Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Probability of Hatching the Other Person's Pet Type

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 11, 2009
Hi, I've tried hatching many times in the past and I always seem to get my same pet type back. I'm curious if there is always a 50/50 chance of getting each pat type or not. Right now I'm considering hatching my Ancient Lava Spider 24(88) with an Ultra[?] Efreet 50(100) in the Kiosk, but I think I'll probably just get my spider back (which I don't really want because I already have several of them). Can someone advise me on that please?

Also, if anyone could explain hybrids and hatching with hybrids, etc. to me, I would be very grateful.
Have a nice day!

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Welcome to the Forums!

Now, in terms of hatching, usually, the chance of retaining your own pet or getting the other pet is as you said, 50/50.

Notice I said "usually." This is because several factors can influence this 50-50% chance. These are:

Crowns Only Pet
Rarer Pets
School Only Pets

Hatching with a crowns only pet and trying to gain that pet is usually much harder. The chances do increase if your pet is a crowns only one is seems however.

Remember, you will only have a chance of gaining a school only pet if you are that school. So, you said you are attempting to get an efreet? You must be , if not, the chance of getting the pet is 0%. Hybrids are available however.

If you're fire, then I can suggest to just keep trying. But, I will add that you should try investing in creating a solid pet with good talents and not just let your gold go to waste "just because you want an efreet."

In terms of hatching with Hybrids, it is still the same 50% chance of getting the next pet if you yourself are using a hybrid pet. It doesn't alter the statistic much.

At the end of the day, pet hatching has to deal with luck.

So, with that said,

Good Luck!

Survivor
Jul 30, 2016
Unless KI has made changes to the pet hatching recently, This statement is incorrect.

Remember, you will only have a chance of gaining a school only pet if you are that school. So, you said you are attempting to get an efreet? You must be , if not, the chance of getting the pet is 0%. Hybrids are available however.

You can get a school specific pet but you wont be able to equip it, unless of course you are of that school.

Good Luck with the Efreet

Victoria

Survivor
Jul 30, 2016
SPARK
Could you please give us a definitive answer on the question of hatching specific school pets.
I have hatched many pets of different schools but could not equip them,
Has KI fixed it so I can not get the pet or not

Thanks

Victoria

Administrator
Thorn in your side on Sep 16, 2020 wrote:
SPARK
Could you please give us a definitive answer on the question of hatching specific school pets.
I have hatched many pets of different schools but could not equip them,
Has KI fixed it so I can not get the pet or not

Thanks

Victoria
This is correct in that you can get a school specific pet but you won't be able to equip it if you are not of that same school.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
It used to be impossible to get off-school restricted pets.

That was changed when the kiosk was introduced. IMO, this was a mistake. Please consider restoring the restriction. Getting a pet you can't equip is not helpful, and wastes gold.

Thanks

Back on topic, the odds are often not 50/50 in practice. I've hatched the same two pets 10 or more times and only got one or two of one species, and all the rest the other. This is normal, but it isn't apparent what makes a pet 'rare'. It would be nice to know which pets will be 'sticky' and which will be hard to get.