Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Love pets, Hate training

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 15, 2010
As the subject says; I love pets but hate training them.

I would like some way to make training much shorter. Or even allow a character to pay gold or crowns and maybe snacks to have the pet go up to the next level without having to do the games.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
play the dance game, and get the first step wrong of the first three dances. After that you can feed your pet. It is the fastest game to lose.

Defender
Aug 26, 2010
I completely agree, I hate training them it's boring. The dance game is the only one I can get the full 4 points in, can only get 3 points in the maze, the cannon game changes the wind if you are able to get a bullseye (basically cheats) so I never get more than 1 or 2 points at that game, and completely fail at the drop game. There needs to be a better way, I think they should level up as you have them equiped. Or at least let them learn from each other, overtime, as they run around your castle.

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
It is designed to feel tedious so you will do other stuff besides just train.
We aren't intended to be able to train pets quickly and easily.

Survivor
Oct 28, 2009
I hate training them to. I really hate the dance game because you have to remeber all of those directions. I think that every time you level up 5 times whatever pet you have equipped level ups to.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
I guess if you are using regular snacks, you would want every pet exp point you could get... If you don't care about the points earned from the game itself, the games can be much shorter.
I just though you were trying to feed your pets faster. Intentionally failing the first three dances, in the dance game, is still the fastest way to feed a pet.

Delver
Jul 04, 2010
zebulous wrote:
I guess if you are using regular snacks, you would want every pet exp point you could get... If you don't care about the points earned from the game itself, the games can be much shorter.
I just though you were trying to feed your pets faster. Intentionally failing the first three dances, in the dance game, is still the fastest way to feed a pet.

but, just feeding the pet seems like a waste. Lets say your snack gives you 8xp. Would you rather have 8xp or 12xp? I know it's a small difference but it will add up over time.

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
The method provided for training faster by avoiding games is mega-snacks.
Yes. It will cost you to bypass the primary mechanics.

Survivor
Jul 08, 2010
Maybe I am missing something, but I can never use my pet in battle although just a teen, and cant sacrifice him. Is this normal? They have to be a certain level?

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
Intentionally failing the first three dances, in the dance game, is still the fastest way to feed a pet.

LOL I figured out that one on the Test Realm. But may suggest do the first step in the live realm? Some one with math and statistics back ground might be able to figure out how to maximize the amount of pet increase per unit time on that one. You only increase the number of actions by three key presses to get one more over intentionally failing.

Something I have done is run Wizard101 in windowed mode, then switch back and forth between training and doing whatever else you like to do on the web that can be paused (in my instance, watch Survivor episodes). Get any game except Cannon going, then do nothing more; eventually it loses, just switch over and feed the pet. Not as fast as intentionally failing the dance game but requiring less attention.

What happened though is I ran out of all my dropped pet snacks and had to resort to actually trying to do the game again. Hatching pets ate into the available gold for bought snacks.

Since the Cannon game does wait, you can use that one if you want those points. The issue I have found is that I forgot where the pet landed, or which way the wind was blowing previously.

A few hints on the maze game:
- the time duration the blue star for 'gobbling ghosts' is pretty short, do not race behind a ghost trying to catch it but rather try to find one to collide with head to head.
- the area around the tree is a good place to search for a ghost to collide with.
- the ghosts do not go down dead ends
- you run a bit faster than the ghosts, you can out run them, and if you get behind one you may have to pause, clear out a small dead end then.
- in corners the ghosts won't freeze you
- the bone and fish treat versions are the easiest to see clocks in the distance.
- the ghosts never share a path, they won't get you in a squeeze play

Since its two points per train for baby, I can get a pet to teen with the maze game and the right snacks, 48/2 * (3.5+4) = 180. My average is more like 3.8.

Keep in mind that if you always do the fish or bone you will end up with lop-sided training. If you plan on going to Epic, it really doesn't matter, most likely the pet will max out all of its attributes long before it gets to Epic.

And one more
- jumping does nothing in the maze game but it is funny looking, especially the jade oni.

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
beaudecker wrote:
Maybe I am missing something, but I can never use my pet in battle although just a teen, and cant sacrifice him. Is this normal? They have to be a certain level?

Pets are not minions. You cannot sacrifice pets.

You can only trigger a pet to cast if it has an Innate Card or has Talents that Give Cards. Pets can also cast if the have Talents that are May Cast.
The way most pets aid wizard in battle is with pips, boosts to damage, accuracy and resist - and also with boosts to health and mana.

Pets have to be a certain age to manifest their Innate Card - if they have one.
The age varies with each pet type.
Otherwise, it's just whenever the Talent manifests. Which is random.