Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Most Mooshu names are in Chinese!

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 25, 2009
Spoiler alert for Mooshu!

I've spoken Mandarin Chinese for quite a long time (I'm American), and I've noticed lately that in Mooshu, that some names are in Chinese! Such as a Recipe Vender in Village of Sorrow, his name is Shang Hao. Shang Hao roughly translate to Mountain street, or mountain road. I found this pretty cool! There are more, but I won't name them all.
I just wanted to say that I found it pretty interesting!
(For all of you Chinese speakers out there: This only makes sense with the correct pinyin, or it doesn't make sense.)

Gabriel Mythwraith, Master Diviner
Anthony Ghosthunter, Legendary Theurgist

Mastermind
Mar 28, 2009
When I looked up Shang Hao it said it meant "The Number" and that has nothing to relate to snacks :-P

Defender
May 25, 2009
Are you sure you used the correct character? In Chinese, if you pronounce the words a certain way, they can sound different.

All I'm saying is that they aren't completely random (like spoon vacuum), and they make sense. It would be even cooler if they made things related to snacks for the snack vendors!

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
Also, some of the names (particularly of the Samoorai and Ninja Pigs - yeah, that's in no way a reference to real life) are in Japanese (gee).

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
Mooshu is based off of Japan. If you look closely, everything is Japanese. Look at the swords, names, the samoorai (unless China has those, idk ;) ) If it were Chinese, i am sure it would make some sort of reference to the Great wall of China, as Krokotopia did to the Great Pyramid of Gyza. Also look at the designs of the buildings, and landscape. Japanese! :-D

Survivor
Feb 16, 2009
I've always thought of Mooshu as a jumble of all Asian continents- it definitely has both Chinese and Japanese influence. It looks more Japanese, but sometimes the outfits are Chinese, and the names are mixed. I have no idea what the Chinese names mean, but if you go to the turtle dude who is the house vendor, you'll see his name is 'kame'- that literally means 'turtle'. Creative, right?