Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Need some elaboration related to Pet talents.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 24, 2012
Good Morning! I wanted to start by saying I am a 33 year old player, I play W101 with my 8 year old son and we are going on 2 weeks of game play soon and had some questions about pets and training.

At first glance, it would seem that pet talents are predetermined upon hatching. Is this the case or do the snacks I give my pet effect the talents he receives when he levels? How does this work? Please do not speculate, the internet is chocked full of contradictory theories and this is not clearly stated in any of the official guides I have read.

I was primarily interested in pursuing the goal of the "perfect pet" as some call it. In essence, I want to build a pet with 4 specific talents. How do I go about controlling the talents my pet receives? Am I basically required to rely on luck to get the teen and adult talents I want and then hatch with other pets to obtain the other 2 talents I want on a new pet?

If talents really are luck of the draw, what is my motivation to buy pets with crowns? Or for that matter, why would I want to fight a boss 15 times to get a cool looking pet I wanted and then need to scrap him 2 days later because his teen talent was not one I wanted?

Thanks in advance and happy casting!
Ronin Deathbringer

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
Pet talents are predetermined (to the best of my knowledge) upon hatching.
Crown pets are a good place to start, as many crown pets do not have selfish talents. I used a Sea Dragon as a start because it has no selfish talents in the gene pool.
From what I have read from experienced hatchers, the talents that have manifested have a higher chance at being passed on in a hatched pet, so training to adult (with two desirable talents manifesting) then hatching is the best way to do it.
You can skip ahead if you find someone who has a pet with the talents you desire and hatch with them.
But this will take a lot of time, snacks, and gold. Many wizards will not want to do this, but some (me for one) will happily hatch with others to shorten your journey for a perfect pet.
I bought 32 Evil Magma Peas and garden them continuously. They give the highest ranked snacks in the game, and drop their own seed at elder. You will need 55 energy to take care of a large garden though. Central has guides as to the setup, but you can do 32 or 37 in a big spell.
You will also go through much anguish and disappointment with hatching. So be prepared. With Mega level unlocked, you have that much less of a chance to get a perfect pet.
Good Luck,
pods

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
erikvcook on Jan 4, 2013 wrote:
Good Morning! I wanted to start by saying I am a 33 year old player, I play W101 with my 8 year old son and we are going on 2 weeks of game play soon and had some questions about pets and training.

At first glance, it would seem that pet talents are predetermined upon hatching. Is this the case or do the snacks I give my pet effect the talents he receives when he levels? How does this work? Please do not speculate, the internet is chocked full of contradictory theories and this is not clearly stated in any of the official guides I have read.

I was primarily interested in pursuing the goal of the "perfect pet" as some call it. In essence, I want to build a pet with 4 specific talents. How do I go about controlling the talents my pet receives? Am I basically required to rely on luck to get the teen and adult talents I want and then hatch with other pets to obtain the other 2 talents I want on a new pet?

If talents really are luck of the draw, what is my motivation to buy pets with crowns? Or for that matter, why would I want to fight a boss 15 times to get a cool looking pet I wanted and then need to scrap him 2 days later because his teen talent was not one I wanted?

Ronin Deathbringer
Every 1st gen pet has the same exact talent slots able to be learned. Those slots open up randomly though.
For instance if we both bought/earned a nighmare pet and trained it to adult, Both pets have the unicorn talent in the slots but one might open that slot and the other might not but is still there just unopened.

Now remember when you hatch the slots may change and it becomes a hybrid or 2nd,3rd,4th gen ect...

From my experience snacks are meaningless except for giving stats and xp.

Hope this helps.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
erikvcook on Jan 4, 2013 wrote:

Ronin Deathbringer
Sorry i forgot to try and answer the second part.

As far as i understand with each hatch you will pull attributes from both parents so in theory after so many hatchings with both parents having the abilities you want sooner or later your pet will have them in its slots, Now this doesnt mean they will open because as i said in the previous post that is purely random.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
The snacks will not determine the talent your pet gets.

In order to get a 'perfect' pet, you must hatch with a pet that has the talents you desire. As a rule, a pet with a higher pedigree will have better talents.

Here is an example of what I have done:

I have an Ice Bat pet. The first generation only has a pedigree of 36. I trained it to adult in order to mix it with a pet with a higher pedigree. I took that 'offspring', which happened to be another bat, with a pedigree in the 50's. I trained it to adult and once more mixed it with a pet with a high pedigree. It took some time, but I eventually got an Ice Bat with a 74 pedigree with Spritely, Unicorn, Spell Proof, and Spell Defy. Then UGH! at mega it got Snow Borne...a blizzard spell. (not quite what i wanted, but will do for now).

As a general rule, when a pet I am training gains a selfish trait (one that only boosts their stats), I either only train it to adult so I can mix again, or if it already past adult, I stop training it and mix it again with the higher pedigree pet.

If you plan on doing a lot of pet training, I would suggest taking up gardening in order to grow your own mega snacks. There are several non-crown plants that has a chance of producing a mega snack throughout their harvest or at elder. You can also defeat certain monsters and bosses to get crown plant seeds that are guaranteed to drop a mega snack at elder.

With patience, you can get a pet that has the traits you want.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 86 Life

P.S. The Ice Bat was for my Ice Wizard.

Survivor
Dec 24, 2012
Found another post with the info, thanks.