Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pets Developing Talents

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 20, 2010
Hello, everyone. I need some help understanding why every pet I hatch develops the unicorn ability by the time it reaches adult. I have two pets which I know have Proof, Defy, Ice Dealer, and Pain Giver, but every time I hatch it seems like the pet develops Unicorn and then some other talent (pips, ice accuracy, health). Is this random or is it supposed to happen?

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
This means you have Unicorn as a dominant talent.

What you're describing is pretty common if two pets have nearly identical talent pools. One way to get the talents you want to is to keep trying to hatch this pair until you get a baby that doesn't learn Unicorn by adult. It will happen eventually but can be quite expensive.

Another option is to introduce a third pet with some talents you want, so the talents will churn a little and hopefully bring out a new dominant talent. If you get a baby that does not learn Unicorn by adult, stop training at adult and use that baby for all further hatches.

A last option is to discard both pets you have now. Instead, step backwards a few hatches to their ancestors and find one that has the talents you want, but without having learned Unicorn. This can be expensive too, since you're sort of starting over. But if your Unicorn is the most dominant (and undesired) trait, this may be the only way to get rid of it. I had to do something like this in order to get rid of Pierce Train.

Now in the test realm there is a new way to hatch our pets with "Perfect" pets that other people have trained. For any pet offered into the "Hatchmaker," you can hatch with it freely as long as you have enough gold. It's going to make the pet-breeding process much easier when it goes live in a couple of weeks. So your last option is to just wait a bit and see if you can hatch that talent out using someone else's amazing pet.

Good luck!

Alia Misthaven

Survivor
Apr 20, 2010
Freshta on Mar 21, 2018 wrote:
This means you have Unicorn as a dominant talent.

What you're describing is pretty common if two pets have nearly identical talent pools. One way to get the talents you want to is to keep trying to hatch this pair until you get a baby that doesn't learn Unicorn by adult. It will happen eventually but can be quite expensive.

Another option is to introduce a third pet with some talents you want, so the talents will churn a little and hopefully bring out a new dominant talent. If you get a baby that does not learn Unicorn by adult, stop training at adult and use that baby for all further hatches.

A last option is to discard both pets you have now. Instead, step backwards a few hatches to their ancestors and find one that has the talents you want, but without having learned Unicorn. This can be expensive too, since you're sort of starting over. But if your Unicorn is the most dominant (and undesired) trait, this may be the only way to get rid of it. I had to do something like this in order to get rid of Pierce Train.

Now in the test realm there is a new way to hatch our pets with "Perfect" pets that other people have trained. For any pet offered into the "Hatchmaker," you can hatch with it freely as long as you have enough gold. It's going to make the pet-breeding process much easier when it goes live in a couple of weeks. So your last option is to just wait a bit and see if you can hatch that talent out using someone else's amazing pet.

Good luck!

Alia Misthaven
Thanks for the answer. One other question that I have now is, what is a dominant talent? Does that mean that it is just more likely to show up? This weekend is double pet xp, so I'm thinking I might just take one or two of my pets to ancient to see what they develop.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Yes, dominant means that talent will tend to show up often.

Good luck with pet training this weekend!

Alia Misthaven