancient pet with the 3 good talents and another good talent from a second pet. As I understand it, a hatching of these two pets, at best, will get a pet with 2 good talents from the sea dragon and the other talent from the second pet. So, what I have been hatching the two pets, training the offspring to adult in the hope of get at least two of my desired talents and discarding the offspring if it gets a bad (not on of the good) talent. After 12 hatchings, this has not worked so far, but I am hopeful. Once I get a third pet with 2 good talents by adult, I plan to keep on training the third pet to ancient to see if I get a third good talent. If I get a third good talent, I will then hatch with the sea dragon to try to get a pet with the 4 good talents

My question is that I am unlikely to get the third good talent with this pet, so what do I do with this pet - do I go back to hatching with the original parent pets until I get another pet with two good talents by adult, or can I use this third pet for hatching purposes to quicken the process?

Thanks for any insight.

As an aside - it seems to me that hatching sea dragons seems weirdly slow (1 day) versus other pets that hatch in 5 minutes. I may need to hatch a different type of pet to quicken the process.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Here is my understanding, and perhaps a pet hatching guru can clarify is this:

Each pet parent has 10 potential talents. A hatched child pet will inherit 10 of the potential talents from its two parents. I don't believe the talents that the parents actually realized has any bearing on the talents that become inherted. Possibly it has an effect on probabilities, I don't know (I doubt it).

Real Example: I just hatched and trained a new pet. I hatched from two parents because i liked their potential talents, not their realised talents. Notice the child has not yet realised any talent that either parent has realised.

parent #1: ghost dragon.
talents: pip o pleny, plague bringer

parent #2: wraith
talents: pip o plenty, death shot

child: wraith:
talents: spell proof, death giver

The only way to know what the child inherited is by training it and revealing the inherited talents. Of course the child has 10 potential talents and training the pet reveals only some its potential talents.

Some of the potential talents in the child can be determined from its list of "unrevealed talents". In my case I knew that the child wraith possesed the potential talent of Spell Proof because it had an epic talent, which based on the parents could only be Spell Proof (the only epic talent that the parents have).

Hope this helps.

Defender
Sep 10, 2011
I plan to keep on training the third pet to ancient to see if I get a third good talent. If I get a third good talent, I will then hatch with the sea dragon to try to get a pet with the 4 good talents

If by chance you get the third good talent at ancient, do hatch this with a totally different "good" pet (yours - and not another sea dragon or another ones pet). The hatched egg will be a "back up" pet egg if the the third pet fails at epic. If at Epic, you still have a very good talent pool, hatch it again with another very good pet making another "back up" egg, Rinse and repeat until you reach mega. Its a laborious and expensive process i know, but its better than being contented with a semi-competitive pet.

My question is that I am unlikely to get the third good talent with this pet, so what do I do with this pet - do I go back to hatching with the original parent pets until I get another pet with two good talents by adult, or can I use this third pet for hatching purposes to quicken the process?

if you already got two good talents at adult, the "unlikeliness" cannot be put to rest until you proceed on training up to ancient, If that goes well, then you can proceed on following my suggestions above. Otherwise, after 12 failed hatchlings, I guess your best bet is not to hatch among your sea dragons anymore and try finding one very good pet to hatch with your mega. Try to fleece out the 2 bad talents out of the gene pool.

hope this helps

Archmages

R. Lionhand
F. Stardust
J. Winterbane
Brahm "finally can cast Deer Knight Spell"