Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

"May Cast" Triggers?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Feb 27, 2011
My Storm Serpent is now ancient and it has a "May Cast storm sheild spell" Weird enough, I have been fighting a lot of storm enemies. I was so excited that it will help me, but its never casting it in battle! Is there a thing you have to cast or something to get your pet to cast a spell?

Mastermind
Jul 04, 2010
Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Shy girl on Jan 14, 2013 wrote:
My Storm Serpent is now ancient and it has a "May Cast storm sheild spell" Weird enough, I have been fighting a lot of storm enemies. I was so excited that it will help me, but its never casting it in battle! Is there a thing you have to cast or something to get your pet to cast a spell?
The 'may cast' items are purely random.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
There are alot of theories but from my experience nothing matters. It seems purely random.

One thing i am certain, Saying goodboy after your pet does it is nothing more than irritating to fellow players and does not have any positive affect at all.

Other than that you can try to bring up your pets heal stats but i dont think it matters, Some say pedigree but that has nothing to do with it either because ive seen ped 60's heal way more than some ped 70+.

Explorer
Feb 27, 2011
Shy girl on Jan 14, 2013 wrote:
Failure is Sucess if you learn from it.

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
nathan owlhaven on Jan 14, 2013 wrote:
it is just that anything can trigger it
random - being hit - multi hits on team etc more chance for a block to cast. Tower is the best of them any magic can trigger this to go off. The may cast % may be slightly more on mc tower over the school specific blocks. I like over time spells with pets they seem to cast ALOT more in all areas heals, blocks etc. ( I had the same low may cas on a pet with both tower and storm blocks) storm rarely went off even know i was on a storm boss.

cheers,

Defender
Sep 19, 2010
As a general rule of thumb, "Randomness" on pet triggers extends only so far. for example, Blades/Traps cast (in my findings) only after you attack. Spritely is by far the highest cast rate, while single school shields are lower, and my tower is casted once or twice a game if i am lucky. However, this DOES vary to some degree, which is how my pet has managed to not cast anything for a month, and to cast 4 unicorns and 5 sprites all triggering off each other. Basically, imagine that every time almost ANYTHING happens, a 100 sided die is rolled. If you get 1,2, or 3, then your pet casts. The number range that triggers this varies depending on the talent, however, I agree that saying "Good Boy" and maxing out attributes doesn't seem to do anything but annoy people/make you feel like your accomplishing something. Your best bet on may casts is to try and put multiple may casts into one pet, to increase the chance of at least SOMETHING happening. my record is 4 may casts, if your above that then you can probably just leave the game running and go get something to eat, your pretty much set.

-Mason Shadowwraith, 87 Myth Captain
- Jack Frost, 73 Ice Captain
- Talon Talon, 1 Ice warlord

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
lastdaysgunslinger on Jan 14, 2013 wrote:
There are alot of theories but from my experience nothing matters. It seems purely random.

One thing i am certain, Saying goodboy after your pet does it is nothing more than irritating to fellow players and does not have any positive affect at all.

Other than that you can try to bring up your pets heal stats but i dont think it matters, Some say pedigree but that has nothing to do with it either because ive seen ped 60's heal way more than some ped 70+.
lol this is so true! At first, I thought "good boy/girl" was a game programmed thing with how often I was seeing it for a month or two. Then I got my pet, trained it to do stuff, and saw that it was player induced and thought "my how annoying that is!"

General reply: as others have stated, it's really random. As I posted here (https://www.wizard101.com/forum/messageBoard/listPosts/game/8ad6a4143b225808013b367811a717f3?reset=1):

For instance, my phoenix, trained to level 5, has Fire Trap and Spritely.

Firetrap has been cast when I successfully cast spells (the only norm I can find), tho the spells arent always the same. Sometimes it's Efreet, a wand spell (and it doesnt have to be a fire school wand either), helephant, etc

As for Spritely, I've seen my phoenix cast it when:
1) An attack all spell is used and it cast spritely once
2) An attack all spell used and it cast spritely THREE times in one round (I'm not kidding)
3) When NO spell is cast, but a damage over time piece hits, it's cast it on me
4) When I've been hit with varying spells and it cast it once
5) When I've been hit with varying spells and it cast it twice

The MOST I've ever seen it cast in ONE battle (and one I died in believe it or not) is eight times. I had 8 swirling sprite spells and yes, I died big time lol Amazing what ONE enemy critical hit can do

I don't think there's any specific pattern, and when I get fireblade (when we can train higher than level 5) I might find a better pattern.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
When my fire student battles normal mobs i use same strategy always. Blade, sharp blade, meteor and sometimes just sharp blade ,meteor and my pet never has a pattern so it has nothing to do with casting even though some believe this.
I have days where he will sprite an fairy 4 times in a row and other days he will only cast one time per battle.
So it is purely random. If it had to do with casting then he would have a pattern because i have a pattern.

Defender
Feb 17, 2012
masterryan1969 on Jan 15, 2013 wrote:
random - being hit - multi hits on team etc more chance for a block to cast. Tower is the best of them any magic can trigger this to go off. The may cast % may be slightly more on mc tower over the school specific blocks. I like over time spells with pets they seem to cast ALOT more in all areas heals, blocks etc. ( I had the same low may cas on a pet with both tower and storm blocks) storm rarely went off even know i was on a storm boss.

cheers,
You forgot to put your characters name down the bottom.