Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Combining Talents & Wasting Money! IDeas?

AuthorMessage
Armiger
May 10, 2010
Ok, I have had some experience at this, but since the update, I got 2 useless pets. Any ideas?

Let me explain.

First, I hatched a Damp Demon that had a pedigree of 56, with the talents of Spell Proof, Pips, Health Gift, and Storm Aura.

With a FireWalker that has a pedigree of 53 and talents of Spritely, Pips, Spell Proof, and Storm Aura.

Now, I know both Storm Aura and Spell Proof, should have a great chance of being in the offspring, since both parents have these talents.

What was my goal you ask? To get a Damp Demon, with the Dragon Blade, to have Spell proof, spritely, pips, and storm aura.

So, the hatch costed me 50,010 gold. And, as I had hoped, I got a maelstrom egg, which is the Damp Demon.

So, anyways. I have some mega snacks, so I start training the pet right away. Since both pets have active talents, I should have a much higher chance of getting active talents in my offspring, so, to me, this pet looks very promising.

Anywas, I get the pet to teen, and what talent do I get? Spirited, which adds 50 to power. Ok, so I managed to get a passive talent or selfish as some like to call them. Fine, it happens. That should leave 3 active talents easy, by the odds. So, when I get to Adult, my pet gets the talent durable, another selfish talent.

So, in other words, I just spent, 50,010 gold plus $7.00 in crowns training the pet, to get what? to get nothing.

Now, I have an idea, and I will also post this there, but how about a gypsy that can show us our pets talents before we train them. You can charge us gold or crowns, but at least I wont waste all my money for nothing.

Anyone else have any thoughts or ideas on this matter?

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
darthjt wrote:

So, in other words, I just spent, 50,010 gold plus $7.00 in crowns training the pet, to get what? to get nothing.

You only describe one "useless" pet.
And, you only trained that one to Adult from what it sounds like.
You got two Talents you don't like. We don't know if they are actually useless.
Only way to tell is to see what other 2 Talents manifest.
A useless pet would be an Epic pet that has no Talents that can aid your wizards in battle.

Greatest chance is still only a chance.
Generally takes 7-9 Hatches to get 3 or more Talents you plan for.

Now, I have an idea, and I will also post this there, but how about a gypsy that can show us our pets talents before we train them.
Highly unlikely to happen. They even removed the preview of the eggs from the Dye Shop
They did reduce the Hatch price by 25%.
Better than nothing.

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
Also, the pet may manifest pips and Spell-Proof at Ancient and Epic.
But, if you really are concerned about cost, you should level your pets in the Test Realm first to see if it's worth the effort and expense in the Live Realm.

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
With a FireWalker that has a pedigree of 53 and talents of Spritely, Pips, Spell Proof, and Storm Aura.

You know, that is not bad by itself. Matter of fact, I dream of the day I can make a Wraith with Spritely from my Satyr (second account) and Storm Aura from my Storm kitty.

You got me wondering though, I did a hatch with a Rain Demon and got back just another Wraith, but I could have sworn the Rain Demon had Pip Boost instead of Pip O' Plenty, maybe I should go train that one up.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
ic0517 wrote:

You know, that is not bad by itself. Matter of fact, I dream of the day I can make a Wraith with Spritely from my Satyr (second account) and Storm Aura from my Storm kitty.

You got me wondering though, I did a hatch with a Rain Demon and got back just another Wraith, but I could have sworn the Rain Demon had Pip Boost instead of Pip O' Plenty, maybe I should go train that one up.

Ok, first of, let me address bcbdla.

I think you can tell, from our discussions, that yes, I know it takes 7 - 10 hatches to get around 3 to 4 of the talents you want. How do you think I got the damp demon and the firewalker with the talents they have. And, who knows, but maybe this has something to do with it, but this is the first time I cross bred these two, so maybe that has something to do with them going massively passive on me.

Yes, I know that the pet may still get spritely and spell proof or pips, then I will have to try again. Just saying I dont know why, after so many hatches they reverted back to having passive talents.

And, this hatch was today and cost me 50,010 gold, so there is no 25% savings there. That is how much I have been paying for quite some time.

As for getting pip boost and pip o plenty, yes it is possible to get both talents. If one pet has one and the other pet has the other, talents can transfer over. So, if you want spritely, storm aura, pip boost, and pip o plenty, you have a lot of hatching and training to do.