Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Expert hatcher question

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
My new bone drake got a selfish talent, as did my wife's drake.

This talent increased an attribute, and I was wondering if that new max baseline would be passed on to a new hatched pet.
Ex.
I hatch a sea dragon with 250 strength with a bone dragon that has 265 strength due to a selfish talent (say 200 baseline strength+65 from selfish talent)
Would the new pet be calculated off of the 265 or just the 200?
If they are calculated off of the higher baseline, then we are looking at these "selfish" talents ALL WRONG and can increase the attributes indefinitely.

Does anyone know for sure what is the case?
Thanks,
pods

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
pods1973 wrote:
My new bone drake got a selfish talent, as did my wife's drake.

This talent increased an attribute, and I was wondering if that new max baseline would be passed on to a new hatched pet.
Ex.
I hatch a sea dragon with 250 strength with a bone dragon that has 265 strength due to a selfish talent (say 200 baseline strength+65 from selfish talent)
Would the new pet be calculated off of the 265 or just the 200?
If they are calculated off of the higher baseline, then we are looking at these "selfish" talents ALL WRONG and can increase the attributes indefinitely.

Does anyone know for sure what is the case?
Thanks,
pods

No, the factor for your bone dragon wouldnt be 265. The stat can be that of either parent. If it gets all of the stats of one parent, then that is the dominant parent. So basicly, your strength would either be 200, 225, or 250. It depends a lot on your luck.

This is why we view selfish talents as "bad" because the stat attributes are not passed on to the next generation via the bloodline. However the talent to manifest the selfish talent to gain the stat boost remains.

Plus selfish talents are so sticky you wouldnt even believe it. So people tend to try to keep them out of the bloodline so they dont risk the chance of it manifesting it.

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
That is a bummer. I wish when a pet got a selfish talent that their new baseline would be used to calculate max attributes in hatching.

I am aware of how hard it is to get a trait out of a pet's bloodline, and have the 25 or so Sea Dragons to prove it! I don't like any Epic talents, which only give cards. So getting that out of my sea dragons was difficult. Had to hatch them with my school pets to finally get a dragon that was Epic talent free, as it seems I always got a card talent at Epic.
Thanks for the response!
pods

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
pods1973 wrote:
That is a bummer. I wish when a pet got a selfish talent that their new baseline would be used to calculate max attributes in hatching.

I am aware of how hard it is to get a trait out of a pet's bloodline, and have the 25 or so Sea Dragons to prove it! I don't like any Epic talents, which only give cards. So getting that out of my sea dragons was difficult. Had to hatch them with my school pets to finally get a dragon that was Epic talent free, as it seems I always got a card talent at Epic.
Thanks for the response!
pods

Actually, there is a quite useful Epic Talent that a Sea Dragon can learn. And that is Spell-Proof, which gives +1% to +13% Universal Resistance. Quite useful.