Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Derby tournaments, anyone?

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 31, 2009
Heya all,

I've seen quite a few posts here about how derby is "dead", or "a waste of time". Well, believe it or not, there are in fact folks who do quite a bit of derby - folks who actually hatch for stat boosts and good derby abilities. No, really!

If you are interested in testing your pet against some of the best in the spiral, consider joining one of the many tournaments going on at Wizard101central.com. In fact, there are still a few spots available in the ANCIENT level pet tournament, so if you have an Ancient pet and think you've got what it takes, join!

There are many other tournaments planned for 2012, so get in on the first tournament of the year and find out what hard core derby racing is all about! :D

Casp

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
Caspeen wrote:
Heya all,

I've seen quite a few posts here about how derby is "dead", or "a waste of time". Well, believe it or not, there are in fact folks who do quite a bit of derby - folks who actually hatch for stat boosts and good derby abilities. No, really!

If you are interested in testing your pet against some of the best in the spiral, consider joining one of the many tournaments going on at Wizard101central.com. In fact, there are still a few spots available in the ANCIENT level pet tournament, so if you have an Ancient pet and think you've got what it takes, join!

There are many other tournaments planned for 2012, so get in on the first tournament of the year and find out what hard core derby racing is all about! :D

Casp

lol why did i imagine a texas person speaking when i read this

and second the reason pet derby is dead is because barely anyone does it and the waiting is even longer

Defender
May 31, 2009
grvy123 wrote:

No clue - nowhere NEAR Texas nor do I have an accent!

grvy123 wrote:
and second the reason pet derby is dead is because barely anyone does it and the waiting is even longer

Not AND - because. the reason pet derby is "dead" is because the waiting is even longer. I've made a few suggestions of how we can bring more people into derby, but in the mean time - that's what Tournaments are for! No waiting in line forever AND you get a chance to race some of the very best out there. Alas, no ranking involved, but if you're the competitive type, you'll have a blast.

(Said with no TX drawl...)

Casp

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
The main issue is that unless you're doing the unranked training matches, then you cannot decide which people team up against which. And it will often take for EVER to have anyone join the Derby ranked matches - and I find that usually, IF you do manage to get four people to join, then someone has popped off for a cup of tea (or are in a fight), and end up timing out from the queue. And then you are back to three wizards, to have a new one join, but then someone else has vanished...

And so on and so forth. That's the main issue with Derby - the rewards are actually pretty nice. I've got my eye on some of those pretty pets, for one, but it's impossible to get any ranked matches.

Champion
Jul 30, 2010
Hero
May 02, 2009
hanable33 wrote:
i gave up waiting because it took about 2 hours.

For ranked, yes waiting can take a long time. However, derby tournaments are done in practice, and usually lead to pretty nice rewards (sometimes crowns are given away).

Caspeen is actually a tournament master over at wizard101 central (tm's are people who help regulate and set-up tournaments).

So like she said, if anyone's interested then consider checking out the tournaments over on wizard101central.com, and don't forget to look us up too ;) (she's caspeen, and I'm flash333).

Thank you for your time and happy dueling.

Defender
May 31, 2009
Me again!

For those of who you have fast pets - I mean, all speed, blazing fast pets - there's a tournament on central called Course Masters where the goal is to set as many Course Records as you can.

Unlike many other tournaments, there is actual 1v1 racing - you are racing yourself and racing the clock.

Anyone can join, and you can also band together and compete as a Team.

Also, Central will be opening it's 2nd tournament for EPIC level pets sometime next week.

No waiting for matches to start and a chance to compete against some of the very best - what have you got to lose! Give it a try!

Casp

Explorer
Dec 25, 2010
flash33 wrote:
hanable33 wrote:

For ranked, yes waiting can take a long time. However, derby tournaments are done in practice, and usually lead to pretty nice rewards (sometimes crowns are given away).

Caspeen is actually a tournament master over at wizard101 central (tm's are people who help regulate and set-up tournaments).

So like she said, if anyone's interested then consider checking out the tournaments over on wizard101central.com, and don't forget to look us up too ;) (she's caspeen, and I'm flash333).

Why would they do it in practice? I mean I want the badge. Anyone can do practice. We need more people to do ranked!

Defender
May 31, 2009
Just wanted to get word about the newest batch of Derby tournaments on Central.

The Master of the Spiral is a series of Derby tournaments comprising races done in each of the six worlds within the Spiral. Each world you can only use pets dropped or themed for that world, and each race will be run on only courses from that world. At then end of all six worlds, the racers who have amassed the most points will be put into the Master Of The Spiral tournament, and there will be great crown prizes to the winners!

To be eligible, you need to join the individual world tournaments. First up, Wizard City!

Would love to see you there!

Casp

Hero
May 02, 2009
SoarinOC wrote:
flash33 wrote:
hanable33 wrote:

Why would they do it in practice? I mean I want the badge. Anyone can do practice. We need more people to do ranked!

The reason that derby tournaments are done in practice is because like in the practice pvp arena, you can choose which opponent you want to face, where-as in ranked, you never know what opponent(s) your gonna go up against. That's the reason tournaments are done in practice.

If you want the badge, then by all means, keep doing ranked, but practice not only lets people choose who to go up against, but it also allows people who don't have a sub (or enough crowns) to particiate too.

Survivor
Jul 10, 2012
Delver
Oct 27, 2009
As a wizard who does not care for pvp wizard fights, I was glad to see the pet derby added. I like the races, and would like to participate in it for the tickets and ranked badges.
I'm glad so many people are enjoying the practice races and tournament structure through Central, but I wish K I would make more incentive for people to play ranked races. If the waits were as long for regular pvp are they are for the ranked races there would be little participation there either. There needs to be a better 4th place reward so more people see it as worth their time to join a race and stay in it. Perhaps a better reward for Ancient and Epic pet races would help. Most people do not seem to bother with pets that are older than teen in the ranked races, or adult at most. Ancient and Epic pets are SOOO difficult to get into a race. I became a pet sergeant when the races were new, but since then, whenever I try to race a pet that is older than teen, I do not get in any races and usually give up and go back to quests and gardens.

Survivor
Mar 14, 2009
Quella4 wrote:
As a wizard who does not care for pvp wizard fights, I was glad to see the pet derby added. I like the races, and would like to participate in it for the tickets and ranked badges.
I'm glad so many people are enjoying the practice races and tournament structure through Central, but I wish K I would make more incentive for people to play ranked races. If the waits were as long for regular pvp are they are for the ranked races there would be little participation there either. There needs to be a better 4th place reward so more people see it as worth their time to join a race and stay in it. Perhaps a better reward for Ancient and Epic pet races would help. Most people do not seem to bother with pets that are older than teen in the ranked races, or adult at most. Ancient and Epic pets are SOOO difficult to get into a race. I became a pet sergeant when the races were new, but since then, whenever I try to race a pet that is older than teen, I do not get in any races and usually give up and go back to quests and gardens.

Being fairly new as I return to the game, I am finding the same situations with Derby Races (Ranked). It takes forever, people drop off, the search goes on and on.. I wonder actually if some do this on purpose somehow, to get a game started with less people or even just them and friends?

Either way - a little attention by the staff to how the derby's get started and continue once 4 people are found would be great - a little 'tuning' in this department, as they say.

Maybe have a few more 'rewards' for various levels of tickets to encourage people to start, and finish a derby. Really only the last pet from tickets appeals to me, and I'm pretty sure that's a lifetime of derby racing given it's so hard to start a match.

Is there a certain 'server' that has more races or racers on it - or are all the derby races 'pooled' from the different servers/realms?

Hero
May 02, 2009
Dreadicus wrote:
Quella4 wrote:

Being fairly new as I return to the game, I am finding the same situations with Derby Races (Ranked). It takes forever, people drop off, the search goes on and on.. I wonder actually if some do this on purpose somehow, to get a game started with less people or even just them and friends?

Either way - a little attention by the staff to how the derby's get started and continue once 4 people are found would be great - a little 'tuning' in this department, as they say.

Maybe have a few more 'rewards' for various levels of tickets to encourage people to start, and finish a derby. Really only the last pet from tickets appeals to me, and I'm pretty sure that's a lifetime of derby racing given it's so hard to start a match.

Is there a certain 'server' that has more races or racers on it - or are all the derby races 'pooled' from the different servers/realms?

To answer your question, its just like the pvp arena; when you go into the queue, it takes into account everyone who's signed up for it across all the realms, so usually you'll find yourself pitted against someone in a completely different realm than the one you're in alltogether.

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
Caspeen wrote:
grvy123 wrote:

No clue - nowhere NEAR Texas nor do I have an accent!

grvy123 wrote:

Not AND - because. the reason pet derby is "dead" is because the waiting is even longer. I've made a few suggestions of how we can bring more people into derby, but in the mean time - that's what Tournaments are for! No waiting in line forever AND you get a chance to race some of the very best out there. Alas, no ranking involved, but if you're the competitive type, you'll have a blast.

(Said with no TX drawl...)

Casp

Please do not attempt to correct grammer that you corrected incorrectly.

You meant to say that he said: The second reason that the pet derby is dead is because barely anyone does it (insert comma here if you so please or start a new sentence, i will do it both ways for example), AND (purposely capitalized) the wait is long too.

OR

You meant to say that he said: The second reason that the pet derby is dead is because barely anyone does it. The wait is long too.

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
There is hope for the derby. K I is listening and they have some new changes to it in the test realm. It took a little while to find some racers in the test realm to be able to check on it, but I am hoping once it goes live realm many more will start playing. The ranked derby will be a new way to feed your pet 2 snacks per race. As they are planning to add a 5th talent level to our pets, I have a feeling many higher level pets will be entering the derby soon, in their attempts to get that next level. I'm hoping it gets many more people interested in derby racing, resulting in short derby waits.

Explorer
Apr 29, 2009
Yep, Derby is dead. I thought maybe the ability to feed your pet twice win, lose, or draw would bring in racers but nope. Pretty much can put ranked Derby in the same category as ranked PvP...useless.

Survivor
Aug 27, 2011
i relly wish they had a count down after it reach all player even if the player isnt paying attion as long as 2 people whant to race let em come on 8)

Survivor
Nov 15, 2012
darn, im almost an acient, i need 20 more exp.